5.0 out of 5 stars you cannot go wrong
I received this lens 1 day ago and did a quick test comparing it with a canon 100L and a canon 70-200 IS on 60d.
To my surprise contrast, definition, IQ are very comparable if not identical (at same apertures, 4.5-5.6-6.3)
Optical Steady Shot also works well, the smoker and coffee drinker that I am was able to go as low as 1/30 sec at the 210mm extremity...
Published on October 20, 2011 by Khiem Do

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and Faster than 18-200mm
SONY SEL18200 E-mount 18-200mm was my telephoto zoom lens, and it's very heavy making me feeling like to carry pervious Nikon DSLR when it plugging on NEX5N. After I received this E-mount 55-210mm len, I would say that SONY got the right point to create this len for working with 18-55mm kit lens.

1. Lighter, it's the most key point to use NEX5N instead of...
Published on February 12, 2012 by Jiunjr Feng

5.0 out of 5 stars you cannot go wrong, October 20, 2011
Khiem Do (Yorba Linda, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Lens for Sony E-Mount Cameras (Silver) (Camera)
The zoom is very light, and balance is not that bad on the Nex5. It does extend at long range about 2" but you can still hold the camera by the grip and do not need to support the lens with the other hand if you want to do so.
Focus is admittedly not that fast, but positive nonetheless (progressive in good light, no hesitation and going back and forth).
Built is good (plasticky metal?), there is no indication (distance, OSS on/off) on the lens itself, except focal range.
For all purpose, due to the limited choice on Nex mount, you cannot go wrong with that choice. I used a FD 50mm, FD 135mm and a FD 200mm previously with an adapter but even the 135mm seems heavy and none of these obviously do AF.
I was concerned mainly with the size of this zoom on the tiny Nex5 body more than anything and the IQ was a nice surprise (of course 4.5 - 6.3 is slow).
Hope this will help in your decision because there are samples on the web but not any review yet.

A pity that Nex7 is delayed and probably not available before months. This zoom will balance better on the slightly larger body of the Nex7.

UPDATE 10/25/11: COMPARED TO CANON 70-200mm/4 IS

Soon, experts will be testing this lens shooting charts on tripods with elaborate measures, which will be good for all of us to know. I've compared it today with a 70-200/4 IS directly on the Sony Nex 5 body only to find out that for practical purposes my manual focusing (with peaking and 7x handheld) is poorer (and way slower) than the 55-210mm in many cases.

When focus is manually nailed , at same aperture (6.3) there is no real difference I can notice (on screen display at actual pixels), except in color and exposure (for which you can adjust). Definition on contrast are on par and i cannot be more happy with the Sony although I'll have to bear with the slow maximum aperture and kick up the ISO.

(to keep my Canon at 6.3 on the Nex, I first set it on a Canon body, hold DOF button while dismounting it. Lens will hold that aperture when you mount it on the Nex adapter but that is a lot to bother with. I also have an adapter with built in aperture for Canon EF but I have no idea how this does or does not affect IQ, bokeh vs the aperture in the lens itself).

UPDATE 11/3/11: COMPARED TO CONTAX G 90mm/2.8

Color is different, looks more natural to me with the Contax G.
Bokeh is different as well, more pleasing to me with the Contax G.
Definition is also superior with the Contax, at 100% when peeping.
The Sony zoom is behind but it is Optical Steady and AF.
I would prefer the Contax only when conditions are optimal, tripod, wide opening and time to manual focus (7x-14x) on a still subject. Convenience dictates the Sony otherwise (central AF. You can always tweak the color to your preference and there is no discernable difference in IQ at usual size display/print.
In my particular case, I'll not be able to nail focus most of the time with the excellent Contax, and in outdoor/bright situations, I'll need to use a LCD Viewfinder to start with and not rely 'blindly' (pun intended) on the AF.

UPDATE 5/3/12: COMPARED TO CANON FD 135mm/2.5 on Nex 7

The Canon is about the same size but much heavier and you might as well to hold the combo with both hands because you'll have to focus manually! At the same aperture (5.6) IQ is better with the Sony zoom but the zoom does not have the shallow DOF at 2.5 of the prime. At 135mm magnification is bigger (focusing distance is closer) with the zoom so it compensates for DOF if your subject is small and if you can get closer. Also you can zoom in all the way to 210mm (at 6.3 though) if you want bigger magnification/shallower DOF.
Convenience wise, there is no contest, the zoom is faster, easier to use and has better IQ at same aperture. Stabilization also helps indoor and negates the 2 stops advantage of the prime (i.e. you can handhold the zoom 5.6 and 1/30 sec or the prime at 2.5 and 1/125 sec). You can get the Canon 135mm for under $100 though (+ the $25 adapter for Nex)and it may be fun to to play with DOF at 2.5.

