I set this up yesterday and have been testing it for two days now. This is a wireless iPod accessory dock to combine with an existing Sonos Wireless Music system or to go along with a newly purchased Sonos system.

Published on October 31, 2010 by RW

1.0 out of 5 stars IT IS NOT NECESSARY
You do not need this device to listen to music from your iPod, the sonos does it automatically. Probably this was with the old technology.
Please check before buying.
Published 9 months ago by Vargas Pablo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up, excellent fidelity. Perfect for the existing Sonos system, October 31, 2010
This review is from: Sonos Wireless Dock 100 for iPod and iPhone (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

This item took me 9 minutes from opening the box to listening to music on my iPod Nano. It was a breeze. After unpacking I plugged it in and read the 3 step directions. I grabbed my Sonos Controller, pressed a Sync button on the back of the dock and updated my system wirelessly. The next thing I knew I had an icon for my iPod with my songs, playlists, etc. Easy and simple just the way the Sonos system is.

I can now zone the music together-so I can play that music from my iPod in multiple rooms (only the same music) at the same time, or play iPod in one room and Pandora in another. Of course it does this with a low profile-the item is very small like most accessory docks and also while charging your iPod. I can play the songs on the iPod, Playlists, artists, etc. I have also tried the dock with my iPhone 3G and it worked well-although it does take 30 seconds or so to sort of "read" whatever iPod you dock.

You can also play music while you search for other playlists to artists within the iPod that you want to listen to.

The fidelity is very impressive. I have some floor standing B & W Speakers connected to a higher end Yamaha amp and the music sounds great-better than Pandora through Sonos-and Pandora sounds pretty darn good. I also an running it through a Denon Amp and some Gallo a 'Diva Speakers that sound great as well. Apparently the dock takes the music right off of your iPod vs. converting it to analog-which is huge for original sound integrity. I found this to be the case.

UPDATE: I have now had this dock for 5 days and still love it. There is question as to why one would need this if their iTunes is already synced with Sonos and a thought is that if you have others that visit your house often-they can bring their iPod and sync it with your Sonos. An example would be if you have a significant other not living with you or Mother/Father that have different musical tastes.

The dock itself has volume +/- on the side and a sync button on the back. Note that the sync can be easily accidentally pressed when trying to move this dock-as my wife did when she was cleaning the countertop. It will sort of re-set the iPod and dock again and your music will not play properly until it has reset itself fully. Just something to get used to once you know it's there. One sized dock should fit all iPod except the Shuffle.

I love theSonos system and left a review for it several months ago singing its praises but a critical comment I made of it was that I thought I was supposed to be able to wirelessly connect my Mac and iTunes to the Sonos system and always access my music library. I have not been able to do this after quite a bit of trying but admit to not calling their tech support. I have been resigned to listening to my iTunes via wired LAN connection-essentially my MAC hooked up wired to one of my Sonos 120's or 90's but now I no longer have to do that. My Mac can be off, it can be with my wife away from home or it can simply be in my lap and not plugged in to the wired connection-but I can still access all my iTunes music library that is stored on the iPod docked to this new item.

For it's price point-this is a must have for anyone that has an existing Sonos system and doesn't have an ideal set-up to hear their iTunes library whenever they want. The fact that it charges the iPod and also plays the music with such great fidelity are also huge plusses. Sonos hit a home run with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reasons to buy, January 30, 2012
We've had a Sonos system for nearly 2 years, and it's truly life-changing. We bought this dock about a year ago. Here's why:

1)Instead of buying a second Sonos controller for the kitchen, we bought an Ipod Touch. It's actually cheaper to buy the Sonos dock AND a current generation 8gb Ipod Touch! Plus, the Ipod Touch can do so much more than a Sonos controller.
2)Maybe someday I'll get around to putting my music on a NAS drive. But since we don't have one, and our computer isn't always on, I just keep our music on an Ipod and use this dock.
3)We actually have 5 Ipods and an Iphone in our house, each with different and ever-changing play lists. This is the hub for bringing them to our Sonos system and keeping them charged.

This is a great product. No problems with it. Love Sonos!

One suggestion: more people seem to be using heavy duty cases on their Ipods and Iphones. An adaptor is often needed for them to be docked. We use the Cable Jive Dock Stubz. CableJive dockStubz Charge Converter and 30-pin Pass Through Adapter for iPhone, iPod, and iPad

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing link!, November 21, 2010
This was the missing link in the Sonos eco-system. The problem: People come over and say "can I play my music", and until now, there wasn't any elegant way to connect to Sonos (other than a cable). Now, they plug in, and can play all over... totally love it. Charges too, an added bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great-especially when guests come over, November 27, 2010
I love this wireless dock for my sonos system. When the kids come over, they merely dock their iphones and can listen to all their music through my existing sonos system.

