4.0 out of 5 stars Great System for the Price, Very Good Sound!
Published 16 months ago by R. Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars About as pleasant as a Kidney Stone
Published 8 months ago by Desthro

4.0 out of 5 stars Great System for the Price, Very Good Sound!, July 18, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with Built-In Wi-Fi (Electronics)
Recently got a Sharp 3D LED Smart TV and could no longer stand limiting myself to DVD. I went into my research with quite a few requirements the most important being the speakers needed to be hung using my existing threaded speaker mounts. This is the only sub $300 systems i could find that can be hung using threaded speaker mounts. Unfortunately in Sony's quest to make set up as easy as possible the speaker wires are hard wired to the speakers. I have surround sound pre-wired in my house and was forced to splice connections for it to work. Just kind of silly that they would have threading to mount but then have the cables hard wired. Sony's easy set up is great for novices but can cause some extra work for those with a bit more experience. This wasn't a deal breaker but it is the reason I only gave it 4 stars.
The next requirement I had was to leverage the HDMI linking functionality (BRAVIA Link by Sony, AQUAS Link by Sharp, Viera Link by Panasonic) which allows you to control TV and surround sound system with 1 remote. Before I found a killer deal on my Sharp TV I was going to go the Panasonic route, but I cannot pass up a good deal. This meant I would have to either use a sharp surround sound or pay $$$$ for a harmony remote. Getting a Sharp surround sound was out as they do not offer Blu-ray/Surround sound in 1. Before dropping a whole bunch of money for the Harmony remote I decided to see what would happen when I hooked everything up and to my great surprise the link function worked. This allows me to control the volume and power on and off the system. It also automatically switches TV inputs when I put in a Blu-ray or DVD. Essentially my surround sound system has become my TV speakers without me having to push any extra buttons, ever! I can control everything I need using the DirecTV remote.
I am very pleased with the quality of sound produced by the system though audio from the TV link is at a lower level than audio from the Blu-ray or other sources.
Comparing with my new Smart TV the GUI overall does not seem quite as polished. Despite this, I am very pleased with the huge amount of streaming options available on this system. There are at least double the options compared with my new Sharp Smart TV (including Amazon). I'll take content over polish any day!
I am still trying to work out exactly how to utilize the NFC connection for streaming audio. I've been able to do it a few times but I have not been able to wake the system out of standby mode using my NFC Smartphone. Generally I'm pleased with the Bluetooth audio streaming function. It is much more convenient to than using the native Pandora or other streaming music players allowing you complete control without requiring you to have your TV on.
Great Job Sony!

9/25/13 Update

So I've had my Sony for a few months now and am still very pleased with it. Just a few things that I have experienced: Sometimes the audio link between my Sharp TV and the Sony gets confused (audio will play from both TV and surround sound or no audio from either). It isnt really a big deal I just have to turn both TV and Sony off and then restart and the issue is fixed. Happens maybe once every 2-3 weeks (usually because my kids are playing with the remotes).
Because my Audio is linked with my tv the receiver is never really "off" it just goes into standby mode. Start up is very quick but the shut down into standby mode seems to take quite a while, sometimes 30 seconds or so. Not a huge deal, just kinda annoying when my 5 year old turns off the sony while i'm still watching TV. Takes almost a min to get everything back up and running.
A month or two ago I had an issue with the Sony not being able to connect Netflix. It would error out even before getting to a log in screen. For a few weeks I ran netflix through my Smart TV but it really sucked as there was no way to route the sound to my sony. Tried a few things and finally got it fixed by resetting my TV to factory specs. I'm not sure why re-setting my TV fixed my surround sound netflix connection issues but it did. I have not had any Netflix issues since. works great!
Very pleased with the TV SideView: Remote by Sony app for my android phone. Recently the Sony remote was lost (yes my my 5 year old hid it; are you sensing a theme here...) spent about 10 min looking for it because I wanted to watch netflix (my direcTV remote will do everything i need for watching tv and blurays but will not navigate very well in the streaming apps) and then I remembered that I had the remote app. It works perfectly and does everything the real remote can do and allows you to enter text. Used the app for the next week until I was able to get my 5 year old to tell me where he hid the real remote.

Overall I am still very very happy with the Sony. Works very well streaming, playing BluRays and DVDs and even 3D blurays/directv 3d content (haven't done this too much). Still a wonderful unit!

