Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:27 Mins
This accessory solves the disappointment I initially had with the Action Camera's lack of a tripod mount. I can't speak to the fitting issues some of the other reviewers are having with their more active placements, but for my use with a tripod this has worked quite well.

I like that there are two mounting choices: one to mount on...
Published 14 months ago by Lon J. Seidman

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well until it didn't.
Published 16 months ago by RLinse

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds a tripod mount without the audio muffling waterproof case, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Sony AKASF1 Versatile Lightweight Open Skeleton Frame (Black Yellow) (Electronics)
Length:: 2:27 Mins

I like that there are two mounting choices: one to mount on the bottom of the camera, and a side mount which allows for both tripod mounting and access to the audio and HDMI jacks on the bottom of the camera. There are some contortions involved with keeping the camera's bottom door open but once everything is secured it's relatively easy to gain access to the ports.

Bottom line? If you want to mount camera to a tripod without having the lens and microphone encased in the plastic this is the accessory you're looking for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Worked well until it didn't., October 26, 2013
For the first few days it held the HDR-AS15 Action Cam securely though there was a bit of looseness within the skeleton frame which wasn't critical. Then the bottom Attachment which the bottom of the Skeleton Frame snaps into failed to hold the frame without a considerable amount of rattling. On my early morning bicycle commute, with all attached to the Handle Bar Mount, I inadvertently hit a small pothole and the camera and skeleton frame broke loose from the bottom Attachment and smashed hard on the street. The camera survived with a few nicks and scrapes, but the Skeleton Frame lost its sliding lock and I later discovered that the small tabs that the frame locks onto inside the bottom Attachment were broken off. This appears to be a design flaw which allows the frame to loosen and fall off when jarred. I guess you can't expect perfection when it's just plastic after all, but now it's just plastic garbage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better audio quality, but the 90 degree bracket is too wobbly, August 25, 2013
Sony AKASF1 Versatile Lightweight Open Skeleton Frame

I had been waiting for the open-mic cover to drop in price, and that would come with the special underwater lens as well. I was browsing Amazon when I came across the new AKASF1, skeletonized frame for the AS-10. This looked promising because it basically opens up the entire camera for better sound recording and would not be subject to any fogging when used in normal conditions. The only caveat is that the AS-10 is now no longer waterproof or weatherproof. I only intended to use the AS-10 inside my car, so this skeletonized frame looked like it would suit me perfectly.

With the included 2 clip-on adapters, you can set the tripod mount on the left, right, or bottom of the AS10. The AS10 fits into this frame anyway you want, forward/backwards, upside down, rightside up.

At first, I was skeptical about the frame being solid enough to not rattle. I had previously foamed up the inside of the AS-10 to reduce rattling from the optics and the circuit panel. I then used 2 pieces of thin foam on the sides of the waterproof case to prevent the AS-10 from rattling. Luckily, the AKASF1 is rattle free when locked in place. The 90 degree mount works perfectly with my RAM Mount on the windshield as I now no longer need to rotate the video by 180 degrees in Adobe Premiere Elements because of the AS10 being upside down. However, the L-bracket itself is not rigid enough and tends to cause the camera to wobble during high vibration events.

The sound recording is a lot clearer, and I no longer have to completely remove the AS10 from the RAM mount to change SD cards, etc... I can unlock the skeletonized frame to remove the AS10.

The negative aspect is with the skeletonized frame, the microphones are open and can provide clear audio recordings unless there is a lot of wind. So if you intend to use the AS10 in a noisy and windy environment, the waterproof case is actually a better solution. So if you want to strap the AS10 to the frame of your motorcycle, go with the waterproof case. If you want to strap the AS10 to the inside of your car, the skeletonized frame makes sense - unless you have the convertible top down, at which point the waterproof case is a better route.

