5.0 out of 5 stars Song Standards
Whatever you want to say about the ubiquitous George Michael, you can't brand him as lacking in the confidence department. It somehow isn't surprising that he would take it upon himself to capture the legacy of the past hundred years on SONGS FROM THE LAST CENTURY. What is surprising are the unique choices--this isn't a standard set of standards. George has managed to...
Published on September 1, 2001 by J. M. Zuurbier

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag
Although I love some of the tracks on this CD I cannot help but be a bit disappointed with others. Ever since George Michael's sexy rendition of 'Kissing a Fool' I've been looking out for a whole album of similar songs and I guess this is it ... well sort of.
Favourites on this album are Roxanne, You've Changed, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and Secret Love...
Published on March 16, 2000 by John

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable - Unexpected - Go George, February 18, 2000
I've always enjoyed this man as an artist. When I read some of the reviews I thought this sounds interesting - mellow, jazzy, old classics and frankly I would've bought it anyway. Listen once, then twice. The third time your convinced this evolution is a natural for his talents. I can't wait for more. First Time Ever I Saw Your Face competes handsomely with Roberta Flack's version. Play this alone or in a random mix with Diana Krall and your relaxing with some great music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Ever!, January 21, 2000
John Primeau (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
George Michael's, "Songs from the Last Century", is his best work to date. Each song on this incredible CD is shared so intimately with the listener, that it's as though this amazing artist is whispering in your ear. Especially beautiful are "The First Time" and "Wild is the Wind." If you're not touched by George Michael's music in this CD, then I doubt that very little touches you in life.

2.0 out of 5 stars So close...But..., December 28, 1999
By A Customer
George has missed the mark, on what could have been a wonderful album. It's a marvelous idea for Michael to record an album of standards, however, it's now painfully clear that a vocal arranger should have been called in to assist. As things are, George sings every track on the album in his "Careless Whisper" mode. His lightly, breathless style simply clashes with the majority of the material. He does sing the melodies, but adds not a trace of lyrical interpretation. One wonders what George himself hears, when he listens to recordings by the great singers such as Holiday and Sinatra? Is he unable to hear the way they delve so much deeper into their material, than simply singing the melody? My impression of George Micheal is that he is a talented and intelligent man. Althought he came out of the closet as a gay man due to a negative circumstance, I respect him for at least being truthful from that point forward. I want to like him as a recording artist. And this album comes so close to being very good...but...The orchestration on the album is beautiful, perhaps a little sterile, but very "real"...He has used a large string section instead of fake synthesizer strings, as can be faulted on many current recordings. If only George could stop singing as if he were an 18 year old pop star, I think this album could have been very special.

5.0 out of 5 stars smooth & silky, December 22, 1999
I've waited for years to hear this man share his voice with this kind of mood. Soft, easy, melodious. It sets a mood for love. His voice is like silk running over your body leaving you warm, contented, and feeling just a little nostalgic. A true talent. More or less one overall mood. A perfect CD to put in a mix of music for that overall balance of style, and a perfect cd when you just want that quiet peace. A voice made by angels.
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars GRand Change for him, and fantastic songs, January 6, 2000
By A Customer
GM has overcome the problems in his life, and freed a voice that is fantasic.
The Frist Time I Ever Saw Your Face (#5) is Angelic.
If you disliked his previous recordings you may love this one, this guy has a VOICE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Editorial Review is way off the mark., March 4, 2005
If you are like me and you are sick and tired of people with little or NO talent bringing out music that could have been written or sung by just about anyone, and you, like me appreciate someone that can actually SING, then this album is for you.

George Michael has undoubtadly THE best voice around,some of the songs on here may not be familiar to you as some of them werent to me but when someone so gifted sings this stuff you can appreciate the songs for what they are, timeless classics.

Dont pay attention to the rather small minded people who have gone out of their way to post a negative review,no doubt fuelled by a dislike to George Michaels sexuality,if someone is a good singer they are a good singer regardless of what they do in bed and with whom, and George isnt just a good singer he is a GREAT singer.

