4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, like my best friend wrote it!
Published on March 13, 2009 by Mint910

3.0 out of 5 stars Something, Maybe review
Published on July 13, 2009 by Sharon A. Somers

4.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, like my best friend wrote it!, March 13, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
Previous to this I had only read Bloom by Elizabeth Scott. I thought that one was ok where as this was fantastic! Right off the bat the book was funny and engaging, it felt like my best friend wrote it, someone with my same sense of humor. I found myself giggling and laughing and possibly even snorting once or twice when reading this book. It was a lot of fun but also had a more serious and emotional side.

The humor was found in all sorts of places from the fact that Hannah works at a call center for BurgerTown (what?!?!?!) with two boys from her high school, one who she has a massive crush on and the other one that annoys the heck out of her. And that basically she has someone not unlike Hugh Hefner for a father. Just a great set-up for a book.

While her family situation is humorous (old playboy dad with lots of girlfriends and a mother that used to be one of them and now has her own internet show) it's also the source for the more serious emotional stuff in the book. Hannah hasn't seen her father in about 5 years and gets made fun of at school because of her family. There is a lot of stuff going on here.

My favorite part, of course, was the love triangle that forms between Hannah and her co-workers Josh and Finn. Pretty much everyone but Hannah knows which one she should go for. It almost gets to the point where she seems kind of dense but finally comes to her senses!

I thought this was a funny, engaging and sweet book and it's just proven to me more why I should read the rest of Elizabeth Scott's books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Unique and strong, March 19, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
If you think your parents are bad, try having a scantily clad mother who makes a living by hosting her own web show, and a famous playboy father old enough to be your grandfather. This is Hannah's reality, and her extremely embarrassing parents cause her to strive to become unnoticeable so as not to attract condemnation and rude comments from her sometimes-heartless classmates. But when her father contacts her for the first time in years, it dredges up a lot of buried feelings and resentments, but also may enable her to gain the confidence she lacks.

Elizabeth Scott takes what is a very much a repeated lesson in YA literature and gives it new life with her unique plot line and her trademark heartfelt storytelling. Hannah is a strong, intelligent, and no-nonsense character, yet her inability to see some truths makes her an endearing and convincing character, if not frustrating at times. The family dynamics in Something, Maybe are certainly unique and quite interesting to read about and observe; they are sometimes humorous, and at the same time sorrowful to witness as Hannah is put into an unenviable position of understanding and dealing with her father's distracted and detached love for her. Scott's talent for dealing with love, loss, family, and relationships in a wholly sincere way without being cliché is once again present in Something, Maybe, making her latest an enjoyable and sweet book that is the perfect pick-me-up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Something, Maybe review, July 13, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
The plot of Something, Maybe was hardly original, but Elizabeth Scott creates so many vivid and believable characters that it hardly matters. The plot was pretty straight forward and it was obvious which boy Hannah was going to wind up with at the end. The predictability of Something, Maybe is what lead me to give it a lower rating. Who wants to read a book when they know what is going to happen already?

While the predictability factor annoyed me, I still enjoy reading this book. Elizabeth Scott is just so darn good at what she does. In Something, Maybe she creates a rich environment filled with interesting and entertaining characters. I loved Hannah, her mom, Finn, Josh, and even Jackson. Hannah's home life is unique at the very least with a mom who spends her days walking around the house in lingerie in between shooting webcams. I was worried that I wasn't going to like Hannah's mother at all, but she turned out to be a very sympathetic character. As for Hannah, I got annoyed with her at first for being mean to Finn and obsessing over Josh's looks. I swear if I had to read one more sentence about his great hair I was going to scream!

My favorite parts of the book were when Hannah was at work with Finn and Josh. I enjoyed reading about the interaction between Hannah and the two boys. I also enjoyed reading about the job itself. Who but Elizabeth Scott could make answering phone for a fast food place sound interesting? I dare anyone elseto try this!

