Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on July 6, 2010
So I read the other reviews trying to find out if I should buy this tv or not and I didnt really get the information I needed from them to make an educated decision; I was very concerned with it being 60hz rather than 120hz, I read a lot of reviews talking about "blurring" "ghosting" and such for 60hz. I then did my research on my blu ray player(my Playstation 3). Turns out the Playstation 3 only does 60hz or 30hz, and on most games only does 720p. So with no intent on up-grading blu ray players this tv was an excellent choice, I have no regrets at all. Just watched Avatar on blu ray, looked awesome!!! no "blurring" or anything like the 120hz and up snobby crowd would have you believing with their tales of imaginary blurring and ghosting. Works great with hdtv and my 1080p laptop. I tweaked the picture settings to my likings, I suggest you do this too to get the most out of it, a helpful hint, the best colors to do this is with red, black and white, if you get those 3 colors looking good the rest fall into place.
33 comments72 of 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2010
I purchased this TV 3/1/10. Did the usual research most people do before buying a large screen TV. When compared, side by side, to
other major brand tvs, the set's picture quality was at least as good if not better than anything out there. The colors were vivid and life-like with excellent clarity. As I don't watch many sporting events, I decided that the 120hz refresh rate in the more expensive
model wasn't needed and, I was right. At home, after a fifteen minute setup, the picture is great and the sound is more than adequate
for watching programing from your local cable outlet(in my case Comcast). The only feature I miss from the more expensive model is the swivel base, but I can learn to live without it. For the typical couch potato, this tv fits the bill perfectly!
0Comment28 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2010
This is our first flat panel TV, so maybe we are over enthusiastic about it. It's great! Nice crisp image and the digital tuner brings in off-the-air signals more solidly than we've experienced before. The controls are fairly clear and the remote is good. All of the automatic features work as advertised. The only down side was that when feeding it from our 4 year old Toshiba DVD player, there were 2 to 5 second black gaps where it seemed to be catching up with itself. We were running the signal in using component video connections. We contacted Sony's email help and they were pretty useless. The first thing they wanted me to do was to upgrade the firmware to a version one before the one currently installed. Once we got that straightened out I was given a 800 number to call. Been there, done that!! So instead we dropped by Costco and picked up a Sony Blu-Ray/DVD player on sale and --- life is good. I'm now connected via HDMI. Great connection.
The only other (small) trouble is that the remote has the usual directional buttons in a circle with an outer circle of system controls. The spacing between the circles was definitely designed by someone with small hands.
The 60 Hz refresh rate seems to be no problem. If there is motion blur its so minimal I can't see it. (Also, I'm not particularly looking for it.)
On balance this is a great set, but if you have an old DVD player you want to use with it you may have to upgrade to a current model that can output via HDMI.
on July 28, 2010
After looking at several 1080p LCD HDTVs, including models from LG, Samsung and Sony, I decided to go with the KDL-46EX400. I've had the TV for a couple of weeks now and couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I've purchased a number of Sony video products over the years b/c of the excellent images that Sony products usually have, but I still look into other brands when buying something new. In this case, I still ended up going with Sony because of price, image quality, and features.

The picture quality of 720p, 1080i, and 1080p is excellent on this TV, and is as good or better than other HDTVs that I've used. And, although I wasn't expecting much from SD sources, I can honestly say that SD programs look much better than I expected them to, and have better picture quality on the KDL-46EX400 than SD sources displayed on other HDTVs that I've seen.

I am also happy with the USB port that is built directly into the TV. It allows playback of MP3 audio, displaying of pictures, and playback of MPEG-2 video (as long as the file extension is .mpg) directly from the USB drive. This is a nice added feature that allows us to watch digital video files simply by converting them to MPEG-2 and then connecting the USB drive containing the files to the TV.

The only negative I've experienced is that the TV stand is very flimsy, but this won't affect me since I'll be using a wall mount. Other reviewers have complained about the remote, but I've found it to be neither bad nor great, and since I'm using a different universal remote, this doesn't affect me in any way.

Overall, a great TV with excellent image quality and good features.
on July 30, 2010
PROS: excellent picture, aesthetics pleasing

CONS: cheesy remote, inferior tuner

The picture quality is superb on the 46" EX400 -- crisp colors, sharp images, and no obvious dead pixels. The motion blur, even on sports, is not readily apparent, so the 60 Hz refresh rate represents a good value. Optimizing the picture from factory settings didn't need much adjustment, as decreasing the Backlight to 1 was enough for me (your eyes may vary). And the gray bar on the bottom of this TV looks terrible on the website, but in real life, it actually looks quite attractive overall. FYI, the black border is quite glossy, if you're OK with that. (Don't worry, the screen itself is matte.)