UPDATE 5/3/12: COMPARED TO CANON FD 50mm/1.8 AND SONY E 50mm/1.8

The Sony 50mm/1.8 ($300) is a worthwhile addition to this zoom IMO due to the almost 4 stops difference, better IQ at same 4.5 aperture and same convenience (OS and AF).
The Canon prime is admittedly small and beats both of them at IQ with a small margin. It is also cheap to get (as well as all the standards 40-50mm out there you can use on a Nex with the proper adapter) If you don't mind manual focus one of these will complement your 55-210mm zoom for only some $50 and minimal extra weight/space in your bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars preferred choice over the 18-200, November 17, 2011
zboub75 (Lausanne, Suisse) - See all my reviews
I tried the 18-200 lens from Sony for the NEX. It's a good lens, quick, but it has a major drawback: too heavy.

So I ordered this one 55-210, and I'm pretty happy with my choice.
It's light, well balanced, and you can use the camera without holding the lens.
And furthermore, it's the same diameter (49mm) as the 16f2.8 and the 18-55, so it's compatible with my polarized filter (opposite to the 18-200).

Obviously the AF is not quick at 210mm, which may be bothersome for movie shooting, but it's still fully acceptable for me.

Good choice, good value for money, I'm a happy customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A modern lens for modern times, March 6, 2012
Carlgo (Carmel Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Modern design and production techniques have made it possible to mass market complex, automated lenses like the Sony E 55-210. But, can a modern consumer lens compete with an old legend? Gots to have a test...

I have a 40 year-old Leica Elmar-C 90mm, off of the "entry level" compact Leica CL of the day. And while it is old, nothing is really all that new in the actual optics, especially in this focal range. Even the coatings were just fine then. It is a heavy little sucker, made of glass and brass, and nearly the same weight as the far bigger Sony.

Nothing like the Big Sur coast for photos of rocks and water. Perched on a rock above a cove where the ancients once gathered abalone, I shot away with all of my lenses and my newly arrived Nex-7 from Amazon. Yay! Not a horrible way to spend an almost 75 degree sunny day in early March.

After downloading and enlarging the results at 100% it was evident that at 90mm the Sony was just a hair less sharp in the center than the Leica. At the edges, the Leica was clearly superior. Wow! To me that is both a testament both how good Leica was making entry level lenses 40 years ago and how an affordable, automated zoom can compete with a quality prime lens at the length and sunny lighting conditions that the Leica was optimized to work at! Awesome.

I believe that even a laboratory sort of test would find the same results. It was pretty clear in a real world sort of way.

And, in the real world the Sony goes way beyond what any prime can do. You can zoom in and fill the frame, avoiding cropping. This will equalize the sharpness factor in many cases. It can focus automatically, has optical stabilization so that even the longest telephoto shots are sharp. It can be hand-held and allows for high shutter speeds, an aid to sharpness in itself of course. It is capable of fully being controlled by the camera and in essence becomes one with the camera in a way that is different than the past when you manually operated your camera, then manually operated whatever brand lens was on it.

In video mode it tracked a big buzzard as it flew by. It focused well on waves coming at me, with the sun glaring from directly behind them.

It worked well with a 49mm polarizing filter.

The manual focusing is very smooth and precise, with a decent feel to it. It is a very good looking design, again modern in look as well, but the turned aluminum parts are more likely to be scratched than the rubbery, plasticy lenses on my old Nikon D40. I really need to get a decent little divided case. You can't just throw these new Sony lenses into a pile.

In the end, this is a quality, useful and well-priced lens, one I will always have with me when I go shooting around. You can get good results with the old technology, but modern lenses like this, mated to the cameras they were designed to work with, are just another thing altogether. The five-star rating reflects the value and utility of this excellent lens.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and Faster than 18-200mm, February 12, 2012

1. Lighter, it's the most key point to use NEX5N instead of tranditional DSLR.
2. Faster, auto focus is faster than SEL18200.
3. Cheaper, the price is reasonable.
4. Easier to carry, LCS-X20 can handle NEX5N mounted 18-55mm kit lens and this E55-210mm together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 3/6/2012

Found internal dust inside the len after taking less than 50 pictures. I called SONY and they arrange me RMA.
1. They asked me to pay for the shipping, so I have to talk to the customer service to discuss for SONY taking the responbility for the shipping.
2. They charged me $82 for labor of the DOA product and their on-line customer serivce cannot do any thing, but asked me to call their customer relationship department.

Good concept and idea for NEX e mount product, but super bad customer service and unreasonable charges again and again.