My fav is "Secret Love" its big and brassy and WOW ...THAT VOICE,its safe to say his tongue was planted firmly in his cheek when he decided to cover this track but it works...eat your heart out Robbie Williams

Give it a try. Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars don't believe them, it shines as a "snapshot"!, March 2, 2005
First, you have to know he was required to deliver product to get out of his Dreamworks contract. Second- he was in very poor mental health at the time, dealing with delayed depression from many personal issues (not least the "incident"). Third-he is a man of integrity who gave all he had to give at the moment (his voice, and it's a damn good, if not great, one!). These songs shine as classics and George liked them enough to give them a shot for the ages; do you really think he was aiming for instant success here? I personally don't check for Mr. Ramone's touch on recordings, he's a bit too stodgy for my taste (Dusty's "Look of Love" the only exception, truly a monumental great recording!), but witness the spontaneous musicality of this effort... Twenty years time will tell us how good this really is, for now it's engaging enough and just a little challenging. George's sense of humour shines through evey bar of "Secret Love"! Much like Sinead's "Am I Not Your Girl", this one will gain polish with time (I hated that one when it came out, and now consider it a brilliant work!). When he wasn't creating the Mona Lisa, Mr. Da Vinci was often sketching. Even his doodles were Da Vinci originals. I'm sure there were fools who tossed Da Vinci sketches into the fire to keep warm for a second. The ones that remain are priceless. Think about it...

Like I said, consider it a musical snapshot and you're on the right track!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever, February 28, 2001
By A Customer
I've always found George's voice to be hypnotic and emotionally moving, and this CD has those qualities above and beyond any of his previous work, with the exception of "Jesus to a Child." I was skeptical about purchasing this one, since I was unfamiliar with most of the songs, but I took the risk and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I've never cared for "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," but George manages to convey a tenderness and depth of emotion that is soul-shattering. "Wild is the Wind" is my absolute favorite, possibly of all of his songs. It's very sensual and intimate, like a lover whispering in one's ear. This CD is an incredible emotional experience, and George's vocals are much more prevalent and impressive than in his previous work. A must-have for any fan! I hope George continues to pursue his own musical inclinations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, January 18, 2001
Songs From The Last Century is a breath of heaven. George sings these standards so well. His voice is so beautiful, it expresses a lot of emotion. Some highlights include Brother Can You Spare A Dime, Roxanne, Secret Love (the fanfare!) Wild Is the Wind, Miss Sarajevo, but the standout is the classic The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. Breathtaking. This is a must for fans of music, its a collection you will never forget.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great, Different Performance, May 25, 2000
One thing I don't understand is why this album got so many bad reviews from professional sites and specialized magazines. In my humble personal opinion, this is possibly George Michael's best album so far, and I'll tell you why.
We all know that the media expected George Michael to disappear after his much-publicized arrest in Hollywood, but turns out he used it for the better. He released a greatest hits compilation with some new tracks, plus an outrageous video in which he mocked his unfortunate experience and also suffered a lawsuit from the officer that arrested him(the charge was later dismissed). What else had he to do?
Well, I believe he has surprised us all. In this compilation of covers, he and producer Phil Ramone (famed for his works with, for example, Frank Sinatra and Pavarotti) came up with an album of incredible taste which will please not only his dance floor fans but people like me who never really noticed Michael's existence until his famed appearance in the Freddie Mercury Tribute in 1992.
Now for the goodies: The most memorable tracks in the CD are, undoubtedly, "My Baby Just Cares for Me", a 50s hit in the voice of Nina Simone. He gave it a very good treatment and updated some of the some of the verses ".. .not even Ricky Martin's smile", making it sound just like if it had been played at the time of its composition. Beautiful also is Ewan McCall's "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face" and The Police's "Roxanne", in which Sting's reggae is transformed into a wonderful jazzy piece.
I guess the only minus side of the CD is the fact that it only has 10 tracks (eleven if you count the hidden instrumental track, "It's Alright With Me ". Perhaps George would like to come up with a follow-up. Suggestion: "I Loves You Porgy", by Gershwin, wonderfully performed by so many singers, such as Ella Fitzgerald, Nina Simone....

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›