Overall, Something, Maybe was a fast and fun read. This would be a great book to read if you're in the middle of a reading slump as it is very short and easy to read. I would also recommend it to other Elizabeth Scott fan girls.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a favorite but still a fun read, July 4, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
I kept hearing about Elizabeth Scott's books and when I saw Something, Maybe sitting on the library self I had to pick it up. The story was cute but pretty predictable. I loved Finn and thought he was the sweetest guy despite Hannah's obliviousness towards his feelings. I mean come on, was she really that blinded by her infatuation with Josh? Despite that it was an enjoyable story and I think a lot of readers would be able to relate to her aversion to taking the risk of putting her feelings out there. While not one of my favorite YA romance books it was nonetheless a quick, fun read.

5.0 out of 5 stars GreenBeanTeenQueen Reviews, July 20, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
I had been in a reading slump before I started to 48 Hour Book Challenge so even though I was looking forward to reading, I wasn't sure if I'd find books I'd want to read straight through. Lucky for me Something, Maybe was near the top of my pile, because without it (and Melissa Walker's wonderful Lovestruck Summer), I don't think I could have made it.

I don't know how Elizabeth Scott does it, but she continues to amaze me with every book. Can I just bottle some of her talent please? Something, Maybe is the perfect love story, but it's not just a romance. It's a story about loss, family, acceptance and forgiveness. It goes beyond what a light romance typically does without feeling like a heavy issue book. How Elizabeth Scott pulls all this off is what makes reading this book so much fun.

The most amazing thing to me that Elizabeth Scott pulls off in this book is that I was totally drawn in to Hannah's world. When Hannah feels frustrated with her father, I felt frustrated. When she was upset, I was upset and when she was happy I cheered with her. I really emotionally connected with the story and the characters, which made this one such a rewarding read.

And Finn....sigh....I love Finn.

If you haven't picked this one up yet, put it to the top of your reading pile now! Something, Maybe is my new must have book for Summer Reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Paperback)
This is my favorite Elizabeth Scott book. It is sooo cute! Its an addicting and fast read for any time in the year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Elizabeth Scott!!! Another Great Read!, October 18, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
My Thoughts: So its been a while where I really get sucked into a book. Where I lay in bed and don't want to turn off the light because I'm still reading and I want to know what happens next. Where the thought of putting the book aside makes me sad. Until now.. Well, this book totally amazed me! This is now one of my favorite new books. When I first saw this book I had no clue what it was about. With the title Something, Maybe it could be about anything. I loved the storyline. The characters were awesome, every single one of them. They all had an appeal to them. Hannah is a very likable character. You feel like you know what she's been through and you can relate to her so easily. My favorite was Finn!!! I adored him! I was in love with him from the very beginning. I did not like Josh at all, he rubbed me the wrong way. This book hooks you from the very beginning, its that good.

Overall: GREAT GREAT book! One of my new favorites! Recommend it to everyone!!!!

Cover: Totally fits the book! I love her hat and her bracelets. Its the right color of blue! A little low key but fits wonderfully. (Reviewed by Princess Bookie)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Teen Romance, September 10, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
Spoiler alert: Something, Maybe has all the drama, humor and teen angst I've come to expect from an Elizabeth Scott novel. Hannah is stuck in a town where she has one friend, Teagan, and one crush, Josh. Her mom, Candy Madison, is a semi-nude internet model who is in part an embarrassment to her, even as Hannah is protective of her. Whereas her mom loves to show off her body, Hannah's chosen the opposite route, hiding behind a ponytail and baggy layers, convinced that boys won't like her, even when there are clearly signs showing the opposite. She's trying to live down the reputation she's gained as daughter of Candy and Jackson James, a Hugh Hefner-esque character who has toyed with her feelings his whole life.

Then there's Finn, who it's clear to the reader right away is sweet, dorky, and charming. He helps Hannah out and does little things for her, and listens to her, but she ignores him, intent on pegging him as some Neanderthal while Josh is a god of politically correct hotness. Hannah is drawn as perhaps a little too socially inept, though there is welcome humor there too, like when she makes fun of another girl's promise ring without meaning to. When Josh reveals himself to be just as, if not more, self-absorbed as Jackson, it's almost a relief because now Hannah can stop obsessively crushing out on him.

