Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on June 8, 2011
First of all this TV has fantastic features. Until now most of the Sony TVs are matte finish screens which are non-reflective. Although Sony TVs are the best but when compared to Samsung, Sony has been lacking a little crispiness and black levels in the picture. Now Sony with this OptiContrast panel has overcome the shadow of Samsung in picture crispiness and black levels.

The picture processing is amazing with brighter picture and excellent black levels. The black color is real black not blue black like before.

I have connected regular DVD player and Blu-ray player to this TV. I have compared 1080/24P (Blu-ray) picture vs 1080/60P (DVD). I have done this test with the movies Inception, The Dark Night and Shrek. The DVD picture quality almost matched with Blu-ray picture quality. Black levels, picture consistency and amazing crispness have been achieved through the OptiContrast panel and X-Reality Engine. Blu-ray movies are awesome with this TV but DVD movies are no less. You can rent DVDs from Redbox and enjoy the Blu-ray picture quality.

When I connected the TV to regular DVD player in Standard Definition mode, the TV has automatically upgraded the picture. I had some doubts over the SD contents before buying, but this TV came up with better SD content and picture processing than previous TVs from Sony. When I have compared this with my other Samsung LED 46D8000 TV, I could see that Sony has bettered the SD picture processing. The TV upgrades the SD content to HD content level. This is the best part of this TV.

Sony and Samsung have kept certain benchmarks (standards) for the TVs in their own path. Sony until 2010 did not venture into reflective screens where Samsung was outclassing the Sony's matte finish. With this NX720, HX820 and HX929 models Sony stepped into the reflective screens and achieved amazing black levels and brighter picture.

Another advantage for this TV is Corning Gorilla Glass. At first when I knocked the NX720 screen hard with my side first, the picture bloomed and came back to normal. When I knocked on Samsung screen lightly with middle finger, the picture shook very wildly and it looked like it might break easily. Sony scores marks over the other TVs with the Corning Gorilla Glass. I have seen ads from Sony and Corning about the strength of the Gorilla Glass but still need to see the durability although the glass on the TV appears stronger. Someone really needs to try breaking this TV and see how much strong this screen is. :)

I have tested the sound and the quality is good. One great thing about Sony is, it delivers 5.1 Channel Audio output. I have Comcast HD DVR cable connection. High Definition movies come up with 5.1 channel audio and this TV delivers exact replication. I have tested this with/without Home Theater connection. Still the sound is very good without the Home theater speakers. Another place where Sony scores marks over the rivals is it delivers 5.1 channel output through Optical Audio output. Other TVs deliver only 2 channel Audio through the Optical Audio output.

If you are too much into technical specs, NX720 TV panel is 120Hz panel by default. HX820 and HX929 panels are much more better with 240Hz refresh rate. Do not be confused with the panel refresh rate with motion blur processing. Both are separate. As per my knowledge all the TV panels are 60Hz panels and 240Hz motion blur or flow processing is added to the TVs. Sony is coming with better panel refresh rates 120HZ and 240Hz. Added to it 240Hz or higher motion flow processing betters your TV. I am impressed with the NX720 motion blur processing. The motion blur is getting better and better. There are no artifacts noticed so far surrounding the images.

The 3D picture conversion from 2D is very good. Still testing the feature with Blu-ray DVD but so far the conversion is at its best.
The original 3D movies are the best to watch. Looks like Sony dealt with off-angle view issues. The 3D effect in the off-angle view is better than the previous TV line up. But if you sit in extreme angles like corner angles then the 3D view looked bit uncomfortable. For any 3D TV the off-angle view is a problem and this TV scores marks in this too.

I tested the internet features. The internet content is good but there are lesser applications available for Sony when compared to Samsung. The Netflix and Youtube videos are very good to watch. We don't get the QWERTY remote like Samsung but you can handle this with media remote application from IPhone and Android phones.

Not to mention the best gaming experience with PS3! Fantastic 3D gaming experience on this TV.

This is definitely one of the best TVs with amazing crispy picture and better 3D processing.

NX720 is a thin TV but still the bezel is bit bulky but I don't mind it because this is an amazing TV for my living room. I like the Samsung D8000 TV because it has very thin bezel. Hope Sony concentrates on this in future.

Do not forget to update the firmware for NX720 model from Sony support or you can update it from the TV itself after you connect the TV to internet through WIFI. I did not test the Skype feature. It is cool to have it but I still use my computer or laptop for Skype. In future TVs should come up with Web Camera in built.

I will update my review if I find anything significant good or bad about this TV other than I mentioned in this review. Bottom line is you won't be disappointed with this TV.

