Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 5, 2011
Song of the Ovulum is the first book in Bryan Davis' new series, Children of the Bard, which builds upon two past series, Dragons in our Midst, and Eye of the Oracle. While it is helpful to read the other two series to get the maximum enjoyment out of this, I believe anyone can enjoy it nonetheless.

Song of the Ovulum follows two main sub-plots that work together to the conclusion. Matt and Lauren are two sixteen-year-olds who begin to realize they have abilities that are unlike those of the normal human as they both find themselves in a strange prison that holds mysterious prisoners. The second plot follows the story of Joran and Selah, the children of Methuselah and grandchildren of Enoch as they travel through fascinating and dangerous lands in hopes to sometime escape the expansive prison they live in.
For more information on the book, visit the book's web page.

If you've read my reviews of previous Davis titles then you know that for some reason, I have had past troubles reading the author's books straight through. Something about them typically just makes it difficult to stay in the story continually. I read this book digitally on the computer straight through. It hooked me that much. I very much enjoyed this novel.
The book starts with a prologue in first person explaining a tragedy that has befallen some of the original anthrozils. It hooks the reader from the very first page and doesn't let up. The tale goes through various points in time and locations. The book references events from past books and can be really rewarding for readers that have read both of the Dragons in our Midst and Oracles of Fire series'. What I thought most interesting is how the world reacts to the dragons, anthrozil's, and Second Eden. The past books have left the world out of what's really going on, but this book engages the rest of the world full on and it was definitely an interesting idea to explore.
The characters were very fleshed out, and while they kept their perfect characteristics that all of the protagonists of Davis books are known to carry with them, they still maintain their realistic nature. Many might complain about this factor-that they don't mess up-but I think Mr. Davis handles it well and doesn't make the characters seem less real at all. The characters are well developed, attachable, and realistic.
The writing in the book was outstanding, showing just how much the author knows his craft. P.O.V.'s, while hard to discern sometimes, never switched mid-scene. Description was wonderful and easy to see while also leaving room to the reader's imagination. The writing was done very well.
The majority of the time is spent in one place, which I found a little irritating. I thought that the location was a little boring at first, but it soon because a set piece for a very nice plot. I look forward to some more varied settings in the future books of the series, but I can definitely see the purpose of the location in this book.
Overall, I really loved the book. It kept me engaged and wanting to return to read it again and again. The themes are really beautiful-mercy, love, forgiveness, sacrifice-and they are displayed wonderfully. I know at least a few people that will complain about the perfect characters, but it really didn't faze me at all. The characters were well done. I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to any fan of Mr. Davis' or anyone looking for a nice piece of fiction for the summer. I am highly curious to see what The Children of the Bard series has next.
on July 11, 2011
Review written by 14 year old girl:
"Children of the Bard: Song of the Ovulum" by Bryan Davis is the first book of the amazing continuation of the "Dragons in our Midst" and "Oracles of Fire" series. I really liked the ending to "The Bones of Makaidos" and I thought that it was a perfect way to end the series with a realistic happily-ever-after. When I discovered that Bryan Davis had continued this incredible masterpiece, I was stumped on what he could possibly have to write about. One fascinating story is told through three amazing series and many incredible adventures.

Bonnie, Billy, Ashley, and a few other anthrozils have been separated from their families and been imprisoned for the "safety" of the people. Second Eden has refused to become part of the United Nations and be put under a government other than that of their beloved King and Queen, so they are not on friendly terms with the United Nations. Bonnie and Billy's children were smuggled away and given new backgrounds but before anyone could be informed of their new identities, the messenger was killed. So for fifteen years, Billy, Bonnie, and Ashley are experimented on in a prison with little or no knowledge of their friends and family, while their children grow up in different foster homes without any knowledge of the truth.

This was an awesome book and I love that Bryan Davis continued this series. It was incredibly well told and I was fascinated by how well the multiple stories interlocked so ingeniously. My one and only regret is that I read this book before the other three were written. It ended on a strangely satisfyingly, yet frustrating cliffhanger, but any patience I had for waiting on the next book died most tragically no more than five minutes after I finished reading the last page.

I only use 5 stars on books I buy for my permanent library. This book is part of my "all ages" library.

