Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Songhai 2
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

71%
29%
Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 21, 2001
I know nothing about flamenco music or Spanish guitarists, but I got this recording because I dig the Malian musicians on it. The vibe they create with their Iberian compadres is truly something to listen to. The songs run the gamut from the soothing strains of "Pozo del Deseo" to snappy numbers like "Su te mone bo." Songhai's first recording is just as good, though it seems not to be available here. Fans of Malian music--particularly the ubiquitous kora player Toumani Diabate--will no doubt admire this striking and unusual collaboration.
on February 11, 2004
I also found this as a cassette, in a "99-cent" store, of all places, alongside cheesy oriental imports and a variety of low-quality goods. I was familiar with Ketama, so I snatched it up, thinking I might have a pretty cool find on my hands. I had no idea this would become one of my favorite albums. I have since purchased the first Songhai album, but the second is superior, in my opinion. I have owned it for about 8 years, now, and although the cassette itself is wearing out, the music itself seems to get even better.
on June 27, 2001
I found this album as a tape in a 99 cent bin cause it sounded interesting...and boy did I hit the jackpot! Its easily one of the most beautiful albums I've ever heard. The song pozo del deseo is just magical. The album has both african and spanish sounding parts to which combine very well. I went out and bought the other album after listening to this, and its great too.
on July 14, 1998
Ketama are in the best New Flamenco frontier.As a flamenco lover, I must say this boys represent where flamenco will evolve to. Being terribly respectful with their ancestors (all their families are flamenco artists), the mix of African percussions, counterpoint voices, etc. really open a whole new world in the marvellous flamenco one. Powerfull, wonderful, passionate. As a Spaniard, this is what flows in my veins.
on September 30, 2000
Ketama's Songai series is awesome. I've been following these guys since 1992 or so. Theirs is some of the hottest flamenco around; Songai 2 takes them back to Africa for some wonderful Afro-Spanish rhythms. Oh, to be Spanish..!
on August 20, 2009
A Balafon playing in a middle of a Flamenco track? Oh yes.

Super Fast guitars that jump 3 minutes into a Malian Kora based track? They are here also.

My point is that there is no book, list of albums, etc. that the musicians on this album had as reference to make it. They had to use their musical experience to try to figure out exactly what would work. The good news is that they did put a pretty good job. But still sometimes the contrast between the Spanish and the Malian is impossible to hide.

While it is true that the Malians on their own often use Latin music to augment their traditions, their use is, like many other Africans, dominated by the sounds of Salsa, not Flamenco. While Rumba Flamenco also uses some sounds from Salsa, those shared sounds from Salsa specifically are not emphasized in this production.
on January 1, 2011
Songhai 2 Selected this world music gem due to another Amazon customer's recommendation, and the used CD arrived in perfect condition VERY quickly. I give the seller the highest recommendation, and the CD is terrific too.