Customer Discussions > Guild Wars 2 forum

Some Reasons Why You Might NOT Like GW2

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 168 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2012 2:54:33 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 18, 2013 9:52:57 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 6:25:35 PM PDT
Descepticon says:
Everything you said I exactly why I like GW2. They need to really stop making WoW clones it make me sick.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 11:12:05 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
More reasons:
* You hate fun

* Your town has yet to discover this new fangled "e-lek-tris-uh-tee"

* You were dropped on your head as a child

Just kidding. Very good list, Innocente. A couple comments:

RE the holy trinity: And ANet dev was on XPlay yesterday and actually uttered the word "tank" on camera. I expected Rytlock himself to burst into the studio and decapitate him where he stood. :)

RE crafting: I don't recall WoW crafting having much uber gear that was better than drops. One, maybe two items. But then I was a smith....which is just.....just an AWFUL choice. What I love about GW2 crafting is there are so many USEFUL choices of items you can make (at least in the early level I got to). Especially if you're a profession with a lot of available weapon sets. In WoW it seemed like you just spammed 1 or 2 recipes (usually the cheapest in mats) until you leveled to the next tier of recipes (repeat). And there was something actually useful maybe every 5-10 levels? But again....smithing is just dreadful. Plus you had to take a gathering profession with your other profession slot. In GW2 everyone can gather, you just need to buy the appropriate (consumable) gathering tools.

Posted on Jul 27, 2012 12:30:51 PM PDT
This post is helpful, if a bit skewed in how it presents GW2's differences. I'd advise veteran MMO players to be a bit skeptical of GW2. There are a lot of early-adoption fans singing its praises, but like the OP hints at, this is an MMO that breaks a few rules. It feels a bit different, and it really won't be everyones' cup of tea.

Gear isn't that important. Raiding (for now) isn't that important. The game will probably be dominated by PvPers, and development might reflect that. There is direct gold-buying from the publisher (dollars->gems->gold) and there's a risk that could skew development, even if it isn't obvious that's pay to win (as of now) because of how unimportant gear or money is. The game doesn't have the type of fun collectibles WoW has or anything like it.

It has a lot going for it, and it's nice to see a game really trying to be different. But my reaction coming from WoW and playing the beta wasn't all that impressed. It's not a bad game, from what I saw, but some things threw me. This really won't appeal to a lot of veteran MMO players, or if it does, it will appeal to them as a different kind of game. And different may or may not be better for each person's taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 2:09:07 PM PDT
Trust Me says:
Now that was a good unbiased post, thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 6:21:09 PM PDT
Thank you for the post on the reasons people may not like GW2, but to me all of the reasons you posted are the very reason i love GW2 so much during BWE.

As for the 'holy trinity', i never really cared about it mostly because i am a solo player, and if a game won't allow me to sustain myself for the reason being that my 'role' can never dish out enough damage, or is too defenseless, that's why i'm glad its gone in GW2

Posted on Jul 28, 2012 7:28:52 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
@tractormanuals What didn't impress you? What threw you? Or did your post pretty much sum it up? Could be helpful answers for people wandering into this thread.

Are you saying you think the cash shop setup will lead to a non-obvious P2W setup because they focus on how to get more from the cash shop? I hear the GW1 cash shop was successful, but I won't claim to be an expert, nor can I predict the future. At least not right now. I'm tired. :)

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:18:04 AM PDT
Aaron Miller says:
Have been burned out on MMO's for a while, and didn't really like GW 1 all that much (was too focused on pvp for me, not enough PVE or group content as far as I played). Currently I'm vaugely interested in GW2, but haven't paid much attention.

How much different is it than GW1 in terms of combat and controls?

Is there more to PVE now?

How is the group content?

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 10:47:32 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
I've not played GW1, but from what I've heard, GW2 is quite different. There is tons of PvE content, so if that is what you are looking for, I don't think you'll be disappointed. In fact you can play PvE exclusively and never have to see the PvP content.

I can't speak for how the combat and controls differ, but I DO know that skills are pared WAY down. I hear GW1 has tons of skills and combinations of skills available. In GW2, there are 8 professions. Each profession has a certain set of weapons they can use. Each main hand weapon sets your first 3 skills, each off hand sets your next two, 2-hand weapons set all 5. And the skills differ by profession (i.e. thief sword skills are entirely different from warrior sword skills). Each prof has it's own self-heal (3 actually, but only one active at a time). Then 3 utility skill slots (which can be filled with any of a couple dozen utility skills per prof). And one elite skill slot.

Movement is also very important. You don't stack a bunch of armor and health and let things hit you. You use blocks, dodging, and control skills (immobilize, knockback, blind, etc...) to not get hit at all.

"Group" content is hard to define. There are traditional dungeons--which I have yet to try--that have two modes. Story mode - which is easier, and focuses on telling the story of the dungeon/area or the world in general. Explorable mode - harder mode available after completing story mode, which allows you to choose 1 of 3 paths through the dungeon. Outside of dungeons (and PvP), you CAN run around with a party of friends (or strangers), but group content grows beyond structured groups due to the dynamic event system. All sorts of dynamic events are triggered all over the world, and anyone--grouped or not--who is in the area can participate. You don't have to pick up a quest, just participate. You don't have to worry about competing against other players to get more kills or collect more items. Everyone gets credit for participation. And you don't have to worry about that boss being easy mode, because 50 people are beating on him, because dynamic events SCALE based on the number of people participating.

Toss on the fact that everyone has heal/support spells that benefit not just their party, but anyone nearby, and that everyone can heal downed players and rez defeated players, and you have a system that makes just about everything (great) group content without any actual grouping. Even with people you will never see again from that moment on.

Hope that helps.