Jackson is an interesting character because while it was easy to hate him, Scott makes him just human enough for the reader to hope that deep down inside, even though he fails utterly, he actually wants to try to be a dad to Hannah. It doesn't work out that way, but one hopes that maybe he will get to a place where he can see Hannah for who she is.

I really liked that Scott didn't make Candy just a caricature; Hannah, though she may not like it, has to accept that her mom likes what she does, and can (mostly) handle the slings and arrows thrown her way because of her profession. Candy's less good at dealing with her grief over losing her husband, Jose, but she is clearly a devoted mom. This is a sweet, sometimes bittersweet, romance that I for one would gladly read a sequel to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, August 20, 2009
Gold Star Award Winner!

Hannah's parents are embarrassing. Hannah's mom, Candy Madison, is a former "celebrity" who's known for a certain revealing pizza commercial, a short-lived TV show, and being the girlfriend of famous playboy and Hannah's father, Jackson James. She doesn't talk to her dad and her mom spends most of her time in online fan chats.

Hannah wishes she was a normal girl with a normal life who could attract the attention of her co-worker, Josh, who is obviously her soul mate (he just doesn't realize it). But the annoying Finn keeps getting in the way, and for some reason Hannah can't stop thinking about him.

I don't know how Elizabeth Scott does it, but she continues to amaze me with every book. Can I just bottle some of her talent, please?

SOMETHING, MAYBE is the perfect love story, but it's not just a romance. It's a story about loss, family, acceptance, and forgiveness. It goes beyond what a light romance typically does without feeling like a heavy issue book. How Elizabeth Scott pulls all this off is what makes reading this book so much fun.

The most amazing thing to me is that I was totally drawn in to Hannah's world. When Hannah felt frustrated with her father, I felt frustrated. When she was upset, I was upset, and when she was happy I cheered with her. I really emotionally connected with the story and the characters, which made this one such a rewarding read.

And Finn....sigh....I love Finn.

If you haven't picked this one up yet, put it to the top of your reading pile now! SOMETHING, MAYBE is my new must-have book for Summer Reading.

Reviewed by: Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars So sweet, May 9, 2009
This review is from: Something, Maybe (Hardcover)
Hannah is invisible, and she likes it that way. She made herself like that on purpose because everybody knows, it seems, who her parents are. Ordinarily, this might not be such a bad thing, but because her father is Jackson James, an older used-to-be-celebrity famous for partying with his scantily clad and much younger girlfriends, and her mother is Candy Madison, a has-been known for being clothed in naught but a pizza box in a commercial, attention is not something Hannah wants or needs. All Hannah wants to do is get her super cute crush Josh to notice her, but that's much easier said than done. And with family drama and the attention of annoying Finn, it's going to take some time for Hannah to realie who really cares about her.

Scott is by far one of my favorite teen romance authors because of the skill and passion shown by her writing, and Something, Maybe is definitely up to par. I love how Scott places her protagonists in such unique situations that make her stories so moving, emotional, and memorable. Hannah is a realistically drawn character, but even if I can't empathize with her life story as I'm sure most readers won't be able to, I can definitely related to her fear of taking risks and desire for something real she can count on. I was rooting the whole way for Hannah to sort out her life and find some happiness. I did feel that Hannah's friendship with Teagan was a little haphazardly thrown in there, but everything else is almost perfectly placed. Both predictable and surprising, Something, Maybe is a sweet romance that will evoke emotional response as well as happy sighs from all readers.

Fans of Scott's writing, especially in Bloom and Stealing Heaven, will not want to miss her latest in Something, Maybe. Readers who enjoyed When It Happens by Susane Colasanti or anything by Sarah Dessen will also like this romantic novel.

Something, Maybe
Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott (Paperback - February 23, 2010)
$9.99 $8.14