8/11/2014 Update
Recently moved and spent about 4 hours connecting my "in wall" surround sound set up (thanks again for hard wiring the cables to the speakers Sony). Anyway, heat shrink is a great thing. I no longer have DirecTV but the same setup with the Bravia link works with my HD DVR from the cable company.
I did have an issue with the audio being off when watching Blu Rays and especially DVDs. My understanding is it is a delay caused by tv processing, but some quick minor adjustments to the BDV-e3100 A/V sync feature fixed it. Also, if you happen to lose the remote (thanks kids) and you wife does not want to use the sony app it is not available on Sony's web site. You will have to call and it will set you back about $30 when you add in shipping and tax. Still very happy with the system. Works perfectly for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger sound than the Cost, January 2, 2014
Not too long ago, the sound system I had in my living room started to die. It was time for a new system, and I did my research. I ended up coming down to this system and the higher-end Sony system the 7100W as my choices. At the end of the day I went with this one given taking into account some personal concerns noted in other reviews - 1 HDMI hookup, for tv the max volume caps out, and that it is wired.

I feel compelled to write this because in my research, I spent a lot of times looking at other reviews, and per my rating, my worries were allayed.

Set up:
My family room is not that large, and there is only an area rug, which all leads to sound traveling and not being absorbed. It is also not too huge. I was able to set up my tv, my cable, and my xbox to the system. Note: a digital optical cable is needed. So, I set up the 3100 to the tv via hdmi. I then used my optical cable for the sound system to cable. I have a jerry rigged xbox with an hdmi feed to the tv, and RC cable for sound; the latter was also plugged into the sound system. So, my concern in having only one hdmi hook up disappeared quickly.

I was then able to set up the front side speakers to the front of my room, and then place the surround speakers to the sides of my couch against the walls. It is an awesome set up. To give an obvious spoiler, Sony has the settings to simulate surround sound 5.1 with rc cables (2 channels). My xbox sounds amazing with the system, and if that can sound that good with rc cables, you can imagine it boding well for the other connections. I know that nothing fully compares to hdmi for sound, but the technology for Sony is so good all the same, that I am not losing sleep. Blue Tooth sounds really strong as well. My GF and set up our phones and streamed a few songs with clear treble and deep bass - we were both very happy.

Running the system is rather easy as well. You can go through many options with intuitive ease.

Sound/volume:

Per other suggestions, the volume does run lower on tv settings as opposed to the blu ray, and even rc audio hookup. However, I can't put the sound system up to full volume in my place without it simply sounding too loud. One other great feature of good surround sound, when it is all around you, you don't need it to be super loud.

I would consider myself a bit of a sound geek, and I spent a lot of time (because I'm ocd that way) tweeking the speaker settings as well as going through the different EQ settings. I love good treble as well as bass, so I usually have my setting on the music setting with the Rock EQ pre-setting. And like other reviews, the bass is damned good for a submissive subwoofer. I had a jbl bass20 before, which could bring it, and I have to say the transition is good. The sound clarity rocks.

Picture:

I put in the Dark Knight on a regular dvd, to see the scalability with the layering technology, and what they say is true. Regular dvds to in fact look hd, like around 720p.

All in all, I'm more than happy. I went into buying this system with good reviews, but was still surprised at how good it sounds and how well it runs.

If you're looking for the surround system and you are ok with it wired, you should get this without hesitation. If you do have a huge room, maybe a lot of carpet and want wireless speakers, I'd recommend trying the Sony high-end versions, 7100w and the 8100w. I can say for my living room layout, that this system is more system than I need, and I'm fine with that. So far I would say that the quality far exceeds the price, which is also why I figure that the high end versions have to be phenomenal.

I highly recommend this system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with WI-FI, October 2, 2013
Best. Purchase. Ever. Very good performance, i really enjoy this theater system. You don't need to have a wi-fi connection to have fun with this but it sure is a plus as there is way more entertainment available if you are very bored. Make sure you're wi-fi internet speed is of optimal performance tho. This device is compatible with 3D Blu-ray discs, Regular Blu-ray discs, Any DVDs, and any music CDs. The Bluetooth and NFC features on this is something i fell in love with as it gives you 2 ways of connecting your smartphone or whatever device has Bluetooth or NFC capabilities wirelessly. Jam to your tunes and vids wirelssly! You can even sync your mobile youtube account with the device and stream videos. The sound system is another plus as it has great sound quality. I like the flexibility and features this Sony device has. I recommend this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, December 3, 2013
Damn this system booms, and I'm writing this as I'm listening to it. Awesome sound quality as always from Sony products. Love the fact that it has a built in internet browser and access to almost 30 different Sony Apps. Great system for the money, 1000 watts, I mean come on and I got this for just $184 through Amazon warehouse deals with free shipping ZERO TAX ADDED TO THE PRICE and it shipped for free. I feel like I've got the best system around and it makes me really want to listen to music the way it was intended, I haven't even popped in my first Blu ray video but I know that the film quality will shock me as much as the sound, I mean come on its a Sony! Thank you AMAZON. Oh and did I mention the shipping only took 2 1/2 days. I think ill be shopping online a hell of a lot more after this for my big purchases. GOD BLESS THE INTERNET AND AMAZON!

