‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Keith's Last and Best Album, A Classic and a Keeper!, December 29, 2006
Mir (North Miami Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Songs for the Shepherd (Audio CD)
I cannot tell you how many tears I've shed listening to these songs and how many prayers I've sent up in response to these lyrics. I can tell you that if you love the Lord, this album should be part of your collection--if you can find it. I still have my original LP, the music book, and the songs in various Keith collections.

There isn't a dud on here, but the ones that shine the most for me include his rendition of the 23rd psalm (still my fav of all versions of this most beloved of psalms). A friend of mine from my previous church, the pianist/music teacher, used to play this when we got together for fellowship, her on piano and me singing, and it's still just the most beautiful adaptation in popular music of "The Lord Is My Shepherd." Keith's vocals are full of emotion and true spiritual fervor and faith. Astonishing.

Another favorite is "How Majestic Is Your Name" (Psalm 8), a song I occasionally sing a capella when moved by the night sky or a sunset or some other wonder of nature. "When I consider the heavens, the work of they fingers..." Keith's sense of wonder at God shines through this semi-meditative but passionate song.

On the darker, heavier side, you get a "spiritual" called "Oh God, our Lord" which is great to sing, but not an easy subject to digest with lyrics such as:

"Who you gonna throw in the lake of fire, O God our Lord?

Who you gonna throw when the flames get higher, O God our Lord?

The Devil and the man with the dark desire, O God our Lord."

Keith really gets into it, his voice low and heavy at times, high and full of pain at others.

Another deep, difficult song describes those times when we feel in need of assistance and we can only cry to God out of our frustration and helplessness:

"My flesh is tired of seeking God,

But on my knees I'll stay.

I want to be a pleasing child,

Until that final day.

My mind is full of many thoughts

That clutter and confuse.

But standing firm, I will prevail,

In faith that I'll be used.

Amen! I'm asking once again.

Won't you help me my friend, Lord Jesus."

Keith's voice is beautiful in those lines of pleading.."won't you help me, my friend, Lord Jesus."

"There Is A Redeemer" is a simple melody, simple earnest lyrics, and is so "singable" that it has earned a place in hymnals and worship services across the land. "There is a Redeemer, Jesus, God's own son. Blessed Lamb of God...Messiah! Holy One. Thank you, oh, my Father, for giving us your Son and leaving Your Spirit till your work on Earth is done." It's a basic expression of gratitude and worship and it holds up.

"Jesus is Lord of All" and "You Are The One" and "The Promise Song" are peppy and bouncy and full of joy and affirmation of truth. From the last of those we get this:

"Oh if you keep My word,

I'll make you as a tree,

Planted by the streams of life,

If you'll submit to me.

And if you love the hateful ones,

Who mistreat you constantly,

The book of life shall bear your name,

If you love your enemies."

"Glory Lord Jesus" is effervescent and energetic and will have you with your hands up in the air.

Like his version of Psalm 23, Keith's version of "Holy, Holy, Holy" is part of the reason why that is among my most favorite of all classic hymns. I never tire of it.

Those are most of the songs, and I think you will find pleasure and an encouragement to worship here. These are truly "Songs for the Shepherd" that all the sheep can treasure. Keith's earnest and passionate vocals, his skill on the piano, and the evident faith that colors all his songs shine decades after he got called home.

Mir of Mirathon blog

5.0 out of 5 stars Passionate Faith Is Contagious, November 1, 2005
D. MILLS (Manassas, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Songs for the Shepherd (Audio CD)
Keith Green had a passionate love for Jesus. This is evident in his life as well as in his music. He didn't preach Jesus at concerts sponsored by beer companies. He didn't get divorced and remarried. He didn't live a life of luxury off of his royalties while billions starved. He was the real deal. He was a real Christian.

Much of his music consists of love songs to God, and listening to this music Keith's love for Jesus encourages me. Hearing the tender serenades of a true lover of Jesus fans the flame of the listener's own passion. It's contagious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fave!, August 5, 2010
This review is from: Songs For the Shepherd (MP3 Music)
I bought this in LP form when it was brand new, recorded it onto a cassette so I could play it in my car, listened, and listened, and listened. I have so missed listening to this (no longer have a turn-table) that I've finally reordered it on CD. YAY!! Can't wait to play it, and play it, and play it. No one, absolutely no one wears his heart for God on his sleeve like Keith Green! I can't wait to meet him in heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anointed!, January 29, 2009
Tlexie (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
I love the songs on this album and how Keith once again focuses all on the Good Shepherd, our Lord Jesus. The songs are timeless, the anointing is fresh even after all the years since they were written. I think that's a sure sign of anointing is to see the fruit remain.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is album is absolutely Blessed!, July 21, 2013
This review is from: Songs for the Shepherd (Audio CD)
As soon as it reached me, I played and listened to it and I had a flashback moment to the eighties when I heard it and when I saw him in concert just before his death. I wept but smiled because I was soo blessed by the music and I hope you are encourage to get this as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars His last album is focused on Praise, January 9, 2012
J. Bynum (the southwest) - See all my reviews
Keith Green / Songs for the Shepherd: His previous albums were more focused on encouragement and correction towards the Church. This, his last, is focused on Praise. This one is still not as great as his first album, but it is a strong enough Praise album to earn Five Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Went over and above in meeting expectations!, March 31, 2009
Michelle Toste (Whidbey Island, WA) - See all my reviews
The product (tape) arrived quickly, and in excellent condition. Seller also included some bonus tapes which were a nice touch. I appreciate the great service, and the generosity of the extra tapes. Would like to buy from this seller again!

5.0 out of 5 stars songs for the shsephers, April 7, 2014
This review is from: Songs for the Shepherd (Audio CD)
i love this cd i had a cassette so had to get a cd the songs have so much
meaning and i think of the children that were lost. love it

5.0 out of 5 stars pure, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Songs For the Shepherd (MP3 Music)
Pure praise to throne room. He had a unique style all his own. He was taken in death to soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this CD!, February 15, 2014
This review is from: Songs for the Shepherd (Audio CD)
I have always loved Keith Green's music and hadn't heard it in over 30 years. I was thrilled to find it available on Amazon. It's a beautiful and spiritual CD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Songs for the Shepherd
Songs for the Shepherd by Keith Green (Audio CD)