We used to call them touch songs. Maybe they still do. In fact some of the songs are the old Marlyn Maye songs, such as "People Will Say We're in Love." But each song is unique, with different styling.

The rhythm is superb. Sophie's voice is mellow and lucious. The instrumental great.

Her voice has a nice range in the lower vocal range. But she...
Published on October 6, 2007 by Susanna Hutcheson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, no great
Sophie Milman is talented but I guess I expected a little more. I prefer a little "edge" like a Renee Olstead or Elaine Elias.
Published on January 11, 2012 by mark in hawaii

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy listening, jazzy vocal with nice style and delivery, October 6, 2007
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)

Her voice has a nice range in the lower vocal range. But she reaches some of the higher notes easily too. She is a very versatile singer.

This is a great, easy listening album.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars She Shines Again On This Gorgeous Sophomore Album, October 9, 2008
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
"I have to admit that when I made my first record, I knew very little about music. It was a hobby, a passion. But since the release of that record almost three years ago, music has become so much than a hobby and a passion. It has evolved into the best reflection of my experiences, emotions, and life. The last three years have been the most intense, stressful, difficult, turbulent, exciting, rewarding, and successful years of my life so far, and 'Make Someone Happy' is the product of all that. Making this record was a sort of a therapy." ~ Sophie Milman ~

That being said, Sophie Milman has truly developed into a fine jazz singer in such a short period of time and has earned her first major award at the 2008 Juno Awards for Best Jazz Vocal Album of the Year for this album. Recorded and released in 2007, "Make Someone Happy" is a follow-up to her successful debut self-titled album, Sophie Milman [IMPORT DIGIPAK]. With the influx of contemporary female jazz vocalists singing the Great American Songbook, Ms. Milman, a fairly-new singer, is ahead of the game considering her impressive musical qualities. She has a crystal-clear and powerful voice. Her phrasing is impeccable and her singing is effortless. I believe these are the same qualities to be a great and remarkable jazz singer.

The repertoire is pretty eclectic - contemporary songs mixed with some of the finest standards ever written from the Great American Songbook. Most of the brilliant songwriters and composers in the Tin Pan Alley are represented in this wonderful album, the likes of Rodgers, Hammerstein, Styne, Van Heusen and Burke, to mention but a few.

"People Will Say We're In Love" is the perfect opener for this beautiful presentation where Milman shows off her knack for a light swing number, she also sings "Like Someone In Love" in the same swingy fashion. She then takes the listeners to a warm and cozy ambiance as she sings one of my favorites from this collection, "Something In The Air Between Us" richly flavored with Bossa Nova rhythm and heavily infused with lush string arrangement resulting in a lovely interpretation making it one of the best tracks. Another favorite track with a charming Bossa Nova beat is "Reste" (Stay) sung in French. "Make Someone Happy" and "Fever" are two of the highlights showcasing Milman's clarity of vocals and effortless singing. I love the way she reinvented a famous song from the Guess Who, "Undun" which takes me back in time when it was one of my very favorite songs. She surely gives "Matchmaker, Matchmaker" from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" a new flair and style that makes it a welcome revival.

My choicest cut is Rodgers and Hammerstein's "It Might As Well Be Spring," which is given the most effervescent treatment that will engage the listeners into the jazziest side of Milman and her band of fine musicians such as Cameron Wallis (tenor sax), Paul Shrofel (piano), Kieren Overs (bass), John Fraboni (drums) and Alan Hetherrington (percussion) who play their respective instruments with so much flair and verve.

My rule of thumb is try not to compare singers with one another, but I believe there's an exception to every rule ... I think there's a bit of Ella Fitzgerald, a twist of Julie London, and a touch of Jane Monheit in her. Moreover, she's one versatile and talented jazz singer, and fabulous at that! What's not to love about this album?

Wholeheartedly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best since Ella?, April 7, 2010
Jenny Sequois (Out there somewhere) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
For someone so young, this woman's technical expertise is nothing short of jaw dropping. Further, she can swing as though she has the life experiences of someone twice her age. Her vibrato is perfect, and so is her pitch (sadly, such is not that common with younger singers nowadays). Some artists peak early, some later. If this woman has additional talent on tap that hasn't surfaced yet, there won't be a anyone anywhere near her in a short while. The choices of material for this CD were excellent, and the backing ensemble was polished. The recording engineering is impeccable - some of the best I've ever heard.
The record's not perfect, of course - there are a couple of piano parts that should have been redone, and the arrangements of a couple of songs were (in my opinion) a little too far removed from what most of us have come to expect.
So OK, call it a 4.95 out of 5. But make no mistake - Sophie Milman is an important artist who bears watching closely, and should be heard as often as possible.
My thanks to her and her team for a great recording.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her first album., July 21, 2007
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
I saw Sophie Milman at "Jazz Alley", in Seattle a few months ago and loved her. I had to buy her first album, when I was there. I was that impressed. She played a lot of songs from that album and a few songs from this one (which I enjoyed), but I think, as a whole, this album is slightly less impressive.

I was a little disappointed with her rendition of "Fever". My favorite version is Peggy Lee's, so that's a little tough to match.

