This superb SAL-55200 telephoto zoom lens
for your Alpha DSLR camera has a smooth and silent AF operation with a built-in motor to handle themed range to telephoto zoom shots. In 35mm equivalent, it covers midrange 82.5mm to 300mm telephoto zoom (4x), ideal for shooting portraits, sports, wildlife and more. Please note: DT lenses are not recommended for use with the DSLR-A900. FEATURES:
- SteadyShot INSIDE In-Camera Image Stabilization - A major reason for its compact, lightweight lens design is the benefit of SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization, built into every alpha DSLR camera -- and enabling lenses to eliminate the extra weight and expense of in-lens stabilization mechanisms.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass - To reduce chromatic aberration at telephoto extension, correcting certain wavelengths of light for sharp, clear images with well defined colors.
- DT Lens Design - A more compact, lightweight lens designed specifically for the APS-size CCD imager used in some Sony alpha DSLR cameras.
- Circular Aperture - Because aperture blades form a near circle at the wide openings used for low-light shots, spot-light sources have a pleasing circular defocused effect.
- Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) - The built-in Smooth Autofocus Motor (SAM) eliminates the need to use a mechanical coupling system in the camera body to transfer auto foucs (AF) drive power and control signals to the lens. Instead, AF control signals from the camera body are sent to the lens-mounted SAM unit, which drives the focusing lens group directly, helping to assure smooth AF response.
From the Manufacturer
DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM Zoom Lens
This superb telephoto zoom lens for your α DSLR camera has a smooth and silent AF operation with built-in motor to handle themed range to telephoto zoom shots. In 35mm equivalent, it covers midrange 82.5mm to 300mm telephoto zoom (4x) ideal for shooting portraits, sports, wildlife and more. An excellent all-around lens. Please note: DT lenses are not recommended for use with the DSLR-A900.
When changing your aperture to defocus the background, the light sources appear blurred. This ‘bokeh’ effect of the blurred background can be enhanced with circular aperture blades used in this lens. Conventional aperture blades have flat sides creating unappealing polygonal shaped defocussed points of light. α lenses overcome this problem through a unique design that keeps the aperture almost perfectly circular from its wide-open setting to when it is closed by 2 stops. Smoother, more natural defocusing can be obtained as a result.
ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass
As focal lengths get longer, lenses built with conventional optical glass have difficulties with chromatic aberration, and as a result images suffer from lower contrast, lower color quality, and lower resolution. ED glass dramatically reduces chromatic aberration at telephoto ranges, and provides superior contrast across the entire image, even at large aperture settings. Super ED glass provides enhanced compensation for chromatic aberration.
The distance encoder plays an integral part in ADI flash metering, which delivers high precision flash metering that is unaffected by the reflectance of subjects or backgrounds. The distance encoder is a lens component that directly detects the position of the focusing mechanism, and sends a signal to the CPU in order to measure distance to the subject. During flash photography, this data is very useful in calculating how much flash output is appropriate to the scene.
SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor)
Rather than using the focus drive motor in the camera body, SAM lenses feature an autofocus motor built into to the lens itself that directly drives the focusing element group. Since the built-in motor directly rotates the focus mechanism, operation is significantly smoother and quieter than conventional coupled autofocus drive systems.
2009 Sony Electronics Inc. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission is prohibited. Sony, α and HDNA, are trademarks of Sony. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners. Non-metric weights and measurements are approximate and may vary.