5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, easy to use. A winner.
Published 17 months ago by Steward Willons

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent System but channel crosstalk annoying
Published 14 months ago by JF in MA

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, easy to use. A winner., July 6, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDV-N7100W 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with Wireless Rear Speakers (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
For years, Bose has been making an all-in-one amplifier/receiver/media player package with an array of the iconic cube speakers. Now Sony has a similar model. Everything you need (minus the TV and an HDMI cable) is in the box, all the way down to the speaker cables. I can see the appeal of such a system to those who are not technologically proficient. Since that is the intended consumer, I will attempt to make this review as free from jargon as possible.

1) Setup

The installation was quite simple. All the cables are labeled and color-coded so that virtually anyone can install this without hassle. The front channels, center speaker, and subwoofer plug into the back while the "wireless" rear channels plug into an external amplifier that you position in the back of your room.

Once the proper connections are made, you just follow the on-screen directions to configure everything else. This amounts to making a network connection through either the built-in wifi or through an ethernet connection and calibrating the speaker levels. Interestingly, Sony includes a microphone with a long cable that plugs into the back of the unit and stretches to wherever your optimum listening position happens to be. In my case, my room layout doesn't allow me to sit in a position equidistant from the two surround channels, so the Sony unit automatically detected this and attenuated the volume on one of the rear channels to compensate for me sitting closer to it. It's actually pretty cool.

Once I went through the basic setup, there were a few software and firmware updates to install. These took about ten minutes to run, all in all. After that, I tested out the system with a Blu-ray disc and discovered that the dialogue emerging from the center channel was a bit low. Happily, this was an easy thing to adjust. Sony includes a nice menu system with good graphics to help you pick the speaker that is too quiet and change its output level. Overall, I am very pleased with the menu system. It's about as good as you'll find for a company that isn't necessarily in the business of designing stunning graphical user interfaces.

A word about the "wireless" speakers. I have no idea why companies describe speakers as "wireless." Unless you have a battery-powered speaker, it WILL need power and that means speaker cable. The only benefit here is that you don't have to run long strands of speaker cable from the front of your room to the back. Otherwise, both rear channels are 100% wired, plus you have the external amplifier that needs to be near a wall outlet. If I seem to be harping on this point, it's because people like my mother (a confirmed cable hater) always see systems advertised as having "wireless" speakers and she always thinks that, somehow, there are no cables at all.

2) The Receiver/Blu-ray Player

I must give Sony recognition for designing a nice looking unit. The touch screen is cool and the solid top slides across the top to reveal a top-loading Blu-ray spindle. It looks cool, but how does it function?

In a word, flawlessly. I read that the Blu-ray player allows you to "begin watching your movies in seconds," and I was skeptical. Any Blu-ray player I've ever encountered takes anywhere from five to ten minutes to go from disc startup to main menu. It's so annoying. There are FBI warnings, anti-piracy warnings, trailers that you can't chapter-skip, advertisements, and all sorts of other crap. It's infuriating and makes me hate the Blu-ray format. HOWEVER, this unit allows you to skip all that! It's amazing; utterly amazing. I tried six different Blu-ray discs and all but one allowed me to skip everything--even the FBI warning. "Inception" wouldn't let me skip right to the main menu, but I could chapter-skip through the previews and warnings. This is reason enough to justify a five-star review.

The various network functions worked flawlessly as well. Bluetooth allowed me to stream music through the system via my smartphone, Amazon's video service worked well, YouTube was fine, and I even tried the Internet browser. It's idiotic to try to navigate the web through your TV using a conventional remote, but hey - you can do it. Netflix was great. The Sony interface for Netflix is very nice and provides a good mix of information with a clean layout. It's essentially the same as the second generation Roku box, but a bit sleeker. I still prefer the way my AppleTV handles Netflix, but this is a close second.

The YouTube interface isn't quite as good as the Netflix interface. It's a bit clunky and it uses a keyboard layout that is nonsensical. If you have to use a standard remote to enter in words, it makes a lot more sense to have the letters in a grid rather than a long horizontal line. It's not horrible, but it could be better. On that same note, every interface has a different keyboard layout. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice if the onscreen keyboard always looked the same.

