Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 9, 2013
I needed a new one for a new TV in a family room. I decided on this Sony from Costco based on reviews from the slightly cheaper Samsung model BD-FM59C. Plus this was on sale for $90 vs. regular price of about $113.00. The primary reason I chose this model is several people commented that they returned the Samsung and exchanged for the Sony due to performance issues. I needed a DVD player for Blue-ray, wifi capability and apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video - this Sony model does all of this very well. It was a very easy set up and the menu for the apps is clear, easy to navigate and has quick response to selections. I was also very pleased with the media file support. I put my thumb drive in the front USB port and the player fully supported my mkv format video files I have. Other players I have (Samsung & JVC) do not support sound, video or both and are very slow and frustrating to navigate menus. I am very happy with the Sony BDPBX510 and had fun just exploring some of the many applications installed on this player.
88 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2013
Purchased the Sony BX510 a few days ago. First impressions are very good. I had an older LG 3D Blu-Ray player that kicked the bucket and since I had purchased movies on VUDU and was also my source for my Netflix viewing, I wanted to make sure that any new player had what was important. Was very happy to find that I could stream 3D movies through VUDU, something I couldn't do with my LG and to get an LG with that capabilities, I would've paid twice the price. There are 100+ apps, albeit, some I'll never use, like foreign language, games and such. But there are many that I will use and have already.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2014
Have a 3-year old Sharp BD-HP20 and a 3-year old Sammy BD-C5900. They work fine, but are on the slow side with responsiveness. This one has much better response time on LOADs and the like. Used the wireless for watching Netflix movies, and after 7 or 8 movies, quick loads, and never a dropout. Very pleased with this unit. I guess the newer machines have faster processors, but after having done a bit of research on other currently available newer units, slow response still seems to be an issue. So if you are looking to get past such, this should be a good choice.
on January 6, 2014
The WiFi is fast, there's no lag time in streaming Netflix or Amazon Prime. That is a comparison with the WD Live box I've been using for streaming. Easy to use. Once you set up with your home network, it's a go. Simple, nice price. Great Sony product with a nice price.
on January 15, 2014
I just recently upgraded from my old DVD player to this one. It was sealed strongly in its box, but was still easy enough to open without much difficulty. Upon opening it, I found that the player and all the accessories were comfortably and safely padded. Setup was pretty easy; I had some difficulty in trying to find out how to connect it to my TV, but soon figured out how to with the HDMI cable. After everything was plugged in, I turned it on for the first time. Getting it registered was fast and easy, and soon I was able to enjoy the use of the new Blu-Ray player.
I played several normal DVDs and a Blu-Ray disc on it; the normal DVDs, no matter how low in quality, looked gorgeous with the new player, and much higher in quality compared to a simple DVD player. The Blu-Ray disc I watched looked positively stunning: the colors were really vibrant and beautiful, it looked much sharper than normal DVDs do, and it looked very realistic. No fuzz or anything like just, just gorgeous, life-like picture. Can't say if Blu-Ray 3D looks good with it: my TV doesn't support 3D.
The remote is pretty good, though a little hard to master; when playing a DVD/Blu-Ray disc, you can't use the main play button for when you first start your movie. You need to use the big, round button with the picture of a sun on it to start the disc. It took me a little while to figure this out, but I eventually got the hang of it. Though, this may get a little confusing for some people. Besides that, the rest of the remote is easy to use; just wish that it could control the volume of the TV, which can only be done with the remote that came with the TV.
The apps that come pre-loaded are as good as they would be on any Tablet of Smart phone, perhaps even better. Pandora is pretty to use; finding your favorite artists is no hassle at all with the TV version. And you can find more great music than just what you searched for, too. Though, I wished it came with the feature to filter out tracks with explicit language or other objectionable content. Though, I really don't have a big problem with this.
YouTube really looks well and is easy to use. Its easy to look up your favorite videos, and it doesn't usually show anything inappropriate, though, this is not guaranteed. The video settings are a little tricky, but that can be mastered quickly. I wish though that you had the ability to change the quality as you can on any computer. But this is not a huge problem, since the video really looks good as a general thing. It never lags, an advantage over using a normal computer.
