5.0 out of 5 stars Great 2D and impressive 3D!
Published on November 23, 2010 by Michael Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Picture, Nice Menu System
I purchased the set as part of a bundle that included two 3D glasses, the sync transmitter and a Bluray disc player. I have yet to explore the 3D functions, but as a basic TV the picture is outstanding.

Published on December 8, 2010 by Editz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 2D and impressive 3D!, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX800 46-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D-Ready LED HDTV, Black (2010 Model) (Electronics)
I recently purchased this TV and wanted to give my thoughts. I went in looking for a 2D TV, thinking a 3D TV was out of reach.... fortunately the Thanksgiving sales were getting started, and I got this one for only a couple hundred more than what I had budgeted for a 2D TV. The reviews on this TV in 2D mode were good, so I figured 3D was almost free, and if I didn't like it, nothing lost.

The TV is quite attractive itself.... sleek and modern. It's not sporting the new "monolithic" look of the higher end Sonys, but it has a small bezel and won't looked outdated, if that sort of thng is a concern to you. It comes with a decent stand, and has all the connections you need. Some of the connections are on the back of the unit, so be advised if you plan to wall mount it.

The TV was easy to set up and get running.

In 2D, the TV is indeed impressive. SD pictures are very good, but the HD picture is pretty spectacular. Bright, crisp, great colors.... beautiful! If you're a videophile, you'll probably want to mess with the settings. I used some calibration settings a videophile friend recommended, and it does look good, but I'm not the most sensitive person to such issues.

Some reviews complain about limited viewing angles. I did notice some loss of contrast with off-angle viewing, but again, it doesn't really seem to be an issue with me, except at fairly extreme angles, where you can't see the picture anyway.

So how's the 3D? PRETTY DARNED IMPRESSIVE! I find the 3D very convincing. Unlike some other brands I sampled, I did not detect any crosstalk or ghosting. I'm really looking froward to seeing content developed with these kind of TV's in mind. The HX800 includes a 2D to 3D conversion mode which worked better than I expected, but I'll be honest and say this is mainly a gimmick to play with until more genuine 3D content is available. The glasses work well to block out ambient light, though I found them a tad tight, so I hope Sony makes a pair for goons like me with big heads. On the bright side, they include adjustment so I can get them to fit on my 8-year-old daughter and I don't have to spring for the kid's model.

The sound is only acceptable for TV speakers, but most people getting this TV will be using it with an external sound system, so no big deal. The included speakers are certainly OK for short term use, or in a small room where a home theatre set-up isn't practical. I wound up using Sony's CT150 sound bar system and I'm very happy with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong!, November 21, 2010
Just got this unit a couple days ago. First, setup was a breeze, menu driven and easy to follow. Took less than 5 minutes, including internet connectivity. If you have a Netflix account, the setup was also super easy. Follow the on screen instructions, register your set at Netflix and within seconds, your ready to stream. Your Qeue is onscreen and streaming starts quickly. Impressive list of other internet based video sites as well. Not to mention streaming music and pictures from the more popular photo sharing sites. I should mention that the set is connected hardwired to a router in my living room so I cannot comment on the wireless setup yet.

I connected my set to a Dish Network 922 VIP HD reciever and I have to say, the picture is excellent - maybe not perfect, but darn close. Colors are accurate, bright and the picture is sharp and smooth. 240 Hz makes a huge difference from 120 HZ or 60 Hz. You will be impressed.

Remote is simple and comfortable in your hand. The menu's are quick, responsive and easy to follow. Little need for the manual.

Good number of inputs for your sat/cable receiver, home theater, blue ray player and game system. Xbox looks amazing on this thing and I am sure a Playstation looks just as good.

3D - I did not purchase the 3D glasses and emitter, and I really wish Sony included them. That is my only complaint. I did try out the 3D functionality in the store watching a ESPN football game. While the 3D was fun and far better than I ever remember it being, with so little content out there now, I figured I would wait a while.