I like both Sony and Samsung TVs. Both are the best in their own ways. I wish to share main differences after seeing both TVs closely. Picture, black levels and Edge LED local dimming are almost the same with minor differences.

Only very few things separate them.
1. Bezel - Sony has bit bulky bezel whereas Samsung has very thin Bezel. Thickness wise both are the same.
2. Optical Audio output - Sony produces 5.1 channel. Samsung produces 2 channel.
3. Corning Gorilla Glass - If it confirmed that Gorilla glass is really tough to break then your TV is much safer with Sony than Samsung.
4. QWERTY keyboard remote for internet - Sony does not have one but you can manage with media remote application. Samsung delivers QWERTY keyboard remote which is bit difficult to pair up with the TV but works better after that.
5. Internet Applications - Samsung has more applications than Sony at present. You can buy Sony Google Blu-ray player to have Android applications but it is still expensive.
6. 3D Glasses - Samsung is venturing with Bluetooth capable which is better technology. Pairing might be somewhat difficult sometimes but once you establish it then it is the best.

I might have missed somethings but these are noticeable differences between Sony and Samsung TV line up for 2011.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2011
This TV is replacing my 2 1/2 year old Samsung 61" DLP. I wanted to get something thinner with no rear projection system and full HD 3D.

Right out of the box, the picture is quite stunning. The colors are accurate and the contrast ratio is very good. As usual though with any "default" setting, the sharpness is up too high revealing digital artifacts with too much edge enhancement. A quick calibration with any calibration DVD or Blu-Ray takes care of these problems. I will say that I did not need to adjust the color and tint settings. They were spot on.

When you first turn on the TV, you are presented with a series of screens to setup language, screen settings, network and other various options. It goes pretty quick. Nothing too difficult. If you use MAC security on your router, you will need to skip the network setup part and do it later since you will need to retrieve the MAC code from the network setup menus. Also, the internal WiFi adapter is 2.4 GHz only. It does not run at 5 GHz. You will need a separate adapter to do 5 GHz.

Once I had everything setup, I did various tests from different sources. Satellite TV, Blu-Ray and online streaming from Netflix and YouTube. All looked excellent. As much as I'm not a big fan of "Motionflow" technology, this TV does it quite well so I might leave it turned on. Fast actions scenes with Motionflow look quite amazing.

The anti-glare glass screen is the biggest surprise. Reflections are very subdued so if you have lots of light in the room, you won't have any problems seeing the picture.

3D from true 3D sources work as expected. Things pop right out of the screen. The simulated 3D works just OK. Depth is not all that great. It's more of a novelty than anything else.

The setup menus are very PS3'ish. Sort of the same design. If you have a PS3, you will be right at home when navigating the menus.

Now a few of the flaws.

1. When placing the TV on the included stand, its quite unstable. It seems that Sony was sort of lackluster when designing the stand. I guess they figure most people will mount the TV on the wall. In the documentation, it does mention a few ways to stabilize the TV but overall, it's probably not a good idea to use the stand especially if you have kids.

2. The viewing angle quality could be a bit better. If you are right in front of the TV, the contrast and colors look wonderful. As soon as you stray a bit to the left, right, up or down, you begin to see some contrast issues especially in a dark room. Honestly, it's not a big deal but depending on the content you are watching, it could be a big problem for those sitting at an angle. I did notice that the TV automatically adjusts the picture depending on the light in the room to minimize the problem. Every LCD TV I own has this problem so it's really nothing new but Sony has done a pretty good job trying to keep it from being a huge issue.

3. Since the screen is so flat, the hookups on the back have very thin clearance. If you have a HDMI cable with a thick outer shell on the connector, you might have a problem hooking it up. It took me a few minutes getting the HDMI cable just at the right angle so it would slip into the connector on the TV.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. Sony has basically done it again. The picture quality is very good. With all of the great features and built in internet access, you would be hard pressed to find anything better at this price point.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2011
Well, my son loaned me his 40 inch TV to take the place of my 5 year old 30 inch TV. I loved the bigger TV because it was so much easier on my aging eyes. I loved that bigger TV...for a solid 8 days, until it broke. I couldn't simply go back to my 30 incher, so I finally bit the bullet and purchased this TV. After watching it for a week or so, I am very glad I did so.