5.0 out of 5 stars It only does everything..., July 27, 2013
Beside playing blu rays also stream your media from PCs, play media out of USB drives including mkv movies. Also has netflix and Amazon Instant. Sound is really good also. I highly recommend this unit.

1.0 out of 5 stars About as pleasant as a Kidney Stone, March 5, 2014
Well, first things first. Sony has had a reputation in the past for manufacturing things with non-standard ports, memory and other things. This is no different. (I suppose I should have done more research.) Each speaker comes with its own "special" audio cable and male port adapter so it can plug into the custom interface on the back of the player. Since it doesn't use standard speaker connections, (either optical or wired), I had to spend an hour or two cutting apart the wires and splicing them together so I could use real speaker wiring instead of the flimsy junk connected to their speakers. (Looks like I voided my manufacturer's warranty too.) If you have a home with wiring that is pre-installed for surround sound, don't get these speakers. You will only be annoyed and disappointed as you spend time shipping it back for a refund and then waiting to get a different getup.

Once that was completed, hanging up the speakers was simple, I have nails with broad heads so they hang easily on my wall. Pushpins also worked well for the center speaker. They have screw posts for floor mounts as well.

The interface takes a little getting used to, and some of the sections have huge amounts of options, its amazing. I haven't figured out how to customize the volume output of each speaker if your speaker positioning isn't "perfect" and requires some modification. Setting up the WiFi was a breeze, creating accounts and logging on to various services was easy as well. The system is also fairly responsive, a definite + compared to my previous product owned. Only downside is, it only supports DLNA for file sharing, and DLNA is a Pain-In-The-Booty in my opinion. An option to use standard network file-sharing would be great.

So after that was all done, I decided to watch a film. The audio quality was good, I'm not an audiophile so as long as it works and I don't detect any distortions or compression, clipping, we're good.

There was one annoying issue with the device so far, and it's that the fan that is installed in the device is /loud./ It doesn't run all the time, but when it runs for a brief moment to cool the components, you can hear a very distinctive whirring noise, especially during quieter scenes. (This is from more than 5 feet away!) Considering this, I am highly, highly annoyed with that, and I hope I'll learn to ignore it as time goes on, or avoid watching DVDs/Blu-Ray Discs in it.

This is only within a few hours of ownership, I hope I don't find any more nasty surprises.

---Two Months of Ownership Later---
This device is missing a ton of codecs for playing back video via USB, several videos that you can view on your PC will simply not play on this device because it is "Corrupt or Unsupported." (I'm voting for the latter.) There was also an interesting issue where my USB drive would not get mounted/loaded into the system once inserted. A complete reboot solved that problem... Every time. (A recent update may have fixed that though, Kudos to Sony.) Another note, it's file playback manager is terrible, there are no shuffle features for music playback, no playlist generation and DLNA is woefully bad for this purpose as well. (I've made playlists and every other DLNA capable device sees them and uses them, but this Home Theater System, nope.) Other than the fact that it sucks as a semi-complete home media solution, (can't watch lots of your own videos or stream "unsupported" video formats to your PC with DLNA (which is growing more and more useless...) it runs well at the very least. Still haven't found the other options I was looking for, though that's probably because I am spending all of my time trying to find acceptable workarounds to view the files I have on my brand-new (but decidedly poor), Home Theater System. (As an example, to get a "shuffled" playlist to play on it, I had to generate a randomly generated sequence of numbers from random.org and then rename all of the files I wanted to play on a USB drive...) Only took me two hours to figure out after monkeying around and discovering it's limitations.

Bottom line, find a different product that isn't produced by a company that has a financial interest in forcing limitations upon their hardware, and thusly you. Support any other company that will provide you with a superior product overall. Even if you have to put up with a little menu stutter here and there, it will be a more positive experience than I have had with this device. My difficulties with it have only compounded since I bought it, and so the device has gotten downgraded to one star.