Finally, my one complaint. Yes, this system is designed to be simple and fool-proof, but the only available inputs are HDMI inputs. That means if you have some sort of archaic device like a Wii, you have no way to use it with this system. Sony does provide a couple of HDMI inputs, but some devices still need to make an RCA connection.

3) The Speakers

The speakers are decent. They have plastic bodies, so they feel a bit like over-sized computer speakers. Build quality aside, they do sound bigger than one would imagine. The system can play quite loud, and when you're watching certain kinds of movies, loudness is actually a pretty important factor.

The sound is more suited for movies than music, as one would expect. There is a lot of treble and a lot of bass so that everything sounds very bright and loud. This makes movie soundtracks pop, but when listening to music (especially acoustic music like jazz and Classical/Romantic/Baroque/whatever), the midrange is underwhelming and makes the music sound cheap. There are some built-in EQ functions so that you can get use a flatter frequency response curve, which sounds much better for music.

You can get a much more balanced sound using the Energy 5.1 Take Classic. That speaker system is superior in every category (e.g., build quality, neutrality of sound, size, usability for music) and it typically costs about half what the Sony system costs (although you'll need your own receiver and Blu-ray player, which will ultimately make it slightly more expensive). The downside is that if you're uncomfortable around technology, the Sony system is slightly easier to manage when you consider set up and the purchase of a separate receiver and Blu-ray player. Basically, if you're okay making a few simple speaker connections, I highly recommend the Energy Take Classic. Otherwise, the Sony is a reasonable substitute, provided you're using the system mainly for movies instead of music.

4) Ease of Use

As I mentioned above, the system is very easy to set up, and the onscreen menus are well organized and easy to navigate. Because you only need to make a few cable connections (most of which are color coded), installation ought to be approachable to virtually anyone who can handle a minimal amount of reading and follow the largely pictorial setup instructions.

The real test though was having my mother navigate the menu system and try out the various functions. My parents stream Netflix through their Blu-ray player and the menu system is confusing enough that she can't really get from the startup screen to the Netflix menu on her own. Yeah, it's not that hard, but she's utterly befuddled by technology. Interestingly, Sony includes a special "Netflix" button on the remote that allows you to jump straight there. With that helpful feature, I watched my own mother power up the Sony unit, open up Netflix, select a title, and start watching. I'm sure some of you will identify with this either as technophobes or as children of technophobes. It really is a well-designed system. In fact, my parents ended up liking it so much, they bought one for themselves, which allowed them to remove a big stack of audio equipment and a tangled mess of cables.

5) Overall

I highly recommend the Sony BDV-N7100W system. It's simple, but not simplistic. It works well, it has a nice array of useful features, the speakers are decent, and it's easy to set up and use. And most of all, the fact that the Blu-ray player allows you to skip to the main menu (or at least chapter skip) really lessens the usual aggravation that accompanies Blu-ray discs. This is an excellent product all around.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent System but channel crosstalk annoying, September 21, 2013
I've had this system for several weeks. Setup was straightforward with all speaker connections color coded. Self calibration routine to set speaker levels went easily with supplied microphone. The one problem I experienced was center speaker volume seemed low and dialogue was coming from right front only. A calibration DVD confirmed this and showed crosstalk between other channels as well. Sony support advised a system reset which has been done but there is still crosstalk between several channels that exists with [Sound Mode] ON (which is under Audio Settings, Sound Effects. I tried leaving this setting OFF but it kills the surround channels when viewing/listening to 2 channel sources - like FM Tuner, internet content, etc. I didn't have any of these issues with an older home theater system (BDV-E770W). So unless Sony comes up with a firmware fix for this it's probably going back.