Posted on Jul 30, 2012 11:12:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 30, 2012 11:17:28 AM PDT
Aaron Miller says:
Are you forced to multi class? In GW1 you had 2 classes as I recall. I think you could level as just one, but you were gimped if you did. I didn't like that.

Oh, and thanks for the info

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2012 4:53:41 PM PDT
Swag says:
You're not forced to do much of anything. You have different weapons that you can switch between which all give different abilities/options, but your "class" never changes. For example, you might play a Thief with dagger/dagger which gives you four melee and one ranged ability; or you might swap to pistol/pistol for five ranged attacks; or pistol/dagger for both melee and ranged options; or use a shortbow for ranged AEs. Simply put, while you're only one "class," you are given more variety within that class than you see in most classic MMOs.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 5:22:55 AM PDT
Aaron Miller says:
Sweet, thanks for the info. Sounds like a much better system than GW1 IMO. I HATED the fact that multi classing was pretty much mandatory. Also glad that they added jump.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 11:12:04 AM PDT
J. W. Hill says:
Multi-classing is non existent. And you're welcome. :)

And I actually find that dagger/pistol is better for melee. You get daze to limit enemy mobility, and a blind (plus combo field) to limit getting hit. And Pistol dagger almost makes more sense for ranged, since you have dagger throw, and a quick stealth if you need to get at range again.

Great thing is, it doesn't matter!!! People can play it however they want! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:04:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 6:05:00 AM PDT
I sounded it out...i felt super dumb afterwards. hahaha thanks for that.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 2:15:04 PM PDT
TM says:
I just played two hours of the stress test and I'm pretty disappointed. The controls and camera movement seem really clunky and annoying. I eventually just closed the game out of sheer frustration. The music is really good though.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:57:32 PM PDT
Innocente says:
@Todd,
Interesting, I played the stress test and had very clean control, camera, and performance through the whole time. I am assuming that you are using your mouse to move and strafe during combat? Trying to use the keyboard for any kind of movement during combat is going to result in a very poor experience. I am also thinking that if you were in this Stress Test, that you have already purchased the game, since general public and BWE3 Key users were not allowed in. Was this your first time running GW2?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 6:19:52 PM PDT
TM says:
Yeah, it was the first time running the game. I actually pre-purchased it yesterday. I tried it again and turned off the camera shaking option, and also started using the mouse instead of the keyboard to move and it was a lot better. Getting a new video card probably wouldn't hurt either. I did the "Snaff Prize" event and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to release now!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 10:53:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 2, 2012 10:56:19 PM PDT
Innocente says:
@Todd,
Neet! I had problems when I first started to learn the Move & Fight paradigm. It became much easier when I configured my two side Mouse buttons to strafe Left/Right and used my RMB for turning. That allows me to keep my left hand on the abilities keys and not used for movement at all during combat. Using my mouse wheel button(s) to shift the 1-6 number keys allows me to have all my abilities on the 1-6 row during combat and movement.

Yes, one of the first things I always do is turn off the dang 'camera shake' in games. :)

Just FYI, playing a Ranged character/build is much easier to start out with than a close-in melee character.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 10:19:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 10:21:25 AM PDT
I gotta say great post Innocente and you honestly sold me on getting the game by listing all these reasons others may not like it, kudos!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:21:10 AM PDT
Trust Me says:
Unless this is the first 3D MMO you've played I dont see any reasons why anyone would have problems with the controls and movement. It handles the same and just as smoothly as any other 3D MMO.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:03:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 2:04:56 PM PDT
Innocente says:
@Trust Me,
True enough, TM. I think the real change is that in GW2, you really must both Move and Shoot at the same time. To stay still is to die. While many (all?) Shooters have this mechanic, most shooters have a very limited number of skills to employ while on the move, so it is not such a big deal. GW2, on the other hand, gives a class from 10 to 15 skills to use while on the move. Even skills with cast times are usable on the move. This kind of FPS Move&Shoot is really something traditional MMOs have not provided very much.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2012 11:28:55 AM PDT
Swag says:
I'd recommend using keyboard/pad + Naga. Turn with the mouse, strafe and move forward/back with the keyboard/pad. GW2 movement is no different than any other MMO, though the animations can feel a bit...floaty... if you're staring at your char while moving a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 6:48:16 AM PDT
This post was a relieft to see. I know alot of people do it all with mouse, but was getting worried that it woudl become a requirement.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:10:28 AM PDT
Brendan Ross says:
Good post.

I'd say that the people who are going to like GW2 the least are the people who really like endgame incremental gear "progression" a la what WoW has been doing since 2004. GW2 doesn't offer that to the player -- it will be fairly easy to get the stat cap gear at endgame, and so there are no gear/stat advantages for the "dedicated" players (although there is some very nice looking gear that is harder to get, it's a cosmetic and not a stat issue). That will be a stumbling block for some players. I like the GW2 set up because I don't like the typical MMO endgame scenario of endless incremental stat increase grinding. But I think quite a few of the more hardcore "won't see a reason to play" if they don't have a skinner box type reward scheme.

It has to do with why one plays these games. GW2 is focused on giving the player fun content for its own sake, not as an instrumental means to advance your character's stats. That's a big paradigm shift for an MMORPG. And some players won't like it. I've seen posts in other MMO forums like the following: "I don't play MMOs for fun, dude. If I wanted to play a game for fun, I'd play BF3.". Seems like an odd thing to say, but I think the skinner box approach runs deep in many players of the genre.

It will be interesting to see how the game is received.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 7:17:18 AM PDT
Aaron Miller says:
I'm confused. How would one move and control the camera with a mouse?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Guild Wars 2 forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Jul 26, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Guild Wars 2
Guild Wars 2 by NCSOFT (Windows)
3.7 out of 5 stars   (588)