4.0 out of 5 stars A departure of sorts
Published on January 10, 2008 by Russell Evansen

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Like "The Reminder" By Feist
Reviews on Amazon for this album tend to neglect the obvious comparison that Sia should evoke - Leslie Feist. If at all you liked "1234" or Feist's full length album "The Reminder", you will love this album. It is definitely an acquired taste, but if you were hooked by that "Six Feet Under" track, then theres a lot here to love.

On my Ipod, it seems as though...
Published on January 31, 2008 by Marc Cabir Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars A departure of sorts, January 10, 2008
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
Those who know Sia Furler from her outstanding work with Zero 7 - or even her previous solo album "Colour the Small One" - may be a bit surprised by the approach she takes here. Lacking the electronic sheen of her previous work, this latest release is more straight-up pop-soul, but it mostly works very well. The lead-off track "Little Black Sandals" should be a radio hit (if radio had any intelligent life) and throughout, Sia's distinctive vocals come through loud and clear. It's hard to believe she's still so young, since it seems like she's been around for a while. But up to now she's been kind of a figure in the background, with one of those voices that makes you grab the track listings on a CD and search desperately for the singer's name. With this record, she steps out of the shadows and into the spotlight. I hope it brings her the attention she deserves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, January 26, 2008
RavenLullaby (Queens, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
This is the first album I purchased by Sia, and I have to say that I'm loving "Some People Have Real Problems". Sia's voice is mellow, but it also has an intoxicating quality to it. I like pretty much all the songs on here, but the ones that really stand out to me are "Lentil", "Day Too Soon", and "Academia". My absolute favorites from this record are "Soon We'll Be Found" which conveys a situation of a couple that's having problems and fighting perfectly, "Lullaby" which is simple, yet so haunting, and "I Go To Sleep", which I think is becoming one of my favorite songs, because the way she sings it is really captivating, and you can almost feel the loneliness, as she sings about missing someone she loves. I'm going to get Sia's other albums now, since I'm enjoying this one a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Lot Like "The Reminder" By Feist, January 31, 2008
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)

On my Ipod, it seems as though these songs need to breathe on a big system instead. Sia's breathy voice is suited for both jazz-oriented, as well as regular pop songs (both genres are present on this record). Though not a huge follower of her work, I had indeed heard "Color the Small One" a few years ago, and this album is definitely more listenable than that one.

The only thing I didn't quite get was the samey-sounding tracks towards the end of the album. It reminded me of 2007's albums by A Fine Frenzy, Sara Bareilles and even Vanessa Carlton - all of whom had some good songs on their CD, but not much variety. If not for this, I would award this album a good four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Voice You Can't Forget, December 5, 2008
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
Sia's unusual voice first grabbed my attention on Zero 7's "Simple Things". After seeing her perform at the Bat Bar on DirctTV's channel 101, I bought this album. I love it, but she may not be for everyone. She is quirky and weird and it does come through on songs like Acedemia, Playground, and Buttons. If you're not sure, go to YouTube and check out her videos. She does some very nice work on Morning Becomes Eclectic (KCRW)You get a clean recording of her superb voice control and her exceptional band. And you can hear songs in their entirety. As a matter of fact I think the version of "I Go to Sleep" on the KCRW album "Sounds Eclectic-The Covers Project" is better than the one on this album - not quite so slow. She is on the mainstream radar now since her recent performance on Dave Letterman. Watch that one too. She is so genuinely happy and thrilled David Letterman loved her performance that she jumps up and down like a little kid. In the end, it's her exceptional voice that stays with you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, January 28, 2008
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
Once again, Sia has created a beautiful, thoughtful, personal album. The tracks are all quite unique as is her style. Her voice seems to be maturing with time and age into an ever improving artist. I Go to Sleep is one of my favorite tracks as well as Little Black Sandals...It's great to hear a voice like hers amidst all of the pre-packaged, overly manufactured crap that the recording industry tries to shove down our throats these days.

3.0 out of 5 stars Miss the Music, January 11, 2008
mh1975 (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
I love love loved Colour the Small One but am disappointed to hear that this album lacks the musical and instrumental depth that "colour" offers. The because of this, the songs tend to sound similar across the board, rather than offering the interest and variation that could've come with more instruments. Sounds straight out of the studio. I give 3 stars for her beautiful voice, but that's it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The next world wide sensation without doubt, June 1, 2009
Mark (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
I saw Sia on "later with Jools Holland" from the UK and was stunned. She just mesmerised me with her voice and stage presence. Id never heard of her. Coldplay were on the same show and they looked to be equally blown away.

Jools said she was Australian which stunned me more because i follow the music scene closely (or so i thought) here in Australia and hadnt heard of her. She certainly isnt what i would call big here in Australia.

BUT that must surely be about to change. This woman is amazing.

The song "soon will be found" got me hook line and sinker.

Get into her music now and watch her take the world by storm.

Another Australian is about to take it to the world !!!!

Just sensational !!

5.0 out of 5 stars What music should sound like, September 16, 2009
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
I stumbled upon Zero 7 and discovered Sia, a group member, shortly afterwards. I have never felt music on this level before. I love many genres of music but hands down this is the best cd I have ever heard. If you into Duffy, Adele, Regina Spektor, Amy Winehouse etc.. I recommend Sia! She is by far my favorite!