Update 3/31/14 - I ended up holding on to this system even though support advised sending it back. Last night I noticed a new firmware version was avialable (M17.R.0179). The on screen nofification of this didn't work - had to check for it manually. After downloading and installing this version the channel crosstalk problem is gone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effortless 5.1 Hone Theatre setup, January 11, 2014
San (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this system for watching movies over weekends and listening to music plus regular tv. I had tested vizio 5.1 Soundbar, sony CT260H and N7100w with my vizio 65" TV and I can rate
1. Sony N7100w as best
2. Sony CT260H Soundbar
3. Vizio 5.1 Sound bar
Vizio provides surround sound but it's not crisp and lacks HDMI
Sony soundbar is good but max volume is less.

Sony n7100w is a good home theatre setup for those who does not want to run wires with less cost and it can also function as good surround system for TV.

I had watched Man of Steel, Fast and Furious 6 and listened to regular music via Bluetooth and AirPlay and it's awesome.I felt like watching in Theatre. My living room is an open floor plan with 16x 25 with kitchen at other end. My sofas are 10-12 ft far from tv.

The only issue is with remote and sony software which is not easy to navigate and sometimes it freezes.
sony had fixed calibration issues with software update. Please make sure to run software update before running calibration.
I removed one star because the base system cannot fit in normal tv desks and cumbersome remote+software navigation.

Today I went to BestBuy and listened music from Polk, Pioneer and Klipsch Floor speakers with center channel and tried to compare with this one. This system is comparable with Pioneer 5.1 and I feel Polk and Klipsch floor speakers are for audiophiles who can tweak settings on receivers to get better sound.
A comparable ht setup will cost at least 700 without wireless speakers . Overall good value for money and easy setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novice's reaction, January 27, 2014
I've no expertise with such a system, so this is an 'all-thumbs' assessment. The physical assembly of the system is easy. The owner's manual has sketches of the components with their names and terminals, and an easy-start sheet and color coded wiring makes things easy.

My system has a Sony Bravia TV, an Apple TV (an alternative for the Roku streaming player), an AT&T U-verse provided Cisco cable box and wireless router, and an Apple iPhone 5S. All work fine with the BDV-N7100W. The most likely misstep in set-up is that the HDMI cable from the TV to the player must be connected to the correct terminals on each unit. The player identifies the HDMI input that allows ARC (Audio Return Channel) information, but the TV doesn't identify which of its four HDMI inputs is ARC compatible.

Once the physical install is complete, various settings have to be selected. There are a lot of them, and they are displayed on a many-branched decision tree on the TV. There is an automatic process for adjusting the speakers and some of the settings, but some hands on is needed. Before I was satisfied that I had things the way they should be, I'd read the owner's manual from cover to cover a dozen times.

I found the system very pleasurable for small ensembles like chamber music. The sound filled the room and made you feel that you were there. For symphonies, that experience requires more volume, and unless you like it pretty loud the 'being there' feeling won't happen. I found I wanted to adjust the speaker levels to suit myself, rather than using the automatic calibration. Individual speaker levels can be adjusted by ± 6dB in 0.5dB steps, which was enough for me.

The Apple TV works fine with the system, and I can mirror anything on the iPhone to the TV screen using the AirPlay feature. The Bluetooth connection also works with the iPhone, but doesn't provide video.

The everyday use of the system with the remote is straightforward using the displayed decision tree, but it is tedious. When the system turns on, this tree may show on the TV and can be used directly. In the Home selection, the function key can be pressed twice to produce a single column menu that toggles between 8 choices: BD/DVD, USB, FM, HDMI1, HDMI2, TV, Bluetooth Audio, and Audio. If one of these choices is activated already, one press of the function key presents this list, allowing one to toggle to another function. The HDMI1 and HDMI2 selections connect to the cable box or the Apple TV if connection is made using HDMI cables. The sound system and the built-in FM radio also can be accessed directly from the player without using the TV if one stands directly in front of the player (so you can read the small LED display on the player itself) and uses repeated pressing of the remote Function Key to select FM or Music.

Sony also provides an app for iPhone, iPad, and Android called SideView that allows the phone to emulate some features of the Sony remote (for example, home, function, muting, on/off, and volume), also including the remote's access to Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and the Sony Entertainment Network, among many others. In addition, this app provides a TV guide based upon your cable provider's menu system. Unfortunately, this app doesn't show what function you are at as you repeatedly tap the function key, so you have to look at the TV display or the LED display on the player to see what you are doing.

