Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Format: Audio CDChange

on January 13, 2006
I'm sitting here tonight reading all the reviews for her CD on Amazon and let me tell you, (yes...once again,) that they are all true. Lots of folks have decided to write their first experience upon hearing Eva for the first time. Well here is mine.

I'm a HUGE heavy metal and hard rock fan. I have listened to everything from Black Sabbath to Deicide. One day, I decided to find a cover of "Over The Rainbow" by a guitar player called Chris Impellittari on a file sharing program. Well, after finding nearly two dozen covers by as many artists, Eva's version came up as well. Since my twin sons LOVED Wizard of Oz...I downloaded several versions from different artists to see which they'd like best burnt on a CD. As fate would have it...I heard Eva's version...and I'm now a changed man because of it.

I have always had a soft side for female vocals. I have Enya CDs' along with The Cranberries etc. etc...but this was something totally different. Eva's voice...that sweet, lifting voice, was all it took for me to buy this CD. I have cried more tears listening to this CD than any other in my life. How is it possible that a MAN..who's into screaming guitars and screaming singers can literally CRY over a woman's voice? I can't answer that...but I think that there is something really DEEP in most of us, that gets touched by angelic voices that make us turn into melted heaps of sobbing flesh.

I simply do NOT understand those people that have reviewed her music and give it anything less than 4 stars. And for the people that give it just really, REALLY have to wonder what lobe of their brain has been damaged for them not to appreciate something so beautiful and pure.

If you ride a Harley, drink beer on Sunday, and think that women are emotional yourself a favor. Buy this CD, play it when everyone's out, and enjoy it with a box of Kleenex.
on June 8, 2003
When I saw the special on ABC's "Nightline" about Eva Cassidy, I was going through some terrible times in my life. I stopped everything I was doing that evening, transfixed to the television and to the story of a woman who is only being discovered after her death to cancer. Her voice touched me in ways I cannot describe. She is an angel among us. I bought "Songbird" when it first came out in the United States. Never had I been touched by music until I heard her rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." My tough times didn't seem so tough after listening to her sing.
VINE VOICEon July 14, 2001
I usually review piano and keyboard CDs, but this album is so good and is making such a stir that I decided to throw in my two cents. One of my adult piano students gave me this CD for my birthday, and I had never heard of Eva Cassidy, so I was a little skeptical. Just goes to show that there are still new wonders to discover! Compiled from three previously-released albums, "Songbird" clearly indicates the many facets of Cassidy's voice and the incredibly natural way she was able to use it to convey such depth of emotion. From standards ("Autumn Leaves", "Over the Rainbow") to gospel ("Wade in the Water", "Wayfaring Stranger", "Oh, Had I A Golden Thread"), rock ("Fields of Gold", "Songbird", "People Get Ready"), and gorgeous ballads ("I Know You By Heart", "Time is a Healer"), she slips effortlessly from one genre to another with a voice as pure and honest as a Judy Collins or a Joan Baez. On the gospel and R&B songs, she gets down with the best of `em! Could this really be a slender, painfully shy, white girl? And then she goes on to a simple ballad and her guitar, and the sweet-voiced folkie returns. The backing instrumentation (usually bass, guitar, and drums) is simple and fully enhances the vocals. It is such a tragedy that Eva Cassidy's life was cut short at the age of 33, but God bless Chris Biondo for recording her singing whenever he could so that her gift and talent can live on and grace us all.
on August 20, 2000
Most musicians go through periods where they produce music of sublime beauty but then go on, get older and never live up to that golden age. Then there are a few who flitter briefly upon the musical stage and are taken from us before they can sully their reputation - Eva Cassidy falls into the latter category. Like Janis Joplin and Kurt Cobain, she produced a few albums then was taken from the world at the young age of 33.
This album showcases her three albums - a 'best of' if you like and one which deserves to be amongst the classics. Her striking voice wraps itself around the songs on this album, taking them to places hitherto undiscovered. Sting must surely believe his "Fields of Gold" was written for Eva while anyone who has suffered through Judy Garland's "Over The Rainbow" while be brought back to this wonderful song which she invests with a soulful hope and joy. "Autumn Leaves" is another highlight, wafting in a golden glaze with a voice which gives you goosebumps.
This is one album that doesn't leave my CD player for long and I only hope that others discover with unfettered delight the treasure trove that lies within.
on August 13, 2000
A few months ago, my stereo dealer let me listen to something new...something that froze me to my chair. Autumn Leaves absolutely stunned me. Wiping away the tears, I asked who this amazing singer was, only to be told that she was a local artist who had died three years ago. Thus began a love affair with a singer who has rendered the rest of my CD collection obsolete...she is that good. I have all of her albums, but Songbird is my favorite--how else to listen to Autumn Leaves, Over the Rainbow, and Songbird without changing the CD?
I have very little to add to the other reviews of this exraordinary album, other than to say that I really spend most of listening time with Eva, and I continue to be amazed at how each time I listen I hear something new....her voice comes from some unfathomable place, so deep that it continues to yield surprises, even on the umpteenth hundred listen.
I buy her CDs all the time and just keep them around, so my friends who hear her for the first time won't have to go shopping. Just yesterday, a friend heard Over the Rainbow for the first time, and immmediately reached for his wallet...that's how it is with Eva Cassidy, perhaps the greatest singer of our time.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2006
WARNING: Each song Eva Cassidy sings is like a tiny bottle of nitroglycerin; it seems innocuous at first, but let it out of the bottle and it will utterly devastate you.