4.0 out of 5 stars Undeniably Great!, January 7, 2008
Cale E. Reneau "Mound of Wires" (Conroe, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some People Have Real Problems (Audio CD)
It doesn't seem like too long ago that I was raving about Sia's most recent album, Colour the Small One, when in reality it was almost 2 years ago that I first heard the album. It was released overseas 2 years prior to that. So for all those Sia fans out there who have been clamoring for some new solo material since 2004, rejoice! Your day has arrived! Some People Have Real Problems is a very different album than Sia's last. Where Colour the Small One, made it's mark with somber, inventive pop songs, this album is much more upfront, energetic, and vocally driven. Sia has seemingly transformed herself from a niche vocalist into someone that the mainstream can't possibly turn away from.

The album's first track is "Little Black Sandals," a song that is extremely reminiscent of the music found on Colour the Small One (one of only two songs that can make such a claim). It tells the story of Sia escaping a troublesome, if not unhealthy relationship. In the chorus, she sings "These little black sandals are walking me away. These little black sandals saved my life today," in a very understated manner. In the last verse she gives us a hint of what is to come on the album by soulfully, and earnestly crying, "He was the line between pleasure and pain, but me and the feet have some years to reclaim!"

The soulful Sia takes over from here, and she rarely lets up through the remainder of the album. "Lentil," which many will remember from her Lady Croissant live album, is an absolutely beautiful track. The lyrics here are touching to say the least. In the chorus she belts, "I never meant to let you down. I'm trying not to fall apart" with such passion that goosebumps are almost assured. In the final, triumphant chorus, she's singing with enough gusto to make Christina Aguilera hide in a closet and assume the fetal position. "Day Too Soon" is a bit jazzier than its predecessor, and is about finally finding the right man ("I've been waiting all my life. You're not a day too soon."), which I assume is a great joy.

"You Have Been Loved" is yet another great song, but at times it seems as if Sia is injecting a bit too much soul into her voice. Her voice cracks and whimpers several times in the song, and while it adds to the song, it can also be a bit distracting. Which brings me to my first complaint about Some People Have Real Problems. Sia is taking a more soulful approach to singing this time around, and after a while it starts to wear on me. After 4 or 5 songs you start to wonder if she'll ever start singing in an understated manner again. It's not bad by any means, but a little more vocal variety would be appreciated.

And sure enough, she delivers. "The Girl You Lost to Cocaine" is an absolute blast to listen and sing along to. Sia songs have always been very "ballad-y." But this songs is reminiscent of "Where I Belong" in that it is a fun, upbeat track. Again she discusses walking away from a stale relationship, singing, "I can't survive with you by my side. See, I'll never get laid while I'm running your life." Ha! "Academia" is another peculiar song. The lyrics are quirky, to be sure, and Sia smartly sings them like a little girl. It works mostly due to it's quirkiness (though I was distracted at first because it's the exact same chord progression to the bridge of St. Vincent's "Jesus Saves, I Spend"). Speaking of exactness, "I Go to Sleep" is a cover of a song by The Pretenders. So if you're a fan of them, I recommend it. Sia puts a nice spin on it.

"Playground" once again pumps up the quirkiness, along with some truly cool production (it sounds kind of like a Psapp song). Sia calmly states, "I don't wanna grow old, bring me all the toys you can find. You don't want to grow up, you can be my partner in crime." Cute. "Death by Chocolate" is a brilliantly written song where Sia returns to a more soulful, gospel style of singing. When she sings, "Death my chocolate is a myth, this I know because I lived," I can't help but think of "The Church of What's Happening Now" when she says, "I'm going to eat one hundred sweets." I guess she did. And this brings me to my favorite song on the album, "Soon We'll Be Found," in which Sia describes the scene of a couple fighting, and losing sleep. Her voice is perfectly suited to this song, and every time she sings "Let's not fight. I'm sorry, can't we just sleep tonight?" my heart breaks. As emo as that sounds, it's true. It is an absolutely gorgeous song!

And now for my second complaint about Some People Have Real Problems: it is far too long of an album. At nearly an hour in length, even the good songs start to wear on you. The next three songs("Electric Bird," "Beautiful Calm Driving" (which is very reminiscent of Colour the Small One), " and "Lullaby") are all beautiful songs and worth of being heard, but by the time you get to them you've probably lost interest. Granted, if you're one of those people who listen to an album a few songs at a time, it probably won't bother you. But if you're like me, and you like listening to albums as a whole, this can be a little disheartening. In my opinion, "Soon We'll Be Found" would have been an excellent closer. Oh well. Because in the end, I can't be too disappointed by something that is as beautiful and refreshing as Some People Have Real Problems. Sia has blown me away! Just when I thought I'd heard everything she had to offer, she completely transforms herself into a soulful pop diva, a force to be reckoned with. It may throw off some longtime fans, but sometimes grandiose greatness does that.

Recommended for fans of Sia, Zero 7, and for anyone who ever thought Christina Aguilera's voice was soulful. This is real soul! (Cheap shot. Sorry.)

Key Tracks:
1. "Lentil"
2. "Day Too Soon"
3. "The Girl You Lost to Cocaine"
4. "Academia"
5. "Soon We'll Be Found"

8 out of 10 Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing in concert, February 25, 2008
My first review. Let me be quick and to the point. I saw Sia on Late Night with Conan (I'd put the link but NBC removed it from youtube.... lame)and don't think I've ever heard of anything quite like her. She also has a cute personality. Anyways I looked her up and bought this album and love it. I went to her website and she was playing in Salt Lake City in 2 weeks so my wife and I went and thought she was great. I can not believe what an amazing voice she has in person... no mixing just an awesome voice. I can't wait for her to come back after her next album.

Some People Have Real Problems
Some People Have Real Problems by Sia (Audio CD - 2008)