Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

on January 29, 2012
This was my first blu-ray purchase and it's got a lot of things going for it. Super compact size, great value, awesome picture. But I was sad to discover that it doesn't stream closed-captioning on Netflix. For those of us who rely on subtitles, this is a major bummer. Back in the box it goes and returning to Amazon :(
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 2, 2011
I am thankful I didn't read the reviews before I purchased this device. I own a Sony Bravia TV and wanted another Sony player to go along with my HDTV. The biggest compliment I got was from my husband, "out of all the purchases you made this past weekend (Black Friday), the blu-ray is the best one." It streams Netflix (no skips so far). It plays Netflix DVDs. It plays all my blu-ray discs (old ones and new ones). The load time is quite fast. Netflix streaming quality is superb! No blurry images on my HDTV whatsoever. It looks like I'm watching a blu-ray disc -- any animated show my daughter watches looks brilliant and smooth. I agree with the post that the light that tells you if the unit is on or off is at the top of the player, but I don't really care because if it's on, it's on (who cares if I can't see the light? if I don't see anything on the TV it means the player is off, right?). Great low price for this cool player. Oh, and it also offers other apps for viewing movies (some are 100% free) and Amazon instant video app is included too. My sister paid over $100 for a Panasonic player that included the Amazon app. Hurray for me! I have other Sony products: Vaio, Reader, Speakers, Headphones, Clock Radio etc. and I still think the Sony quality is the best.
on September 14, 2012
I gave this device along with a year subscription to Netflix to my parents for their combined Birthdays... My Children watch Netflix on their Xbox and Wii respectively and I watch on my Laptop, Kindle Fire and PS3 so I know what a smooth interface looks like and while I like some systems better than others the Interface used between this device, its remote control, and Netflix, is CLUMSY to put it mildly and God forbid you need to rewind (good luck). Even if I could "put up" with that disappointing interface, I called Sony just now to ask why I could not find a way to access Subtitles/ CC for the hard of hearing I was informed that the Device does not support subtitles on Netflix... It was recommended that I try The Sony BDPS 590 which right now seems to be running at abt $90 on Amazon so not too many dollars more for a feature my parents in their 60s need and I consider its absence to be a deal breaker.. I just wish they had advertised it as such so I didn't waste my with this model at all... Agghhh I hope my parents have't thrown the box away! Sony BDP-S185 Blu-Ray Disc Player
on December 26, 2011
This Blu-Ray player does exactly what I want it to do: play blu-rays and play back 1080p MKV files on an NTFS-formatted hard drive. Since most blu-ray players with USB only support FAT32 format, the file sizes are limited to 4 GB which prevents most 1080p movies from being played. I am extremely happy with the performance of this unit at this price point. Sure, there isn't an LCD screen on the front, but those screens are useless for the most part. Also, I was impressed about the small size of the unit, it's about a 1/3 of my older player the BDP-S360. Lastly, for backward compatibility there is a composite A/V output on the back, as well as a coaxial digital audio output, HDMI, and wired Ethernet. System update downloaded and installed quickly. Now let's hope it lasts!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2011
First of all: This has to be connected by cable to one's router to connect to the Internet. It can NOT connect via WiFi. That said, I have to state that I am almost completely happy with my BDP-S185 player.

It plays DVD and Blu-Ray disks very well, with no problems so far. The remote does have an open/close button (eject) on it, unlike my other Sony Blu-Ray player.

I have used it for vudu, NetFlix and Hulu Plus on the Internet with no problems. Each of these services come with trials with purchase of this player. It can connect to many other Internet services.

I have to agree with one other reviewer that the power light being on the top of the unit is irritating. It is hard to know whether it is on or off. If you are like my wife and are irritated by lights on the front of electronics, you may appreciate the power light being on top where it isn't as noticeable.

It is a much smaller size than my other Sony player, which is a plus. It is also half the price that I paid for my other Sony player (and it doesn't have Internet apps).

Its remote does not have a QWERTY keyboard on the bottom like the Visio I bought and had to take back because it didn't work. I wish it had such a keyboard. Selecting alpha characters to search for titles using the included remote is tedious. I suppose that is true with most such players.

It would be nice if it had WiFi capabilities, but it wasn't designed to so I didn't take any stars off for that.

It has a USB port on the front. I inserted a USB adapter with an inserted SD card in it into the USB port. It displayed the photos on the SD card quite well. They looked really good on the large TV screen. The only possible negative I saw was that it displayed the file name, date and time of each photo across the top of the photo, overwriting part of the image. I don't know if it can be turned off.

All in all, I am very please with my purchase and feel that at the current price it is a great bargain. Just keep in mind that it will NOT work on WiFi.
on April 14, 2012
I bought this Bluray player because it was a Sony and I had past experience streaming content with a PS3. This is best used as a Bluray Player i.e to watch DVD's. The rest of the features on this are pretty much let downs. It takes at least ten minutes to get any of the other features to load and half the time the sytem will not connect to Netflix one of the features my family uses very often. We have reverted back to the ps3 for that. I would not recommend this system for anything other than a bluray. Don't waste your time or money if you plan to stream. Mind you the system reccommends a 10meg broadband link which I don't have, but my PS3 loads it's content instantly and so does my laptop, while to get to the netflix screen takes at least 10 minutes on this, Watching a little ball go round in circles for ten minutes to finally gedt to Netflix and than have to wait another 5 to get the movie to load if it loads at all isn't what I thought I'd get from a sony. But hey I nought this for like $70 so what did I expect. Big let down would not buy again
on May 9, 2012
I've been very impressed with this video player. I have a PS3 that over the years has changed from primarily a games machine to primarily a video machine. My wife and I use it for Blurays, DVDs, digital video rentals, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu in lieu of cable. The PS3 is quite capable but it is very loud. The fans on the PS3 are so loud I can't hear dialog unless I turn the TV up very loud, and then action sequences are too loud requiring the volume be quickly lowered. After realizing how much the constant volume fiddling was ruining movies I decided I needed something else.

