5.0 out of 5 stars Susan's Voice Glows
Published on November 1, 2011 by Carol Clifton

2.0 out of 5 stars It's Just My Opinion...
Don't ge me wrong, in spite of being made fun of endlessly by the likes of Grham Norton, catty jokes about her looks (personally I think she's just fine), and all the other crap that has been bandied about, I LOVE THIS WOMAN'S VOICE!!! I could say much more, or defend her talents passionately, but its all been said by the hype-mad hungry media.
That being said, I...
Published on March 7, 2012 by Rick K

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan's Voice Glows, November 1, 2011
Barbra Streisand called Susan's voice "like a poet singing". On this album she displays that unique ability to inhabit and interpret a song like no one else on the music scene today. Her voice goes from soft and smoky to a soaring cry of need in "Unchained Melody", she is bluesy and softly sexy in "Lilac Wine". In "Both Sides Now", she has given us a freshly interpreted song with insights into a life of someone who has seen it all and still doesn't understand "life" or "love". In "Return", one of the songs written just for her, she soars with longing and emotion. "This Will be the Year", another original shows us a woman who will always prevail. "You Have to Be There" resonates with everyone who has had a crisis of faith, but in the end, embraces hope and trust. I was skeptical about "Mad World" and "Enjoy the Silence". Neither one would have been a choice to listen to. That said, Susan shows her considerable emotive talents in these two songs perfectly. "Autumn Leaves" is about grief and sadness, true, but as in YHTBT, ends with the hopeful knowledge that loved ones never completely leave us. I would have loved "Someone to Watch Over Me" to be longer. If I have any disappointment in the album, that would be it. Miss Boyle has grown incredibly in vocal prowess and technique in a scant 2 1/2 years. Her versatility, her range, her emotive abilities, all these shine in this incredible album. Billboard says she "has arrived". Personally, I believe she had already "arrived" by selling 14 million albums in 14 months, but I agree that, with this album, she is firmly set as a professional singer who is here to stay for a very long time. And all we who are music lovers are the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album!, November 2, 2011
I believe Susan has taken some remarkable strides with Someone To Watch Over Me. I like the versatility of her voice and the way she changes it to suit the mood of the song she's singing. That effect alone just pulls me into the song, and I can get lost in it. I like having an album in which all the songs aren't the same. I have a pretty wide range in my taste in music, and I think Susan must also. In this album, there is a little bit of everything, and I like that. I was also pleased that the production was held back this time compared to the last two albums. Susan's voice is stunning, and in this album, the listener can actually hear her and not miss a single beautiful note.

Yep, there are covers on this album. I like covers! I like to hear songs that are familiar to me and different interpretations of them. "Both Sides Now" was a song I never liked at all. With Susan's interpretation, it sounds like a completely different song, and I'm loving it. I also like "Mad World" and "Enjoy the Silence" -- a little bit off balance and edgy. And "Unchained Melody"...I don't care if it's been done a lot, it's still one song I love, and Susan's rendition is fantastic. There are two original songs on this album that were written for Susan, "Return" and "This Will Be The Year". She does an incredible job with both of them. It seems to me that now days the trend is for the artist to write his/her own material. Good or bad? Some songs artists write are good -- some so poor I could do a better job without half trying. Collaboration appears to be used pretty loosely.
Susan doesn't have to write her own material for me to respect what she does.

There are also songs on this album I was completely unfamiliar with, so they are new to me. I'd never heard "You Have to Be There" the ABBA song from Katrina, "Autumn Leaves" by Paolo Nutini and "Lilac Wine". So, for me, this was like three new, wonderful songs!

I would have preferred that Susan had sung all of "Someone to Watch Over Me" because she sings it so beautifully, and that the album would have been longer with maybe a couple of uptempo songs added. But, for me, these are minor things. The sheer artistry of this album far outweighs a few minor faults I might find. This is indeed a wonderful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Collection - I'm Hooked!, November 1, 2011
Susan continues to surprise us with her ability to take songs from diverse genre, reach deep within her soul, and pour out a fountain of emotion, creating something that captures the song's essence so we hear it new as we listen over and over. She just as adeptly swoons us with a saucy 40's-like bar room ballad "Lilac Wine," then mesmerizes us with haunting yet innocent versions of the 80's new wave classics "Mad World" by Tears for Fears and "Enjoy the Silence" by Depeche Mode. She cries with emotion and hope as she pleads with God, "You have to Be There," and dreams of her love's "Return." There's nothing Karaoke about this collection. Susan sings from the heart, with a passion that makes each song new. Bravo Susan, I'm hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan Boyle's Third Album, November 1, 2011
To say Susan Boyle's third album is stunning is putting it mildly. By the time I had heard the entire thing, I felt that I was vibrating from all the emotions it evoked in me. Her versatility in range and the absolute heart she puts into each song is amazing and brilliantly executed. I will purchase this album for everyone I care about, because it definitely says "I love you enough to give you this precious treasure".

If you haven't seen it, check out YouTube to see the video of our returning troops set to Susan's new song, "Return". It is an absolutely beautiful tribute to our brave service men and women, and left me with tears flowing.

This magnificent Lady has done it again! Thank you Susan.