If you are looking for a entry level, 3D ready, quality LED-LCD TV, you cannot go wrong with the HX800. The price is right and you will be impressed by this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its blows HD off the charts, July 19, 2010
Ok, first of i took a risk on buying one because the bundle was so good an offer from Sony. Though like many i bought a sony bravia 40' 2 years ago, i always wanted to get a big screen to change the 42" westington house i had from 4 years ago. My finance and i went to sony style store just to check it out and it only took us 5 minutes to decide to get one after watching a few things on the screen in 3D. My finance was complaining about my Gizmo habits so i promised her i'm not buying anything but instead she wanted it more than i did.

Now about the TV..WOW the picture quality will blow your mind. Watching 3D with my Comcast HD Box by turn on 3D was more than i expected. Tried a regular blu-ray with 3D and i was like WOW. Played the free games that came with the purchase on PS3, it takes gaming to another level.
The only little problem i noticed is when you turn on the 3D it takes about 10 seconds for your eyes to get adjusted to the 3D. I heard a lot about getting headaches and feeling of throwing up but nothing of that sort happen to me nor my finance who wears glasses.

I know there is a hugh hole in my pocket now but its worth every line of thread it took out. If you had the money, id recommend you get on, if not then wait for the price to come down and you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars SHARING THE SETTINGS OF THIS GREAT TV, December 11, 2010
GOT THIS FOR AN AMAZING 1499 PLUS TAX DEAL. THE 3D TV, ALICE IN WONDERLAND 3D BUNDLE AND A BASIC 3D BLU RAY PLAYER, IN ADITION I RECEIVED FROM SONY: MICHAEL THIS IS IT, BOLT AND THE VOLUME 1 BLU RAY THE 3D EXPERIENCE AFTER REGISTER MY TV IN SONY STYLE IN JUST 10 DAYS,
WELL THIS TV IS VERY GOOD OUT FROM THE BOX, BUT WITH A FEW SETTING CHANGES, THE PICTURE QUALITY IS REALLY GREAT.. AND FOR THE 3D EFEECT I JUST HAVE SEEN 4 MOVIES SO FAR, THIS IS A REALLY NICE EXPERIENCE, AFTER COMPARING SAMSUNG AND SONY MODELS, I NOTICE THE PICTURE QUALITY IS A LITTLE BIT SHARPER IN SAMSUNG, BUT THE 3D EFFECT I THINK IS MORE REALISTIC AT LEAST IN THIS HX800 MODEL.
HERE I SHARE THE CALIBRATION I MADE FOR THIS

FIRST VERY IMPORTANT FROM PICTURE AND DISPLAY MAIN MENU turn ambient sensor OFFFFFF this thing save energy and try to adapt the amount of light in your room, but you can not see vibrant color, so turn it off
for regular tv and cable channels:

picture mode VIVID
backlight 7
picture 98
brigthness 47-48
color 45
hue G2
color temp COOL
sharpness 19 THIS IS IMPORTANT:19 FOR ME IS GREAT WATCHING IT AT LEAST 11 FEET OR MORE FAR FROM THE TV ....SEE NOTE AT THE END OF THE SETTING

noise red OFF

noise red OFF
mepg noisered OFF
motion flow SMOOTH
cinemotion AUTO1

ABOUT THE SHARPNESS..... I SAW IF YOU ARE WATCHING 7-9 FEET DISTANCE FROM THE TV, YOU BETTER LOW THE SHARPNESS UNTIL 5-6 BECAUSE AT THAT DISTANCE IF YOU GO HIGH THE IMAGE IS GOING TO BE GRAINY, BUT IF YOU ARE, LIKE ME WATCHING AT 12-13 FEET RAISING THE SHARPNESS TO 19-21 GIVES TO THE PICTURE A WOW EFFECT OF REALISM.. WITH THIS LITTLE TOUCH, THE PICTURE QUALITY EASILY REACH TO THE BEST. CHECK IT BY YOURSELF, ENJOY IT AND SHARE PLEASE YOUR OPINION!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D TV at Great Price, January 9, 2011
Great product so far. We have had it since the middle of December 2010. Arrived in perfect condition. Set up was simple and connected to our Sony Blu Ray, 5.1 sound, and TIVO HD easily. Note that if you intend to use the 3d you will need to buy a new 3d blu ray, we purchased the Sony BDP-S570. The options for connections are impressive and with 4 HDMI we have everything connected. The remote control is a typical Sony remote designed by some engineer that has no experience living in the real world. But we use a Logitech Harmony remote and it works to control everything. Picture quality is very impressive, and we are glad we compared this to the Samsung and LG units. The screen is not the shiny style offered by Samsung and LG. Although those look a little better at Best Buy in a dark room we live in a loft with lots of light and this Sony has almost no reflection on the screen even in a sunlit room. Also note that this product is made in Mexico if you care about things like that not in China like some of the others. We purchased the Sony 3D starter kit with two glasses and the transmitter separately and the 3D is quite impressive. When the amount of 3D content catches up it will be nice to have this TV. The only issue we had was with the delivery company. Pilot Delivery services delivery scheduling is REALLY bad, and it might make us reconsider buying something like this from Amazon again. They only have online scheduling and they are not flexible at all. And although it may say you will get something on a specific date when you order online from Amazon that is really up to Pilot and they don't live up to what Amazon promises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony Bravia KDL-46NX810, November 29, 2010
I bought this Sony Bravia from a local electronics store a little over a week ago for a very good price. I was looking for a 2D LCD to put over the fireplace in the living room but they had such a good deal on this television I bought it figuring the kids would enjoy the 3D feature. The television has a very good picture and the internet/media streaming features are great. The LED screen is definitely more efficient and barely gets warm to the the touch after hours of use.

