Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Some questions about PB 20th Anniversary Edition

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 15, 2009 5:44:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2009 5:48:12 PM PST
Details have been scarce on this release, so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone knows what's up.

1.) Are there no bonus tracks? No second disc? Seems not, based on the tracklisting. I know that most of the officially released rarities from this era are remixes and instrumental versions, but it would still be nice to have them collected. Plus, there are a few other actual songs from the era, like "Some Dumb Cop Gave Me 2 Tickets Already."

2.) Is "B-Boy Bouillabaisse" really split up into separate tracks now? Not a big deal, I suppose, but it kind of dilutes the impact of this 12-and-a-half minute hip-hop operetta.

3.) It says the original vinyl cover is faithfully reproduced. So please tell me the text on the cover in that terrible typewriter font (and the parental advisory sticker) is part of a plastic overlay, or printed on a sticker on the shrink-wrap.

4.) Speaking of the original vinyl cover, I see a limited edition vinyl version is being made. Will it be an eight-fold cover like the original release?

I can let all of this pass as long as the remaster job is decent. The current CD version of this album is just terrible compared to the vinyl version. Here's hoping it actually is "remastered for improved sound" instead of "the volume levels are cranked really loud." I'm betting the Beasties did the right thing, as I've already got my pre-order in. I just might get the vinyl too, so I can keep my original eight-fold edition in good shape!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 6:31:58 PM PST
The Lippmans says:
Exactly my thoughts!
I don't like B-Boy Boulliabaisse being split up, but maybe that's just me.
And personally I think it would be incredible beyond belief if there was a second disc of the b-sides ("33% God," "Some Dumb Cop...") and then the instrumental version of Paul's Boutique in its entirety, so we can hear every little musical crevice dug deep into the recording.
And last year I was suckered into the Odelay Deluxe Edition. The b-sides were cool, but I almost got rid of my worn-out regular Odelay before I heard the remastering; it was horrific, like seeing the most beautiful sight of your life go up in flames, or get killed with a chainsaw. I hope Paul's Boutique isn't destroyed like Odelay was LAST January.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2009 6:41:29 PM PST
Rita, now you've got me worried. :-) I forgot how Odelay (also a Dust Brothers production) got thoroughly destroyed in its remastering.

An instrumental version of the album would be incredible. Or at least the original Dust Brothers tracks that were put together before the Beasties became involved with the project.

It just seems like there's so much more they could be doing with this, but like I said before, all will be forgiven as long as the remastering job is decent. I'm dying to find out!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 5:25:43 AM PST
mvsrocks says:
If I had to guess why there's no bonus tracks (b-sides and unreleased songs from the era), I would say that those songs have loads of uncleared samples (if you remember, you didn't have to clear samples in 1989). I'm guessing that the samples on the actual album are grandfathered in, whereas the b-sides (which are now out of print), and certainly the unreleased songs would cost a fortune to clear. I never thought I'd see a remastered Paul's Boutique, so while it would be better with the bonus songs (of which 33% God and Dis Yourself in '89/Just Do It are essential), this should do nicely for now. Hopfully nothing will prevent the Beasties from re-releasing Check Your Head with all the b-sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2009 12:23:26 PM PST
Check Your Head will be out April 7 - a two-disc set with, presumably, all the b-sides and hopefully more:

Check Your Head

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 7:37:59 AM PST
The Lippmans says:
Oh no way! My (close) 2nd favorite Beasties album!
Well I guess now I can get both and load up on the remastered Beasties love!
The only thing I find annoying is I bought both albums only a little over a year ago now (yes, I'm new to these geniuses)...

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 6:23:10 PM PST
Well, now we've got it and all our questions answered. B-Boy Bouillabaisse is indeed split up into separate tracks. Like I mentioned before, it's not a big deal when listening to it; I just fear future generations who discover the album this way may not understand the cajones it took to put a 12-minute suite at the end of the album. No bonus tracks at all, but what mvsrocks said is probably correct...the samples were probably never cleared for the b-sides (memories differ as to whether they were ever cleared for the album proper).

So it comes down to how does it sound? Very, very good, in my opinion. I still think it's not as good as the original vinyl, but it comes pretty darn close. A lot of the more subdued soundbites that disappeared on the original CD are now audible. It's not over-bearingly loud, like most CDs of our era, which is a plus. Most importantly, it's as faithful as possible to the original sound, unlike what happened to Odelay. While the original vinyl is still the gold standard for this album (there's a "warmth" that just can't be reproduced digitally), this is a perfectly acceptable substitute when you can't carry around your record player. :-)

I'm surprised that Check Your Head is also coming out this year. For what? 17th anniversary? Oh well, I'll buy that too! The Beasties' first three LPs are all masterpieces of modern music, and we know we're getting some bonus tracks with the CYH reissue, so I'm there!

Final say, if you are a fan of the Boys, this album, hip-hop, the '70s, or just great, endlessly listenable music, pick up this reissue now! My copy will probably be going up for sale so that I can buy the deluxe edition from the B-Boys' site with the vinyl copy, poster, t-shirt, etc. :-)

Posted on Oct 19, 2015 10:11:26 PM PDT
spider-man says:
I bought a Paul's Boutique CD, but near the bottom of the CD it has the year of 1989 printed on the label. I was hoping to get the 20th anniversary version. Do the 20th anniversary CDs have "2009" on the label? Thanks in advance!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jan 15, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 19, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions