5.0 out of 5 stars One more factor to evaluate (and then some)
Please be aware that this unit is a 60-Hz. You would be hard-pressed to learn this from the specs and reviews.

Published on April 9, 2012 by D. Chambers

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful. Only 2 HDMI inputs!
Yes, there are places where the listing says 2 HDMI inputs, but near the top of the product description it says, "Four HD inputs for a cable box, PS3 and more*, so it's easy to stop there without realizing that only two of the 4 HD inputs are HDMI inputs.

Published on May 2, 2012 by JerryWithaJ

5.0 out of 5 stars One more factor to evaluate (and then some), April 9, 2012

While 120-Hz units cost more, and reduce blur, the quality of this 60-Hz unit is adequate, especially at this price. All TV signals are broadcast and/or recorded in 60-Hz. Thus, any 120-Hz or 240-Hz unit is not receiving/displaying a higher-quality signal, but merely interpolating the time-slices between the 60-cycle images (a digital scrubbing, as it were), to reduce blur.

Probably info overload, but I just wanted to say that it's a 60-Hz unit, in case anyone is looking for that spec. Wikipedia has an article on "HDTV blur" (section 100 Hz+) that explains it all.
-----------
Revision, about a month after purchase: I am very happy with this unit. The product page on Amz. is a bit misleading re: "Clear Resolution Enhancer" (whatever that is). Amz indicates that this unit does not have it, but the manufacturer's shipping crate clearly states that this unit (like the EX640 unit) does have it. Specs constantly change; inquiring minds want to know. It seems to reduce the out-of-focus conditions on the old Hollywood DVDs that are just plain old VHS transfers. Nice!

Another thing: older analog SONYs let you "Fix Channel" (lock it) on, say, channel 3. This is for us folks that get all their broadcast signals from a cable box--which has all signals coming out of the box to the TV on, say, channel 3. This keeps the kids and spouse and dog from hitting the numeric channel numbers on the remote, and inadvertently going into a black-screen situation. And the subsequent troubleshooting, puzzlement, etc.... This unit has no such feature, altho you can manually go in and block all 141 other channels, so that the unit displays a "Blocked" message and jumps back to normal after a few seconds.

A freebie: If you are replacing a Sony TV, this unit will most likely respond to your cable company's remote (On, Off, Volume, Muting, etc) since you already programmed it for a Sony. You others, well, you probably would have had to reprogram your cable-box remote anyway.

Finally, the sound: This TV is over 3" thick, so it has room for some decent speakers. The sound is MUCH better than what I hear coming out of other people's ultrathin TVs, mainly cuz there's some good bass.

Tech note: If your DVD player is using a 3-wire Yellow-Red-White (composite) cable, REPLACE IT with 5-wire Green-Blue-Red (component) video if available + plus Red-White for Audio (or equally as good, a 1-wire HDMI cable, if the player has a jack for it). The video signal really is MUCH better; why corrupt your DVD signal with an inadequte cable? A cheap fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV and safe shipping, April 7, 2012
This review is from: Sony BRAVIA KDL46BX450 46-Inch 1080p HDTV, Black (2012 Model) (Electronics)
First, I have to say we were a little worried about ordering a TV online. I talked to somoene in the "big products" (not the right phrase, exactly) department at Amazon who assured me the TV would arrive in perfect condition, and if not, returning a TV was as easy as returning a book. So we ordered. And the TV did arrive in perfect condition. So if any of you are worried about ordering such a large and expensive item, set your worries aside.

As far as the TV goes, I cannot give you a technical review. All I know is the picture is GREAT, it was easy to set up and it's intuitive to use. We aren't gamers and we don't have 6 different things to plug into it. We have a DVD player. That's it. Movies look and sound great for our needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-Blowing, April 29, 2012
I've used this product for a full day and I am blow away from what it delivers. I bought this TV for heavy gaming (PS3 & PC), watching Dish Network Satellite channels, and Blu-ray movies. I've tested each of these criteria on the Sony KDL40BX450 and have seen amazing clarity. There are also lots of features that it has which add to your personal viewing experience (i.e. different aspect ratios, scene selects, equalizer, etc.). The BRAVIA Sync Functionality works great as well (provided you have a capable SONY device which supports the feature).

