Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

86%
14%

on January 21, 2016
Plugged it into the slot on the left side of MacBook pro 17 inch 2010 model. Connected a couple of e-sata capable drives that I had before connected via FireWire 800. The e-sata card makes a huge speed difference. Much better than I expected. Highly recommend
review image
on February 21, 2015
I am running this eSATA card on Lenovo W540 workstation laptop, running Windows 7 64 Ultimate. I have tried 3 other eSATA cards - they don't work (either gives me blue screens or hang up the notebook). This one works perfectly. As stated, it is AHCI compatible - so no need to install a 3rd party device driver. Windows 7 default driver is enough. I connect this eSATA card to an Addonics S4SHU3 box - using 4 Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD - configured as RAID 0. The performance of the I/O is more than enough to support 4 streams of HD video (using my Panasonic HPX250).
on March 17, 2016
Installation on Lenovo W530 (Windows7 64bit) was very simple. All you have to do is plug it in and reboot the machine. No hoops to jump no driver to install. It works with Acronis True Image 2016 too.

There are two small green LEDs on top of the card. They blink when you Read/Write to drives.

Read/Write speed is pretty good. However, I don't have numbers for you right now. I will update and provide real speed results in few days.
review image
on April 8, 2014
I've tested this on a 2010 MacBook pro using both Snow Leopard and Mavericks. I have a 3 TB LaCie D2 Quadra hard drive (no Thunderbolt) attached through this eSata controller for backup and external storage. (Note: early versions of Mavericks had a problem with the computer not recognizing the 2010's - and only the 2010's - ExpressCard slot. This was an Apple problem and has been fixed as of 10.9.2.)

It works very well, one very minor complaint is that unlike the built-in USB/Firewire/etc ... ports, this won't gracefully unmount drives if you put the computer to sleep without unmounting the drives yourself. This is not a problem with the controller per-se.

A more major problem with the controller itself is that the computer won't boot up with the controller installed. It doesn't get passed the initial gray screen, nor does it give the start up noise. I am not trying to boot from the external drive attached to the controller (which Sonnet says explicitly cannot be done) - I'm just trying to boot up the computer with controller already attached - I tested this on both Snow Leopard and Mavericks and it was the same for both. Sonnet customer support was unable to explain why this was happening. Hot plugging the controller works fine. Thankfully I never turn the computer off or send it to sleep, so for my purposes this matters very little, but I may still ask for a replacement as I am under warranty and the controller does not completely work as advertised.
on June 11, 2016
I bought one 6 years ago and it worked like a charm until it didn't. Data transfers were incredibly fast compared to the alternatives. There was never a problem until year six. It began overheating and data transfers would hang up. But it was still a good product. So I bought a replacement. I now have 4 HDs in an enclosure. I needed eSATA transfer rates for all of them and the expresscard 34 did the job because it had multi-port capabilities as well.
on April 23, 2014