Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sony BDP-S1100 Blu-ray Disc Player (Certified Refurbished)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 16, 2013
What a steal! It's great to have an internet-abled blu-ray player without spending an arm and a leg.

Pros: Set up was incredibly easy. I love the "Netflix" button on the remote. Makes it easy and quick for my kids to get a cartoon going. It was packaged perfectly. I like the remote, too. I think I'm switching to using it for everything and retiring the cheap-looking remote I got from Comcast.

Cons: This doesn't come with an HDMI cord or LAN cord. I had both, so it didn't bother me, but if you don't realize it, you're in for disappointment.
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2013
This is a great introductory item at a low price. You won't eleven notice it is a factory refurb.

This machine does exactly what it is expected to do. You don't get anything fancy in this box but you also aren't paying for anything fancy.

This is a sony refurb but there is no way to tell. It is a perfectly functioning device.

If you have a second room that you want a blu ray player in then this is what you need. This player is very pretty for something so cheap but it doesn't look it.

I am probably being too hard on this by saying that it is a 'second room' device. I'm sure a majority of people would even do very well having this as a primary no frills device. This is perfect for so many people.

Pros

Great picture
Easy to use
internet content
Attractive discount player
Able to stream Sony Content
Perfect as a second player

Cons

No wifi
No 3D
No Divx support
No 4K upscaling
1 HDMI port

Great item. There's really no way to tell it was a refurb.
on December 17, 2013
When I opened the box, I couldn't even tell this product was refurbished. It works exactly like a new one, and it worked the moment I tried starting it up. I would recommend this to anyone looking to a great product who just wants to save money.
on November 18, 2013
Small footprint. Loads dvd and blu ray very fast. DVDs do not look as good as the HD DVD player it replaced. I use the front USB port to play home videos from a hard drive, it seems to play almost everything (HDV, AVCHD, MP4, WMV)' but some types of wmv did not play. No wifi, only LAN. Only HDMI and coax audio out,thats all, 4 buttons in front, simple box.
Addendum: connecting the box to internet opens a huge amount of streaming material, including old documentaries, asian movies, Outside Magazine videos, extreme sports. simply an amazing amount of stuff that I will never get around to watching. You need good internet (better than DSL) for good performance with this material.
on December 26, 2013
Our TV has built in internet apps... we don't need the DVD to deliver Wi-Fi.... this DVD is basic, with the addition of Blue-Ray.... just what the doctor ordered. We purchased an Amazon basic HTMI cable to go with it - and we're set. We saved a little being it's factory refurbished... which I've never had a problem with when buying TVs, Computers, Routers, Camera etc.... same warranty......
on October 24, 2013
Love, love, love blu-ray. I admit, I was among those who thought that blu-ray was all hype. When I purchased the Harry Potter Wizard's Collection, I realized that I needed blu-ray, but I wasn't willing to spend a ton of money... my solution - SONY. Since the early 1970s SONY has never let me down. A same-year, but refurbished Sony at less than half the price of new fit the bill! Love it!
66 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2014
Although the world is moving towards Netflix and the like, there are still benefits to having a dedicated Blu Ray player. First of all, the video quality of streaming still can't match that of Blu Ray. Second, not everything is available on Netflix, especially the new releases. Third, there are still some who want to own a collection of their favorite films.

With all that said, this unit is especially versatile because it comes with Netflix and Amazon Prime built in. Once you plug in your ethernet cable for internet connection (this is not wireless but I knew that when I bought it) access to Netflix and Amazon Prime is simple. If you've ever owned a PS3, you should be quite familiar with the menu system. The cool thing about this unit is how well it integrates with your HD TV. For example, once you turn on the unit, the TV automatically switches to the appropriate HDMI input. Pretty cool.

If I have to raise one complaint with the unit, it is that the volume is somewhat low. Its minor but it should be noted. Otherwise, this is an excellent Blu Ray player.
on December 16, 2013
Best blu-ray player I have ever used. It loads fast and has lots of apps for streaming movies and TV shows.
on December 27, 2013
Knew in advance that this item was Ethernet only and did not support WiFi. This was fine for me. The player was very easy to set up, the menus are easy to follow. DVDs and Blu-Rays load fast.
on March 11, 2015
For the price, this is an excellent machine! My so-called refurbished purchase is essentially brand new. Thanks, DealFisher!

I subtracted one star because the remote is not laid out very well and I would have liked an analog audio output. Also the physical design of the machine is a little silly. It looks cool, but you can't stack other components on top of it and the buttons are designed more for looks than for ease of pressing. But you can't beat the price, and it plays discs flawlessly. It also hooks up to the internet in a snap and works great for YouTube and Amazon Video. Oh, and it plays all manner of files from an external hard drive via the USB port with no problems whatsoever. Quite the sleek and powerful little entertainment machine!

One tip for people who care about aspect ratios and hate stretch-o-vision: when I first hooked this up, I was dismayed to find that I was unable to watch any 4:3 DVDs (i.e. old TV shows and pre-widescreen movies) at the correct aspect ratio. The player was squashing the 4:3 content into 16:9, despite my TV setting being correct, and despite 4:3 Blu-Rays working just fine. At first I assumed this was not fixable since none of the buttons on the remote did anything to change aspect ratio.
Then I discovered that there is an extensive "system settings" menu that is controlled entirely on screen by pressing the "home" button and navigating to "settings". From there I had to change picture mode to "normal", and then, voila! everything displayed in it's correct, original aspect ratio.