5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, thoughtful, and affecting

2.0 out of 5 stars Sappy and Simple-minded
Published on April 27, 2008 by T. Bezerra

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, thoughtful, and affecting, August 10, 2005
This review is from: Someone Like You (Paperback)
Halley was named for her grandmother, who was named for the comet. Scarlett, across the street, was named for you-know-who. Both are "onlies," just turning sixteen, and have been best friends, almost-sisters since they were eleven. Then Michael, the boy to whom Scarlett lost her virginity only the night before, is killed in a car wreck and -- you guessed it -- she's pregnant. Her mother also had gotten pregnant in high school and (fortunately for Scarlett) had kept the baby, and now she decides to do the same. Meanwhile, Halley is getting more and more involved with Macon, Michael's dangerous buddy, who wants more than she's ultimately willing to give. The nine months of Scarlett's pregnancy is the backdrop for a very well-written story about love and sex and real friendship and dealing with parents. And the final scene, in the hospital waiting room, is very cinematic. This is a terrific book for teenagers, but it's also simply a very, very well done novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friends Til The End, July 23, 2000
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Someone Like You (Hardcover)
This book, "Someone Like You", is one of the best books I have ever read. It tells the story of two best friends, Halley and Scarlett during their junior year experiencing many difficult times as well as happy ones. At the beginning of the year, Scarlett discovers something that will change her life forever, and Halley is the only person that will stick with her throughout it all even though she is experiencing problems of her own, such as, her mother, her dad's embarrassing stories, her dying grandmother and her reckless boyfriend. The book is definitely worth reading, and its one of those books that once u pick up u can't put it back down! I loved it from the first page to the last and I can't wait to read other books by Sarah Dessen. So read "Someone Like You" and I'm positive you WON'T be dissappointed! Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars How real if friendship?, November 23, 2000
By A Customer
"Life is an awful ugly place not to have a friend" -Sarah Dessen
Sarah Dessen really shows how special a best friend can be in Someone like You. This book makes you think about how friendships can change your life with any situation brought upon you, boyfriends, parents, drugs, or a pregnancy. But how the real friends will always stay around. Usually I shoot for the fantasy books, ones where you can ride in the mystical rainforest on a silky black Pegasus. Sarah Dessen really made Halley's and Scarlet's lives seem so real though, like I was actually there. Everything that Halley or Scarlet did I followed. Halley, who is an only child and never really disobeyed her parents until her senior year, narrates this book. This was the year where everything changed. Halley's best friend Scarlet had a boyfriend, who died in a motorcycle accident, leaving Scarlet to find out she was pregnant with his child. To make things worse Halley gets involved in a bad relationship where she gets into things such as drugs, and close to having sex. As I read on, a question came to me on whether I would stay with my friends if all of that happened to me. But same as Halley and Scarlet my friends mean the world to me. So there is no doubt in my mind, that I would do anything for my best friend, just like Halley would do anything for Scarlet. My English teacher recommended this book for me to read, since I had already read another one of Sarah Dessen's books called Keeping the Moon. Both are very similar, friendship is the main topic throughout the whole story. If I were to recommend this book to someone else, it would have to be someone who loves their friends and would do anything for them. Since Someone like You has some very strong emotions in it, and situations a lot of teenagers go through I think it is aiming toward high school girls. Any younger may not understand how important your friends are when going through some life situations like the ones Halley and Scarlet faced. The best thing about this book is that it really tells a deeper story then the words on the page. It tells you how ugly things can be, but how a friend can see you through everything and beyond. So I'm so glad I have my friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Inspiring Novel, October 20, 2003
The book Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen is a good read. It takes you on a adventure with Halley a girl a quiet girl who grew up in a normal suburban neighborhood. She had a good relationship with her mom and her best friend Scarlett, a wild girl full of life, Until now everything is fine until things get turned upside down for Halley when Scarletts boyfriend Michael dies in a tragic motorcycle accident and leaves Scarlett with his kid. To top it off Halley finds her self falling in love with Michaels best friend Macon Faulkner, who has a reputation for not following the rules. The fairytale between her and Macon get real and she understands she needs to be tough in situations she feels pressured in. Her fling with Macon weakens her relationship with her mother and helps her face reality. Throught it all Scarlett and Halley have each other, there like sisters and no matter what happens Halley is there for Scarletts pregnancy and Scarlett keeps a strong hold on Halley. This book is an amazing read and I recommend it to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars 7th grader- best book ever., January 30, 2005
A Kid's Review
This is one of my favorite books of all time. In class this year, we had to read three books by the same author, and I chose Sarah Dessen. I read The Truth About Forever, That Summer, and Someone Like You. This book was certainly my favorite.