I can only hope that this information serves to dissuade others from purchasing this in the hopes that they can get a decent home theater system for a fair price.

---8 Months---
There is also a fascinating issue with the DVD/Blu-Ray playback, when a disc is inserted and being watched, the system will spontaneously crash and reboot. I suspect it is because the device doesn't have proper cooling to handle everything, (imagine that, Sony cutting corners here too...) resulting in overheating which forces the system to reboot to avoid critical component damage. Kind of useless as a DVD/Blu-Ray player if it reboots every 15 minutes... Sony support is likely going to be effectively

1.0 out of 5 stars Completely Inadequate volume, March 24, 2014
I read mixed reviews but went ahead and bought this home theater system thinking Sony wouldn't let me down. I was wrong. The sound quality is ok after ALOT of adjustments. Some reviewers recommended how to adjust the volume and surround for optimum sound & I tried every possible option. Accessing the sound settings then going back to listen & check what you've just adjusted was ridiculous & the overall volume is completely inadequate. Given today's technology, a home theater system shouldn't take that much time & effort to get decent sound out of it, I don't care how much you pay.
I didn't even purchase this for all the bells & whistles, I want great sound - quality & quantity, the rest is pretty much standard for systems these days. Most people don't listen to music so loud you can't hear yourself scream but I do at times & want the option of doing so without distortion like I do with my other system that I only paid $100 for. This is why I disagree that paying more for a higher end system gives you better sound quality or having an engineering degree means you're able to squeeze something out of nothing after buying some cables or wires. I gave this 2 stars, one for the prompt delivery & 1 because unless you will only use this system for surfing the web or quietly watching a movie, it's not even worth $50. I am hoping the return goes as smoothly as the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upsamples DVDs Fantastically, sound a bit problematic, August 30, 2013
Ronald R. Allen Jr. "chizotz" (Columbia, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I think my old DVDs have never looked so good. That's a good thing.

Also, it connects wirelessly and Amazon and Netflix videos look exceptional (if they are 1080p to start with, of course) through it on my several years old 1080p 52" LCD. That's another good thing.

But... for some reason... I had to play with it and tinker with it, and play with it some more, to get good audio from it.

They apparently think that adding echo to everything is a good thing. No, it isn't. That's what it seems to do out of the box. Everything had an echo/reverb applied to it, and it just sounded muddy and muffled. Out of the box.

You CAN get really good sound, but you have to play with it. For me, anyway, quite a bit, before the sound is just... the plain old vanilla soundtrack of whatever I want to watch, which is all I really want. You know, what the filmmakers wanted me to hear.

I don't quite understand why anyone, anywhere, would think it was a good idea to muffle the sound and add echo/reverb to literally everything as the default. I just want to (call me weird) hear the sound that was intended, without added effects. Especially everything having an echo effect, which is (I dunno, maybe this is the latest trend, in which case I _hate_ it) really stupid. In my opinion.

And the thing is, I had to do it twice. I thought I had that idiotic "feature" resolved, but then it came back. After the 2nd go-round on this issue, so far, at least, the system seems to be finally just cooperating (as it should have from out of the box time) and giving me good, clear, undistorted sound.

So I'm happy with it. If it keeps cooperating and doesn't periodically revert back to giving me this ridiculous echo effect that I have to consistently be fighting with.

It really does seem to upsample my DVDs way better than my older upsampling DVD player did. The downside there is, my old upsampling DVD player was a 5-disk changer, and this is a 1-disk unit. So called me spoiled. I miss having the 5-disk changer.

But overall, I really am happy with this system... as long as it continues to behave itself and do what I want it to do, not what it thinks I want... and gets it wrong.

Oh. And another thing. And this may be common to these internet-enabled units. But the other night, I wanted to watch a Netflix movie. I had watched one just the night before, no problem. But there was a software update available, and I couldn't postpone the update. I had to take 20 minutes to update the software, before I could start. It is a real bummer when you are ready to watch and you have to just dump that plan and take 20 minutes to upgrade the player before it will even _let_ you do that. Seems to me, updates should come second to just letting you... watch your damn movies, when you want to. And update when it's, you know, actually convenient for you to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Updated software really helps, November 25, 2013
Does everything it was supposed to. The software update from the manufacturer brought in many newer items that have allowed me to cut the cable and greatly reduce my entertainment expenses!!

5.0 out of 5 stars top notch, August 27, 2013
this thing has a pretty good sound for the little speakers it has with it and has a very good overall performance for everything its supposed to do..