Would I/Did I buy it? Yes
Would I read it again? Yes
Would I recommend it to friends? Yes
on July 5, 2011
Wow. And we thought this series was over. I can't imagine it without "Song of the Ovulum" anymore. It was a perfect addition: filled with the same action, suspense, high stakes, and unshakable faith as the first eight. From "Raising Dragons" through "The Bones of Makaidos", we have been growing to know and love Billy, Bonnie, Walter, Ashley, and all their friends. This book not only brought back nearly all the familiar faces, it introduced still more characters just as captivated and endearing as the originals. The stakes seemed so high, I often found myself thinking that there was no possible way out this time, but I was again proven wrong. Dragons, at least those that serve the Lord, really can take on almost anything. From the days of the flood, all the way to the stormy world relations with Second Eden, Mr. Davis has shown his amazing skill in weaving memorable characters into fantastical worlds where anything and everything might happen: plants may turn to people, voices may be stolen and returned, and songs of mercy have power incomprehensible. For those of you who thought the ride was over with "The Bones of Makaidos": Buckle your seat belts and get ready to dive in even farther, because you ain't seen nothin' yet.
on July 12, 2011
Fifteen years have passed since the happy ending of The Bones of Makaidos. And in those years, the dragons' hopes of peaceful coexistence with humans have vanished. Now, humans who distrust dragons and want to exploit their powers for their own use have captured several anthrozils in the interests of "national security."

But instead of giving us the story through the eyes of familiar characters, Bryan Davis allows us to see the world afresh, through the thoughts and acts of a new generation. While Billy, Bonnie, and the rest do play a part, most of the action is on Lauren, Matt, and two characters from the dateless past: Joran and Selah, son and daughter of Methuselah.

Some might call this a risky move. After all, he has spent the past eight books letting us get to know these characters, so why shift all of a sudden? But there is no fear of alienating the reader. Instead, by having the focus on new characters, Song of the Ovulum reads like something new. This is fitting because this story is something new. Yes, it's in the same story universe, but the world is different. I won't give a whole lot away to those who haven't read the book yet, but the happy ending in The Bones of Makaidos isn't so happy a few years later. The world has changed.

Davis also tries a new model of storytelling that pays off. The story switches back and forth from the near future to events from long ago, told in a way that is both creative and easy to keep track of. I don't want to say what it is, but Bryan Davis does a masterful job of keeping the reader engaged with two distinct story lines that feature the same villain, and without causing any confusion.

The only negative, if I must call it that, is this: the book isn't all that suitable for newcomers to the series. It assumes the readers are familiar with the previous eight books, even though the characters are new, and some of the flashbacks won't be appreciated by those who have not read the previous books. So for a first-time reader, I would say this: Song of the Ovulum is really book nine in a longer series, and it would be best for them to start with Raising Dragons and experience the adventure from there.
Children of the Bard Book 1
By Bryan Davis

Song of the Ovulum is the first book in a new series (Children of the Bard) by Bryan Davis. Though this is a new series it builds on two previous series Dragons in Our Midst and Oracles of Fire. If you have not read the previous two series, read the recap at the end of this book so you will have a basic understanding of preceding events and characters.

Song of the Ovulum covers two timelines. The first is Joran and Selah's story. Their story picks up the day before the Great Flood that will destroy everyone and everything not aboard Noah's Ark.
The second story is Matt and Lauren's, who are two 16 year olds with unique abilities. Matt can sense danger and avert disaster before it happens, he also never gets cold. Lauren can hear voices that no one else can hear as they are so quiet (whispers or talking to one's self). Lauren also glows in the dark. What happens when events bring these two together? Are the rumors true? Are Lauren and Matt anthrozils and have their true identities been hidden from them?

Take a journey through time and other dimensions and learn a lesson in mercy and forgiveness while demons, dragons and humanity battle for Heaven and Earth. Who will be victorious? An exciting page turner you won't want to put down.