There are many, many settings possible, and probably you will go through them only in your early days with the system. Once set, you'll leave them alone unless some particular program stirs you to look for better choices. However, my experience the first time round was pretty exhausting. I read the 86-page owner's manual cover to cover a dozen times and tried this or that combination of settings for several hours. Along the way somehow the System Setting allowing ARC was turned off, and nothing worked. It was accident to find that this had happened, an accident after an hour's head scratching. The on-screen diagnostics and the owner manual troubleshooting guide were simply misdirection. The owner's manual is not written for a first-time encounter with the system.

I felt wilted after my encounter with the menu system. I found trying things out required a lot of running around in the menu system, and the response of the unit to changes was slow, making you wonder if you pressed the button hard enough or not. Hitting the button twice can lead to surprising results as the menu from the first push that you thought was not firm enough changes the menu for your second push, and you are unaware that happened.

Probably I'd give 5 stars for the system after I recover from battling through the menu system and have accommodated to the cumbersome operation of the remote.

1.0 out of 5 stars CAUTION...good until it needs repair. Then the nightmare begins!, August 1, 2014
I wish I had the energy to document all I've gone through to get my unit repaired, but after over 40 minutes on hold with customer service, I just can't do it.
Short as I can make it...
Unit would freeze when playing videos on Netflix. All other apps worked perfectly.
Drive door wouldn't open.
After 7 emails back and forth with support; was directed to call and arrange for repair.
Sent on 7/11/14 and they received on 7/14/14.
7/23/14 got a call saying they needed $119.95 to fix it. (Unit was still under warranty-bought in August 2013 so I just made it.)
I hadn't sent a receipt with the unit and they needed that to fix without charge. (not sure what good warranty registration does)
Emailed receipt.
2 days later, they said they hadn't received the receipt and gave me 2 more addresses to email it to and in one they wanted my case number in the subject line and my order number in the subject line of the other.
2 more days and the unit is being repaired.
Got the unit yesterday (7/31/14) and got it set up.
Checked Netflix and it worked fine.
Time to check the drive door.
Opens and closes right away, sometimes stays open normally.
Tried a Blu-ray disc. Wouldn't read it. Was able to remove the disc.
Tried to play a video via Hulu, Amazon, Netflix.
I will do NOTHING now. Displays the message:
A tray is being operated or a disc is being read. Cannot perform this operation.
Emailed customer support and eventually got an answer back suggesting I call.
Just got off extensive hold with no help.
Sound system still works so here is my solution:
Plugged into the crippled Sony I have a Sony Network Media Player (which works perfectly) and an LG Blu-ray player.

I loved the BDV-N7100W for almost a year.
For anyone wishing to purchase this or anything from Sony, I would suggest you consider it as disposable.
If it breaks, buy something new.
(PS phone connections with service are always virtually inaudible).

and this is the abbreviated version!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony BDV-N7100W Home Theater System, July 7, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Disclosures: I'm not an expert on sound quality, so this review won't be satisfying to those who want detailed information on what the speakers deliver and how they might compare to other systems. I don't own a smartphone or a 3D TV, so I can't comment on how features that require those devices work. What I can do is provide a neophyte's perspective on how this system works, what non-experts considering an upgrade from a regular Blu-ray player to something with speakers might think of it.

This is a higher-end Sony model. If you want a basic Sony system that won't cost much more than a high-end Blu-ray player, consider the Sony BDV-E3100 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with Built-In Wi-Fi, which comes out in a few months. There's a handy comparison chart on this product page if you want to see what the differences are; basically this one has "premium design," a universal remote, 4K upscaling, Super Bit Mapping, a calibration system, and nicer speakers. If you want something even more elaborate from Sony, there's the Sony BDV-N8100W 5.1 Channel 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System with Wireless Rear Speakers, which differs from the model discussed here only in having even more powerful, floor-standing front speakers.

A clarification about something that is probably obvious to people who know about sound systems but may confuse newbies: "wireless rear speakers" here means only that there's no connection between the rear speakers and the main system. The rear speakers still need to be connected to a receiver that plugs into a wall outlet, so you'll have to make room for that box and those wires near your listening position. Speaking of listening positions, one of the neater features of this system is the above-mentioned calibration microphone, which is used to balance the speakers based on their specific position in the room. The microphone comes with a long cord; you plug it into the back of the main unit and stretch it until it's located where you'll be sitting while using the system. Because I didn't understand this at first, I inadvertently calibrated it almost backwards to begin with, and so can confirm that the performance is highly flexible; don't worry if your room layout doesn't allow for perfect positioning of the speakers. The downside is that if you move even a small distance from that position, what you perceive will shift from perfect surround to something slightly unbalanced.

Setup for the system is pretty simple. Unless you're wall-mounting the speakers you'll have to assemble the stands yourself, which is a bit of a pain, but unavoidable and comparatively easy: you hold the base in place, run the wires through it, then use a single screw to secure the whole thing. Once that's done, it's only a matter of positioning the elements of the system and connecting all the cords. (If you've bought this already, note that the subwoofer cord comes attached to the subwoofer; don't assume it's missing because it's not with the various speaker cords.) Onscreen setup is pretty quick and painless, and you can skip steps you don't care about. As I said, I'm not a sound expert, so I can't give a detailed rundown on how well the speakers work, but they sounds great to my untrained ear, particularly given their size and design. The subwoofer is very effective, perhaps a little too much so for my taste; if there's music playing in the background of a given scene, the bass tends to dominate more than I would think it should. But for all I know that's how it's supposed to sound, and in any case the overall performance is very pleasing.

Speakers aside, how well does this work as a media player? Pretty darn well. Disc load times are pretty fast, and if you activate the quick start up mode, the system itself turns on with stunning speed. The onscreen interface is nice, not visually exciting but functional, with Sony's usual mix of vertical and horizontal movement among icons. The various streaming-video apps I tested worked well: Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and Netflix all have decent speeds, though the former two seem to need to check the connection speed pretty often, which slows down the start of playback. The Youtube app is a bit visually ugly and hard to figure out, but playback was solid. There's a wide range of other apps, so many that even scrolling through them at high speed takes quite a while. I've used the system's two HDMI inputs to connect my Wii U and an old DVD player that's set up for multi-region; the system switches quickly and both work fine. (It's nice to have clear rear-speaker sound for deciphering accents on those subtitle-free British dramas.) Playback of video though the USB device connector also worked, as did streaming from my computer. The FM radio reception is decent, and would probably be even better if I cared enough to get the included antenna positioned just so.

Complaints? I have a few. The angled sliding-top disc tray is visually nice, but a bit slow-moving compared to certain standard front-loaders. The universal remote programming doesn't have codes for the manufacturer of my TV (Sanyo), which is a shame, though plenty of other manufacturers are included, and I'm sure that if I really cared I could find a code that worked. For some reason, the only way to return to the interface while watching a video from a USB device is the remote's "Home" button, which as you would expect brings you back to the main screen, leaving you to click back through whatever directories on your USB device to get back to where you were. The next chapter button will also take you to the next video in that folder, but if you want to go up one folder and then somewhere new, you're out of luck. My biggest complaint, though, is that the onscreen displays during playback are so obtrusive. I can forgive the top and bottom of the screen being darkened when you tap the button to bring up information about duration/video quality/audio quality, but why, when you can't skip a chapter or fast-forward/rewind, should the whole screen go dark and the phrase "That operation is not permitted for this disc" flash up for several seconds? Most manufacturers have much less obtrusive ways of saying as much, and having the screen obscured somehow, counter-intuitively, heightens the aggravation of being unable to skip various warnings, trailers, etc.

If you're thinking "That's your biggest complaint? How petty!", well, you're right. This is an excellent, easy-to-use system with a lot of nice features. If you want an elaborate home theater setup that doesn't demand a lot of effort, I can recommend this one strongly. It's pricy, but for that price you get a top-of-the-line Blu-ray player and speakers that give good performance for their size and can adjust to different layouts. Beginners in the world of speaker systems could do a lot worse than to start here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it!, January 10, 2014
I purchased the Sony N7100 after first purchasing the Samsung 5500. I was not satisfied with the Samsung and returned it I then purchased the N7100. What a huge difference! Right out of the box I could tell that the overall quality was much better then the samsung. The sub has the look and feel of a high quality subwoofer plus it sounds great! The front and rear speakers are well constructed and the base stands feel sturdy. Audio output was clear and sharp just as expected.

The initial setup with the speakers and subwoofer was pretty easy as all of the plugs are color coded and connect easily to the back of the system.

I had some issues with my tv as far as the inputs go which was initially confusing. I have an HDMI running from the cable box to the system and then one from the system to my TV and that has the surround sound working great for when I watch cable tv which is often.

Bluray's look great and the speakers and subwoofer makes my living room feel like a private theater.

Speaker set up was calibrated via a mic which does all the calibrating after a few tests sounds.

Overall I would recommend the Sony N7100 the quality and ease of use was worth it. I am very happy I returned the Samsung 5500.

P.S. I am not anti Samsung or against their products, I have a LED smart TV from Samsung and it works great which is why I initially purchased their system over the Sony.

1.0 out of 5 stars I purchased it because it had great reviews. It was very easy to set up ..., September 6, 2014
I was so excited to receive this blu-ray player. I purchased it because it had great reviews. It was very easy to set up and the sound was awesome until the next day.. I was watching tv and all of a sudden there was this ear piercing screeching sound that came from the surround sound. I tried to quickly turn off the system but it was frozen. I had to unplug it to make it stop the noise. When I plugged it back in there was a pink screen on my tv and I couldn't get the player to work. It was still frozen. I'm returning it back to Amazon and purchasing the newer model of this system. Hopefully the newer model will last longer than one day of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony keeps getting better. Still my favorite brand., July 25, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is now the 5th Sony entertainment system in the last 8 years that myself or my family has bought. (I am the guy they call to shop and install for them.) This says something about my opinion of Sony. I feel it's the top consumer (non-audiophile) brand on the market in terms of video and sound quality, remote and menu system, and reliability. Plus I like their sleek modern designs. Now it was time for me to upgrade my system after 4 years...

This N7100W system is new for 2013 and has all the features I was looking for: 3D HDTV, wireless rear speakers, iPhone hook-up, Netflix and Pandora streaming and the new 4k upscaling. The 4k upscaling doubles the resolution of Blu-ray discs to fit the new bread of larger HDTVs and computer monitors. Even though my monitor is still 1080p, I do notice an improvement in video clarity and less ghosting compared to my earlier Sony system.

When listening to just music, these new speakers have a crisper sound and add more depth compare to my older Sony system. Maybe my older speakers has worn out over time, which can account for the difference. But I still think that once these new speakers get broken in over the next 4 weeks the sound will be even better. Plus the wireless feature is really nice. I haven't noticed any distortion or broken signals to the rear speakers.

Overall, I am very pleased with this system. I wouldn't trade my Sony for any other consumer brand. When I find a good brand I tend to stick with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic system!, August 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am SO not a sound system expert, just a customer who appreciates things that are easy to install and use, and that WORK. (Nothing irritates me more than fiddling with something that just won't do what I need it to do!)

This Sony 3D Blu-ray Disc Home Theater System hits the mark on all points. It was super easy to install and has been working flawlessly. The sound is wonderful and full. Note: Wireless rear speakers means just that. The REAR speakers are wireless, the front ones are not.

The remote to this system is outstanding, a big improvement over our older Sony Blu-ray's. I know it sounds silly to rave about a remote, but this one just does everything, right at your fingertips, and it's lightweight! That may not seem like much, but for those of us who suffer with hands that don't always do what we need them to do, this is HUGE!

The system works perfectly with our local rural internet provider. HuluPlus, Amazon, and Netflix all stream beautifully. There are a ton of other channels available, most with very narrow interests.

Overall, I am very, very happy with this system.