Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on August 22, 2012
Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. It gets fun when it throws romance into the mix. That makes a great story which Kristan Higgins gives you in Somebody to Love.

A woman who has spent her life with all the money she could ever have from her estranged father suddenly finds herself and her son with nothing but a few bucks and a shack in Maine. Trying to salvage what she has of her life and start over, Parker finds herself alone with the man she can't stand and who is her father's right-hand man. It gets worse when she finds herself feeling things she had long buried. A relationship with Thing One is not something needs right now or wants. Or does she?

The story was a little slow at first as it developed. It really got fun when the setting shifted to Maine and the various supporting characters stepped in. They brought life and color to the book. Ms. Higgins brings in humor and fun as she deals with life's blows.

A few times the story moved too slowly as it focused on the feelings of the characters. I had more fun as I watched them get into trouble and try to get out as best they could.

There are some intimate scenes in this book but not too much that you can't enjoy the romance if you don't like them. This is a great read for the beach or on your own dock watching the waves.

Note: The book was supplied by the publisher with no expectation of a positive review.
on May 23, 2012
Happy to say that Kristan Higgins has bounced back after that last awful book, "Until There Was You." This is her second foray writing in third person and it is a winner. It featured characters from earlier books, but really, it had been so long since I read those, I was having a hard time remembering them.

I noticed a definite change in style from her previous books. Though her others were laugh-out-loud funny, "Somebody to Love" was more subtle with its humor and had a decidedly tender tone. There were unexpected twists and turns throughout the story that made the characters deeper and richer.

Parker wasn't perfect by any means. Her hesitation towards a relationship with James was frustrating. But overall, she is wonderfully lovable and the ease in which she adjusts to her new life without money is admirable. James -- well, when he says he fell in love with Parker the first time he sees her in the hospital after giving birth, I fell in love with HIM. His character, besotted with Parker for years, turns out to be far more than the empty suit Parker perceives him to be. That beautiful last scene with James and Nicky in the very last pages had me bursting into tears. Wow.

I really enjoyed James' point of view and I think it enriches Higgins' writing style tremendously. I hope this is a sign of more good things to come. Enjoy!
on April 24, 2012
Rich girl/children's book author Parker Welles is having a visit with her friend Lucy when her dad, Harry comes home (home being the family mansion that he only comes to for business meetings). Thinking he's going to ask her to join a business meeting, she talks to him, and he tells her....he lost all their money. His money, her trust fund, her SON'S trust fund. ALL. THEIR. MONEY. And, Harry is going to jail. While Parker is trying to process this, the "repo" guys come to start unloading the furniture, because everything in the house is going, too (except for what Parker herself has purchased).

Parker is tough. She'll sell the house in Maine that she inherited, no biggie! Wrong. She arrives at the house in Maine only to find a shack. A shack that her aunt had owned...her aunt who was, apparently, a hoarder. Wonderful. Parker has to get the house in good enough condition to sell, and move back to RI by the end of the Summer. But HOW? Thing One. That's how. Thing One (aka: James Cahill), her father's attorney is joining Parker for the Summer. He has previous carpentry experience and told Harry that he would help out Parker. Only problem. Parker can't stand James. That one time they slept together at her cousins wedding not withstanding.

My FULL REVIEW at [...]
on October 17, 2013
Unbeknownst to me, I didn't realize that this book is "sort of" part of a "series". Catch of the Day introduced us to Maggie and Malone (AHHH Malone) and the we got introduced in the book The Next Best Thing which I have not read yet!! It is on my to-read list of course, but I moved right along to Somebody to Love. I realized after talking with my friend Quinn, that I actually didn't NEED to read the other two to read this book. But just to let you know it would be nice to go ahead a read them....mostly to understand where the events are taking you!!

Parker Welles has it all. The family fortune. Amazing son. Amazing family....well sort of.

Until her father surprises her with losing all of the fortune!!

Except for a little piece of land with a cottage on it in Gideon's Cove in Maine. So with the help of her son and for some odd reason her father's lawyer James Cahill with help flipping it upside down for her to sell.

And she doesn't want any man in her life to screw it up.

Until James Cahill helps her...in more ways than she realizes!!

Another great read from Kristan Higgins! I swear it's like a fight between Jill Shalvis and Kristan Higgins. (Love their man wars though on Facebook)
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book reminded me of the Lucky Harbor series by Jill Shalvis. It's one of those sweet romances with little quirks just around every page that keeps you going. It's the first Kristan Higgins book I've read, but it won't be the last. If you're looking for a feel good book, this is certainly one you can reach for.

Parker was very easy to relate to. Her response to the shack she inherited was exactly how I'd picture my response. She hadn't wanted to care about it, that much was obvious, but then she really got into fixing it up and the house grew on her. As did James. Seeing her begin to fit into the town and adjust to the reality she now faced was entertaining. I loved watching her with James and seeing the transformation in her feelings from disgust to love.