The setup was reasonably easy and quick. The TV found my network and connected with no problems. The Internet setup of this TV is somewhat different than that of the Sony Blu-ray I purchased to accompany the TV. The Blu-ray allows me to easily access Amazon's free-to-Prime customers downloads of movies and TV shows. I haven't been able to figure out how to make the TV access as easy. Of course, I don't "need" the TV access because I have access via the Blu-ray player, but in some sense it would still be nice if I could use the TV itself for access. I don't (yet) subscribe to Netflex or similar services, so unfortunately I have no comment on their ease of use. Edited to add: After the TV updated itself (very easy!) it no longer was able to connect to the Internet. My computer-expert son had to manually connect it. If I was able to subtract a halof-star so that the rating was 4.5 stars, I would do so.

The instruction book is on the skimpy side. Thankfully there is an "i-manual" on the TV itself, which is handy. Still, I guess I'd have liked more detail in the print manual, especially about issues such as setting up Internet access. On the plus side, the TV just finished up-dating its software with no glitches, so I know that my Internet access is at least semi OK.

The picture on the TV seems significantly brighter than that on the old TVs. I like this feature. A feature that takes a bit more to get used to is how the TV handles scenes with rapid (or, even in some cases, not so rapid) motion. Often the people or objects seem to "glide" across the scene. It's hard to describe but I think that once you see it, you'll understand. Presently this effect is somewhat jarring, but as I've watched more on the TV, this effect has become somewhat less disconcerting. Perhaps ultimately I'll grow accustomed to it.

The TV definitely runs much cooler than did my 5-year old 30 inch TV or, especially, the 4-year old 40 inch TV. I expect that this difference is due to the use of LCDs as the light source. Given that I live in Florida, this heat saving is hugely appreciated.

One drawback is that the package did not include any 3-D glasses. Because I doubt I'll ever watch much (or any) 3-D at home, this point does not bother me.

Amazon's delivery was first class. The TV even came a day earlier than initially promised. Of course, unless you live next door to me and get the same delivery person, your mileage may vary.

Another huge advantage has been Amazon's low-price guarantee. Merely by checking on Amazon's web page, I have (so far) saved slightly more than $250 by submitting multiple "found a lower price" link to Amazon. Perhaps if I was more ambitious and looked at still more websites, I could save even more, but checking Amazon's alone is just so easy....

EDIT: As I have gained experience with the TV, I'd subtract another half star (and be down to 4 stars) due to frustrating Internet access and even more annoying Sony help. At 12:00 noon today, the Internet access was fine. We watched a free-to-Amazon Prime customer TV show. But at 6:30, with absolutely no changes, it failed. After 30 minutes of repeatedly successfully connecting to my network and the Internet(at least according to the TV) and still being unable to access Amazon I decided to use the apparently helpful Sony help screen built into the TV. There was a nice 800 number, which I dialed...only to discover that 7:10PM Eastern time is "after hours" for Sony help and if I wanted to talk to someone, I had to call some other long-distance number. I decided I'd call tomorrow. I have my fingers crossed...
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 14, 2011
I am very pleased with my new television. It has an excellent picture and the remote is easy to operate. I have other Sony televisions and have never had a problem with any of them. I am also pleased with purchasing the TV from Amazon. I had previously purchased TV's for two or three online stores in the New York Area. These companies immediately called and tried to sell me additional products and extended warranties. I did not like their hard sell approach. Buying from Amazon was much different. Once I made the purchase there were no followup phone calls. They kept me well informed till the product arrived. I will continue to support Amazon with other purchases.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2012
FYI, I purchased the 60" from Amazon, not 46" like it states above. Also, still loving this tv an PQ after 3yrs, and use it mostly to watch HD tv/movies from my computer, but over-the-air HD tv is breathtaking as well. I also wanted to note that I've had this tv on a UPS/Surge protector for most of its life, and have not had one issue.

After spending almost a year trying to rid myself of my monstrous 32" CRT and researching new sets, I settled on this one. My budget wasn't too rigid, so I considered most of the top of the line LED models from Samsung, Sony, & Panasonic. Already having just upgraded my bedroom tv with a Panasonic LED, I knew a little about what I was looking for and what I really wanted to avoid this go around. My requirements were few. I wanted a 55" LED tv with a terrific 2D picture, and with as little apparent QA or LED defects as possible (flashlighting, clouding, light bleed).

The forerunners were Samsung's D8000 and pretty much all the Sony's, including the EX720, which has a semi-matte display. I was a bit worried about reflections, so I thought the EX720 would be a better fit, and I really couldn't tell the difference between the EX and NX in the store. After a whole lot of research and looking at tvs, I excluded Samsung for quite a few personal reasons. I found the Samsung displays glossier and more reflective than Sony's, the colors seemed unnaturally saturated and excessively bright (at least in Vivid), & a sweeping number of QA & inconsistent production complaints, made me more than a bit apprehensive. No one wants to be on the losing end of a display lottery.

