Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony Alpha a5000 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 16-50mm OSS Lens (Black)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Color: Black|Style: w/ 16-50mm|Configuration: Base|Change

on November 9, 2014
This is an incredible camera and I believe it has the best image quality of any camera for the price.
I used to have the Sony NEX 3n and didn't think it would be worth the upgrade, until I saw my friend's a5000 images and compared them to the Nex 3n. The difference was clearly noticeable. It looks like the new sensor and the new Bionz X imaging processor really do make a difference. I have uploaded some photos at 100% crop for you to compare. The only negative point about this camera is the lcd screen which is not all that great. It lacks sharpness and the viewing angles are pretty bad, but then again it is certainly good enough to check for in-focus images.
The auto focus speed is commendable for a camera with contrast detection, but about the same as the old NEX 3n.
Overall in my opinion sony mirrorless cameras are the best in the market, and the most compelling reason to opt for these instead of the Micro four thirds cameras is the much bigger APC-C sized sensor that especially provide superior low-light performance.
Overall I am happy to pay the extra dough to upgrade over the NEX 3n.
You are Basically getting the same image quality and core features of an a6000 for half the price.
review image review image review image
0Comment|127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2015
So in love. Makes the best camera for vlogs(video blogs). I'm so glad I bought this on sale (December 31, 2014). If you can't afford this now, wait until December or black friday. It was on sale for $250 when I bought it in December. All images attached were shots with the kit lens.
on April 29, 2014
I previously own a Sony NEX5, but had it stolen. I purchased this camera recently and am very pleased. I am very much a novice when it comes to photography and use this camera for photos of family, pets, travel, etc. I didn't want anything complicated, and I mostly use this on the auto setting. It takes beautiful photos, particularly in low light. I rarely need the flash.
on June 30, 2014
it is small, solid stainless steel feeling. Easy carry around, take beautiful color pictures even in low light. Autofocus is challenging.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 7, 2014
I love the wifi, the free remote control app! The 180degree flip screen for selfies. This camera's qualities, feature and sizes are prefect for a mom!!! Prefect size and not too heavy for my handbag! I love it!!!
on December 20, 2014
I absolutely love this camera! I have done some photography here and there, and I have gone through different cameras over the years. I wanted to find a camera that would take amazing pictures yet was light enough and small enough to be convenient to use everywhere I go. This camera is perfect for what I need it for! The picture quality is amazing. The colors are so nice, and the picture quality is crisp. I did a photo shoot recently with this camera, and I was very happy with how the camera performed and how well the pictures came out. I definitely recommend this camera!
review image
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2015
I am absolutely in love with this camera!!! I am a big "instagramer" and I did a ton of research to find the best camera to take pictures of makeup and selfies in general (I know how bad this sounds, but it's part of my job, I work for a skincare/makeup company). This camera is amazing for this purpose because it has a soft flash (level 4 out of 10) so you can use the flash to take a photo of yourself and illuminate your face without it washing you out. Most cameras are level 8-10 in flash intensity which results in a white-cast and washed out look. It also has a soft skin function that is very subtle and makes your skin and hair look luminous and glowing. Also a great all-around camera and good for video.
on January 4, 2016
We just had our one year anniversary with this camera, and we couldn't be happier. This is our first step up from the "point and shoot" realm, and this camera exceeded our expectations in pretty much every respect. It takes beautiful photos in terms of clarity and color. The focus is fast and accurate, although more expensive cameras might get even faster. It's not even in the same ballpark as the photos we get with our phones or with our old point and shoots. The 16-50mm lens was a little limiting in terms of zoom, but we just got the 55-200mm for the holidays and it has really increased our already voluminous photo taking with this camera. Transferring the photos to a phone, tablet, or laptop is way easier than I expected. It sets up a wireless "hotspot" even in places where there is otherwise no internet or network connection, and it transfers quickly and painlessly (you just need to get the app). On top of all of that, it's much smaller and less obtrusive than traditional SLR's. I can't recommend this camera enough.
on April 2, 2016
I really like this camera and am glad I bought it. I am not a professional photographer, but I enjoy photography and require something better than a cell phone camera, but I don't want the expense or bulk of an SLR. I found this camera and it seemed like it would be a great performer while still being small in size and having a good lens out of the box. I have not been disappointed.

The Sony a5000 has a well-built feel. It is solid and slightly heavy for its size. The camera produces fantastic quality photos in a variety of conditions. You need to take the time to learn the camera's various shooting modes and understand the basics of going through the menus. The camera controls and menus are generally intuitive to use. The battery life is very good, and with a 32 GB memory card, I don't worry about running out of storage even when the camera is taking pics at maximum resolution. The flip up display screen does work as advertised and is fine for taking a selfie. The pop-up flash is tiny in size but provides enough light for regular shooting, and plenty of fill light when you need to lighten up a particular shot.

On the negative side, I do have some complaints about this camera. The first drawback is the lack of a viewfinder, which means it can be hard to see the screen when there is bright sun in your eyes or on the screen. Obviously the lack of a viewfinder helps keep this camera's size small, so this is a trade off. One quirk is that right after taking a photo, I will be zooming out to a wide position but the camera will go into a display mode. Pressing the shutter button once quickly puts the camera back shooting mode. This can probably chalked up to "operator error" (using the wrong buttons a the wrong time), but it's annoying. With included lens, the A5000 does not take ultra-close macro photos, but there is a fine work around: Move the camera away from the subject, such as 2 feet away, and then zoom in. This allows the camera to focus on the subject but also get a very close up, focused image. My last complaint is that it is not possible to delete all of the photos at once other than formatting the memory card: The software in the camera only allows for multiple images from the same date to be deleted at once, or you can select multiple images one-by-one and delete them all at once. If you need to delete several days of images (or all images), I'm not sure there is a quick way to do so. I have a Sony video camera has the same problem.

I have not shot enough video with the A5000 to provide any information other than to say that my initial impression is good. I also have not used the wireless features of the camera, so I can't comment on those.
on June 26, 2014
this camera is amazing. i took it with me tio my trip to Hawaii and i took some great pictures effortlessly. wish i had different lens for it but the lens it comes with is perfect for landscape and close up picks.