1.0 out of 5 stars IT IS NOT NECESSARY, February 24, 2014
Please check before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, April 20, 2011
As others have written already, this piece of kit is WELL worth it. Works flawlessly and as a bonus it acts as a docking and charging station for your iPhone/iPod that u can have situated anywhere in your home/office.

The awesome thing about Sonos' products is the similarity with Apple's software, interface, and hardware design and look/feel, which as we all know, is no bad thing...

These guys make superb, highly-refined and well-thought out products. This one is no exception.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, February 18, 2014
Sonos system allows 65K song tags which means even though I only have 56K songs many of my songs are not on my system with the doc for iPod I can get the missing songs on my ststem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sonos Dock 100 works with Ipod Touch 4th Gen, March 3, 2011
AFRED "Allyka" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
Everybody has said it all re convenience of setup, functionality, etc of the SONOS Wireless system and the wireless Dock 100. Amazing system, great add on component. Allows you to play all your music on SONOS system without a computer bootup. Compatibility issue: search the sonos website for explicit list of compatible ipod, Nano versions. Also look at other reviews here for info on Apple webpage that helps identify your model of Apple product. Does not work with the older ipods we have that are reported by SONOS to be incompatible, but does work with the newest 4th gen Ipod Touch which is not on the SONOS compatibility info list. Perhaps it is too recent an addition, but it was a five minute setup and we are now listening to Black Keys from our IPOD Touch 4th Generation....

5.0 out of 5 stars **BEWARE!! Classic look-alikes are not supported, November 3, 2010
CarolMC (Marathon, FL) - See all my reviews
I've owned a Sonos system for over a year now (ZP90, ZP120, S5, BR100, CR200, and Mac & PC apps). I once considered Apple as the be all and end all of music delivery systems. I now consider Apple a poor man's Sonos. My experience with Sonos has been absolutely outstanding. The quality of their products and their level of support is better than any I've ever experienced, and I've 65 years of experience behind me.

But I AM disappointed in the WD100 dock, not because it doesn't work well, but because it doesn't work AT ALL with my iPod. The problem does not lay with Sonos, but in how difficult it is to tell an 80GB iPod 5th gen from an 80GB iPod Classic. They appear identical, the way one tells them apart is through the last three digits of their serial numbers.

I made this mistake, and it appears that others are making this same mistake. Hence my warning.

Before I purchased the dock, I thought I had throughly researched whether it would work with my four year old iPod. The Sonos website says:
"Supported Devices
iPods and iPhones supported
iPod touch (1st, 2nd, and 3rd generation)
iPod classic
iPod nano (3rd, 4th, and 5th generation)
iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G, iPhone"

I went to the Apple site to determine which mine was. Because it had been a gift, I had never researched the various models.

Mine looked like a Classic. It was the right GB to be a Classic. And since the Sonos site had given no warning that earlier iPods were not supported, I wasn't worried enough to look more carefully into the issure. I simply did not realize that the differences between the generaions could be that difficult to ascertain.

But when the WD100 didn't work with my iPod, I went to the Support site, and searched for "What iPods are compatible with the SONOS Wireless Dock?" I found this newly listed answer:

"Below is a list of the Apple products that
the Sonos Wireless Dock (WD100) supports:
iPod Classic (iPod 6th generation)
..."

Had I seen that answer before I ordered the dock, I would have done more research.

I'm disappointed. But this is the first time Sonos has disappointed me in over a year, (and I've had some very thorny network problems which they deftly handled in real time), so in my book THEY are still worth five stars! (I will update this review once my new iPod Touch 64 arrives and is attached to the dock.)

UPDATE
I've been using my dock now for five months with the new iPod Touch. I actually prefer using the Touch with the SONOS app over the SONOS controllers. Elegant is the only word for it. BTW, I love that I can now play all my music (located on the Touch) when the laptop is turned off. I SHOULD be able to do so from my NAS (on which my iTunes Library resides) but sometimes I just can't 'reach' it. I know that the problem lies with the NAS, though, and not the iPod Touch or dock.

5.0 out of 5 stars SONOS.... it actually says it all, February 13, 2014
If you use an iPod (any model), than this is a 'slip it into the cradle... and it plays where you left off' item. As with all of the Sonos items, it is a no-brainer to use or set up. Expensive, but as with Sonos.... it reflects the motto, 'you get what you pay for.'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›