And even though I really couldn't tell the difference between the NX & EX in the store, I went with what countless experts and owners have consistently recommended (CNET's 2011 Editor's Choice award winner) . I also considered the fully backlit HX929, but with its inflated price tag, and a number of complaints regarding panel defects, I ruled that one out as well. I just didn't want to take the chance, and a 55" tv really shouldn't cost that much, unless it's serving me dinner. Spending a number of weeks trying to get the best price in store or online, I was finally able to get a pretty decent price match from Amazon. And because after a year of looking at 55" tv, the size started looking smaller and smaller, I decided to go with a 60". So I went from a 9yr old 32" CRT to a 60" LED.

White glove delivery was okay, but it could have definitely gone a lot smoother. Apparently, the delivery company only delivers to my town twice a week. They of course balked when I mentioned the time/day I scheduled on Amazon's site, which obviously means nothing to some. When they informed me of this, stated they wouldn't give me a scheduled time (they expected me to sit at home and wait all day), and suggested that I just come and get it myself, I was clearly baffled that Amazon would contract such a company, especially since they made it clear they don't usually deliver to my area. And since I didn't have a car big enough or the man power to pick up that size tv, I had to find a way to talk the delivery company, into delivering the tv they were contracted to deliver. Anyways, long story short, I had to talk to a few people to make it happen, and over a week after my scheduled date of delivery, I had my tv.

My first impression of this tv, is its size. The thing is huge. Even bigger up close than in the store. There was a bit of trouble assembling the stand, because the delivery guy first claimed to have done it countless times, only to find out that he had never put this particular tv stand together. So after I took over the task of set up, everything seemed fine. I was worried I would get a faulty stand, like others received, but mine turned out straight and solid, if not a bit weak for a tv of this size. Pro/Con style for the remaining list of my impressions for this set:[...]
No apparent issues, such as clouding, flashlighting, or light bleed, and my letter boxes are inky black. One of the main reasons for going with this tv is its reliability and a consistent track record. I didn't inadvertently enter a panel lottery and just get lucky. I spent 2K and expect a certain level of QA, even with the inherent issues that come with buying an edge-lit LED.

60" Size (It's big, and maybe a little too big, I thought at first. About double in size from my last set)

Price (More bang for the buck, when compared to Samsung and Sony's HX models. Especially when considering overall customer satisfaction and included features/PQ).

Deep Inky Blacks (when calibrated, this set can rival some plasmas in that category.)

BD/HD PQ (Incredible High Def picture), and the colors are extremely natural.

Wireless Integration (Cool feature, if a bit weak, and really not something I will ever use. I'm glad I have it, but frankly if I started needing to connect, I would use a hard-line for faster speed.)

Apps (lots of Apps to choose from, but again not something I need or want. I already have plenty of other devices with all the same Apps.)

The base is clean and sleek looking, if a bit dated. The bezel is almost invisible when off, due to a single sheet of monolith glass covering both the bezel and display.

Monolith Display (sexy as hell, and something I didn't think I cared about, but I love it and the reflections are really not that bad. I have a 9 foot wide sliding balcony door that's adjacent, and I rarely notice reflections during the day. My semi-matte had just as bad reflections, but they dispersed differently and more annoying I might add.)

The Tuner isn't at all bad (I get about the same or a little more channels, with the same over-the-air set-up I had before).
Slow Menus (It's mostly an issue at start-up. The menus are slow and clunky for the first couple of minutes, so impatient people may get annoyed)

Less than stellar SD/DVD PQ (Not horrible, and I'm sure it has something to do with getting a 60", instead of something smaller. So those who go big, be forewarned.)

The base I received wasn't defective, but it does seem a bit weak, for a tv of this size. There is no tilt or right-left movement with the base that comes with the 60". I would understand the reasons for ommiting tilt, but being able to shift the tv right and left would have been benificial.

Viewing Angle (A little washed out if viewed from the extreme side, but that's not an issue for me.)

Sound (Obviously, this is a weakness that almost every super thin tv will suffer from. It's simple physics, you can't get great sound with little room to move air. I have a sound system, so it could come without sound and I wouldn't have cared.)

HDMI issues with connecting my PC via a HDMI-DVI cable. My tv kept dropping ARC and not detecting my AVR, every time I connected the cable. It took me days of figuring this out and right before sending my AVR to the service center. I tried all the HDMI plugs on my tv and AVR with the same results. When I disconnect, my ARC comes back. I have no clue why this is or if it's a compatibility issue. Update below, problem fixed with new CPU.