I am giving this television 4 out of five stars because the sound quality is poor and the wifi adaptor does not work as described with wireless G routers.

These televisions are amazingly thin which cuts down on the space available for the speakers. The sound reminds me of those thin portable IPOD speakers. I am now in the process of installing a surround sound system.

Initially the wifi adaptor flawlessly connected to my wireless G network with 4 out of 5 bars signal strength. Then within the first day it began intermittently dropping the connection. When the wifi connection would drop out it would stay out on the television for hours while my laptop was getting 5 out of 5 bars in the same room. I tried everything to resolve this issue including, removing all possible sources of interference, changing the channel on the router, and moving the router closer to the television. I was able to get the television to connect to the G router when it was 24 inches from the television but this is completely unacceptable. The funny thing is like the flip of a switch it would start working again and would continue to work for hours before dropping out. I spent several hours on the phone with Sony support trying to get it working with no luck. I finally contacted the store where I purchased the television and they offered to exchange it. The clerk at the electronics store told me that some of the televisions in the store had been having similar issues and that wireless N seemed to work better with the Sony televisions. I got the new television home from the store and it had the EXACT same issue connecting to my wireless G network. I took a trip to the office supply store and bought a low end wireless 2.4 Ghz N router which also dropped out intermittently. I FINALLY resolved the issue by installing a Belkin N600 dual band wireless router. This router allows devices with wireless N adaptors to connect on the 5 Ghz band instead of 2.4 Ghz. It actually broadcasts two separate networks, one in 2.4 Ghz and the other in 5Ghz. The television finds and connects to the 5 Ghz wireless network without issue. If you buy one of these televisions and plan on using the internal wireless adaptor, go ahead and budget 70 to 100 dollars for a new dual band wireless router.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome TV - Great Picture - Less than perfect Netflix, January 14, 2011
Alan Kaelble (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this TV just before Christmas at American TV, without PS3 bundle (we already had one!). What a great purchase. The picture quality is excellent. Stunning HDTV and blue ray (from PS3). Standard TV from cable box is also very nice. Setup is very easy, and the system updates were straight forward and fast (< 5 minutes)

I was dead set on Samsung, but the combination of picture quality and price was too much to pass up.

Easy to setup. Our connection is wired, not problems, speed is great.

My only 2 negatives are the menu system, and Netflix. The menu system is almost identical to PS3, which is great if you own a PS3. However, the entire concept is less intuitive than other brands. The LG menu system seems to be the most straight forward of any I saw.

The Netflix app works fine, but you CAN NOT search for movies or TV shows from the Sony Netflix app. You can only select items from your Netflix "Instant Que". That means you have to find what you want to watch on the computer, add it to the instant que, then go watch it on Sony TV. Not a total show stopper, but MUCH worse than Samsung, LG, or even the PS3. All these other devices let you search Netflix right from the TV. I expect (or at least hope) than Sony will update in the near future.

