5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody finally said it...
Published on February 21, 2007 by L. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Split Decision
Boortz believes about half of Americans are too ignorant and functionally incompetent to be living in a free society . Unfortunately, I think he's correct - watching the ignoramuses on Leno's street interviews, the latest show ("Do You Know As Much As A Fifth Grader?"), listening to people talk amongst themsevles, etc. is very discouraging.

I also agree with...
Published on March 14, 2007 by Loyd E. Eskildson

5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody finally said it..., February 21, 2007
L. Davis (Flowery Branch, GA) - See all my reviews
I have anticipated the release of this book for quite some time and on the day it was released I bought it, went home, and read the entire thing in one sitting. It's an easy (and entertaining) read and while it addresses many important issues that this country is experiencing today there is one that sears into my mind like no other, that of course being the teacher unions.

When I read that chapter in the book I could feel the temperature around me rising, and by rising temperature I'm referring to the boiling heads of the hard left with their constant support of the teacher unions. The fact is that the teacher unions are beyond dangerous and I don't know if the country can be saved. Not a person on the face of the earth could have addressed this issue better than Neal Boortz. He should be given a medal for his relentless attacks against this powerful organization that will undoubtedly destroy the future of this great nation. I have no doubt that the teacher union part of this book will cause an uproar all over the United States. Neal Boortz will be fending off the teacher unions for the rest of his life for what he has said in this book. If for some reason you don't want to buy this book because you hate people like Neal, buy it for this portion!!

With Neal being a Libertarian he has very strong feelings regarding the freedom of individuals and the value of the choices that we make throughout our life. Another fantastic chapter is why all drugs should be legal and the "War on Drugs" is a complete failure. All of the money (it would actually take much less) used for it should be put into treatment programs instead of putting non-violent criminals behind bars. Before reading it I've always kind of disagreed with the legalization of harder drugs (while agreeing about soft drugs like Marijuana being legalized), but after reading this I have changed my position. The minimum wage is addressed in a good bit of detail as to why there shouldn't be one in the first place because it's not the roll of government to set wages. There are many other fantastic parts in Somebody's Gotta Say It, too many to really mention, but I can say that Boortz doesn't hold ANYTHING back in this book!!! You'll be somewhat shocked while laughing at the same time with his disregard for the "sensitive" people's feelings. I've read so many books I can't begin to count. From Atlas Shrugged to cookbooks and this is one of the best books I've ever read.

I'm sure that many "one star" reviews will flood this item from individuals that haven't even read this book, just out of their shear hatred for Mr. Boortz. All I can really say is that you should ignore them and read it anyway. I can't say it enough, thank you Neal for having the strength and courage to write this! After over 30 years of talk radio this book is Neal's masterpiece. Everything that he has believed in and spoke of for all these years has been built up to create this book. You are a brilliant man and you were so right, SOMEBODY HAD TO SAY IT!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Controversial...with topics worth reading, February 25, 2007
Neal Boortz has written a book he hopes many people will read with an open mind. I do not believe many people other than his listeners, Republicans, and Libertarians will pick this book up. Boortz details his feelings on several issues such as abortion, minimum wage, creation vs. evolution, and government involvement in citizen's lives.

Boortz hates the "government school system". He believes they are a bigger danger to the U.S than Al Qaeda. His reasoning behind hating government schools is merited, but to say it is more dangerous than Al Qaeda is quite a stretch. Boortz admits at the end of his book he does not know much about terrorism or Muslims. He does offer a list of books to help the reader to better understand the "Religion of Peace".

Some of his ideas do seem to be out in some far off reality. There is no way there will be a school voucher system in coming years. Democrats and teacher unions will never allow it to happen. I do agree with Boortz competition makes everything better. Many people who believe capitalism is a great sin would kindly disagree with my last statement. Boortz also goes into the "right" to vote issue. There are many issues covered in his book appealing to the above mentioned groups. I believe he is right when saying his greatest critics are the religious fanatics. There is no doubt in my mind he gets lambasted when he says homosexuals should be allowed to be in a civil union, or abortion really is a choice for the woman not government to make.

I did realize when reading his book many of the issues like abortion, prayer in schools, homosexuality, creation vs. evolution, and flag burning come down to people making their own choices. Boortz does not like government getting involved in any issue he believes an individual can make own his own. The last section of his book is devoted to really wishful thinking. He deals with issues he would fix if he were president.