3D is definitely not this tv's strong point, however it was never a deciding factor for me. More below.

3D observations
3D isn't awesome, but it isn't bad either. I didn't buy this tv for its 3D and I knew its weaknesses going in, so I wasn't disappointed with this less than stellar feature. I wasn't going to even try it, but I got curious a week into owning the tv, so I purchased a pair of PS3 3D glasses and a copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth. I didn't see much crosstalk, blurriness, or double images with this movie, and I didn't have trouble with the 3D disappearing, which is actually a product of the glasses you are using. The picture looked in fact 3D, but I also did get a little motion sick, which didn't occur while watching Avatar 3D in theaters. No doubt, the 3D is much better on a 240hz tv, so go in that direction, if you are planning on taking advantage of this particular feature.

In summary, I am very glad I ultimately decided on this tv and the 60" size, which I'm quickly acclimating to. The PQ and Black levels are incredible, given the right content, and acceptable when viewing SD/DVDs. Overall, this has got to be one of the best bangs for your buck in LED for 2011.

Update: It's been a couple of weeks and I'm still loving this tv. Awesome 2D/HD and the colors are beautiful. Regarding my issue with my tv dropping out of ARC, every time I connected to my CPU via HDMI-DVI cable, it turns out it was my CPU. I finished building my first PC, and I didn't have the same issue when connecting to the new computer with the same cable and tv.

My Settings:

Setting Memory: [any]
Picture Mode: Customize Any
Backlight: 4 (TV) 3 (Movies)
Picture: 95
Brightness: 50 (TV) 49 (Movies)
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Warm 2
Sharpness: 20 (BD)/ 25-30 (TV/DVD) / 40-50 (PC)
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot noise reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off (Note Below)
CineMotion: Off

Setting Memory: [any]
Wide Mode: Full
Auto Wide: Off
4:3 Default: Off [grayed out]
Auto Display Area: Off (Option greyed out when watching non-HDMI content)
Display Area: Full Pixel (1080i/BD/DVD) Normal (SD)
Screen Position: [grayed out]

--Scene Select menu--

--Eco menu--
Power Saving: Off
Light Sensor: Off

If you prefer to use the 240hz Motionflow, for fast movies, change the Motionflow setting to Clear and, bump up the backlight about 4 notches (so for BD from 3 to 7, brightness 50). You might also want to try Cinemotion (Auto-2) setting for 24p sources.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2011
I did a lot of research, I thought, before purchasing this unit. I had size limitations to fit into an existing cabinet so the newer slim bezel smart tvs in the 46 inch size were the largest I could go with. Note to anyone who purchases a tv online - OPEN THE BOX WHEN THEY DELIVER! The first unit that I received showed no signs on damage on the box. I excitedly moved my old set, and unpacked the new one only to find that the screen was badly cracked. Amazon was good about sending a replacement, but dropped the ball on arranging for the shipper to pick up the damaged unit when they delivered the replacement as the promised on the phone. This resulted in me having to take more time to be at home to allow pick up of the damaged unit. Somewhat disappointed with that - I expected the CS to be better on follow through.

I was mainly comparing this and the upper level Samsungs. 3D is not overly important to me but I was intrigued and interested in the smart tv features - streaming netflix, streaming Amazon On Demand, Pandora, etc. This was the main reason I choose to go with the higher end model that had wireless and these features. Based on the idea of the unit becoming an efficient hub for those features. Unfortunately this area is where this tv looses stars for my rating. I am not a huge technophile or video junkie, but I know enough to be dangerous and wanted good quality and features. The possibility exists that I am missing something in application or set up in the features that I cannot get to work - I actually hope so, but have no idea how to find out.

First the Pros:

- the unit is clean looking, light and was very easy to assemble and put in place.
- hook up to Fios and my 5 year old Samsung DVD/receiver was easy
- the unit recognized those components and through the HDMI control command provides control of the Samsung DVD player through the remote with no setup on my part.
- The picture is great. I have played around with the settings some and have been okay with some of the preset features on picture.
- Price seemed very competitive to the upper level Samsung units when comparing features.
- TV speakers are not bad. More than adequate for average viewing.