Additional Information: I have set this up in a small to medium size room, so viewing distance is not a problem. I'd recommend this model even if you're planning on installing it in the living room. Also, don't bother listening to another reviewer who stated that this is not a BRAVIA model. There is a big fat "BRAVIA" label on the top left of the TV (not to mention it has BRAVIA Sync).

To conclude, I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a quality LCD 40-incher with a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony User 4ever, May 29, 2012
I have been a Sony user/buyer since the first Walkmans appeared. I still have my 1992 Sony rack system that has been moved countless times and been through hell. The 5 disc carousel still works great but the tape-deck finally gave-up a couple years ago. Sony really shines with this Bravia. I wanted one ever since I first set eyes on one in a Fred Meyer store in Oregon. I FINALLY was able to purchase the 40inch Bravia (Best Buy) and by then (2010) they had introduced the "motion flow" technology which really enhances the viewing experience. I think I paid $800.00 that summer. Purchase a Sony Blu-Ray player at the same time you buy the Bravia, the absolute best 1080p flat-screen on the market!! You will NEVER go back to 720p or regular DVD's again. The improvement is that good. It redefines the old HD and has an almost 3D effect with some animation blu-ray movies. The Bravia has many inputs/outputs for components, game systems, etc, and you will want to invest the extra 40 bucks for the HDMI cable. It saves a lot of time and helps if you have additional components to add like surround sound system (which I hooked up to that old 1992 5.1 surround/lol) Just buy it. You will be glad you did and I wouldn't be writing this/wasting my time if I didn't think that the Sony Bravia tops them all!!! Personally, I find the 40 inch a very nice size. One more neat thing about the Bravia, it doesn't have that cheap-glossy glass screen like those cheap Vizeo's. The screen is matte which reduces glare tremendously. I can't stand TV's and laptops with a shiny screen, what a drag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV under $500, May 15, 2012
We researched LCD TV's for months, and were please when this set was offered for under $500. Of all the TV's I've seen, only Samsung has a better picture, and only slightly better than the Sony, yet it runs at a 10-15% premium. As other buyer's have stated, this set only has 2 HDMI ports, which is a problem if you need to add gaming systems, etc. However, if you want outstanding picture quality, and mainly watch tv/ blu-ray, this set is more than adequate,and you won't beat the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful. Only 2 HDMI inputs!, May 2, 2012

There may be many who can get by with 2 HDMI inputs, but there are also those who need a minimum of three (cable box, DVD player, streaming media). I've no qualms about tvs with only 2 HDMI inputs as long as potential buyers are clearly informed and appreciate what they are getting into.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Everything, October 7, 2012
I like almost everything about this TV.
I bought it to replace my 32" Bravia with 720p. I wanted 1080, so I could use the TV as a computer monitor from the couch. This product works fantastically for that. The contrast is strong, the picture is clear, the Wii looks great on this, and text is sharp.
My only beef is the lack of input jacks. There just aren't enough for my taste, and I've found that I have some jury rigging going on, in order to hear the sound from the computer, rather than just allowing me to send it directly. Grumble grumble grumble.
Really, this is a great TV. My movies look WAY better, now. I just miss being able to plug in everything I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, August 29, 2012
This Sony TV is an amazing display, especially for its price. It offers full 1080p at a 60HZ refresh rate, along with an excellent contrast ratio and viewing angles. As a result the picture is crystal clear, even competing with TVs at a larger price range. It also has a light sensor, which adjusts the screen's brightness to how light it is in the room. It offers two HDMI, one component and two composite inputs for input options. It also has the ability to read photos and music right from a USB flash drive via its buit in USB port. One con about this display is its sound quality, which, like most flat panels nowadays, is subpar. This is easily taken care of with an alternate speaker system however. Also, this is not an LED backlit display, however the picture quality is so good you won't even be able to tell the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars 24p failed, May 19, 2012
I was in the market for a 40" HDTV and was considering Sony or Samsung because they make good TVs. Overall, I think Samsung have better picture quality. I preferred Sony, because I have a PS3 that I use for gaming, video and anything else that it can handle. Picture quality is also based on the model of the TV as well. You can't expect BX series to have great picture quality as the HX series. And that is just within Sony's line.