I enjoyed the book and believe there are some issues he takes on that make the book worth reading. I did not go into much detail with them so you the reader could enjoy them yourself. I think the part that hurts the book is a limited audience will read his message. I do not see the book crossing over party lines.

Dustin Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a Fun Book, Especially if Your views lean Libertarian, February 26, 2007
Thriller Lover (Las Vegas, Nevada) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've never heard of Neal Boortz and have not listened to his radio program. Still, I enjoyed this book, which was entertaining and well written. This book is written in a conversational style, where Boortz explains his views on a variety of hot political topics, such as the war on terror and the public educational system.

What I liked most about this book is that Boortz does not neatly fall into either major political party. He is definitely a conservative, but in the libertarian sense. As a result, his views on evolution, abortion, gay rights, and even flag burning are not consistent with those of most Republicans. But I think they are consistent with someone who cares deeply about individual liberty and personal freedom.

This is not to say that Boortz doesn't choose sides here. He's much more supportive of the Republicans than the Democrats. Still, unlike many political commentators, he is unafraid to criticise both parties on important issues. In the end, Boortz's governing philosophy is his belief in the power of the individual, and his dislike of welfare dependence. This is a perspective that doesn't get as much media exposure as it deserves in the mainstream media.

If your politics are libertarian-leaning, you will probably enjoy SOMEBODY'S GOTTA SAY IT. But even if they're not, this is a good down-to-earth introduction to the libertarian mindset. I enjoyed it. My only regret was that this book wasn't released during the holiday season; it would have made a nice gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another best seller, February 20, 2007
It's funny, insightful and down-right truthful. Neal has done it again. He is forcing everyone to think outside the box--Democrats and Republicans, and everyone in between. Expect no filters (just like his talk show). It's the most honest book you can currently read on our political and social environment, one in which the government is chipping away at our freedom as individuals. Somebody had to say it, and I am glad that Neal Boortz is the one to do it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Split Decision, March 14, 2007

I also agree with Boortz about abuses of power within our educational system, proportioning votes according to income tax paid, and a number of other areas.

However, I can't go as Libertarian as Boortz. As the world becomes more and more crowded, resource-poor, and interdependent (meaning that our individual actions influence the lives of others), it becomes more and more necessary that we have laws to regulate those side effects.

Obvious examples include global warming, air and water pollution, water conservation (I live in the desert), zoning (who wants a fast-food place or junkyard next to their home), public health (do you want your children going to school darkened by second-hand smoke and with other pupils carrying TB, polio, measles, etc.), noise (imagine living in a society without engine mufflers).

So, I end up with a "split decision" on Boortz's new book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable entertainment, like the radio show, February 20, 2007
I enjoy Neal Boortz's radio show, and have for many a year. Having become acquainted with his points of view, I eagerly awaited the release of this book.... and have not been disappointed. After I am done with this volume, my ten year old daughter will have the opportunity to read it. Hopefully, this will help reinforce the lessons in accountability and logic that I have been trying to instill - and de-emphasize the "programming" that her "government indocrination center" (public or government school) has been attempting to get her to believe.

Living in Chicago, I have gotten exhausted, listening to the continuous liberal-type dialogue that is so popular here. Personally, I recommend this book for everyone to read, as it helps to counter-act the media bias that is so widespread in most of the media today. Hopefully, this book will top the New York Times bestseller list - and stay there for an appreciable length of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even liberals will have a good time, February 24, 2007
Fact: Before any of us were "liberal" or "conservative" we were just people, babies perhaps, but people nonetheless. Before we became shackled by various viewpoints and expectations which the world makes impossible to avoid, we could identify certain truths.

So, let's say that one of these truths is that nobody wants to be pushed around by a stranger whose job it is to push people around. Or, that nobody likes being censored, and told what is appropriate to think or not to think. On such simple matters we can agree, and on such simple matters does Neil Boortz give us a lively and thought-provoking book that EVERY person who enjoys exercising the gray matter between their ears will certainly benefit from.

Now follow this: Regardless of your political persuasion, you cannot create "constitutional rights" from thin air. You may believe certain rights OUGHT to exist, but this is different from knowing which actually do and do not actually exist. So while you may believe every person has a constitutionally guaranteed right to vote, you cannot say with honesty that this right is actually spelled out anywhere in the constitution, as it is not.

So what, you ask? Ok, here's the closer; for the liberals who now claim to be in a higher intellectual echelon than your typical Republican (see the "Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing an Idiot" and "I think, therefore I vote Democrat" bumper stickers) you should welcome some sort of filter that prevents idiots, morons, the crazy and serially uninformed from voting. Doesn't it only make sense that it would provide an advantage to the "enlightened" liberal philosophy at the polls to weed out the philistines who vote with a can of Busch light in one hand and a confederate flag sticking out of their back pocket?