Now the Cons:

After getting things set up I tried Pandora out. Excited at the idea of having this play through my receiver and speakers. Again based on my idea that this tv would work as a hub for all these cool new features.) Pandora works fine, but oddly the sound switches back to the TV speakers. I play around and switch it to the external speakers. The signal from the Fios box starts playing. I turn off the Fios. Now nothing comes out of the speakers. After spending a while playing with settings and becoming frustrated, I called Sony support. Only to be told that due to the fact that the set only has one output - the optical output - and something about the format of that output, none of the internet based content will be able to be played through the external speakers. That OLDER models had an analog output that would let you do this, but NONE of the newer set have this. That if I want to have those apps play sound through my external speakers I will have to buy a receiver that will access the apps itself.

I also tried hooking up an ipod through a cradle that I bought with a USB connection. The TV recognizes that the ipod is there, but does not see any files. I assume this is a file format problem. But again it is a big disappointment.

To me this is a HUGE HUGE disappointment. This basically renders my choice to buy the higher level set BECAUSE of the these features as complete wrong. As I stated, I am not a huge video or audio perfectionist. But if I am listening to music - I want it to play through the stereo speakers - not the puny TV speakers. If I am watching a movie, I want it to at least have the option of playing through the speakers. I don't know if perhaps this is a software type thing that they can change in a firmware update, but it has me considering returning the set. With this being the case, I might as well save money on the tv as it is STILL only an output display - despite all the misleading advertising to the contrary - and use the money I save to buy a dvd/bd/receiver unit that will connect to all of the internet applications. I suspect that the picture quality would be the same or close to it.

I am curious as to whether this problem is a Sony thing or if it is true of all brands selling "smart TVs." Not knowing that answer combined with the hassle of returning will probably keep me from returning the unit. I will just suck it up and buy a receiver/dvd that does the internet stuff. But overall this has really ruined my satisfaction with my purchase and I would not really recommend buying this level of TV, as there just doesn't seem to be much point. Save the money and put it in the accessories that you will need to have all these features actually work the way anyone would expect them to work.

I believe that my problems with the sound may have been a bad cable. However, I still have extreme disappointment in Sony tech support that they were completely inept and apparently gave me completely inaccurate information when I called. In the end I ended up purchasing an Sony surround sound system/blue ray with the HDMI ARC capability. Together the two systems seem to work fairly well, although there are some glitches that are a bit frustrating. Not a big deal to me, but I dread calls from my wife if they were to happen while I was away. The interface is not as seamless as it should be between the two Sony systems.

I still stand by my earlier opinion that you would be better off to save money on the TV and plan to buy a sound/BR system with it. The SMART tv features are somewhat disappointing on the TV. The surround system I got has an Ipod dock and it works nicely. I can play the internet streaming things through the tv on the Sony surround system without a problem. But in hindsight, I truly believe I could have been just as happy with a tv a few levels lower (from a picture quality standpoint) and used that money on the surround system and saved $400.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2011
I used this set for more than three months now. The picture is outstanding. Black level is outstanding. The TV can be set up for a very bright picture or a normal picture. The backlight settings are from minimum (0)through maximum (10). I use it at 7, the factory seting. Interestingly, at this setting, the tv uses between 35 and 52 Watts, depending on the scene on the TV. This is far less than the 182 Watts listed in the specifications. With the WiFi on, the power consumption increases by about 5 Watts. This is an incredibly energy efficient TV.

Off axis viewing leaves a bit to be desired. Much beyond 45 degrees or so left or right (90 degrees total viewing angle), the picture begins to turn milky. Beyond 60 degrees in either direction (120 degree total viewing angle), it is bad. However, in my environment, that makes no difference with two chairs in front and a couch off to the side, the picture is excellent.

There are a number of picture settings. I like it with most of the enhancements turned off. I recommend you experiment with one on at a time. Some are down right annoying with people seeming to be out of the scene. This not a negative comment. Set it up as you prefer.

3D is OK. Yogi Bear was great. The main problem I see is where there is a bright image over a dark background. I can see two images faintly. Apparently, the 3D glasses still let through some of the previous frame's image. However, on normal scenes with the background and characters with nearly the same brightness, this is not apparent. This would not discourage me from making the purchase again. 3D is nice, but not perfect. I have seen no TVs that are any better; and this is one of the best for 3D.

Regarding sound... It is acceptable. Volume is adequate. That is about all one could expect from speakers that do not face the viewer. Most TVs are coming that way now. For good sound, a home theater set up is a must. My preference is for shows with rockets and ray-guns. For normal TV shows, the Sony sound system is fine.

I am happy with the purchase and would buy it again. It is the best TV I've seen in my investigations.

The above is my review after owning it. Below was my first take on the TV while I was doing research.

