Questions & Answers
Sony BDPS790 4K Upscaling 3D Wi-Fi Blu-ray Disc Player
by Sony
4.0 out of 5 stars (331)
Used & New from: $329.99
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 156 questions
vote
Hello Joseph..... I hope this info helps: The back of the Sony BDP-S790 is its most interesting part. Here, you'll find not one but two HDMI outputs, an Ethernet network port, an additional USB port, optical and coaxial digital audio, as well as a set of backup composite audio/video connectors. The BDP-S790 has Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n built in. Sony 3D Blu-ray player Ports on the rear of the BDP-S790, including two HDMI outputs. The dual HDMI output is an interesting feature. Its advantage is in making it possible to connect an A/V receiver or home theatre system with one HDMI port, and using the other port to send an unadulterated HDMI signal to your TV or home theatre projector. If you've got an A/V receiver that won't pass through 3D video, for example, this is a big selling point. Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/digital-home/3371416/sony-bdp-s790-3d-blu-ray-player-review/#ixzz2e2qHvxBW
Sep 5, 2013 by Patriot One
vote
There is no 4K blu-ray standard. A 4K HDTV will convert any current source material to 4K. Any blu-ray material is 1080p even though it may be "mastered" or remastered in 4K. This Sony has 4K upscaling which is of zero practical use because at 4K it may not sync with a 1080p TV or a 4K TV will upscale to 4K anyway (because it is fixed pixel).
Aug 21, 2014 by Sui Lin Chee
vote
Recommended download speed for "HD" is 10mbs (maybe 5-10mbs); need 1.5mbs for SD. Use your laptop to test speed of LAN wired or wi-fi (unplug wire to test wi-fi). Use a website like speedtest.org to find download speed. If you don't have 1.5mbs, streaming will be very iffy. Walk your laptop to where you would place the streaming device for the speed test - run it several times to get a set of readings. The S790 is a high quality blu-ray & DVD playback unit; its outstanding feature is the dual core processor that loads video streaming MUCH faster -- it loads about 5x faster than my $130 Panasonic 215 & 220 for video streaming and there is less PQ switching. The S790 was worth $230, and at $200, a good bargain although most people can't believe the price difference is worth the faster steaming. It's hard to suggest buying the S790 until you know your wi-fi bandwidth. If you have 5-10mbs, the S790 will stream very well, in my experience with this Sony and 2 basic Panasonic models.
Nov 11, 2013 by Sui Lin Chee
vote
Sony BDPS790 Blu-Ray Player not honoring External subtitle and closed caption for all video streams. It supports External Subtitile only for AVI video format. Sony support keeps big silence for this kind of queries.
Jan 4, 2014 by Vijayan Thanasekaran
votes
HDMI Output(s) : 2 (Rear) Dual output for multiple output or AV seperation mode Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear) Digital Audio Output(s) : 1 Optical (Rear); 1 Coxial (Rear) Analog Audio 2ch Output(s) : 1 (Rear) Ethernet Connection(s) : 1 (Rear) USB Input(s) : 2 (1 Rear/ 1 Front)
Apr 22, 2013 by p5browne
votes
The BDPS790 3D is a good player for 3D movies but you need a good 3d hi def tv and also a paired 3d glasses.
Apr 24, 2014 by V. Woo
votes
I have a dual-band router... the Asus "Dark Knight" router (a VERY nice router). It has both 5.0 and 2.4 bands on "n" wireless. My BD device only sees the 2.4 band. In fact, I only have a couple of devices which can see my "5.0" channel. In those cases, I always connect them to the 5.0 band, because it's so seldom used otherwise.
Feb 4, 2013 by Cary L. Brown
votes
I haven't found the browser function to work all that well on any of my Sony Blu Ray players. Probably due to lack of Flash support
Nov 10, 2013 by John A. Archer
votes
OK I found this on the operating manual and I do not believe it will play mp3 on DVD disc. From the manual: Discs that cannot be played * BDs with cartridge * BDXLs * DVD-RAMs * HD DVDs * DVD Audio discs * PHOTO CDs * Data part of CD-Extras * Super VCDs * Audio material side on DualDiscs * A disc recorded in a color system other than NTSC, such as PAL (this player conforms to the NTSC color system).
Jan 11, 2014 by B Derringer
votes
Hi there, It is not capable doing subtitle shift. - Jerome
22 days ago by Sony Support USA  MANUFACTURER 
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   16   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers