Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services gotS5 gotS5 gotS5  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Someone should tell Africans this secret You know on TV how you see those poor, starving kids? Instead of sending them food, just tell them to think about food! The problem is they're thinking negative thoughts about food, and they're thinking negative thoughts about wealth!
asked by Jared Branch on June 28, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 233 answers
A
I need to jump in here. The point at issue is the source of that goal which one achieves. R. Alford is absolutely correct in his assertion that in order to achieve a goal one must be able to envision the reality of that goal and then work to achieve it. However, "The Secret" very clearly and repeatedly states that the "universe" will magically provide this goal, and that is where many individuals, including myself, disagree. The "universe" will not magically provide these things which they promise. There is a world of difference in endorsing the power of positive thinking and asserting that there is a "magic genie", and yes I understand that this is just an analogy, that will literally create a reality in one's life.
S. Routsong answered on June 29, 2007
Comment | 49 of 53 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
"Any individual can transcend their culture/group/race's limiting paradigm but they have to want to with great emotional energy."

Yeah you're absolutely right. Those kids just don't want to eat.
Jared Branch answered on June 29, 2007
Comment | 61 of 71 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Let me jump in here.

The Secret is B.S. on the whole "magical paradigm shift realized in reality", but it is correct in the influence perception can have on your life.

However, it's wrong on so many levels, as are all of these idiotic little mind over matter books. Yes, the fact that Africa is in a mental low may have something to do with poverty there, but I don't think the warlords pointing guns at starving kids and taking the food to feed their own armies are helping either.

Perception is wonderful, but a bullet in the face will ruin anyone's day, and realism takes over. Fanciful thinking will only get you so far, and a quick and untimely demise, or even a stroke of bad luck, will ruin even the best of mind techniques.
Green Lantern answered on July 1, 2007
Comment | 48 of 52 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
J. Branch. You really, really should carefully read my post before calling me a delusional idiot. I clearly stated that I disagree with the secret's claim that there is a magical force which can create a reality in one's life. I will state it plainly so you can understand. I do not buy into this nonsensical lunacy, and if you want to demonstrate your intelligence you might try making a rationally stated argument rather than hurling childish insults.
S. Routsong answered on June 30, 2007
Comment | 31 of 41 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How in the world does a 20 mile marathon relate to anything we are talking about?
Jared Branch answered on June 29, 2007
Comment | 23 of 34 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I find it most amusing that you obviously still haven't read my posts and realized that I essentially agree with your original point, even if you can't state it intelligently. :-)
S. Routsong answered on June 30, 2007
Comment | 22 of 32 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
J. Branch, if you'll note the tone in my post, it was not such that would imply anything negative against intellectuals (and I do consider myself an intelligent person, though not extremely so), but rather against those who tout intelligence as supremely important while insulting others who, while being intelligent themselves, simply differ in opinion (for example, you equated a belief in the principles in this book with stupidity, while it is simply a difference in opinion and belief systems).

As for your comment, I am in fact not an evangelical Christian, as I have no religious affiliation; but again you hint at your tunnel-visioned view of other people (or so it would seem) by implying that all evangelical Christians either hate intelligent people or are lacking it themselves, as if faith and intelligence can't coexist.
Josh answered on July 7, 2007
Comment | 10 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
so starving children in africa don't have an image of food in their minds? on the contrary, when you're hungry, you think of nothing BUT food. blame blame blame. somehow if they are starving it must be their fault. not monsanto or adm, not their governments, not the world corporate economy. they're just not visualizing hamburgers clearly enough.

oops, i was sarcastic too.
dan's the man answered on July 14, 2007
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The way I understand it, when I think something it actually sends out frequencies to the outside world that match what I'm thinking, and then whatever I think zooms over to me because I'm thinking it.

I don't disagree that positive thinking is helpful, but the whole notion of such an absurd assumption is both ridiculous and scientifically unsound
Jared Branch answered on July 10, 2007
Comment | 10 of 13 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A very good summation of the "Secret." And, as for the proponents of this drivel, I am still waiting for an answer to the question: why not simply teach Africans the Secret, rather tan send them food and medicine? With the Secret they could attract those things to themselves on their own.

For that matter, why don't we disband the entire medical establishment, since one can think their way to health?
Free Thinker answered on July 10, 2007
Comment | 9 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   24   Next ›

See all questions about this product