5.0 out of 5 stars The Everyday Life of an Interracial Family (Review 1999)
Published on April 25, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bad format
Published on October 6, 2009 by Bev

5.0 out of 5 stars The Everyday Life of an Interracial Family (Review 1999), April 25, 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book a few years ago. We are an interracial family (through adoption) and I wanted positive images of families like ours. This book takes the reader on a wild shopping adventure with the youngest family member: the candy-crazed, Tyya. She reminds me of our candy fiend! This is one of our kids most favorite books (the cover has even become unattached.) The illustrations and the text are great fun for kids and adults alike!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book, bad format, October 6, 2009
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
I love the Munsch books and had read this one before so I ordered it, with 3 others, as a present for a little girl I know. I was deeply disappointed when I found that this was a "mini" book. Rather than being the typical size Munsch book that I have bought in the past (maybe 8" x 6"), this was only about 3" square. The story is good and I guess the price should have been a tip-off. When I looked the item up today, I could not find anything in the description that mentioned the size. By clicking on a link I found that there were other 'formats' but as far as I could tell, none of them mentioned a size. Possibly the older version is more normal.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite munsch book, October 13, 2003
Janelle (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
yes this is my favorite munsch book of all time.....such a cute story...i love munsch....he's a genius just as seuss....the two have quite different styles of writing..but they get the point across...something good has always been my favorite though.... simple and fun =)

4.0 out of 5 stars The nieces liked it, July 26, 2008
Robert Munsch writes some weird books, that's for sure. I've read several of them, and the common thread is "this book is really over-the-top and weird".

Little kids think they're hysterical.

As an adult, I'm torn between "Yup, hysterically funny" and being a little concerned about some of the unfortunate implications of what's going on.

In this one, a little girl keeps trying to get her dad to get junk instead of food, and he tells her no, of course. He's so mad he tells her to stand still, and she obeys perfectly. Too perfectly - a stocker picks her up and puts her on the shelf with the dolls for $29.95!

Hilarity ensues, and eventually the man is forced to buy his own daughter... which, given that he's white and she's very biracial, does lead to me going "WTF?" slightly. Unfortunate implications, as I said. That's not what the story is saying, that's not what any little kid is going to get from it, there's nothing wrong with the story, it just weirds me out a little.

At any rate, both my nieces (5 and 2.5) found it really funny, and, as always, that's what matters. (They also like that her dad bought ONE bit of junk at the end for his daughter, a bag of colorful cereal. Aw.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Good (Annikin) by Robert Munsch, November 2, 2012
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
I've been reading Robert Munsch books for 20 years. I have read them to neices, nephews, kids I've mentored, neighbor kids, kids at church, airports, & doctors offices and any place you find a kid. Kids love them as they have a great story, good rhythm and they are funny. "Something Good is about a young girl who is grocery shopping with her family and the funny things that happen to her when she is mistaken for store mrerchandise." "Annikins" are approx 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" so they fit in a birthday card or in your purse. You can also buy the books in 8" x 8" glossey cardboard cover or in hardback. In my opinion, any Robert Munsch books are the best. He has around 30+ titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Good by Michael Martchenko, December 21, 2002
Lakaya M. Peeples (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
this book is funny and witty and my kids just loved it. it captured the torture kids go thru in the grocery store with their parents....esspecially when the parents are frustrated. One gets separated from dad becuz he fussed...and she did EXACTLY what he said. THEN the fun ensues with what happens after that. My children are teen age now and we still love this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love the book, but hate the size!, November 2, 2013
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
I love Robert Munsch, and this story is one I grew up with, but I was HIGHLY disappointed when I got the books and they were 'mini'. I never thought that I would have to read the product dimensions for a book, as I bought some Robert Munsch books last year around this time and they were 'normal size', but I guess the price should have given me a clue. Love the book, just don't love the fact that I didn't know exactly what size of book I was going to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is a Handful!, August 18, 2009
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
A few years back, as I strolled through a Canadian bookstore, these tiny 3 ˝" by 3 ˝" books leaped from the shelf and said: "Buy me, now, and take me home with you!" Well, not really, but it sounds good. At the time, I could envision these tiny books would not only fit in the hand of young students, but in their hearts as stories to read over and over again. Some of these books are also printed in larger sizes, but this one "Something Good" is just a teeny tiny book to fit in your hand and maybe your pocket.

Robert Munsch, the author, and Michael Martchenko, the illustrator team up in this book to portray poor dad, frazzled by a shopping trip to a store, with little Tyya and her brother and sister. In the course of the shopping trip, Tyya checks out Dad's purchases and finds them uninteresting and dull. Instead, she sets off to get her own cart full of "all she wants", and surprises Dad, only to hear him play it down as "junk food", and "stuff that will rot your teeth", or "lower your IQ".

Tyya doesn't just shop for a couple of her favorites, she grabs hundreds. Dad's favorite response is "YIKES" and "Put it back".
Then, he decides to make her stand in one place, while he shops. Anyone who has shopped with youngsters knows the all too many scenarios that take place. She really stood there, and Dad must have given her a stern look.

As the story continues, Tyya is the focus of shoppers passing her, sometimes bumping her, and others admiring her. A store clerk decides that a price tag is needed to put on Tyya, and what do you think happens next? You,ve got to read this book to find out. See you at the check-out!
By the way, these 3 ˝" by 3 ˝" books are part of the Annikins series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mini-Munsch!, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
I love that the Munsch books come in miniature like this. I bought them as end of year gifts for my students and they loved them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Good, June 4, 2013
This review is from: Something Good (Annikins) (Paperback)
All kids just love his books and want them read over and over again. Great storyline!
I would highly recommend this book.

Something Good (Annikins)
Something Good (Annikins) by Robert Munsch (Paperback - January 1, 1995)
$1.99