Discover the Song of the Ovulum along with Joran, Selah, Matt and Lauren.
on April 11, 2012
Our beloved characters are back! The stakes are raised higher than ever for the Anthrozils. It takes place 15 years after the war on Second Eden. Their use to be peace between Earth and Second Eden, But Earth became fearful and manipulated buy rumors of "war that Second Eden would bring" of course they were lies, but that doesn't stop Earth from becoming consumed by their fears, the government thought the anthrozils living in their midst were spies for Second Eden and turned on them, arresting Billy, Bonnie, and Ashley, and Kid napping the Bannister's twins. All hope seems lost save for God who brought them through countless battles, they kept their faith strong even through years of torture. Only Walter can penetrate and look for ways of saving his friends and wife from the awful prison, since Second Eden is now closely monitored for portal openings he's on his own save for two helpful super computers. But while trying to make plans to spring his wife and friends, he goes in search of the Bannister's twins who are now 16. Only they can save the prisoners, and two ages old teenage children of Methuselah.
Just when you thought the books couldn't get any better they just got better, this new series opens the next chapter in the story world we love so much, and many fans like Song of the Ovulum better than Bones of Makaidos. As always the book is written very well the characters are amazing (the old as well as the new characters). It's an adrenaline laced epic, and way more dangerous for the characters than ever before. My heart stopped numerous times with all the suspense. Song of the Ovulum is Book 1 in the Children of the Bard series, and there will be three more to come. I highly recommend this book. If you've never read these books, I would personally recommend that you start with reading series 1 book 1 which is Dragons in our Midst: Raising Dragons. Because the journey is so much more sweeter when you get to Song of the Ovulum as well as you get to know the characters and their pasts. I've heard you can read Song of the Ovulum without reading any of the other books and still follow the story, but I'm a fan that has read all of the previous books, and it is so much more rewarding. Because their is so much in these stories, and they all deserve to be read, and every story builds leads the characters to the events of Children of the Bard. A must read adventure, and you don't want to miss it.
on July 10, 2011
This book is just amazing. Masterfully written, engaging! I was saddened when I realized I was already done. I'm looking forward to the next book, as Mr. D. is a great author and a wonderful man. Thanks for being a great friend and writing so many wonderful books, Mr. D.!
on June 28, 2012
Song of the Ovulum is the first book in Bryan Davis's new fantasy series, Children of the Bard, which is a continuation of the story world established by his previous works the Dragon's in our Midst series and Oracles of Fire series. If you haven't read Dragon's in our Midst and Oracles of Fire, I highly recommend you do so in order to fully enjoy this addition.

Now on to my thoughts about Song of the Ovulum ...

Bryan Davis is one of my top favorite authors. Why? Because he writes the most unique stories I've ever read--period. All of Davis' books contain a creative, allegorical take on Biblical figures and events, unheard-of fantasy elements like anthrozils (human/dragon hybrids), and multifaceted plots that go beyond imagination.

This latest adventure, Song of the Ovulum, is no exception. It has Davis' signature blend of heart-stopping action and heart-stirring emotion. All the characters that I love from the two previous series are back. Plus, there are great new characters to meet like Billy & Bonnie's kids, and Listeners Joran and Selah. I was especially moved by Joran as he struggled to forgive the woman who murdered his sister. Through his journey Joran learns that if you keep holding tightly to bitterness, you will find that you are strangling yourself.

Such priceless words of wisdom are another reason why this story is a must read. If you're looking for a book unlike anything you've ever read before, check out Bryan Davis and Song of the Ovulum.
on July 9, 2011
Of course, you can't go wrong with Bryan Davis. If you haven't read the other eight books of Dragons in our Midst and Oracles of Fire, I would highly suggest reading them first, especially if you were planning on reading them anyway. It makes Song of the Ovulum much sweeter, more suspenseful, and just on the whole a lot better. However, there is a summary of the books in the back of Song of the Ovulum. Again, I would still urge you to read the other books first to be come familiar with the characters.
This book is extremely exciting because it brings back all the old characters from the other books and has them interact with the new ones. I believe this book is one of Davis's most suspenseful. Most of it takes place in our world now, though in the future some years. However, Bonnie and Lauren have dreams about the children of Methuselah, so some of the book takes place in the past, starting with right before the Flood.
I was very thrilled with this book, constantly on the edge of my seat, and unable to put it down. If you've read the other books, don't miss out on this amazing book! Even if you haven't, it's still great. It does end with a mystery, not too much of a cliffhanger though, and I can't wait for the next one!

-Elisabeth =)
on July 21, 2011
I just finished Song of the Ovulum, and I cannot wait to read the next installment in the Children of the Bard series! I was fascinated by all the tie-ins to the old books, and I loved experiencing the thrill of recognition as old friends reappeared and unknown stories revealed answers to old questions. Going through a hard time at the moment, the songs of mercy each character sang really helped me move from hatred and bitterness into forgiveness and mercy. I cannot wait to hear my own mercy song and write the words that shine the twofold hues of mercy. Thank you, Mr. Davis, for your spectacular writing and for being obedient to the tunes that God has sown into your soul. I will be keeping an eye out for the next book for a long time!