This is a fine album, though and I recomend buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new young jazz diva, January 28, 2008
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
I've been in the music biz for a long time in many different areas. I love all types of music but especially jazz. When you've listened to music for as long as I have you kinda get bored by the same old uninspired fluff that is around today. Enter Sophie Milman! This gorgeous young lady is the real deal! I love her smokey voice and her phrasing is beyond words. The arrangements could be a bit better. Each song had the lovely Sophie, bridge, then the lovely Sophie. More adventure, guys. That said, this is a cd I'll be listening to for a long long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Milman's Record Will Make A Lot of Jazz Lovers Very Happy, September 2, 2009
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
"Make Someone Happy" by Sophie Milman continues the current trend of great female jazz vocalists that sprung from the tree that Holiday, Fitzgerald, and Vaughn planted. That tree in turn grew strong branches named Wilson and Washington, then grew leaves that were green and leafy with names like Krall. Now, the tree is bearing more and more fruit named Kent, Gazarek, Durcros, another Wilson (Cassandra), Freelon, the great Gardot, Peyroux, and yes, Milman.

With so much talented around, you have to sing the old favorites, plus make interesting and pleasing vocal choices. Milman does this on this record by performing songs like "People Will Say We're In Love," "Something in the Air Between Us," "Matchmaker, Matchmaker," "Undun," and "Eli, Eli." This mix of jazz, old rock, R&B, and even show tunes works because Milman seems herself and comfortable on every song.

This is a very good record by a great young artist who continues to establish herself as someone to watch, and more importantly, someone to listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Singer, Arrangements, and Musicians, April 26, 2010
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
This CD, "Make Someone Happy," is a traffic stopper.

I heard some songs from it one morning on WHRB, in Boston, and sent for the CD immediately. It more than matched my initial impressions.

First, the arrangements are absolutely first class.

Second, the very skilled musicians have just the right spirit and musicality for the songs and arrangements, complementing the singing in just the right way.

Finally, Milman's singing is the kind of presentation that makes you pull the car over just to listen. In the lower range her voice is silky and velvety at the same time. In the upper range, her vibrato is stunning and makes the listener ache to hear it. This latter part of her singing is truly lovely.

The program is quite fascinating and intended to be autobiographical, in emotion as well as textual content (I take this from in interview in the DVD of a Montreal concert of the same material).

The only thing better than buying this CD would be to attend one of her concerts.

NOT to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Half a Mile from Heaven, February 14, 2009
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
Sophie Milman's sophomore outing is my introduction to her music. The jazz treatment of Stevie Wonder's "Rocket Love" may be my favorite on the disc with her vocals soaring, swooping and burning, "You took me riding in your rocket, you gave me a star, and a half a mile from heaven you dropped me back down to this cold cold world." On the classic "Make Someone Happy," Milman seems to settle into a lovely slow groove headed by Paul Shrofel's piano and Cameron Wallis' wailing saxophone solo. The light bossa nova sung in French on "Reste (Stay)" bubbles joyfully. Back several decades, I loved "Undun" by the Guess Who. Songwriter Randy Bachman guests on guitar on the track that shimmers with this swaying jazz treatment highlighted by Wallis' flute. The Rodgers & Hammerstein classic "It Might As Well Be Spring" sparkles with Milman's upbeat arrangement. "So Long You Fool" is also a strong track. "Make Someone Happy" lives up to its title. It puts a smile on my face! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Canada's Star of the Moment : Milman has a Rare Gift, October 8, 2007
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
Gotta hand it to those Canadians - they've given us Alanis Morissette, Nicklelback, Leonard Cohen and Margaret Atwood, and now we can add the name of Sophie Milman to that esteemed list.

If you're new to her, you might ask - who is Sophie Milman?

Well, shes a beautiful young woman who sings jazz/blues and torch songs, but with very operatic and contemporary flourishes throughout. At the center of it is that voice - it really sounds like a mix of Fiona Apple and Regina Spektor (in the best sense), and she uses it to good effect. In fact, the Fiona Apple comparison is deeper than you might think. Think of some of Fiona's songs from her past catalog, such as "Paper Bag" and "Shadowboxer" - Sophie sounds a LOT like that on this album.

However, even though this record features covers of some very done-to-death songs (such as "Fever"), Sophie is able to make the songs sound new, even to the most jaded listener. For example, I have at least six versions of `Fever' on my Itunes (including a horrendous cover by Madonna!), but Sophie's is nothing like any of those. Check it out to understand what I mean.

Another thing - this is definitely NOT like the other more generic performers in this genre - you can't really compare to this Diana Krall, Josh Groban, Charlotte Church, Il Divo, Patrizio Buanne etc. The reason being that even though some of the songs here are pretty standard, the instrumentation and vocal delivery is far better than what you'd find on those records. For instance, I never thought Diana Krall was a good vocalist at all, and listening to Sophie's obviously superior voice, it only reiterated my belief.

Think of this as an alternative musician who sings the blues, and you're spot on. It doesn't hurt that she's a pretty lady either. However, the only downside to this album would be the very tacky cover picture which does nothing to advertise the superior quality of music contained therein.

Four Stars. A very pleasant discovery. I bet this one will be selling out during the Christmas season - it would make the perfect gift for someone in their 30s and 40s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As Seeing Her at...Orchestra Hall, May 7, 2009
This review is from: Make Someone Happy (Audio CD)
I would've left 'Fever' with Peggy Lee-and I'm not crazy about Stevie Wonder's 'Rocket Love' either;but I like Sophie's version of 'It Might As Well Be Spring' better than the Astrud Gilberto version-and I think Sophie Milman is an exceptional singer.The only other version I know of 'Eli Eli' is by the late,very great Cantor Yossele Rosenblatt.After seeing her at Detroit's Orchestra Hall,opening for Phil Woods,I'm looking forward to seeing her again(be sure to catch her on youtube singing 'Eli Eli' in remembrance of The Holocaust).