5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Lens, June 10, 2011
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
This lens is my favorite so far for the A900, despite it being the most expensive. Before I purchased this lens I already had the 24-70 so I doubted if it was worth the extremely high price tag for basically an extra 8mm focal length. Needless to say, I use this lens more than any other due to the ultra wide 16mm which is super sharp all around when stopped down to f8-f13 making it perfect as a landscape lens. Also it is very useful at 24mm or so, even if you do have the 24-70 since it has less distortion and is slightly sharper since it is in the middle its zoom where the 24-70 is at its widest. Build quality is outstanding, including the lens hood and SSM focusing which works great. If there are any faults with this lens it would be the high level of barrel distortion and vignetting at 16mm, but this is a problem with all ultra wide lenses and this one rates better than the equivalent offerings from nikon and canon (DxOmark tests as my source). I would recommend this lens to any landscape photographer using full frame who wants to take very sharp daytime shots stopped down and low light shots at f2.8 which still produces good images. If using APS-C sonys (which are all but 2) this lens is not worth it since you would be paying a lot of money for a lens that is not very wide and very heavy on the smaller framed APS-C cameras. The CZ16-80 is by far the best choice, along with one of the aps-c ultra wide zooms, even though they would be a few stops slower.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Wide Angle Zoom Lens, April 6, 2009
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
With the 16-35mm f2.8 lens, Sony/Zeiss have introduced yet another high quality lens to complement their professional grade 85mm f/1.4 Sony SAL-85F14Z 85mm f1.4 Carl Zeiss Planar T Coated Telephoto Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera, 135mm f/1.8 Sony SAL-135F18Z 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar T Telephoto Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Camera and 24-70mm f/2.8 Sony 24 -70mm f/2.8 Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras lenses.

The only alternative to this lens is the rare and coveted Minolta 17-35mm f3.5 G lens. I have tested both lenses using the Imatest lens test software. At an aperture of f3.5, the Sony/Zeiss 16-35 lens at 16mm exhibits better corner sharpness and less chromatic aberration than does the Minolta 17-35 G lens at 17mm. The only advantage of the Minolta 17-35 lens is that it is smaller and lighter than the Sony/Zeiss 16-35 lens.

A review of the Sony/Zeiss 16-35 lens may be found at the lemondedelaphoto web site. It is written in French but it can be translated via Google.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cannot beat Zeiss, March 14, 2013
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
I switched from Canon to Sony after 35 years and the Zeiss glass was one of the reasons I did. Cannot beat the clarity, color and sharpness of this lens. For a zoom telephoto it is amazing. It has added a whole new dimension to my landscape photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for some applications, July 3, 2012
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
Well like every new toy I get I want to use this ALL the time. I love the lens. I find that it isn't the ticket for most of my needs, BUT when I do need it nothing else will do. Specific strengths are indoor photography where you want to get the whole crowd, particularly small spaces (i.e. just remodeled a TINY utility room and wanted to get pics) and of course scenery. I did find that unless the scenery is on a grandiose scale - i.e. national park size - my kit lens would do just about as good a job for the finished pic. Where you just can't go wrong is in tight spaces, needing to get group shots and broad scenery. In other applications you'll notice some distortion, because this just isn't the lens for that target. For instance, I tried to shoot flowers on the trail to the scenery and they were focused but distorted - just not the lens for that application. SO - keep it in the bag unless you have those special shots - not going to replace your other lens - this is a specialty guy and it is VERY good at what it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best wide angle for a SONY, January 19, 2013
Alberto Rada (Miramar, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
Sharp, solid, well made, incredible glass although a bit expensive, but for nature photography is the best you can get

5.0 out of 5 stars Best UWA zoom lens of any make, including Nikon & Canon, November 19, 2014
David Siegfried (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
I've shot with Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, and now Sony SLRs and Mirrorless camera.. My favorite camera is and will remain the Canon 5D Mark III. I've owned and used the famed Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G, and a number of Canon ultra wide angle lenses. But this lens is hands down the best ultra wide angle zoom I've ever used. The clarity, color, and sharpness are beyond any offers from Nikon or Canon.

I got a Sony A99 just so that I could shoot with these incredible Zeiss autofocus lenses. There are only a handful of them. The Sony/Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Sonnar T was the first one I shot with. It's hands down the best portrait lens I've ever used.

This lens doesn't go as wide as the Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G, but it goes to 35mm on the long end. And it's more compact than that Nikon beast. For me the 25-35mm range is so much more useful than the 14-15mm I'm not getting on the wide end. This is a matter of style, taste, and choice, but for me personally, 16mm is plenty wide enough for just about any landscape shot. I don't like the perspective distortion you get at wider angles, unless you can display the image on a large wall--then they look really cool, but the perspective distortion at normal print sizes or on the computer screen just isn't very pleasing.

The corners are pretty sharp wide open and you don't get the smearing that you get with most UWA lenses. Very sharp as you get to the long end.

The only shame is that this lens isn't made in Canon or Nikon mounts, or in the new Sony E-mount. The A-mount is being surpassed by the E-mount, and you have to use an expensive adapter to use this lens on an E-mount camera. I'm not sold on the E-mount system, as the native zoom lenses are mostly F4 or smaller aperture. I like having the F2.8.

These are just first impressions. I'll update the review as I have more time with this gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good. Over priced though., October 25, 2014
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
Its very well made. I knocked it a star because of the price to performance ratio. Too expensive for what its able to do. I won't won't knock it on the AF, because I'm using an adapter for my Sony A7. You can only use center focusing really. A lot of the other AF have been turned off because of lack of AF on the adapter. I thought the adapter was suppose to add on to my already pretty good AF on the A7, but it didn't. Instead, you're limited to what the LAEA4 can do. I like doing low, wide shots using my LCD flip screen, but its much harder to do with this lens than my kit lens. Picture quality wasn't that great to me, just good. THe build quality is amazing though.

5.0 out of 5 stars pleased with my new lens, August 21, 2014
Don Templeton (San Jose, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
Took the lens on vacation and used it to shoot large Panographs. Lens is sharp and worked well.
Lens is clear of dust etc.. Lens was packed up in original box with manuals and packing material as if it came from Sony.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens, but expensive, October 31, 2012
This review is from: Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens (Electronics)
I am quite happy with this lens, though the price seems high. It is sharp, well-built, close focusing (about 4 inches from front element), and wide. It resists lens flare pretty well, but not totally; and lens distortion is minimal and easily corrected with software. The lens is heavy, though not as heavy as it might have been had the barrel been made of metal rather than composite. The focusing is dead silent, something I found a little disorienting at first. It has good center sharpness wide open, but I have seen evidence that its corner sharpness is not equal to the Minolta 20mm prime at f/2.8 ([...]). If sharpness is more important than versatility, the Minolta lens might be a better pick.

Sony 16-35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens