Top critical review
10 of 14 people found this helpful
Disappointed and Annoyed - Boot time lag and other issues. 2.5 Stars
on April 6, 2011
I bought this from Costco a few months ago mainly for the Live Streaming and Netflix features but immediately started noticing little details that eventually led me to despise this system.
I've devised a Pro/Con list to break it down:
- The system looks great.
- When volume is maxed out it's a LOUD system with great BASS.
- Upgraded from the previous 5.1 System Sony had without the Broadband connection, Netflix and other online features are great to have.
- Piss off your neighbors.
- Asinine boot up time - 20 seconds minimum to get sound to come on! And if you accidentally power off and power on again it will take about a minute for sound to come on (you better have a DVR to pause your show/movie while this thing limps itself to work).
- You have to select the function almost every time upon starting up and adds an unnecessary step. The system seems to arbitrarily select the mode after starting up, while other systems usually have memory that will remember what mode you were in the last time before you turned it off, so if you were watching tv and decide to watch tv again the correct mode would have already beeen selected.
- Background sounds seem to take priority over speech in shows and movies at times making dialogue difficult to hear clearly at certain volume levels (I'm 27 years old with no hearing issues).
- Can't view and select Netflix movies from the system, you have to use your computer. This seems like one of those issues that could have been solved had they thought about it for an additional day before putting into production.
- One of the speakers are now crackling, awaiting the pop any day now (we never have the system maxed out above 30, usually at 22-24 volume range).
I don't recommend this system and I'm disappointed in Sony for not putting more thought/research into this before releasing. It really seems as if they added internet connectivity to the previous system without really dialing in the little details that make this system not worth purchasing.