Let me be clear: I don't enjoy female "pop" singers. Give me the soulful blues guitar of Stevie Ray Vaughan over the shallow vocal histrionics of Whitney Houston any day. And that still stands, because I don't "enjoy" Eva Cassidy either---

Why? Because Eva Cassidy is far beyond the level of enjoyment. She does something to me that is rare and magical and religious and painful and mystical. She touches that spot inside me that still remembers what Heaven was like---and makes me conscious of the fact that I'm not there now. She makes me miss home with a longing that is almost unbearable. She reaches right into me and rips me apart, cuts through to what is real and exposes me to the painful truth of love and mortality. She reminds me of who I truly am.

I can only listen to a single song at a time--because after that, I'm done for the day.

Don't fool around with this unless you're prepared for the consequences.

I'm not kidding.

You have been warned.
VINE VOICEon July 25, 2001
By now most everyone who has heard of Eva Cassidy knows that she was an incredibly gifted young singer who died in 1996. She was practically unknown outside of Washington DC, but now all that has changed. "Songbird" is a compilation of sorts from three of her other releases and serves as an outstanding introduction to Eva's talent. Eva Cassidy didn't write any of these songs, not one. But the power, feeling, and emotion behind every one of them makes you think she wrote them from the depths of her heart. She sang them as if they were hers. I don't know of any singer that I have heard in the past 20 years that sounds so comfortable in so many genres - pop, soul, gospel, standards...Every song is a treasure, but "Over the Rainbow" is simply the most wonderful song on the album, both delicate and powerful. I challenge anyone to listen to this CD and then listen to anything on today's Top 40. The difference is laughable. Eva Cassidy was a real artist. If you don't know her music, you owe it to yourself to make the discovery.
on July 13, 2000
A rare combination of musicianship, vocal power and let-'er-rip emotion from a person you never heard of and whose name you'll never see in lights at a big concert venue. My advice, play the first track (Fields of Gold) and the last track (Over the Rainbow). I've never heard any other rendition of Fields of Gold, but I don't want to. "Rainbow" is Judy Garland's tune. I've heard it as a young woman's innocent lament in "Oz" and I've heard it as a middle-aged woman's regret in Judy's "Carnegie Hall Concert" recorded at the end of her career with her voice showing the effects of too much drink and too many cigarettes. But Eva has deconstructed the song and re-assembled it into something that is transcendant. If you're not about to lose it emotionally by the time this song reaches its coda, your heart is made of stone. She's that good. The best of the other cuts are those with a similarly simple arrangement. The star here is Eva; and she shines brightest with minimal accompaniment. There's no doubt that she can sing Gospel with the best, but somehow those tunes don't move me. Maybe it's because she's pulling her sidemen along and, frankly, outclassing them. Or maybe its because she's as good as -- but not better than -- Roberta Flack doing the same kind of material. But, for me, "Fields" "Autumn Leaves" "Heart" "Songbird" and, of course "Rainbow" are just beyond compare. I suppose its because Eva was unafraid to let the full strength of her emotion flow through her delivery of these songs and she had the musical and vocal tools to convey that power.
on April 26, 2001
I had never heard of Eva Cassidy until I received a package from my brother in the mail. It contained Songbird and Live at Blues Alley. I was stunned by both. Eva's interpretations of these songs grabbed me from the start and didn't let go. This is particularly impressive given the wide range of musical styles she covers.
When I read the liner notes and learned of her backgraound, and of the fact that she was taken too early, I was saddened and couldn't help but feel that I had missed something special.
As other reviewers here have stated, her voice is totally different than anything you've ever heard, yet it is also very familiar. At times I was reminded of Dusty Springfield's Dusty in Memphis, which is rather amazing company.
Don't be alarmed by the fact that I only gave this disk four stars. I rarely give five stars -- I feel to receive that they need to have changed the course of music (at least to some extent). I'm not sure if this album will do that. But it will provide you with many hours of enjoyment. Buy it. Then buy a copy for someone you know who loves music. As I said, my brother gave it to me and I think of him every time I listen to it.
on July 1, 2001
This release is a compilation of some of Eva's best and most popular recordings, including her incredible rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." If you have all of her CDs as I do, and you can only take one along, you grab this one. This talented (understatement) singer's range is phenomenal. And the purity and beauty of her voice touches your very heart and soul.