The sound is decent -- my TV sits on a cabinet, which may make the sound more bearable than those mounting it on a wall. Since my setup connects the DVD/BluRay to the stereo, the built-in sound is relevant only when tuning in OTA channels or playing game components plugged directly into the TV.

The remote control feels cheap and not up to the usual Sony standards, but it's functional. There's a little lag with tuning to channels via the antenna, which is balanced out by the useful program info up top (this can be turned off if you like). Probably the most glaring deficiency is the sensitivity of the tuner -- when compared to a 32" LCD from a competing brand (starts with a P, ends with a C) sitting in the same location, this Sony had a hard time picking up several channels using identical rabbit ears. Fortunately, new rabbit ears upgraded to a version highly rated at the local big-box electronic store fixed this problem up nicely.

Overall, it's a solid buy for the price.
on February 15, 2014
I purchased one of these TV's back in November of 2010 for more than it is now listed (as it is 3.5 yrs older, that makes sense). In January of 2011, I bought another one that was on clearance from another store. It is now Feb. of 2014 and both of these TV's are still going strong with NO problems at all. I have read other reviews stating that their TV had broken within the first year or so; perhaps they received a defective model, I'm not sure; however, my two sets have not failed me at all.

They are a great purchase for the price they are now, no doubt about it. As another reviewer stated, the audio could be better. I haven't had any issues with picture quality at all. I use multiple gaming consoles, HDMI Pc hook ups, and Cable/Blu-ray players and have not seen a single issue with any of them. In fact, I've even been able to connect a USB flash drive to the tvs and play slideshows and music directly from them with no issues.

The audio issue is slight, but can be easily remedied with the installation of a surround sound system or even just a sound bar (sound bars are usually $100-200 at Target/Walmart/Amazon).

Overall, this tv has been a great buy for me and has lasted me long enough to prove its worth more than enough.

Edit: Additional note: I even moved these tv's across the country without any issues (literally across the country). They came from Washington all the way down to Florida and have not faltered one bit. Bravo Sony! Well Done.
on November 28, 2010
I bought this TV a few days ago for $800. It was manufactured in Mexico dated August 2010. If you watch a lot of sports, I suggest you do NOT get this TV. I clearly see the fuzziness on the players. More when they go faster or up close. A Panasonic TV I had bought more than 5 years ago still has a superior picture to this TV. For the price, it is reasonable for its included features. If you expect a lot from this Sony TV, you will be dissappointed as I was. On its Vivid mode, the picture is not as bright as Panasonic or Samsung. Its PIP is hidden somewhere. You have to use its PC mode, which I still have not figured out yet. The remote controller is very no frills looking. Sony has decided to produce a generic TV. Shame on Sony for a taking a step backward. Remember, you get what you pay for. Buyer beware. Check out this TV before you buy it. You may or may not like it. Maybe I just expect too much from the Sony reputation. The price tag does not lie. If I can return or swap this TV, I will and pay more for something else. One positive on this TV, I can access my DVD player connected to it, from the Sony remote controller.

Updated review on Aug. 02, 2013:

TV green power light comes on, but no picture. I wiggled the connector plug to TV, it sometimes gives the picture. After turning off the TV, green power light stays on. Same process again when turning on TV again. Pitiful it only lasted 2.5 years, and wasn't used a lot.
0Comment9 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2014
Bought this in Nov 2010 from Amazon, still working perfect. Moved from Houston to Doha Qatar thus bought an Orei Orei brand PAL to NTSC converter box: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A7B0YZI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got here plugged in the local PAL Sat. Box and a local PAL DVD player directly into TV and works great, no need for converter box as my EX400 has a PAL converter built in.
on October 13, 2014
I had this 46" for 3 years when the H2 board went out. Repair cost was $150, still cheaper than replacing it altogether. My next large screen TV will be either a Samsung, LG or Panasonic. I was very disappointed to have this repaired at only 3 years of age. I do admit however the picture quality is excellent, and paired with a Sony sound bar and wireless woofer, it's a complete package.
on November 29, 2012
This is the typical Sony product, that it broke just over one year of warranty. The TV turned black while I watched TV program at night, then turn back with strip of block of bright pixels. It never came back with image anymore. I had to call extended service to fix it. Never buy any Sony TV anymore.