Since there are no reviews yet on the Internet for this new set, I visited our local TV store; and reviewed the 55" version from top to bottom. I'm assuming the 60" version is similar. I liked it so much, I ordered the 60" one. I will do an update after mine arrives.

Compared to the other sets in the showroom, from several manufacturers, including previous Sony models, the picture was the best by far. There was plenty of detail in the darker scenes, as well as in the brighter scenes. The picture clarity was outstanding with exceptional color accuracy. I saw no pixelization in rapidly changing scenes. The picture reminded me of a plasma display, which produces a much better picture than most LCD displays. I could not view the 3D feature (no glasses available and they are not included with the set), but it was very good in previous models. I expect it to be as good or better in this model. I could not review the sound as it was turned down on all sets. It does not matter to me as I will use my THX surround system for the sound.

I noticed two things that could be improved: Although, background reflections from lights in the store were suppressed somewhat, it was not as good as other sets nearby. The off-axis light and color faded significantly when viewing from a slight angle from perpendicular. There is no way a reasonable picture can be viewed through the gorilla glass with a total viewing angle much more than 30 degrees off-axis (60 degrees total). The spec. is nearly 180 degrees. In reality, that is just not the case unless a dim, grayish image is OK at a steep angle. Since I will be viewing the image nearly direct on, it will not bother me.

Power usage is significantly less than my rear projection 60" HD set the new one will be replacing. The new set will not steal power when it is turned off.
on December 5, 2011
We have only had the Sony KDL60NX720 about a week but we are pleased. The picture is essentially perfect in both HD and in 3D. So far we have only played one BluRay 3d Ultimate Wave Tahiti but it was excellent using both the Sony BR50 glasses and the Sony BR250. We had a problem with a pair of 3D glasses from NGX that were supposed to work on Sony but did not and those are going back. They were less money but absolutely just didn't work. When the Sony glasses are turned on then WOW the picture in 3D is just excellent. The Sony glasses are worth the extra money and the smaller Sony glasses can be worn by adults. At this point our take on 3D in general is that it is way past the gimmick stage but it isn't something you want to watch for more than the length of a movie. Your eyes tend to be scanning faster trying to pick out all the effects and everyone has remarked that their eyes feel tired.

This is our first smart TV and there is a learning curve. The TV is a bit more capable than we had realized and so getting through the I-Manual or owners manual which is stored on the TV is more of a challenge than just setting up a regular TV. We have ours hard wired to the ethernet so we didn't use the wireless feature. An example of the very sophisticated features on this TV that we had not realized are that if a child gets within 3' of the TV it turns off. That feature can be turned off if you want. Also the TV has a type of built in camera that records where you are sitting and makes adjustments to the picture to accomodate you. We had not realized that and going through the set up we suddenly realized that in the lower right corner of the TV there we were. Couldn't believe it so we both started waving to make sure that was us. Yep. So the technology built into this TV far exceeded our expectations. We have made no adjustments to the factory settings for picture and simply use the Vivid setting which seems a bit brighter than our previous Sony. We feed the TV a steady diet of DishNet HD and the picture tends to be perfect. We were showing our Grandkids Gnomio and Juliet and the colors and detail were fascinating. DishNet sends a 1080i signal and the typical BluRay is 1080P. Can't see much difference.

Our TV sits in a very bright room during the daytime and while the picture is excellent there is a bit more glare off the screen than our older Sony which was about two years old and a EX5500 with a more matt finished screen. The gorilla glass is beautiful and shiny and I'm not about to test it for scratch resistance but it is very polished and with a window with sun coming through you will see more reflection. At night that problem goes away. Even in the daytime the picture itself is so stunning that you simply ignore any glare which in fairness is relatively small but reading the ads for gorilla glass I had expected no glare.

The internet applications at this point seem more hype than reality. The few times we have tried to get into it have failed and you miss a keyboard. Our new Samsung BluRay player also has apps on it and that has been easier to use. I am sure over time if it became something we wanted to explore more the internet application is something that we could get more used to. Pandora works very well and that would lead me to believe that the other apps would also.

One more positive note. The sound from the TV is much better than our older Sony. Also we have run the fiber optical digital sound cable from the TV to our stereo receiver since it is an older Yamaha without the HDMI connections. No echo and the sound is just excellent. For normal viewing the TV sound alone is fine and then for a good movie we use the Yamaha receiver. To get DTS sound when available we also have a optical line going from the BluRay player to the Yamaha receiver and then we turn the TV sound down. At some point the Yamaha will die and we will replace it with another Yahaha with HDMI connections. We also tried the headphone audio outlet on the TV and that is fine although the headphone outlet on the Yahaha is easier to use.

