4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out Loud Hilarious
Published 16 months ago by Lukester

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a few laughs in the middle ...
... but it sort of falls apart towards the end. A decent airplane read, but don't make it the only book you take on vacation.
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out Loud Hilarious, May 16, 2013
Lukester (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Someone Could Get Hurt: A Memoir of Twenty-First-Century Parenthood (Hardcover)
People saying "LOL" is often misleading: are they really laughing out loud? But I can honestly say that I couldn't help laughing and had to try and stifle my laughs on my train commute as I read this book. A series of short stories of Magary's adventures in being a father of three children, this book will be instantly familiar to any parent. He doesn't shy away from the honest truth about parenthood: it's wonderful, but those kids can drive you crazy too. Magary manages to give a voice to all of those little thoughts every parent has but do their best to shove back down into the subconscious. He also discusses his relationship with his wife, which like any modern parenting relationship consists of both teamwork and combat: who can fake sleeping long enough so the other has to get up and feed the crying baby?

The stories are the perfect balance between the hilarity of parenting and the touching moments that any parent will recognize. Magary is able to discuss his feelings without venturing into the trite or overly corny cliches that other parenting books often fall into to. If you are a parent that misses the days of childless freedom but still cherish your children, you'll love this book. He perfectly captures the range of emotions, some that you didn't even know existed, that any parent moves through.

One note of warning, however: if you are looking for innocent portrayals of parenthood, this isn't the book for you: Magary often invokes profanity and "off-color" topics to tell his tales. Of course, in my opinion, this is true to actual parenthood. He doesn't go overboard, but he doesn't restrain himself either.

The hilarity is bookended by an incredibly moving portrayal of Magary dealing with his youngest son being in the NICU after he is born prematurely. Magary is a skillful writer than can handle both the hilarity, the love, and the tragedy involved in parenting. As he sums it up near the beginning of the book, "When you start a family, you're signing up for drama. You're signing up for worry. You're signing up for life-and-death. You're signing up for a life that means something more, even if it isn't as fun a life as when toy were single and drinking shots of Fire Water in the Giants Stadium parking lot."

My one quibble is that the book seemed a bit overpriced for being so short. The book reads almost like a series of blog posts. Although I enjoyed every one, I felt like the publisher was asking for a bit more than this book was worth.

I would highly recommend this as a Father's Day present for any younger dad. Also, although it's written from a dad's perspective, I think mom's would also enjoy it, if for no other reason than to see inside the mind of a dad!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read about parenthood, May 19, 2013
Once I picked up this book, I simply couldn't put it down until I finished it; that first sentence of "We all agreed that the child must be disemboweled" reeled in me in like a fish on a hook. Magary manages to find that perfect balance between the utter seriousness and the utter hilarity involved in raising a child. Even in the darkest moments detailed in the book, there's always a glimmer of humor lurking. The book felt very intimate, like Magary was truly baring it all for his audience; this was most evident in the chapter about his DUI. I don't have any children, but Magary makes child raising somehow relatable, often frightening, and very entertaining. An excellent and easy read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read even for non-parents, June 3, 2013
I don't have kids but this book is still hilarious and heart-wrenching. Drew's always good for a laugh but the serious parts of this book were beautifully written and heartfelt. I'd recommend this to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars What parenting is really like, January 20, 2014
Sara Bennett (North Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I really loved this book. It's such an honest look at what parenting is really like, at least for me and clearly many others who have reviewed it. There is so much material out there constantly telling us what terrible parents we are and that we're doing everything wrong, it's easy to feel like a failure. Reading Magary's experiences, several of which were very similar to my own (though not the DUI or the NICU, knock on wood), made me feel less alone. I also appreciated his honesty and willingness to share his failings (see DUI) and tougher more emotional moments (see NICU). I'm recommending it to every parent I know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious., November 5, 2013
Hilarious-- literally made me laugh at loud. As an expecting mom it was a refreshing and at times touching read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud, September 1, 2013
Tiffany Heater (Highland Park, NJ) - See all my reviews
This was a really cure memoir of parenting young children that had me laughing out loud at nearly every story. I was not at all familiar with Drew Margary before picking up the book, but after reading it, I think this is the the type of parenting book dads would enjoy. This is a short book, that only took me a few hours to read.

I received an advanced read copy of this book through a First Reads giveaway on Goodreads.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for a few laughs in the middle ..., August 27, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you question your spine, July 16, 2014
I'm newly married and getting to the age where biologically I have to start questioning if/when we will start trying for kids. I picked this book (per a buzzfeed rec) to get some perspective on parenting and it was a really fun and heart-wrenching (at times) book to read.

I literally finished it in a few hours. The words just flew off the pages and the book itself wasn't very long. Magary is indeed a talented writer who can string together weird and random things in a truly humorous fashion. I know people in real life who try to do this all the time, but it only comes off as awkward and not funny. For the price of the book though, I was expecting a little more.

Anyway, I laughed and I cried while reading this book. And at the end of it, I felt good and was grateful for this insight into someone's experiences with raising kids. I wouldn't take this book at face value for what to expect though, but my favorite part was this paragraph here:

"That's part of the reason why I wanted to start a family. When you start a family, you're signing up for drama. You're signing up for worry. You're signing up for life-and-death. You're signing up for a life that means something more, even if it isn't as fun a life as when you were single and drinking shots of Fire Water in the Giants Stadium parking lot. Kids make your life significant. They give your life a spine."

Overall, if you like Louis C.K's standup acts where he talks about his kids, you'll will most likely enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the few good parenting books out there, July 28, 2013
I got introduced to Magary via his parenting bits in Deadspin, which can be uneven but are reliably funny. The book is in the same mode. Sometimes he carries on when he might summarize and vice versa.

On the other hand, it's fantastic. The 2010s have produced parental writing where it's okay to talk about how unpleasant parenting actually is, and we're the better for it. The book made me laugh for the parts I've already experienced, dread what I haven't yet and take grim satisfaction that someone else went through it.

And it's heartwarming in its own weird, self abusing way. He pulls off the "yeah but they're MY monsters" in a way that made me kiss my sleeping one year old when I finished it.

It's a great book, and we need more parenting books like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Parent Should Read, June 14, 2014
I can't tell you how true Drew's words ring. This book has given me a breath of fresh air on parenthood...and how I'm not failing...we'll at least so it seems! Funny, honest, and beyond down to earth. Thank you for a wonderful book.

Someone Could Get Hurt: A Memoir of Twenty-First-Century Parenthood