So, I would like to change review to 3 stars...... Because you will have nice idea product with poor customer serivce.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not for me, August 20, 2013
I flatter myself that I'm an "advanced amateur" photographer for over 50 years. I'm quite used to Canon DSLRs and their lenses, and to Sony E mount prime lenses. I really wanted this lens to work, because the focal ranges were exactly what I wanted. I spent many hours and hundreds of exposures trying to "learn how to use it" - but in the end, I returned it, because I could not get an acceptable percentage of "keepers" with the 55-210. If there's excellent, bright light and if the subject is not moving around, it's possible to get razor sharp images with this lens, even at 210mm - despite the many claims that it's "soft a the long end". However, it's a slow lens, and focus acquisition of my copy was unreliable. When it works well, the lens is very impressive, especially as a relatively inexpensive mid range zoom lens. But my copy just wasn't consistent enough. I do think, though, that if my only need were to photograph unmoving subjects in good light, I'd like this lens a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW - Amazing Lens, May 24, 2013
Russell W. Miller "bluecrabby" (Annapolis, MD United States) - See all my reviews
I received this lens this afternoon and spent a few hours trying it out at the beach in San Diego. Having read all of the reviews on here I was expecting an above average but not exceptional tele but this puppy really blew me away. Firstly I should note that I purchased one of the "Used - Like New" lenses fulfilled by Amazon. I bought it at the airport in DC and had it sent to an Amazon locker at my destination which ended up being superbly convenient. It was still shipped with the Prime shipping option and arrived a day later. Despite being listed as used it had obviously never been removed from it's packaging and looked brand new.
Many of the reviewers noted that it didn't seem as sharp at 210 but I found it to be pretty darn perfect. I'm posting a few jpegs straight from the camera on here so you can see for yourself. It helped that I was working outside in very bright light but still, the sharpness at 210 was far better than many reviewers led me to believe. I will note that the lens MUST be manually focused to optimize the sharpness at full tele but that is to be expected. AF works and works well but can't be expected to match the precision of manually focusing. I also noted a few reviews that mentioned this lens' poor macro performance. I tested it out on a beautiful shimmering succulent and was very impressed. It isn't a macro lens and won't replace one in your kit but it's performance shouldn't be discounted. It picked up spider webs on the succulent with perfect clarity that I could not see with my own eyes. Even the bokeh at close range was pleasant. The most impressive thing to me was the built-in Image Stabilization. All of today's shots were hand-held and I never once had trouble, even at 210. I was downright shocked at how stable the image was and tried to mess with it by jostling it a bit but nothing phased it. Check out my sample images and don't hesitate to ask a question in the comments but bottom line - buy this lens. Now. You absolutely will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite pleased, February 13, 2012
Being accustomed to pro-level gear, I bought this consumer-grade lens with some trepidation, but it really delivers the goods on my NEX 5N. Sharpness is excellent at the shorter focal lengths and very good at the longer. Chromatic aberrations are present but well controlled (shoot in JPEG with auto-correct on and you won't see them). Barrel/pincushion distortion is a little high at some focal lengths but nothing that can't be dealt with (and again, shoot in JPEG with auto-correct, and you won't notice anything). Flare resistance is excellent! I have pro glass that flares worse. The OSS works very well, I can hand hold at unexpectedly low shutter speeds. Build quality is also a pleasant surprise, yes, there is plenty of plastic but the crucial parts are metal. Zooming and focusing are very smooth and there is a quality feel to the lens. Yet, it is lightweight. It makes a nice, compact and lightweight kit with the NEX 5N and the 18-55mm zoom. I think it is a well-priced and decent quality lens with lots of capability.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good lens compared to the alternative., April 25, 2012
Overall I think it's a good lens for what it's intended to do. The NEX series as a whole is meant to bridge between point and shoot's and DSLR's and feed people who are just getting into photography. I fall into that category.

Pros: It is a lot cheaper than the other zoom lens offered by Sony. So far I've used it for closeups on wildlife and better shots at a baseball game. It works well for both of these, and the image stabilization that my NEX 5 offers kept the images nice and clear. While it is fairly large compared to the body on the NEX 5 it doesn't unbalance the camera overall. It also has a very solid feel and fits snugly with the camera.

Cons: While it doesn't unbalance the camera it is a lot longer. I can still one hand the camera, but it's not like the 18-55mm, and if it's zoomed in the image stabilization won't compensate, two hands is always the best with this lens. The F stop on the lens is a little high, so low light conditions are going to be a little problematic, but I didn't have too many problems at a night Cards vs. Cubs game.

It's a good lens, and maybe I'm just being picky and keeping it from getting a 5 star rating. It does fulfill all the needs that I require of it, just not as well as I would like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, great value, January 14, 2013
I love my NEX camera, but there is one major weakness. It does not have Image Stabilization in the camera body. This lens solves that problem, since "IS" is built into the lens. The autofocus works really well and is fast. But, the "IS" is second to none. I never use a tripod. Everything is handheld and rock solid, which I definitely am not on my own. Image quality is excellent also. This is a must have for your NEX camera. Much better IQ than the 18-210mm from Sony that costs around $900. Buy this lens, not the 18-210.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price, but overall a soft lens, May 4, 2012
For the price, this seems like a good value, especially when compared to the 18-200mm lens for the NEX systems. However, at the longer zooms, IQ on this lens seems to be quite a bit softer than the more expensive 18-200mm. If you have the money to invest in the 18-200, I'd recommend that over this lens but this lens is a good value if you stay under 185mm for most of your shots.

Rate and Discover Movies