Most helpful critical review
31 of 38 people found the following review helpful
Good audio/video but has issues
on October 4, 2011
I've had this unit for about 2 weeks. I've made notes along the way and will just list them.
No particular order
1. DVD Playback video and sound is excellent although I did have component video before direct from Sat to TV.
2. FM Coax connection. Allows me to connect my rooftop TV antenna to use as an FM antenna. I'm about 30 miles from the nearest radio transmitter and it picks up stations very well.
3. Optical input from TV so when I'm using the TV antenna for local channels I get high quality audio.
4. DLNA quality during playback is as good as listening from a PC connected wirelessly to the same server.
5. DLNA playback shows title, artist, album, file type and recording quality.
6. Hulu+, Netflix, NHL Vault (don't use any of those). Youtube, HD Movies on demand, Flickstream movie previews and other streaming video/audio.
7. Integrated facebook link.
8. Integrated browser (I think it's linux-based).
9. Online firmware updates.
10. Included iPod dock. (don't use, don't see the point)
11. Includes set up mic for speakers. Not sure if this really helps but it's supposed to.
1. Audio cuts out sometimes then unit freezes when I try to shut it down to correct issue.
2. Youtube loads slow.
3. Can't stream video via the web browser (i.e. from TV network sites).
4. Images on DLNA are very hard to find unless all of your photos are labeled and/or dated properly.
5. DLNA is junk. I have multiple albums from multiple artists and some are compilations or from movies. The system sorts them all by artist. Some artists aren't listed in the artist folder but are found in the album folder. Not all albums are shown. It's a huge mess and I won't use it.
6. There is a very annoying white light on the front of the unit (like a Cylon or KITT but white). It's a pointless light, only changes when you press any button on the remote, I guess to let you know it's received it.
7. The display on the unit is on the top of it so you can't see anything unless you are right there.
8. Volume displays on TV only in DVD, DLNA or Tuner mode.
9. Unit was on mute for about 10 minutes and when I unmuted it, a loud static-like buzz noise rang through the speakers. The only way I got it to stop was to turn off the unit, wait 3-5 minutes for it to actually turn off, then turn it back on again.
10. No component or composite input; outputs only.
11. No actual input buttons on the remote. Only a Function button and if you don't wait long enough between pushes of the button, you will pass over the mode you want, plus you have to be within a few feet of the unit to read the mode in the display.
12. Unit seems to always check for DVD/BD upon startup. If no disk is in drive you can't switch to that mode (getting ready to insert DVD want it on DVD mode but you can't until you insert disk). Not a huge problem but I find it annoying.
13. Video cut out when unit was turned on (several times during the first few days). Had to press Home, select output to get it back.
14. Limited on streaming music (from internet).
15. Speaker connections on unit are specific to the unit. If the included wire isn't long enough, splicing has to be done.
16. TV ads are sometimes (most of the time) louder than the program or movie being watched.
17. Closed Captioning setting on Sat receiver don't work through this unit. Yes, I know this is a unit for sound but if you have someone in your home that wants to watch TV late and can't hear everything, CC helps but you can't use it. I can't find any CC settings within the unit.
18. Remote functions are not all compatible with my Harmony remote.
So far that's all I've got. I'm torn between returning it and living with it. I'm going to give it at least another 2 weeks and see.
I did buy my first BluRay movie and I'm very disappointed. The audio and video weren't at all better than standard DVD movies. Maybe they spent all their time and money on the 3D part which I can't use.
If I find more I'll add to this if it let's me.