Overall: 4/5 stars, it seems well made and doesn't rattle. It makes the AS10 a bit easier to use but sacrifices waterproofness and wind noise reduction, just be aware of the environment you intend to use the AS10. I feel this frame should have been included in the original AS10 kit, much like GoPro provides a skeletonized door for the Hero 3. Unfortunately, the L-bracket is not rigid enough to prevent the camera from shaking during high vibration events.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware. Seriously., March 11, 2014
Amazon Customer (Merced, California) - See all my reviews
I rarely write Amazon reviews but felt that the flaws in the design of this particular item merited a serious warning to prospective owners.

I just bought a Sony AS-10, let's be honest, it's got the GoPro form factor beat hands-down.

However, let's not forget, this is still being billed and marketed as an ACTION CAMERA.

Enter, the AKASF1 Skeleton Frame camera mount. The plastic of this frame is jaw-droppingly flimsy. I cannot stress this enough. For something that is supposed to carry your investment into all manner of bumps, jumps and everything in between, I don't think they could have built this thing out of thinner, weaker plastic without it falling apart immediately after rolling down the assembly line. If you're holding an AS-10 or AS-15 right now, please take a look at the waterproof case that came with it. You could probably stamp Otterbox or Pelican on it and I'd believe you. Now, go to the opposite end of the spectrum and you've got the AKASF1.

Seriously, I thought I was going to break it just opening the packaging. Think again Sony. I still love the camera though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Constant Voice Narrations or Just Tired of Constantly Opening Up the Waterproof Case? LOVE THIS FRAME!, December 10, 2014
Length:: 2:17 Mins

I have zero issues with this frame on my AS20... in fact, it has opened a vast vista of mounting options while at the same time giving me clear audio for my voice narrations. The waterproof casing is neat and all, but for my purposes, reviewing here on Amazon and YouTube, its effect on audio was a major issue. Plus, I was constantly having to open it up, pull the camera out, open that maddening flap, so on and on. This frame has answered it all in well fell swoop with convenience and flexibility.

I do use the Live View remote with this and have done already a number of Amazon Product reviews with it on the table clamp seen in my video review - nice, broad 120 degree view of my table with a quick release plate attached and the BLARGH flap on the bottom permanently open. A lot less hassle than using the waterproof casing! :)

I strongly recommend this frame for those who do voice narration with their video or just bloody tired of constantly opening the frame up to get to the ports on the bottom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does it's job quite well, January 26, 2014
Case holds the camera in a variety of angles and has the ability to accept a number of 1/4x20 camera mounts.

Not the most precision piece of craftsmanship every made, but it gets the job done, AND at a decent price.

Perhaps the best part is the ability to access the camera's various inputs while still in the case. An act which is impossible in the waterproof case.

1.0 out of 5 stars POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP, i ordered a replacement due to existing ..., November 9, 2014
POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP, i ordered a replacement due to existing crack around the screw where you attach the tripod, guess what? same crack, same pattern, i don't trust this accessory to put up my sports cam.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money., March 5, 2014
Great idea. Poor workmanship. Bracket only worked for a day and then it broke. Would not recommend using outdoors, indoor use only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best benefits - Side Mount, January 22, 2015
Best benefits - Side Mount, Exposed Camera for cooling in high temp environment, Open port on bottom for connections as well as charging, Easy open feature.
This kit works great inside a car. I use it along with Proforma PFVCTSC1 Suction Cup Mount for SONY ACTION CAM, which is also on Amazon, to mount inside the windshield. Firmware update 3.0 allows USB power use and Flip View record.
I set the camera to 720p, 30 FPS, Flip View, 60 seconds Auto OFF, set it inside the skeleton case, plug in MicroUSB with Right Hand Turn for power. I use it as a traffic camera on normal driving for insurance purposes, which is a good idea in the ice and snow. I also use it for Autocross even where I record it for the runs.
Weakness - The Lens are exposed if you drop it, The Rear cover may slightly slide, causing the Record button to not operate, have to use finger nails to reach the Forward, Reverse selections because they are in a corner of the opening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Skeleton Frame for Sony Action Cam, May 22, 2014
depot90 (Ewa Beach, HI, US) - See all my reviews
Very good product for the Sony AS30 camera. Gives versatility to different usage and attachment options. I recommend to others