4.0 out of 5 stars This one really draws you in...
At first I was taken aback by this CD. I thought "what's with THIS anyway?". But I found myself weirdly drawn to it, as if inticed by a riddle. I began listening closely to it, finding new meaning in the sequencing of the songs, the lyrics, and the musical themes. This is an intriguing concept album if you give it a chance.
Many other reviewers here have...
Published on December 20, 2003 by DXR

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of their best
Kind of moody. Not as upbeat as I like for Swing Out Sister. They have never put out a bad CD but every one has its own style to them. Every fan will like them all but will love some more than others. I would compare this CD to the "Living Return" if you liked that one you will love this one.
Published 14 months ago by David M. Hanson

4.0 out of 5 stars This one really draws you in..., December 20, 2003
DXR "The Eyeful" (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
Many other reviewers here have said it well: this work seems to be set to film -- a contemporary, urban tale of romance, betrayal and self discovery. Slightly retro 60's in places, but never corny or derivative -- absolutely original in approach, and full of pleasant surprises.
Some songs are flawless in their composition. My favorites:
1. Somewhere Deep In The Night (worthy-of-air-play theme song)
2. The Vital Thing (awesome Stan Getz style tenor sax solo by Nigel Hitchcock)
3. Alpine Crossing (classic 5th Dimension-esque vocalese, with a touch of Henry Mancini)
4. Where The Hell Did I Go Wrong? (The Carpenters live!)
5. Non E Vero Ma Ci Credo (pure Bacharach elegance)
6. Where Did I Go? (WOW! Move over Jackie DeShannon, Corrine's in town!)
If you listen carefully on track 4 you can hear these words spoken: "That's all you wanted to do, wasn't it? Weird. The heel was the vital thing, yea? It had to be spikey and 5 inch. Hey, that is not my job..." (Translation open to your imagination!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Andy & Corinne's Excellent Adventure!, June 18, 2001
Alain Brouillaud (Helsinki, FINLAND) - See all my reviews
For Swing Out Sister fans in the U.S.A it's the wait that's so difficult. Once the CD arrives from Japan just imagine our expectations. "Somewhere Deep In The Night" is a deep and lovely experience, my expectations were met and surpassed!
My first couple of listens were without headphones - there I really cheated myself from the beautiful arrangements and Corinne's lovely voice. Once I listened with headphones, I felt the gates opening and I haven't left since! Now I'll take you through the CD:
1) "Through The Sky" - The albums' first single. A unique song for any other band to release but not S.O.S.! The cut sounds like a theme from a British detective show. This will be appreciated in Japan but won't fit into the U.S. radio format.
2) "Will We Find Love?" - This cut has been growing on me with each listen. At first it sounds akward, you have to let this one sink in a little bit.
3) "Somewhere Deep In The Night" - A great smooth jazz cut! A song with energy and wonderful harmonizing. Any record executive (if he/she has a brain) should have this played on the CD 101.9's of the world.
4) "The Vital Thing" - A Francis Lai inspired interlude. Just close your eyes and you'll have a vision of walking with your loved one in Paris.
5) "What Kind Of Fool Are You?" - This is the song that could be played on U.S. radio! The chorus is catchy and I'm sure S.O.S fans in Japan will eat this one up.
6) "Suspended In Time" - Interlude.
7) "Alpine Crossing" - A jazzy Brazilian instrumental with great harmonizing in it. This is a classic, brilliant S.O.S song.
8) "Fool Tag" - Interlude.
9) "Where The Hell Did I Go Wrong?" - A perfect follow up to "What Kind Of Fool Are You?" as a single. Lyrically, it is Corinne's answer to 10cc's "I'm Not In Love".
10) "Non E Vero Ma Ci Credo" - Interlude
11) "Touch Me Now" - Similar to Francis Lai's "Theme De Candice" and "Aujourd'hui C'est Toi". Corinne's lyrics: "To guide me for as long as you're beside me, I still wake up in love, Whatever your dreaming of" say it all!
12) "The Vital Thing - Take B" - Better than the first take!
13) "Where Do I Go?" - A soulful ballad. This really grabbed me the first time I listened to it. This ranks with great S.O.S songs like "Now You're Not Here", "Notgonnachange" and "Forever Blue".
14) "Now Listen To Me" - A theme to close out the album. There are parts of different songs from the album.
I would like to thank Andy & Corinne for releasing this gem on my birthday - May 23rd. I couldn't have asked for a better birthday present! If you love music that touches your soul and makes you think then this is a MUST CD in your collection.
Treat yourselves, Alain