Did not get any of the 3D accessories, so can not comment

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Picture, Nice Menu System, December 8, 2010

The menu system is very complete and includes an on-board iManual that is much more complete than the slim paper manual that comes with the set. As others have mentioned, Sony really needs to provide this as a .pdf that can be read on a computer.

Only complaint I have at this point is that the Picture In Picture function is a little deceptive. It only appears to work between one regular input and the D-Sub 15 pin VGA input. In my opinion you should be able to do PIP between any two sources plugged into the set. This is how my old Sony KV-27XBR45 used to work. I'm hoping future driver updates can fix this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of updates, the set can accept new drivers via its internet connection or the USB input. However, not all USB devices are recognized by the set. Sony eSupport provides a list of compatible drives and of course they're all Sony models! This wouldn't fly with a computer. If the set is USB 2.0/FAT32 compatible then any drive meeting those specs should work. Stop making me try to buy Sony USB drives.

Update: I've discovered that for some reason my local broadcasters don't transmit the TV Guide Online service, which renders Sony's guide interface worthless. What's worse is that the set does a poor job displaying the PSIP and EPG data embedded in each station's signal.

At best you get the short descriptor of what you're currently watching and the name of the upcoming show. There's no ability to display a multi-hour programming lineup. There's also no ability to read the current show description on each channel without actually having to tune into it. Both my old $50 ChannelMaster DTV converter and my mother's cheap Vizio HDTV can do these things.

Even if you do tune into each and every channel to read the displays, the information isn't kept when in the channel "browse" mode. Everything other than the channel you're currently on is blank or says "No Info Available". All of the set's cool animated menus and Apple coverflow ripoff displays mean nothing without this most basic function.

Update 2/22/11: My local FOX affiliate has decided to carry the TVGOS service, so the menu system on the set now works as intended. It's quite nice, but without it you still have extremely limited access to traditional PSIP and EPG data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome TV, December 23, 2010
Had this TV for a few weeks now, the picture quality is awesome! Once I turned off all the gimmicky stuff that the TV comes with set up as default settings (Motionflow, Noise Reduction, etc) the picture quality is stunning! I'm a professional colorist in the film industry and have been a filmmaker / photographer/ cinematographer all my life I'm particularly fussy about my image quality on any device. On this TV the blacks can be a little too black sometimes and I haven't been able to adjust this yet to my liking. It either starts to go "muddy" (washed out gray) or really strong contrasty black. But the custom settings adjustments are there for one to tinker with forever which is really important to me. Overall a fantastic image on the TV. Playing Blu-Ray DVDs on it at 1080/24P via HDMI is stunning!

My only rant is Sony's failure to include a built-in wireless network capability so I can easily connect to my home network. After I dropped 1.5 Gs on this TV I am expected to shell out some more dough for a stupid USB wireless adapter to plug into the TV? That's a bit of a joke! But, it doesn't really bother me that much since my Blue-Ray player is hard-wired into the network and that's what I stream (Netflix) through mostly.

The remote isn't the greatest design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Research paid off, March 14, 2011
I was in the market for a new TV and did extensive research online and comparisons at local stores. My selection was narrowed down to this TV and the comparable Samsung LN46C750. I have had several Sony and Samsung products and have had good luck with both. I chose Sony mainly because I thought the picture was sharper and I am more interested in the 240hz display than the 3D capability (3D does not work well for me and usually gives me a headache). Ordered online from Amazon with free shipping and no problems. Estimate I saved about 400 in prices and taxes compared to local stores. Set up was very easy and this TV has one of the sharpest pictures I have ever seen. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a 40-46" TV looking to spend 1k-1200. The other thing that really sold me was at my local Best buy was that they had 3 TVs set up next to each other with the same video being displayed - alot of sports and side scrolling. Each TV had a different hz - 60,10, and 240. I knew there was a big difference between 60 and 120 but the difference between 120 and 240 was equally impressive. If you are in the market for a TV and keep your TVs for an extended period of time, I would really suggest you spend a little extra and get a 240hz model.

PROS: Picture quality is amazing - My wife had Oh God (a movie I despise) on TV playing from our DVR and I could not stop watching it. The clarity was almost lifelike.

Cons: No built in wireless - Have to buy a 30-40 USB adapter. Not a big deal but I would have though this would be internal.

I would recommend this to everyone and anyone. Simply the best TV I have ever owned.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›