Of course this will drive liberals crazy, that there should be some sort of quality control over the people who vote to ensure they at least grasp the basics of American civics as this would result in a forfeiture of considerble amount of votes from the very morons and charity cases on whom they rely for electoral victories.

So should it too upset every card carrying liberal ACLU member that Congress and certain courts want to regulate and censor certain types of speech, except for the fact that it is conservative speech that is being stymied, in which case it is not only acceptable, but preferred.

In such a manner does Neil Boortz trod upon the dieing weeds and vegetagion of liberal orthodoxy to say the things that political correctness and special interest victims' groups despise. Which used to be an act that would get you accolades from liberal groups, who knew the value of heaving off a few verbal bombs now and again to keep the opposition on their toes. But alas, they have grown fat and reactionary in their ivory towers.

If you love subversive ideas expertly articulated - as a person beyond an ideological label - then you will greatly enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What we are all afraid to say, all in one simple book..., February 23, 2007
I fail to understand those that automatically hate the book, despite having even read it. If you're going to have an intelligent discussion over things, then acutally READ IT first!

This book is an excellent example of what we are all afraid to say out in the public, as we are afraid of "offending" anyone that it may affect. Boortz, not known to pull any punches, tackles various topics that are bringing this country down.

Whether you love Boortz or not, at least read the thing and then form your opinions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Said, April 20, 2007
What I like most about libertarianism is its philosophical purity. I have found that conservatives and liberals tend to see things more subjectively while libertarians hold to the objective principle of self-ownership as a keystone to their opinions. This has always been very attractive to me on many levels but mostly because it is comprehensive and succinct. I can't consider any other viewpoint once I have come to recognizing the Jeffersonian principle that the right to life, liberty and property are self-evident. This understanding has become the core of who I am and guides me in my everyday life. I have come to feel this way even more after reading Neal Boortz book, "Somebody's Gotta Say It"

This book is a font of libertarian wisdom. I enjoyed his "painful truths" especially concerning the supposed right to vote and his appraisal of teachers unions. In one compelling chapter was a critique on American's view on freedom. Personal and economic freedom is a hard sell and Boortz uses this section to explain what freedom means. He has come to the understanding (and I agree) that most American's don't appreciate independence and may not even really wish to live in a free society. In another chapter he gives us a citizenship test which asks some very thoughtful and challenging questions about American history and civics. I found these to be very elucidating and wished I had been taught them when I attended a government run school. I think I would have grown from such illumining ideas.

He points out what he calls the "Democrats' Secret Plan for America" concerning the concept of individualism and private property. I find it very interesting that Boortz (like most libertarians) is much more critical of the liberal democrats than he is of the conservative republicans. He seems to have more in common with republicans and I think this is one of the reasons Libertarianism is often viewed as a right-wing movement. When one considers how non-conventional and incendiary Boortz's points of view are you can see how he will always have something interesting to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars He's Not The Pied Piper - But He Plays A Mean Flute, May 15, 2007
The best thing about Boortz is there's not likely to be a huge army of mindless drones following him. He purposely goes black or white, so you can neither dawdle in the gray nor embrace every statement one-hundred percent. And THAT'S the way he prefers it.

Because who would YOU rather sit with on the front porch:

The person whose every word causes you to say, "You're wrong. I hate what you say, and I wish the fleas of a thousand camels would infest your armpits."...

The person whose every word causes you to say, "You're absolutely right. I couldn't agree more. I swear I think I'm talking to a mirror. I love you."...

- OR -

The person who expouses ideas in a clear and original fashion... with an independent spirit that engages your mind, your opinions, your preferences - where you can accept, reject, or place in that holding area for later consumption.

Of course, many people would choose to throw this neighbor off their porch. I happen to think most red-blooded Americans who really give a damn about their country and that whole "birthing" process that happened around 1776 wouldn't mind too much this Boortz guy sitting on the porch.

He's welcome to sit a spell on my porch. And in fact, he did, in this poignant little book, with chapters akin to radio segments... tackling the trivial as well as the most important matters facing our contemporary society (like individual liberties we treat like garbage).

You don't have to agree with everything Boortz says. You shouldn't.

You don't have to read this book, either. But you should.

Somebody's Gotta Say It
Somebody's Gotta Say It by Neal Boortz (Paperback - June 17, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01