5.0 out of 5 stars Mature and mellow., September 11, 2004
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
I first found out about SOS while living in Japan during the eighties. They were fresh, smart and upbeat with strings and horns that hooked me for good. Being a rocker at the time it was something of an admission to like something so "pop" but there I was. Follow up albums only cemented my admiration for their talent and how, as I matured, the music evoked memories of my travels. Sometimes you can picture cool rainy nights through a window while city lights reflect all about. Anything that can do that to me is a keeper. It seems that over the years their tempo has eased a bit but not the underlying desire or passion. My only regret is in finding this album years after it was released. Don't delay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cinematic Easy Listening, October 30, 2001
(Actual rating: 3.5 stars) With "Somewhere deep in the night," S.O.S. seems to have reached a comfortable groove in which to settle, incorporating various elements of musical style(s) that had previously dominated individual albums. Like "Filth and Dreams," their previous Japan-only release, this album is a highly polished pastiche of urban romance and Pop hooks. But the group's minor flirtation with contemporary rhythm arrangements ("Who's Been Sleeping," "Sugar Free") is absent in this outing, replaced by and large by sweeping orchestration. The finished music is unabashedly retro in the vein of "Kaleidoscope World," yet the production (as always) sounds state of the art.
SOS' have long since proven their chops as musicians and performers, but the sleek professionalism of "Somewhere..." occasionally sounds anonymous. Though the group's touring band (featured prominently in "The Living Return" and the live album) failed to give SOS a signature sound, their absence from the last three releases is most telling here. The arrangements and instrumentation are as crisp and clean as ever, but they lack the dynamics and "personality" of a band recording. In short, it takes more than studio mastery to create lasting musical impressions.
The body of "Somewhere..." is a set of tuneful Pop songs, often set to a languid pace. Though Corinne's lyrics follow a familiar path through romantic fantasy and heartbreak, the jazzy sounds of previous efforts are rejected in favor of cinematic moods and wistful instrumental segues. In some ways, this album would make an excellent soundtrack to a film, if a suitable plot could be devised that incorporated its' musical moods. Offered here without a visual context, "Somewhere..." relies on roughly half of its' material to carry the album. The rest of the tracks (including "The Vital Thing," "Suspended In Time," "Alpine Crossing," "Fool Tag," "Non E Vero Ci Credo" and "Now Listen To Me") are alternately artful and inexplicable. While not out of musical context, they offer much more "ambiance" than substance.
Fortunately, there are some terrific, genuine songs included in this collection. My vote for best track goes to "What Kind Of Fool," a bittersweet Pop tune tailor-made for Adult Contemporary programming. (It's also the kind of classic SOS track that makes this listener shake his head at the inevitable myopia of radio and video playlists.) Runners up include the title track, the first single ("Through The Sky") and "Touch Me Now." The latter track seems the only true combination of SOS' trademark Pop smarts and their cinematic influences in this album. With its' galloping percussion and dramatic orchestration, "Touch Me Now" would be a welcome (and memorable) inclusion in any suitable motion picture.
Viewed simply as musical entertainment, "Somewhere..." skimps on composition, relying on listener's imaginations as much as it relies on Pop music tradition. In my opinion, this album is a comfortable listen, but not much of a musical statement. Longtime fans of SOS will buy this album regardless of the comments posted by reviewers like myself, and I leave it to them to make their own judgements. Occasional SOS fans and "intiates" would do better to select "Shapes and Patterns" or "Kaleidoscope World" for purchase. If those two albums appeal to individual listeners, "Somewhere deep in the night" will likely appeal to them as well.
J

5.0 out of 5 stars Swing Out Sister...Take you on a...Magic Carpet Ride..., April 2, 2002
Ric Schaeffer (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
...Swing Out Sister...Are back with their latest album...Somewhere Deep In The Night...Corinne's vocals shine bright...On this Collection...Lush Arrangements...Heart-Filled Ballads...
...With the Japanese Release...The first single...(Through The Sky)...Charted the top of the Japanese Music Charts...Climbing to...Number(2)...
...Corinne and Andy...Sweep you up...And take you on a...Beautiful Journey...From the very first listen...It envelopes you in a whirl of...Seduction...
...A true classic today...And many years to come...One of their finest!...

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS BY FAR THEIR BEST, April 11, 2003
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of SOS since their debut "Breakout" back in 1987. I can say, without hesitation, that Swing Out Sister is my favorite musical group of all time.
I fell in love with this cd (SOMEWHERE DEEP IN THE NIGHT) right after song #2. It captivated me and have loved every word, every note and every feeling from this cd.
Every song reminds of old school SOS. But then again their sound remains very smooth, flowing and just down right excellent.
This cd reminds me of GET IN TOUCH WITH YOURSELF and KALEIDSCOPE WORLD and SHAPES AND PATTERNS and the debut IT'S BETTER TO TRAVEL.
SOMEWHERE DEEP IN THE NIGHT is a beautiful exploration of love between two people who are truly in love. Even the instrumentals evoke so much feeling. Corrine's vocals are as strong and powerful as ever. There really is no difference in the cds they have put out in the past. And that is a good thing. This cd uses some SOS stuff that we are used to: pop, a little r&b, a little rock, and a whole lotta soul. What is added to make it a little tastier is a more jazzy feel.
Swing Out Sister broke out into America with "Breakout" and disappeared after that. They were termed a "one hit wonder". I beg to differ. All of their music is rarely heard in today's market. Their songs are relaxing just like a calm lake on a summer morning. Sometimes the songs do have a rough edge but Corrine's vocals smooth over the rough parts.
In closing, this is one great cd. This is a cd to have if you are indeed a BIG SWING OUT SISTER fan like me.
Even if you are not a SOS fan, start exploring them with this one and you will enjoy what America should be listening to.
ENJOY!

5.0 out of 5 stars THEIR BEST WORK YET!, October 23, 2002
Victoria Selhorst (San Antonio, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
Ab Fab!
Their best work yet! Their jazzy musical lyrics accompanied with an expensive cup of coffee reminded me of Europe. The thunderous drum precussions and big band sound accompanying Corrine's liquid-rich voice in "Where Do I Go" were pure artistry.
Of course, some tracks are better than others, but; "Non E Varo Ma Ci Credo" , "Where the Hell Did I Go Wrong", "What Kind of Fool", and "Somewhere Deep In the Night" were the best tracks on this album. This kind of music (and this kind of band) need and deserve some recognition for their brilliance.
It's a shame that this stuff isn't being played on the radio. The only thing that's kept SOS off the Top 10 all this time is that this kind of music cannot be defined or put into one single schema.
One thing is for certain is this, PURE MAGIC-KEEP IT UP.
Victoria Selhorst

4.0 out of 5 stars SOS's own Movie Theme, January 15, 2005
D. E Williams "gs08dew" (Bridgeport, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
This cd kinda of caught me for a minute because it was SO DIFFERENT than anything I've ever heard. Very late 60's-Early 70's James Bond/ Action Movie type music. I dig it though. It's so engaging with the whole pop, bossa nova, & soul feel. Another great collection by a group that never disappoints!

peace,

gs08dew

5.0 out of 5 stars A re-newed Swing Out fan ........, August 31, 2004
P. C Zeller "Modster" (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
Having followed this duo in their early years I really thought they had some potiential. Honestly, they saved their best work for later and it starts right here with this CD. What a relaxing CD, it takes you to another place like Corrine and Andy's "Alpine vacation" (see the SOS DVD). It does remind of a soundtrack like the other reviewer stated but none the less it is incredible. Definitely share this CD with that special someone over dinner or a road trip. All the tracks are perfect sound quality and some great styles. Her voice is so special and I really wish they would get more "airplay" in the states as they are so under rated except in Japan and the UK. I'm so glad they made this cd. Keep swinging out Corrine and Andy!

5.0 out of 5 stars swing out sister make a movie!!??!!, June 10, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere Deep in the (Audio CD)
Upon the first notes to the song Through the Sky, i knew i was listening to beginning credits. the first steps in a dream made by a duo not afraid to be creative,playful,joyous and understatedly cool.the movie unfolds slowly, a present unwrapped to become a dionne warwick meets james bond at le seine flick.a bold and modern take on anyting cinematic with a modern pop edge. full of jazz overtones, raw soulful musicianship mixed with one of the most beautiful alto flute vocals you will ever hear.so much range from this duo. so pop the popcorn dim the lights shut the world out turn up the movie on your headphones.

Somewhere Deep in the
Somewhere Deep in the by Swing Out Sister (Audio CD - 2002)
Rate and Discover Movies