Amazon did a fine job of getting this TV to us fast. I notice that other sellers are available but we used Amazone which we tend to do whenever possible.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2012
I recently purchased four new tv's for my house, two Sony's and two Samsungs, so I can compare these TV's literally side by side. The TV's I purchased are:

1. Sony Bravia XBR55HX929 LED LCD TV
2. Sony Bravia KDL46NX720 LED LCD TV
3. Samsung PN59D8000 Plasma TV
4. Samsung UN46D7000 LED LCD TV

Out of all four, I would recommend the Sony KDL from a performance and price perspective. The KDL was $1,200 as compared to the XBR at $2,699, and honestly most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two. Save the money here. But I love both of them. I would recommend the Sony HTCT550W Sound Bar though, it makes a great step up in sound if you don't want to go the whole home theater route with speakers all over a room.

I am less enthusiastic about the Samsungs. The Samsung PN59D8000 went in my home theater room, and it does have a great picture and I love watching basketball games on it, but it does emit an audible buzzing noise, and it is really noticeable when you sit directly in front of the TV about ten feet out. When the Home Theater guys got me set up, they said that was normal for a plasma to emit a low buzzing noise like that, and that it wasn't a defective tv. I wasn't aware of that when I bought a plasma, so heads up.

The worst tv on my list is the Samsung UN46D7000. I wanted to like this tv, I really did, as it is a great looking tv with the clear bezel and sharp looking silver stand, but the performance is so far below the other tv's on this list it isn't funny. Quite simply, it can't handle sports and fast motion without going blocky and an extreme amount of blurring. And, the tv was $300 more than the Sony KDL46NX720. Save $300 and go with the Sony, you'll be better off. And yes, I spent one whole evening trying different calibrations from other user reviews to attempt to give my tv different settings to help with the issue, but no luck. I would not recommend this tv.

Overall, since plasmas apparently emit a low buzzing noise, and the UN46D7000 has some severe performance issues, I would go with the Sonys. And unless you are an Audiophile, save the $1,500 and go with the KDL.

That's my observations after about two months ownership.
on January 22, 2012
I received the 55-inch NX720 at noon on January 20th. Contrast, colors, brightness and blacks were phenomenal. Then the day grew dim, and soon I began to notice the light seeping through its pores. Faint, random patches of white all over the screen, and two 'flashlights' in each bottom corner, when showing a black image with small amounts of white. "Unacceptable!" I cried, thinking of the laughter such flaws would provoke when my plasma-owning friends came over, and promptly arranged for a return.

The next day, I began to play around with the settings. I discovered that the flashlighting was most pronounced in Game mode, which I had set the TV to, as I primarily use it to view content on a PC or game console. Other modes, like Cinema, managed to subdue the effect almost entirely, leaving only slight traces of the corner flashlights when viewed in a darkened room. This was less unacceptable, but not by enough, since I demand a lag-free input experience.

So I experimented with settings in Game mode some more, and managed to subdue most of the flashlighting by setting "LED Dynamic Control" to "Standard", and by re-enabling the Light Sensor, which adjusts the brightness based on ambient light. This makes the image rather dimmer, though not unacceptably so.

After all this, I found myself hemming and hawing over whether to return the NX720 for, say, a plasma. But I chanced upon a forum post where someone claimed to have gone through three NX720s before finally receiving one without flashlighting. Aside from minor flaws like an unlit remote and wonky menus, this TV would be nearly perfect if it could sustain consistent blacks for a dark image, in Game mode, with the Light Sensor disabled.

So now I await a second NX720, and hope the second, rather than the third or fourth time, will be the charm.

Oh, and in case you're worried about potential glare from the glass screen, you probably needn't be, unless you set the TV flat on the floor with a skylight overhead, yourself suspended in midair with the noon sun at your back. With the sun shining through my window and a dark image on display, I could see the reflection of my legs if I looked for it. Apple could learn a thing or two from Sony about reducing the glare in its glass screens. Not even the CRTs of yore would have fared as well.

UPDATE 01/27/12

I've received a replacement NX720, which has less pronounced flashlighting/bleeding, but is still distracting. If you aren't planning on using this TV primarily in Game mode, then I wouldn't hesitate to get it, since these issues are absent for non-Game modes. For my purposes, however, I'll be trying out a Samsung PND7000 next. (Coincidentally, the PND7000 and NX720 were CNET's top plasma and LED of 2011. Their TV editor, David Katzmaier, prefers the PND7000 and plasmas generally, but recommends the NX720 for those who prefer LED.)