I bought this TV last month when it was listed second on the best sellers list for TVs. It is probably due to a temporary price deduction. I had it for around a week and test out most of what I could to decide if I'm going to keep this TV or not. While this is a good TV but it has some flaws that keep me from holding on to it. Before I bought this set, I'd searched for any useful information to help me determine if I should purchase it. There was barely anything. There were very little reviews here on Amazon that isn't useful at all during my purchase. So I give it a shot. The worse that could happen would be to return it. So here's my review and I hope it will help you.

If you're planning on buying this set you should know that this is a 60Hz TV and no way will it act like a 120Hz or higher refresh rate set. Don't be fooled by the 24p. It STILL looks like a flipbook if you are viewing an up close scene panning around.

Another thing to consider is the color. This BX model has a poor black color. You can still see light in the display which makes the black around 80% or so. It's very obvious. If you're not picky with black not being black, then this will fit you. It does have nice color and is better than cheap brand TVs.

It seems this TV does a very poor job of up scaling when I watch a clip on my PS3. My monitor does a better job. If you dim or tone down the brightness on this set, it looks much better. Although this is a LCD panel, you can still view it on most angles nicely without the negative film effect.

2 HDMI is a given, but I still think it should be 4 considering this is a 40" TV not a 32." Nobody likes to hook and unhook a device for every use. I'm sure that everyone buying or thinking of buying this TV would want 4 HDMI ports or 3 at least. More and more devices are having HDMI output.

I often heard people complaining about sound quality on just about all TV sets that are out there. In my opinion, the sound is good but not impressive. It's rare to find a TV set that came with an impressive sound quality without having to hook up to a receiver and external speakers. This TV said its 5.1 audio. Don't be fooled. It's not surround sound. I would prefer stereo if it's coming from the TV.

The 2 USB inputs are only good for 2 of 3 features. It is ideal for playing music, photos, and videos. Unfortunately, only music and photos work without issues. As for videos, it is very picky on format and probably resolution size as well. MKV, MP4, AVI are some of today popular video format on the web. None of these would work. I still don't know exactly what format(s) and maximum resolution size it would allowed. The USB features work like how you use a basic set top box except the music player and photo viewer look much nicer than a basic set top box.

This TV isn't slim, but it isn't as bulky. It's also light weight, stable and solid built. The TV looks attractive and power on fairly fast.
The remote is long and skinny, but bulky and round. It's not pretty as the thin flat remote, but it's easy to use and the numbers are big and easy to read. What's nice is you can control it with your other Sony device you hook it to like a PS3. If any HDMI or USB hook on to the TV, it will be selectable in white. If not plug in, it will be in grey and un-selectable. Nice feature to have without selecting something that cannot be in use to save time from scrolling up or down.

Overall, I think it is a good 2012 TV for the retail price on the market today. This TV maybe for you if you can accept the 60Hz refresh rate and know that 24p is just a marketing strategy to make you think it will run smoothly but the fact it won't. On the plus side, it's a good quality TV than other off brand 40" that sales around 300. This TV isn't for you if want to enjoy the experience of watching fast pace action movies, sports, and games. 120Hz will give you a better experience. Anything above 120Hz, you probably only notice it slightly better. People who downgrade from 120Hz to 60Hz will be disappointed. People who never experience 120Hz will not notice the difference.

Great features rich basic TV with lack of motion due to 60Hz handicap.

I had a bad experience with the UPS shipping. There was no additional box to cover the original Sony package so the Sony TV packaging was exposed on my front door. Anyone could've come up and pick it up and ran off with it. What worst is the UPS guy never rang the door bell when he left it there and I was home too. A roommate ends up bring it in while coming home. What happen to schedule a time where the delivery guy deliver, bring in, and check your TV to make sure it's okay before leaving?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for the price., July 23, 2012
MamaSowers (Coastal Alabama) - See all my reviews
We bought this TV to replace our old Sharp Aquos, and were very pleasantly surprised. The picture is crisp, the sound is fantastic, the setup was easy, and the TV just looks good. My only complaint is that it only has a few connections, so by the time I hooked up the sattelite, the DVD player, and the Roku box, it was pretty much maxed out. Also, it only has one set of the older, non-hdmi connections, so I could not connect both an older DVD player and our wii (which is several years old). While I like the ease of use of the hdmi and the picture quality, I'm not ready to get rid of all my old devices just because they are not hdmi compatible.