It was very romantic and made me feel good every time i started reading it. The reason why I gave it four stars instead of five was because I really would have liked to know more about Macon at the end of the book.

I reccommend this book to anyone because it is a very interesting, sweet, funny page-turner. It is a wonderful book.

PS. I don't, however, reccommend seeing How to Deal. Though it was based on this book and That Summer, it is pretty bad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teenage Oprah book club?, August 5, 2000
If Oprah had a teenage book club of girl gushers and tear jerkers reflecting emotional outlets in life, this book would go right on into it. This book was extremly sugary and cheesy but proved its point and Dessen does an excellent job at creating vivid and realistic scenes. I personally enjoyed the book and found it to be very touching. The characters are well rounded and sketched painting them as realisticly as possible. I would love to read more books by Dessen. I would also not be surprised if this book where ever to be turned into a chick flick movie following right after "Where the Heart is" By Billie Letts. The work by Dessen is classic and girls will find themselves inside the characters and feeling for them. I can't say it was the best book I have ever read, but I really did enjoy it and would recommend it to anyone or even reread it in a few years. The story itself is a charming and cute tale of friendship through hardship along with "the first love" and the trials that come with being a young woman theese days. As true to the cover of the book "Anyone who has ever had a best friend or a first love will understand" Go Dessen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It., November 28, 2005
This review is from: Someone Like You (Paperback)
"Life is and awful place to not have a best friend."

I Believe that is the quote stated on the back cover of the book, and I highly agree. Someone Like You shows what friendship really is, and sticking through the hard times. It shows when you feel like the weak friend, you turn out to be the strongest one. Scarlett goes thru a rough time by sleeping with a boy that she loved, and the next morning he died. Halley helps her thru her choices and learns some new things herself, but in the process she finds herself terribly hurt, by her pressuring boyfriend, Macon. I highly recommend this book. It maybe inappropriate for younger kids though, it all depends on what you call inappropriate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Friends For Ever, March 20, 2000
This review is from: Someone Like You (Hardcover)
I would recomend this book to every teenage girl, cause Scarlett and Halley talk about how two teenage girls deal with a problem of her best friend being prengent. If you have a best friend this is a good book to read cause it show to girls stick together no matter what happens. Scarlett and Halley show how true friends really care for each other. This book talks about every thing it even talks about a relationship between a child and a parent. "Some One Like You" it's a book to read, when some one is looking for a book to read, don't think it twice and read "Some One Like You".

2.0 out of 5 stars Sappy and Simple-minded, April 27, 2008
This review is from: Someone Like You (Paperback)
I wanted to be moved by this story about a girl supporting her best friend through a difficult time, but the main character Halley was whiny and self-involved, surpassed in the annoying category only by her clueless harpy of a psychologist mom. Everything from the bad boy love interest to the climatic prom night was cliched. The author would have done much better to focus on Halley's strong and interesting pregnant best friend Scarlett.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone Like You, September 17, 2001
This review is from: Someone Like You (Hardcover)
This book was an incredible tale of two best friends. The girls are so different that they make a perfect pair. Scarlett is the pretty and well known girl at school, where as Halley is more reserved and know as "Scarlett's friend". Halley gets called home from camp when Scarlett's boyfriend dies in an accident. She helps deal with the grief and becomes like a second mother when Scarlett finds out she's pregnant. Dessen does an unbelievable job of writing from a teen's point of view (Halley). Everything is so realistic, you would think a teen wrote it themself. When Halley meets Macon a rebelous, risk taking guy, her life begins to change. Dessen incorporates the hard choices like family, parties, drugs, alcohol, and sex into this story. Halley has to break away from her strict parents, and hide a lot from them, leading to a dangerous incident. Sometimes it takes a bad thing to make us realize what's important and who's there for us - Halley is a perfect example. Any teen who's experienced a first love will relate to this book. Sometimes guys aren't what we think they are! Dessen mixes humor with love and sadness all in one book. I recommend this book to any teenage girl. I know I couldn't put it down, and most teens have been through the exact situations in this book. You'll love it.

Someone Like You
Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen (Paperback - May 11, 2004)
$9.99 $9.18