Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sonic Alert Loud Dual Alarm Clock SB200ss with Vibrating Shaker
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 16, 2005
Though this alarm is targeted toward the hearing impared, I bought it simply because I'm an extremely heavy sleeper, and most alarms simply don't wake me up. Even when I'd buy a new, louder alarm, I'd quickly get used to the sound and be able to ignore it. But this alarm phisically vibrates the bed, something that my body doesn't seem to be able to just get used to. This alarm has yet to fail to wake me up, and I've not yet had to use the excessively loud audio alarm. Great wake up-only clock, though it doens't have a radio. Nice large display, too.
on November 11, 2006
This clock could wake the dead!!! The husband has not over slept once since getting this for him. However, it is too bad that it doesn't have dual alarms because, I too, am a notorious DEEP sleeper. I am going to have to buy another for my side of the bed. I do wish the base of it was bigger, it tips over pretty easy and that is kind of annoying. I will deal with the little base as long as this thing keeps me from being late one more time.
on September 4, 2006
Really loud alarm, works for me. But the battery only keeps the clock running. So if a power surge or blackout happened at midnight, you are pretty much screwed unless you can wakeup by yourself.
on October 31, 2007
My hearing has been deteriorating for years, and all of the alarm clocks I've head over the past ten years have the same problem: they're not *loud* enough. On top of that, even if they are, I get used to the sound (and radio alarm clocks don't work for me, either, because music or people talking - or the static of an off-air channel - simply do not wake me up.) and sleep right through it.

This little gem, though? Awesome! The alarm can be set to REALLY LOUD, but the best audible feature is that you can change the pitch of the beeper: just give it a bit of a nudge to the left or right (it's a little spinwheel thingee) before you go to sleep, and you won't know what's going to wake you, so there's a smaller risk of getting used to the beeps.

What makes this alarm clock a winner to me, however, is the vibrating disk. Stuck between the box spring and mattress, it feels like someone is nudging me - which, lately, seems to be the only thing that truly wakes me up on instant. The disk is about 3, 4 inches in diameter, about an inch high, and comes with a 6 foot cord that attaches to the back of the clock, long enough so that I can lead the cord behind my night stand and bed.

The clock can be set to both 12H and 24H with a little switch at the back - being a European, I find it hard to get used to the AM/PM thing here in the US.

You don't need much space for the clock (it's only 2.5 inches deep and 6 wide), but is not as flimsy as some reviewers claim: the 2.5 inch is the total depth of the clock's bottom side. Granted, you can't switch it to snooze with a bang, because the snooze button is the second tiny button on the right top, but that only helps in the waking up process, the way I see it. Switching it off completely is done with a little slider on the left.

The display has two settings for brightness: high and low. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say high would be 8, and low would be 7.999991... but the color of the display is green, which is a lot less bright than the red displays a lot of alarm clocks used to come with, or the fancy blue my last alarm clock had - which illuminated the room like a flare.

The clock works on a 9 volt adapter (included), which tends to get a little warm - as all adapters do. The clock itself, being only 9 volts, stays cool to the touch.

All in all, from my experience so far, I'd say one could do a LOT worse for the price of this little device.
on September 5, 2007
I am a very heavy sleeper, just like many of you and my fellow reviewers. Friends slap me and i still don't wake up. This alarm clock wakes me up very well, and I used ot for about 5 months, relying on it to wake me up for some very very important times, and it worked beautifully.

HOWEVER, just last night i woke up to the vibrator going off 2 hours early, (the alarm was set to Vib + Buzz) and no tinkering with the controls and settings would stop it, so i was forced to unplug it, and in my grogginess went back to sleep. Later on, when the actual alarm time came by, the Buzzer failed to go off, and when my cell phone alarm woke me up, i noticed that the time was now fast by about 16 minutes, and it was not my doing!

I went through some other reviews for the other Sonic Alert models, and found a couple reviewers who complained about the same thing happening to them.

I will admit that I want to order another one, but will look to make sure there is no other alternative that might be more reliable. Buyer beware.
on March 20, 2013
I'm a very sound sleeper. I did not think this alarm was louder than any other alarm but the bed shaker really wakes me up, I have this alarm 3 stars because the snooze button stopped working. Once again I'm back to a back up alarm.
on March 25, 2014
My 85yr old mother wears hearing aids in both ears but, of course, doesn't wear them to bed at night. She had difficulty hearing her alarm clock in the morning. She's used to the old "Big Ben" wind up alarm clocks, but can no longer find one. None of the electric alarm clocks were loud enough; plus, she was afraid of not being woken up in the morning in the event of a power outage. She may be 85, but she's "on the go" every day!

Well, she LOVES this alarm clock from day one. The bed shaker is quite noticeable and she can definitely hear the alarm. She's very pleased with her new clock. If mom is happy, I'M happy!
on May 1, 2008
I got the Sonic Boom alarm clock for my 11-year-old son, who hears perfectly but wouldn't wake up with even the loudest, most annoying alarm clock I could find. His alarms would wake me up across the house, and I'd have to go shake him awake! Since we got the Sonic Boom for him, he has not failed to wake up on time a single day in over 8 months. He sets it on silent/vibrate, so his alarm now makes no sound that carries to the rest of the house, so it doesn't wake up the rest of the family. I can't recommend this product highly enough! It solved our morning problem, and everyone is so much happier.
on February 6, 2007
My wife is a HEAVY sleeper. She could sleep till bedtime if you let her.

This alarm clock would wake the dead, and even her. The first couple days, it will really scare you when it goes off, but you get used to it. You cannot avoid waking up.

The bed literally shakes and the alarm is so annoying, you can't sleep through it. Plus, the snooze/off is difficult to find, so you end up having to look at it.

Highly recommended for that sleepy teen, too.
on May 6, 2007
Before I was unable to wake up to any sort of alarm. I would hit the snooze and not even know it. If I moved the alarm across the room I would just ignore it until it went off. When I bought this, I was able to wake up without issue, I wasn't late to work or school anymore. This all lasted up until a month and a few days (just long enough so I couldn't return it). The vibrator died on me and as long as it was plugged into the alarm clock, the alarm wouldn't even sound.

The alarm by itself wasn't as helpful as a combination of the two but it work more or less. Now 4 months later, I can't set my alarm to anything but XX:50-59. It just runs around in a loop between 56-06 if I try to change it, and if I have it above XX:59, it just resets to XX:50 whenever it feels like it.

I'm pretty disgusted that this was so poorly made. It's still under warranty so I'll try another one but I doubt I'll have a different experience. I'll probably end up have to spend more for a better one such as this Clarity CLARITY-WAKE Wake Assure. If this actually works longer than 4 months, it would be the best alarm clock in the world. As it stands, this is pretty much garbage.