5.0 out of 5 stars STUNNING - START TO FINISH. KEEP GOING, SUSAN, November 1, 2011
Susan Boyle continues to amaze me. I couldn't wait to get to the store today, so I downloaded the album and I am so elated, I'm keeping it on autorepeat all day. This new entry is supurb. All the songs are first rate and well performed. As Susan surprised me with her take on "Wild Horses" on her debut CD, she does the same here with "Mad World". Other favorites are "Return", "You Have To Be There", her crying rendition of "Unchained Melody", the etherial "Enjoy The Silence". Expecting the standard we all know of "Autumn Leaves", I was surprised by this other song of the same title. Lovely. I agree with another reviewer that "Someone To Watch Over Me" was too short. I expected a turn on this standard similar to what Susan gave us with "Cry Me A River", also from the debut CD. However, in listening to this version of "Someone..." it reflects the final recording ever made by Dusty Springfield (part of her Dusty box set), where it is the same amount of the song with voice and piano. I'm not saying it is a tribute to Dusty, but it gives the same reflection and spirit of the song as presented. I hope in future releases, Susan explores the timeless standards we all know and interpret them as only she can. Adding an additional note about Dusty, Susan would do a marvelous job on a B-side Dusty recorded called "No Stranger Am I", that was written by Norma Tanaga. We can only hope.

Right now, this blessing of new music will stir the soul and warm the heart. It is such a treat. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Susan promised 'something for everyone' on this album, and she has delivered!, November 2, 2011
Despite this album being a little on the short side at just under 34 minutes, with only 10 songs and its title track a mere 1:17 minutes in length (just the final third of the song is actually recorded here), it does NOT disappoint if: you are already a Boyle fan and love her big 'power ballad' voice, if you know and love her 1998 Heartbeat Studios recording of 'Cry Me a River' even more than the version of it she placed on the 'I Dreamed a Dream' album, if you enjoy forays into a few mid-20th century gems, if you appreciate her trying out some more 'experimental' sounds, or if you are craving to hear her sing a couple of brand-new songs written expressly for her. There really ARE at least two or three songs 'for everyone' on here, and the strange thing is, although I'm one of those who most adore the 'big-voiced Susan' on tracks such as 'You Have to Be There', 'Return', and to some extent 'This Will Be the Year', more and more I am appreciating ALL these songs and the treatments she and producer Steve Mac have given them.

Many people are greatly enjoying the slightly electro-synth sounds of 'Enjoy the Silence' and/or the hypnotic, repetitive chant of 'Mad World' sung SO simply and unadorned that it can't help but haunt one's brain (plus it includes a couple of fun word additions/changes in it). 'Autumn Leaves' (actually named just 'Autumn' by its composer Paolo Nutuni, to distinguish it from the Johnny Mercer song by the same title) and 'Lilac Wine' were both brand-new to me, and both have grown on me the more I hear them until they have become favorites. 'Both Sides Now' is certainly good enough, despite a verse being omitted (a pet peeve of mine, omitting verses on songs which aren't overly long to start with) and 'Unchained Melody' is sung a little differently than I've heard before; the song in general is not a great favorite of mine but it does show what Susan can do when put to the test and is certainly more than listenable.

The best-conceived and possibly most effectively arranged song on here is probably 'Lilac Wine', sung with a slightly jazzy, husky tone of voice which works like a charm on this particular number. Similarly done is 'Someone to Watch Over Me', which I adore, aside from its reduction down to the actual song's final verse-and-chorus only. If this track had included the entire song, sung as Susan performs the small bit of it we get here, it'd be right up there with 'Lilac Wine', I believe. My one real complaint aside from the unwelcomed shortening of two songs I love listening to is that I'd hoped to find a couple more tracks on the album; 10 is just not enough. That being said, those 10 tracks are indeed quality material, with no 'filler' included, so I do feel that counts for a lot.

Susan Boyle is a singer who will likely keep plundering the standards and not-so-well-known songs of past decades, looking for the perfect vehicles on which to shine her unique talents. This woman has a vast knowledge of music in general, and she has been singing songs of many genres for nearly 40 years from various eras, even when she began first figuring out for herself as a child HOW to sing; I'd not expect her to change that inclination, but instead to keep looking in new directions for additions to put with what she already knows how to do well. She has stated many times that singing is how she can communicate best with people, and listening to her sing these songs, I must say that plenty is being communicated, here. It's wonderful to hear her sing any new songs which are currently being written just for her, and the two originals included on this album are both fabulous as well as being two of its best songs, but I don't believe she'll ever give up singing covers which appeal to her in one way or another; she'll simply find a way to 'do' them a little differently and make them her own.

Either listeners really 'get' Susan, or they simply--don't. I feel that this particular album has been an attempt by Susan and her Sony team to appeal to as wide a variety of listeners as possible, by including songs from various decades ranging from the early 20th century right up through 2011, and moving among vastly different singing styles. She has come out this year with what I can best describe as a collection of pure 'SusanMusic' in that she doesn't SOUND like anybody else, but one sure can tell who is doing the singing on every one of the songs on this album, no matter what kind of song it is.

If you are looking for an album to grab your heart as well as tickle your ears, you cannot go wrong with this one--do yourself a favor, and grab a copy of this one in physical CD format soon, and enjoy it on a sound system which has great speakers! The SOUND on here is truly spine-tingling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Triumph! Go Susan!, November 2, 2011
I loved this album! Susan puts her own unique stamp on all these songs, each one is lovely! The youtube video using Susan's "Return" and approved by Susan will bring you to tears every time! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best work yet, November 1, 2011
This is by far my favorite album of Susans. The track list is wonderful and her voice is simply stunning as always. My favorite songs are Enjoy the Silence, Mad World and Unchained Melody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever!, November 1, 2011
Just received this CD and it is by far her best ever! Her voice just keeps getting better and better!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, November 2, 2011
I thought this is the best album out of the three that I've bought of Susan Boyle's. Her debut album was very good too, but this album has something for everyone. I love every single song on this album. Her voice is so sexy, she should release two albums a year. I can't get enough of her.

Someone to Watch Over Me
Someone to Watch Over Me by Susan Boyle (Audio CD - 2011)