5.0 out of 5 stars FIVE STARS ARE NOT NEARLY ENOUGH, December 6, 1999
PW (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
Ella Fitzgerald is one of the best vocalists of all time. And her music is an essential to anyone's collection. Her music has the ability to make you feel so many different emotions. It's best enjoyed with your eyes closed and either alone or with someone you care deeply for. This collection is some of her best performances (not that she ever had a bad one). I highly recommend this CD, and anything else by Ella to anyone who truly loves good music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE ELLA!!!, January 21, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
This is only one of the best things in my life, listening to Ella Fitzgerald sing!! This double CD is better than great. Oh my God, I have listened to 'Round Midnight and Dukes Place too many times to count! EVERY song is special and I cannot seem to get enough of Ella singing. I first really listened to Ella sing "Azure" a Duke Ellington composition. I was amazed, joyful, smiling, what a voice. If you love Ella, you'll love this CD (I also have the VHS of the same name-poignant).

4.0 out of 5 stars This collection is more about the singer than the songs, July 25, 2005
Mr Likeable (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
Ella is terrific, and this collection showcases her virtuosity. If you're looking for virtuoso vocal work, look no further and buy this!

But I find this set - and some of Fitzgerald's other collections - a little frustrating. Don't get me wrong - it's easy to cull a very, very nice iPod playlist from these songs.

But if you specifically want to listen to great interpretations of great songs, there's quite a bit of filler here. It seems that quite a few of Ella's performances become "about the singer and the singing" rather than remaining true to the substance of the songs. "Mack the Knife" is, of course, a famous case in point as Ella replaces forgotten verses with an improvised commentary on the fact that she has forgotten them. But too many of the songs on this collection follow a similar path: the core of many of the songs are replaced by demonstrations of vocal skill, and large chunks of lyrical content are shunned, only to be replaced by Ella's (admittedly excellent) scat - or by sung descriptions of singing. Enough I say!

In summary: If you're looking for documentation around one of the greatest live-show singers of all-time, then this is a nice document. If, however, you're looking for magnificent delivery of magnificent songs - where the songs are truly revered - I'd have to suggest that this package - and quite a bit of Ella's material - comes up a little short. And that's the criteria on which I like to make my purchases. I hope this helps your selection, and ultimately: this is a collection that includes some awesome interpretations of awesome songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars OH LADY BE GOOD!, May 25, 2003
Alan W. Petrucelli (THE ENTERTAINMENT REPORT (ALAN W. PETRUCELLI)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
A-tisket, a-tasket, I think my stereo just blew a gasket. This two-disc set is the companion piece to PBS' "American Masters" documentary on Ella Fitzgerald. Need we say more? This panoramic view of her career unites her best work from the Decca and Verve years, complete with dead-on impersonations of Pearl Bailey and Della Reese; guest stars include Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Louis Armstrong, never better than rappin' with the Queen on "Can Anyone Explain?" We can explain: The rare tracks are superb; the faves are --- as always --- brilliant. Oh, lady be good!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, January 14, 2013
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
Classic Ella - great 2 CD set - have so many of her music and there are some repeats, but also some hard to find songs

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing encapsulated legacy, May 6, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Something to Live for (Audio CD)
This is the voice I most associate with the 40's and any WWII films I've ever seen. If it's not Ella singing, its probably someone trying to sound like her. Airmail Special is probably one of the best examples of her effortless ability with Bebop. Also notable is her improv rendition of "Mack The Knife" which she doesn't remember all the words to! Genius is the only word to describe her, since she had no training and never warmed up before performing.

Something to Live for
Something to Live for by Ella Fitzgerald (Audio CD - 1999)