5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE
Published on November 21, 2011 by T K

2.0 out of 5 stars sigh
I hate to have to do this, but I honestly hate this album. I'm a die hard Soundgarden fan and adore Chris cornells voice, but everything about this album seems half assed. Chris Cornell sounds scratchy and tired, like he doesnt care. Plus there's a fade out between tracks that takes away from the experience. Not a fan of this one. Just my honest opinion.
Published 8 months ago by joebaker

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST HAVE, November 21, 2011
T K (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
Chris Cornell absolutely is one of the greatest vocalists of all time. Before Songbook tour, he had been constantly criticized for his unstable vocal performances. I believe that the critics were somewhat right for the Audioslave era in which Chris also admitted that he had problems with alcohol and smoking that could have affected his vocal ability during that time. But man... The Old Chris is back. I watched one of the tours last May in Seattle, and his vocal performance was a way beyond my expectation. After seeing his concert, I also have been watching his Songbook tour videos on Youtube and I have to say that he sounded so good throughout the tour. To me, he sounds even better than how he sounded when he was in Soundgarden in the early 90s. The voice is more mature and powerful than ever before. What surprises me is that his vocal performance was so stable throughout the entire tour despite that he had to perform without much gap between tour dates. Having just one or two days off after performing more than two hours for three or four days in a row, and then performing again, on and on, for a few months is not an easy thing for any musician. Although this may not be much of a problem for many singers whose songs do not require much of vocal range, this is not the case for Chris, as many of his songs are above high C. Also, we all know many vocalists, even those who are considered the greatest of all time, could not maintain their quality of voice when they turned about age of 40. Chris is almost 50 now...! He deserves much respect for keeping his singing ability.

As you may hear from the tracks, he does not have any problem with hitting right pitch. "Call Me A Dog", for example, goes up around high E or F, but he sounds just fine hitting that note. Now if you think about it, what kind of musicians nowadays can hit that note with power, timbre and soul like Chris's while playing a guitar at the same time? Not just this, but also, without losing voice after performing for more than two hours for three or four days in a row? I certainly can't think of anyone. Of course, vocal range and power are not the only factors that define a good singer, but they certainly indicate the singer's vocal ability. I am so glad to see that Chris gained his master vocal ability back, and I strongly hope he does more tour like Songbook in the future.

A tiny little complain I have about this album is that I wish they made it into two CDs because there are so many songs from the tour that could have been included, such as "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Preaching the End of the World", "Billie Jean", "Getaway Car","Redemption Song", and especially "When I'm Down".

Anyway, just one unofficial acoustic album- Unplugged In Sweden - was not adequate for a great acoustic live performer like Chris; fans certainly want more. This Songbook album is a must have for all those who thirst for 'that vocal performance'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Cornell's Good, Bad and Beautiful.........., November 26, 2011
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
Just a quick review of the best CD I've purchased in several years:

The Good:
1.) His voice is as absolutely spectacular as it's ever been and makes an obvious choice for an acoustic record, where he can and does show it off. He shimmers throughout.........

The Bad:
2.) Well, as hardcore fans we always have a couple suggestions on song selection, right? Like we've seen on youtube he did several other tunes on this tour I would have loved to see on this collection: "When I'm Down", "Like Suicide", "Seasons" and the online medley masterpiece, which includes "Man of Golden Words", "Comfortably Numb" and "Say Hello to Heaven"..........

The Beautiful:
Man, in my opinion he sits atop the lead vox mountain as the greatest vocalist over the last 20 some odd years, hands down. Throw 10 bucks down on these 18 songs, grab it and rush it around town shouting to your friends and relatives "You gotta hear this!! Take it home, listen to it several dozen times like I have while youtubing the couple nuggets left off..........

The Suggestion:
Chris and crew, follow this bad boy up with a "Live" Acoustic Songbook DVD, please!!!