James starts out as your typical stuck up lawyer, but then we get to see other sides of him. The side that cared about her and her father, the side that protected and the hot carpenter. HAHA...I had to throw that in there. The combination of all of him is what drew me in. He wasn't a character that I immediately fell in love with, but you get there.

Definitely a book you should check out and an author to keep at the top of your list.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Parker n James... seems from the very beginning there was quite the attraction. However since James is Parker's dad's minion, that doesn't bode well for James. I mean where is the love if you call the object of your desire Thing One? hahah... Will James always be referred as Thing One?

Parker has lived a privileged life. However, she finds out that her father was involved in some illegal activity and lost all of her money as well as her son's inheritance. Now Parker destitute, finds out she inherited a little place -- a shack -- can Parker fix it up, flip it and go back to her life in the city?

James goes to help Parker since he has construction experience. James is smarter and more helpful that Parker could ever imagine. That one night they spent together at one of the cousin's weddings, did it mean more than a one night stand? Or is James doing it to get closer to Parker?

Parker finds out a lot of what she is made of and what she really wants in life, so go root for her and James. Hope things work out especially when Parker's son Nicky makes things difficult!

I received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
on January 4, 2013
I have now read six of KH books and love her style, she really lets you get into her characters head and allows you to relate to all the ups and downs.
Even though it says you don't need to read KH books in any particular order, I had read Catch of the Day so recognised Maggie and Malone - however I hadn't read The Next Best Thing, to be honest I wish I had as I now know what is happening in Lucy and Ethan's life two years down the track which spoils things a little as they are a large part of this book due to Ethan and Parker sharing custody of their son Nicky.
Parker is a credible heroine for the most part, you can connect with her reasoning and why she is not close to her Dad and therefore her dislike of his employee James aka Thing One. James was an appealing hero with his many layers and the side story with his family was interesting, I wonder if his brothers will appear in another KH book...
The secondary characters, the various residents of Gideons Cove are very entertaining and I found myself waiting for them to appear as I really wanted to know what they were up to.
Another great read from Kristan Higgins
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 28, 2012
This author just keeps getting better. I got a bit nervous when I read Parker was from The Next Best Thing because it's been a couple of years since I read that book, and I still might revisit that oldie but goodie again.

Anyhow, as for this book, it is pure Kristan. The reader gets wacky characters, and new words for our vocabulary. There is the dog (and a snake...I cringed at that), of course. I especially enjoyed Malone's proposal to Maggie which I've been waiting for. It was sweet.

The epilogue, however, needed something more. It could've well been a 2 chapter epilogue (is there such a thing?). For example, Althea (Parker's mom) needed more closure. I was dying to find out if she has lasted 18 months without a new husband. In a sick way, I wanted her to reconcile with Parker's dad. Sort of a time heals all wounds thing. Instead, we learn that Althea has a great hat.

I hope the author revisits these characters again at some point. Maybe write an Emory (she's Malone's 18 year old daughter) storyline. If she doesn't write it, I may just get homesick for Gideon's Cove, Maine.
on April 28, 2012
I await Kristan Higgans' new releases with bated breath, and she is one of a few artists whose work I buy without trial, sample, or hesitation...and this book is amazing!

The Higgans trademarks are there: laugh-out-loud scenes, the kind of self-deprecation most women can connect to, and characters that we wish we were, and wish we knew, learning to love each other in a beautiful setting.

Parker was a delightful supporting character in "The Next Best Thing." And in her own story, with the Holy Rollers, she is the sort of devoted mother with sense beyond her bank account that pretty much only exists in books. In fact, it isn't until The Troubles are revealed (I try to avoid spoilers) that her "together" facade breaks and you see how complex and vulnerable she is.

Thing One, I mean James, I wanted for myself (sorry hubs!). I loved these two characters, alone and together, and their journey had me laughing, crying, and mad at each of their antics in turn. I simply loved this story, and think every fam of contemporary romance should read this book and learn how it should be done!
The man is a menace.

He is absolutely adorable but he know it - and he sees Parker as is quick and easy path to the top - at least she thinks so. Really, what could be better than the boss's daughter, right?
If only Parker didn't remember that one time. The only time she's let down her defenses since she found out she was pregnant with her now five year old son. The only time she's ever... well, no, Parker does not want to remember that evening.

But HE is her father's minion. His attorney, to be precise. His minion attorney who somehow manages to attend all of the family functions and is always at daddy's side. The minion attorney that Daddy spends much more time with than his daughter. The minion attorney that Daddy wishes was his son.

Could there be a better reason to detest him?

Yet, here the minion is, with Parker, trying to help her make this itsy bitsy shack into a home since her father's been sent to prison and his assets seized.

If only Parker can remember he's the minion attorney and not the sexy carpenter.