4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Home Theater System

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
Published on July 30, 2012 by Kevin M

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Home Theater System, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
This product is performing as advertised. I did not want to spend $1000 on a theater system for a $500 TV (which I recieved for fathers day - Panasonic 50" Plasma) The connections were very straight forward.. The "On Screen" set up went pretty well. Running Cable Television shows thru the Sony Audio made the sound better than the TVs speakers.. and When playing a DVD we were amazed at the quality of the sound coming out of those little speakers. Yeah I know you "Get what you pay for" well I did.. for around $400 I am very pleased with the results.. Perhaps somewhere in the future I will spend the "Big Bucks" on the Home Theater system but, for now this one will do just fine.. Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, July 30, 2012
Kevin M (Fairfax, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
It's ok for the price. I bought Sony because I have a Sony TV and I like the way they integrate. Some Pro's: Small footprint, movie and sound quality seem ok to me, speakers are small, has FM, good WIFI connection for Pandora, excellent Sony quality. Some Con's: I don't like that the speakers are hard wired at the speaker and connected to the receiver via a jack connection - this means whatever speaker length Sony decided to give you for each speaker, that's it (without splicing, etc...), the Base always seem overpowering to me and you can't turn it down or off - at night I have to turn down all the receiver speakers and use the TV speakers so my kids can sleep while I'm watching a movie, also, my previous Sony Blu-ray player always seemed to know when the player was turned off, where it was supposed to resume when it powered up, this one doesn't seem to do that.

Suggestions: There are various sound modes that adjust the sound quality - it would be nice to have a user customizable mode. Also after using a TIVO back-lit remote, I wish all my remotes would operate that way since most times while I'm watching a movie it is dark and the lights are down low.

Bottom line, I thought it would be better, but I'm ok with it for the price paid.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
I am pleased with the overall product, however it is not as powerful as I expected it to be. It stated that the subwoofer was wireless, however it is not. Nevertheless I am pleased...for the price, it is acceptable

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, November 29, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
I bought this for Christmas for my husband (he got it early). It's awesome. The hulu and netflix "apps" on wifi are great. We already had subscriptions to both, but previously we had a computer hooked to our tv via an HDMI, and then an audio cable ran from the computer to our dvd aux imput for sound. There are only a handful of shows that we watch that aren't available via huluplus on the wifi enabled device rather than our computer, but for the ease of use this offers us, we have yet to go back to the computer to watch them. It has PLENTY of speaker cable length, and set up was pretty painless. The sound quality is what I love most though. I grew up the daughter of an AV guy, so I've been a little spoiled in that department. Our previous set up drove me nuts. At low volumes you could only hear the music and it was hard to make out the voices, but by the time you turned it up enough to hear the voices, it was a little too loud for our neighbors (we're in an apartment building) and not real awesome for our daughter who was sleeping on the other side of the wall. This has a night mode, that adjusts the sub woofer to a lower volume, and even at a quiet volume you don't lose sound quality. Startup can take a little longer if you don't opt for quick start up mode, however once you adjust it to quick start up, the home screen is up before my tv ever fully loads. We love the pandora app too, to be able to stream music without having to move our computer or ipods around the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
Was very pleased with the quality of the sound. I installed in a small room and this unit is more than adequate with crisp treble and adequate bass from the subwoofer. Does not have all the custom features of a full surround amplifier but provides a good choice of sound modes and allows for setting of speaker distance etc.

I was surprised that Sony didn't provide more wire for the speakers. I could not position the rear/surround speakers with the short length of wire. The front speakers wires are even short if you have to go around furniture. The speakers all have quick connect fittings which is nice for fast set-up, but means you have to splice the connectors if you want to add additional wire. There should be 2-3 times the wire length. That being said, it really is a nice unit with quick set-up, excellent sound, and even good FM radio reception which was a feature I hadn't noticed when I ordered.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is great, December 12, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
This is the easiest Home Theater System I have ever had to set up. Plug the colored plug into the same color on the back of the system in that is it!! Took longer to unpack everything that it did to set up.
And the sound is great. Would recommend this to anyone!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound amplification is not great, November 27, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
Not getting the power of a 1000W unit from this product. Max volume level of the system is 33, i need to keep it atleast 23 to get a home theater feel or a slightly better sound than the TV. One of the reason I went with a home theater system was because of the poor sound amplification from TV for certain videos. Tried those videos in this unit and not much difference. I've made the speaker arrangements as mentioned in the manual and tried with different sound sources, no luck. Overall not satisfied with this product and I will not recommend this to a second person.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it for now, March 1, 2013
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
this a big step up from my old setup. my number one concern was sound quality of the lows, since i was moving away from 2 10in subs to this super small sub. however it proved me wrong it sounds better and cleaner. BTW to those who said that they fail after time the one i bought from best buy was the display one and it still works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goos choice, February 19, 2013
Jessica (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
Bought this for the master bedroom and it works great. The set up was easy, the small speakers work great for the smaller space.

Only compliant is that it takes a minute for he unit to turn on/boot up.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 years and its toast, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems (Electronics)
Product works as advertised out of the box, good sound and picture, but within 6 months started having trouble with the blue disk reader tray not responding, now 3 years to the date purchased it will not respond at all and we get a System ERROR message on the screen and on the device. Have a disk in the unit and will have to manually eject it by disassembling the unit, there is no pin hole to manually discharge the disk if it gets stuck. After taking it a part it will be completely useless. DO NOT BUY THIS! a unit that only lasts 3 years should not be sold.

Sony BDVE390 Blu-ray Home Theater Systems