Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Sony A390 Digital SLR Camera - Black (Discontinued..." and save 50% off the $499.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Sony A390 Digital SLR Camera - Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
- Live View with Quick Auto Focus
- SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization
- 14.2 MP resolution for ultra-fine detail
- Lightweight and stylish body for improved handling
- Integrated on-screen Help Guide for easy operation
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Special Offers and Product Promotions
|Auto Focus Technology|
|Battery Average Life||230 Photos|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||2.5 fps|
|Display Fixture Type||Tilting|
|Display Resolution Maximum||230,400|
|Display Size||0.11 inches|
|Effective Still Resolution||14.2 MP|
|Expanded ISO Maximum||3,200|
|Expanded ISO Minimum||100|
|External Memory Included||Yes|
|Flash Memory Type||SD/ SDHC, Memory Stick Pro Duo|
|Flash Type||Built-in Flash, Hot-shoe, Wireless|
|Focus Description||TTL 15-point Phase Detection|
|Focus Type||automatic with manual|
|Form Factor||Compact SLR|
|ISO Range||Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200|
|Image Aspect Ratio||3:2, 16:9|
|Item Dimensions||3.82 x 3.39 x 5.04 inches|
|Item Display Weight||1.51 Kilograms|
|Item Weight||1.21 pounds|
|Manufacturer Warranty Description||1 YEAR LIMITED|
|Maximum Shutter Speed||1/4000 of a second|
|Maximum horizontal resolution||4,592|
|Metering||Multi, Center-weighted, Spot|
|Minimum Focal Length||18 mm|
|Minimum Shutter Speed||30 seconds|
|Optical Sensor Resolution||14.2 MP|
|Optical Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Photo Sensor Technology||CCD|
|Remote Control Description||Optional|
|Sensor Cleaning Method||Charge protection coating on low-pass filter|
|Shipping Weight||3.15 pounds|
|Supported Battery Types||Lithium-Ion NP-FH50 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Viewfinder Type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Water Resistance Level||Not Water Resistant|
Read about our customers' top-rated cameras and lenses on our review pages: Digital SLR Cameras, Lenses
Top Customer Reviews
With the birth of a grandchild on the way, my wife decided to look for a "really good" camera. She bought this camera at a one day sale at Electronics Expo as part of a kit that also included a 75-300mm lens, tripod, cleaning kit, 4GB SD card, and Bower camera bag--all for $600. After she brought it home the "photo bug" that had been dormant for so many years bit me again. I absolutely love this camera. Here is why.
1. Picture quality is stunning. Don't be overly impressed with the 14.2 megapixels because unless you regularly make 16 x 20 pictures or larger, you won't really notice a difference from a camera with say 10 megapixels. The whole emphasis on megapixels is really just a marketing ploy. The thing to focus on are the lenses, and both lenses that came with our kit take amazing pictures--clear, sharp, vivid colors. I use one of the pictures that I took as a screensaver on my 22 inch monitor, and the detail is incredible. Also, my cousin who is an avid photographer has a much more expensive Nikon DSLR, and because the Sony lenses are so good, there is no noticeable difference in our picture quality.
2. The lenses are easy to remove and put on, and the autofocus and automatic light metering features work very well.
3. The included flash is compact but powerful.Read more ›
1. Continuous shooting. VERY slow. Almost too slow. They say it's 2.5 per second, but it felt like maybe 1.5 per second. It's not a huge issue, but my expectation was such that I thought it would be faster. It was really surprising and i couldn't get over it.
2. Battery. I took it out one afternoon and only got 50 shots before the battery died. Which takes me to my next point:
3. Accessories- i saw some accessories, but none of them where really clear as to whether or not they fit this model. Also-there where two types of accessories, expensive and bottom level. Other brands had a full range and clearly specific to models. Case in point: look for a battery grip for this model camera and you'll see what i mean.
Now, onto the Good-
1. you can use Minolta lenses with this camera. There are literally thousands upon thousands of lenses to choose from.
2. Superb optics, even for the obligatory 18-55mm kit lens. See the pictures i loaded with the basic kit lens.
3. it uses both Sony cards as well CS, and has two slots. This is awesome.
4. The price alone makes this the top pick for beginners. I bought the kit from Adorama and it came with a bag, a card, and lens all for $465.
At the end of the day- if you don't care about the continuous shooting issue (and it's not an issue per se) then this is a really hard camera to pass up.
I dropped out of it as I ended up with faulty equipment, losing most of it due to complicated stories, etc. and then I repurchased a 35mm SLR only to have the digital age turn everything around.
I hesitated for many years spending the money for a D-SLR as I waited for the technology to approach film quality and mature appropriately, and contended myself with a Sony F828 (a great camera), but after taking my 35mm SLR out last summer and reminded of the beauty of using an SLR, I've been aching for months on which camera to get.
I finally decided on this one (A390)for various reasons (as mentioned further in this review)
I've now have had this camera for a week and been "playing" with it as much as I can. I did want the 580 model but as it doesn't appear that it will be released in Canada, the 390 is the only model that I could get in stores that is an SLR (the A33-A55 aren't) and I wanted the actual mirror viewing through the lens and not a small LCD screen.
The good: very easy to use, great images.
The bad: the lens that comes with it feels cheap, the 2.5fps is a bit low, lack of connectors for external flashes and remote.
I had compared other brand SLR in store and none were as easy to simply pick up and take a few pictures. The menus are easy to understand, don't have many buttons but the interface is very well thought out.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great easy to use camera and I can use my old lenses on it! Bonus.Published 3 months ago by R. A. Hopwood
The seller was dishonest. The camera could not hold a charge even with 2 new batteries. Great camera if it operated properlyPublished 16 months ago by Robert S Zoller
This is very useful stuff. I was very glad about this camera and features. Thanks a lot for in-time delivery:)Published 19 months ago by Igor
Please do the right thing to get money
I like this camera because the brand, not too heavy and easy to use
I really liked this camera. I'm a newbie in this kind of cameras but it was great for me. I already traveled with it and works like a charm. Very reliable and robust.Published 23 months ago by corozco4
I used the A390 for several months as a second, backup body.
It has a good sensor (similar or maybe same as the A550/A560? Read more
Great, it was a good deal, and easy to use, and very economical, it is a replacement for my older Sony SLRPublished on January 8, 2014 by James Savage