I originally planned on an Apple TV as I have a lot of Apple stuff and I think they make the best products. The problem for me was that not everything is available on iTunes. A lot of stuff is on iTunes, maybe a majority of stuff, but some things are only available on Bluray and DVD. I really wanted something that could do digital video rentals, and streaming from Netflix and Amazon, and that could also play optical discs. The Sony BDP-S185 does all of that.

From a raw feature list perspective the BDP-S185 is pretty close to perfect. It comes with multiple options for movie rentals including Sony's store, Vudu, CinemaNow, and Amazon. It has plenty of streaming options like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus. It also has internet content such as podcasts and Youtube. There's a whole bunch of other niche internet video services available on it, most of which I haven't heard of or played with; still, it is content and some of it may be good. It offers multiple music services including Sony's own subscription service, Slacker, Pandora, and I think some others. It can also do some stuff with playing video files and displaying photos. I will never use the music, photos, or video file features so none of those matter to me nor have I reviewed their functionality. And of course DVD and Bluray playback are perfect.

While the device is complete feature-list win it is much more on the mediocre-to-crappy axis on the user experience side. This is the part that makes me wish Apple just sold an AppleTV with a Bluray drive. Setting the device up and updating it is awkward. Getting the device updated took multiple tries as it kept failing for no reason. There are a lot of services, but they all require different accounts and activation methods. I was able to figure it out but it was a pain in the butt. Less technically inclined folks may never get use out of the additional features as it is a lot of leg work to activate the system, and set up a Sony account, and activate Hulu, and activate Netflix, and activate Amazon, etc, etc, all with their own sites, instructions, and logins. The user interface is familiar thanks to it being like the PS3, but unlike the PS3 it is jerky and slow. The "apps" I guess you could call them are also pretty jerky and slow. Not unusably slow, it isn't really laggy, it is more like very low frames per second. Entering text with the goofy 90s-text-messaging style on-screen keyboard is horrifying and should be avoided at all costs.

All-in-all it is a good device with a lot of functionality. Until I started shopping around I didn't realize that Bluray players like this did more than play disks; this player and others like it are more like an Apple TV or Roku than the single-purpose DVD players of yore. The user interface and experience leave a lot to be desired but that is pretty much the norm for every device not made by Apple so I kind of expected that. I would definitely recommend the S185 if you are looking for a whisper-quiet multi-function video device that plays optical disks. If you don't need Bluray or DVD playback I'd recommend an Apple TV over it. If you are religiously averse to Apple products and only shop by feature lists I would recommend the S185 over a Roku or Boxy or other non-Apple video player because it has a Bluray drive. Even with the mediocre user experience considered I still give this device 4 our of 5 stars because it offers a ton of great functionality, has been reliable, is quiet, and is very inexpensive.
on September 18, 2012
Using this unit is unbearable. I am a big fan of streaming instant video, so I use Netflix, Amazon, Youtube, etc. I made the swap from a PS3, so I had a generally positive experience with Sony products, as well as their ability to stream content from the Internet. I ran a wired connection to the blu ray player, and have run network diagnostics tests a thousand times. When I first bought the player, I configured the connection settings, updated the unit, synced all my accounts, the whole nine yards. It refuses to access any of the streaming programs, and will not even give me an error message. The player just goes back to the main menu as if I did not click an icon. Heed the warning of the previous one-star posters. Choose another player.
on January 30, 2012
When I saw that the reviews of the BDP-BX18 were considerably lower than the BDP-S185 I just had to write this.
They're both the SAME PLAYER.
The BX18 is simply the S185 packaged for big-box discount stores with an HDMI cable included in the box.
That's the only difference.
Do a websearch for the BX18 manual and you'll see that it's the same manual for both. Both model numbers are even on the manual's cover page.
The Amazon description incorrectly states that the BX18 has two USB ports, one in front and one in back, but that is incorrect. There is only the one USB port in the front, exactly like the S185.
The Amazon description also fails to mention the included HDMI cable but it's a nice bonus. If you're considering the two and if the prices are close then you may as well go for the BX18 and get the free cable.
And for those familar with the Sony SMP-N100 Media Player, the interface on this Blu-Ray player is essentially the same.
We replaced our SMP-N100 with the BX18 and now we have all the same media streaming functionality but with a Blu-Ray player as well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 20, 2012
I purchased the BDP-S185 on impulse right before Xmas to go with my new Samsung 40" flat screen. I was immediately impressed. The menu system and functionality of the "smart" features really blew-away the Samsung Smart TV. So, I went and got a BDP-S580 for my in-laws (they needed wireless). Got to their house and gave it to them for Xmas. Installed it, and Netflix just wouldn't stream. Play for 2 min., pause, retrieve content for 1 minute. Play for 2 min, pause for 1 min. Repeat. Thought it was the wireless. They had some other network issues. Bought and installed a new router. Fixed the other problems but not the Netflix streaming. Returned the Sony and bought a Samsung. Everything worked fine. Got home, started to use my Sony BDP-S185, THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. This is hardwired!. It shows that I have a > 5 Mbps connection (we actually have 15 Mbps Internet). I have a 3 year old Samsung that you can put side-by-side and it has no problem. So, there is a problem. Blu-rays and DVDs seem fine; but if you want to stream, I would avoid Sony BDP's.