The Funny Story: I bought this at the nearest location of one of the massive media chains in the country, you know the one I mean. Employee comes up to me to ask what I'm looking for. I said the new "Chris Cornell" to which he replied, "Is he a classical composer or a jazz artist?". No joke!! I said "You know, the former lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave", in which a blank stare appeared from the employee. Apparently they don't offer the Rock 101 training course at this chain. Told him it'd be easy to find if he'd just point me to the "Has Talent" section as it'd be the only CD there!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Cornell raw!, November 21, 2011
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
Songbook is the new live acoustic album from Chris Cornell showcasing his awesome vocals and songwriting ability as performed along his very successful recent solo tour. Chris Cornell is a true survivor of rock having had success with Soundgarden, Audioslave, and three solo albums prior to this amazing collection of acoustic tunes. There was a little taste of what this album contains with the hidden track at the end of his previous solo album but Songbook is definitely what fans of this iconic voice wanted to hear. Highlights include the amazing Temple Of The Dog classic "Call Me A Dog", the brilliant version of the Audioslave track "I Am The Highway", the dark sound of Soundgarden's classic track "Fell On Black Days", and the memorable melodies of the Audioslave hit "Like A Stone". It is amazing how he can turn relatively simple chord progressions into memorable songs with his powerful voice and interesting lyrics. I saw Chris Cornell perform these songs at The Sydney Opera House recently and I can tell you it was a stunning show and Songbook is a great memento of his tour. What more can be said about Chris Cornell and his decision to please his fans with a gift like this - essential listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Chris Cornell, November 22, 2011
Alex One "Alex" (Sunnyvale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
I have been listening to Chris Cornell for years and I have watch his evolution from brilliant singer/songwriter to one of the finest singer/songwriters of our generation. This collection of live acoustic tracks gives me exactly what I want: Chris, a guitar, and his soulful voice. This is one of the best live albums that I have ever heard my entire life. You can feel it inside of you when Cornell sings. We respond to the pain, the contemplation, and above the truth in the words that he preaches to us with incredible voice. Thank you Chris Cornell for giving this gift to your fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, January 24, 2012
David (Bronx, New York, United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best if not the best album I have ever listened to. Chris Cornell's voice is strong and haunting. Every song on the album is great. The songs are beautiful and emotional. I highly recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Cornell is a bonafide Rock God ..., November 21, 2011
I was lucky enough to see Chris Cornell on the tour for this album at the Sixth & I Historic Synagogue in Washington DC and it was one of the greatist shows I have ever seen. Let me just say that I do not love all of Chris' solo stuff, but there is no denying the AMAZING voice he has rock icon that he is. Seeing him while sitting in pews in a old church only enhanced that effect. He was amazing and this CD represents the performance very well. Dont hesitate if you like Chris at all ... this is an AMAZING album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gran cantante, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
Este gran cantante que nos deleitara con Soundgarden y Audioslave ahora lo hace en solitario y unplugged, estupenda voz y uno de los mejores cantantes de rock que existan, grande Cornell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dat voice doe, January 22, 2014
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
This is the best I have ever heard Chris sound. If you love Chris, this is a must-have album. If you like "that one song he did with the guy from Pearl Jam," this is a must-have album. Even if you are hearing-impaired, this is a must-have album.

5.0 out of 5 stars 16 acoustic gems., June 14, 2012
This review is from: Songbook (Audio CD)
I've been a Soundgarden and Audioslave fan for many years. But, for whatever reason, I'd never gotten around to purchasing any of Chris Cornell's solo music. Not really sure why, just never did.

Well, the other day, while flipping through the options on XM, I stumbled upon Cornell's live acoustic version of "Like a Stone". I was floored. It literally stopped me in my tracks and gave me chills. (It's been a LONG time since that has happened... maybe Jeff Buckley, back when "Grace" was released....?)

Needless to say, I immediately purchased the "Songbook" CD, and I have to tell you: EVERY single song on it is amazing. He covers Led Zeppelin's "Thank You" with such emotion; really intensely beautiful. And "Doesn't Remind Me"... a simple little melody... but, as with all his music, his haunting voice gives it such depth.

I always loved his voice when he was with Soundgarden and Audioslave... but on this CD, his profound talent goes to a WHOLE new level. His voice is powerful, gentle and soulful, all at the same time. I just can't get ENOUGH of his music, and find myself wishing "Songbook" was a double CD.

I'm hoping a live concert DVD will be released next.
AND I'm ALSO hoping he'll come back to play Atlanta again soon.
I'll be there.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like Soundgarden by I do LOVE this!!!, April 4, 2012
Oh my freakin' god! This man can sing! I am not a fan of most 90's grunge music but I listened to this and was floored by the pure emotion coming through in Chris' voice, not encumbered by a wall of distorted guitars. Just skip to his cover of "Thank You" by Led Zep. It's pretty darn amazing stuff.

Songbook
Songbook by Chris Cornell (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies