Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Song of the Fairy Queen
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$5.99

on December 27, 2011
This is a pretty epic book. No, really, it's long, covers a couple of years, lots of traveling, and has an epic feel to it. It reminds me more of one of those "guy" fantasy stories that has a couple of volumes. I hate to say it, but the first half of the book dragged. I felt like it could have been cut in half and moved a lot faster, and there was too much of a focus on politics and more minor characters. BUT - the second half of the book rocked. The action was fast paced, the love scenes were hot, the dialogue was snappy, and the focus remained on the people I actually gave a hoot about - Kyriay and Morgan.

Read the full review at Love on the Bookshelf: [...]
on August 1, 2012
The fairy queen is the most gorgeous, beautiful, etc. etc. Morgan has the bluest eyes, hard abs, etc. etc. The hunters look like wolves walking on two legs and think like men. Repeat ad nauseum. Take out most of the repetition and it would probably shave 100+ pages off the book.

The story is good if you can get past all the repetition. I managed to with the author's book titled Nike's Wings but I could not make it through this one.
on June 2, 2012
I grew to love the characters and genuinely cared what happened to them. That's my main desire when I read a book. If I don't care about the characters, it's a complete waste of my time even if the plot is fascinating.

I didn't find the plot extremely wonderful, but I did like it and it didn't get in the way of the characters as sometimes happens.

I skipped one or two of the sex scenes, just because I don't normally care to read them, not because the author wrote them badly.

The only thing I got tired of was the main characters saving each other constantly. She saves him, then he saves her, then she saves... Might be my imagination, but it seemed to go back and forth throughout the book. It was getting just short of annoying for me. I'll have to read it again to see if it was just me or what.

I was going to give this 4 stars, but that 1 star review just ticked me off. I didn't think it was correct or fair so I'm bumping up to 5 stars to help offset it.
on February 29, 2012
Long, well written. Lighter on the romance, higher on the adventure. I had a tough time putting this one down.
on May 11, 2012
Dear Valerie,

Let me tell you that I totally enjoyed this book. I couldn't stop reading it. I couldn't sleep until I finished it. I fell in love with every character, suffered every pain they suffered, cried for their deaths and sacrifices. I hated the one, when Morgan was actually able to build another life without Kyri. But then you saved their love again. You almost killed me, when I read "She was gone" in page 490.
And I cried again in chapter 70.
I read this in my Kindle, but I definitely am going to buy this book, so I can have it as part of my collection. Thanks so much for this piece of work. It's just wonderful, awesome!! There are some grammatical mistakes. Besides that, GREAT JOB!
Please keep writing and all the best for you!
VINE VOICEon June 29, 2013
In many ways Song of the Fairy Queen was a refreshing jump back into the realm of wizards, knights, and magical creatures. Some good, some bad, duking it out for the future of the world. With many of the elements of high fantasy included, the story read a little bit like an Arthurian legend. The romance comes from an unexpected angle between High Marshall Morgan and the Queen of Fairy. The story follows them as they try to defeat the bad guys, protect the good guys, and still find time for themselves.

Kyriay is an amazing character with a quirky personality and a fierce protectiveness for all that she loves. Morgan is fighting for the survival of his rightful king and heir to the throne, as well as trying to help Kyriay protect her people as well. The story involves a ton of twists and turns, it seemed like it way maybe one too many for my taste, many times jumping along and ahead with no transitioning to help me adjust to the new setting/time. The ending makes up for it ten-fold with a truly epic conclusion. I would have liked to see more of some of the secondary characters and their relationships along the way though.
on August 12, 2012
I'm always delighted when I find a free download that I can give a 4 or 5 star rating to and while this is not quite a 5-star (mostly reserved for my must keep to re-read books) it is a solid 4 star. Author takes a standard framework for the plot, fairies, humans, evil brother to the king, dark wizards, etc. and weaves an interesting storyline around it. Good characterization and some atypical relationships between the fairy communities and the human characters.

The excellent characterization got me through the few slow portions without much difficulty. I do think another edit would have tightened the writing, picked up some more of the editing errors and made for a smoother read but I would definitely read another by this author.
VINE VOICEon October 19, 2013
I bought this book because of the cover. It's a beautiful rendering of a fairy at war. She's armed with a bow and arrow and a fierce expression. I also liked the book's name; Song of the Fairy Queen. Intriguing. The eBook joined the 600+ other books on my Kindle, almost to disappear into oblivion.

The truth is: I'm not a fairy person To me, fairies are buzzing, excessively happy fripperies like Tinker-belle. I don't like frothy, frivolous females and this could have devolved into a showcase for one.

I'm so glad I read this book. Once into it, I found The Song enthralling. The fairy queen is exquisitely beautiful, a great warrior and tough as nails. An enticing combination. The book is a morality tale, a fight between good and evil where freedom and decency are the prizes. It's a wonderful love story with powerful central figures that you want to root for. The rest of the characters are enthralling, too, even King What's His Name, the bad guy.

At one point (22% on my Kindle), I thought, Can I finish this book? Will my heart give out if I keep reading? There's so much action and excitement that I had to put the book down for a while. But I kept reading, and the thrills kept spooling out until the very end.

The Song of the Fairy Queen reminded my of George R.R. Martin's work and his wonderful fantasy kingdoms. This is first rate fantasy and I highly recommend it.

I do have one question, which is more of an intellectual one than critical. How'd the Bad King get so bad? Was he a bad seed? A rotten apple? The product of an abusive childhood? I'd like to see why he turned out that way.

Now to charge on to Valerie Douglas's other work. I'm glad she's written a lot.
on September 14, 2012
From the first page, you will be drawn to the characters and the story line. This is a "hook you" book. I would spend every spare minute of my time reading this fantastic book. This is the first book I have read from this author, but it will not be my last. The story has action, happiness, sorrow, romance and much, much more. It is one book that is well worth the read. Get it and enjoy the story and characters, you will not regret it.
on September 6, 2012
At first I thought this story would be about a happy time with a Fairy Queen, but throughout the whole story you're compelled to fight along side Kyriay, Queen of the Fair, and her friends and allies. In the time of war, nothing is happy forever so there are many heart-wrenching times but to counter there are times when the good and light side shines through.

It's a great story to take a ride on, I implore curious readers to take a chance on Song of the Fairy Queen. It took me a bit to get into it, but once I was hooked I didn't want to put it down!