All the other apps do well in there jobs as well; Amazon Instant Video works really well, Netflix is as good as ever, Hulu-Plus works fine, and so on. There are also a few apps for people of other languages that only show channels in that language (Spanish and Russian, and possibly a few others). Though, I don't have cable, and I don't speak Spanish (some Russian, but not enough), so I can't really say if the shows are good or not.
The settings are a little bit unnecessarily tricky to use, i.e some of the settings for the DVDs/Blu-ray discs can be very confusing. Though, after you've used it for a good long while, you should get the complete hang of it.
And now, on some of the hardware: the general build of the player really looks fancy. The curved, pointed design on the top really gives it a feel of class, and looks quite fancy. Its lightweight, and its very small and portable; there aren't so many cords and connections required for it to be connected to a power source and the TV, making it easy to assemble and disassemble it and take it with you. The buttons are strong and won't come out easily; though, I wish that they had thrown in a physical Pause button for in case you loose your remote; there is a Stop button, but it takes longer to get your movie started again. Though, I still have my remote, so this isn't any big bother for me. The player is easy to clean, though its easy to the fingerprints and stuff like that on it, but, as stated before, this is easy to clean and proves to be no bother at all. The cable connections on the back are firm and hold whatever cords plugged into them strongly; there's no loose cord connections here.
The start guide that comes with the player is very detailed and precise, though I wish that it could have more color; some of the instructions for connecting the cables can get quite confusing due to the lake of color. besides this, they are very easy to use and will guide you through the setup and any common problems that you may occur.
I really like how it came with the HDMI cable (the cable that connects your DVD/Blu-Ray player to a flat-screen TV); I've seen other Blu-Ray players that don't some with it, and buying individually can cost anywhere from $10 to $25, depending on the size. But this player comes with a 6' cable. Even though that is one of the smaller sizes, it still works fine for any Play-to-TV connection. Its strong and very well built, and can bend easy without breaking, making it easy for taking it wherever you may need it. This is defiantly a big advantage for this player, and very convenient for any buyer.
Overall, this is probably one of the best Blu-Ray/DVD players that you will find out there. Even though it has some problems (most of them being practical), this player is generally easy to use and is sure to please anybody, and is sure to last a long time, thanks to its strong build. Beautiful movie graphics, well-written software, nice build, and much more. All of this really makes it a Blu-Ray player in the top class, for sure. Defiantly worth the money.
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2014
Picked this puppy up at Costco for $69 about a week ago and I have zero complaints (unusual for me). This thing is fast on boot, responsive in the menus, and the menus are laid out great. Watch movies from my stick and it is VERY fast at loading them. And to boot it is a great looking unit!
on December 16, 2013
I have had this blue ray player for a few weeks now and really like it. Set up was easy, and I've had no problems with the apps. The reason this is 4 stars rather than 5 is the very small, chintzy remote control that comes with it. Tiny buttons all very close together. If you can use a better remote, this product is pretty near perfect and a terrific value.
on May 12, 2014
For Netflix and internet: sometimes it has hiccups with WIFI but works well most of the time. If you run into any issues, just un plug and replug it then hold the power button down for 20 seconds. Also you can try signing on to another network and then back to yours for it to work. Don't bother getting this to surf the internet, it is kind of cumbersome but is a great bluray and Netflix unit.
on October 31, 2013
I was pleased with how easy to follow the instructions were. It works as advertised. I am not a techno-geek so I cannot provide details that contrast it with others of its kind. I have no complaints and am completely satisfied with it so far.
on September 10, 2014
Though I didn't even check before purchasing, I was pleased to find that this BD player has a USB jack I can use as a media player. I plug a 128 GB stick in there and the BDP-BX510 works as a perfect media player for videos, music, etc. I only own one BD, and it played fine. It plays DVDs well too.

Pros:
Syncs well w/ my Sony HT-XT1 sound bar, which was unexpected and nice
Plays USB media, BD, DVD,CD, etc.
Wifi connected for additional media options (Netflix, etc.)
Remote isn't over-complicated
Price is right
Has 3D if I ever want to use it (unlikely)

Cons:
Takes a while to boot, but I'm told this is common for BD players (vs DVD players)
Doesn't support HEVC/h.265. It's 2016. Come on with the update, already!