Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an intuitive, easy to use camera which comes 'ready to go.' It took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to record without looking for instructions. And--good thing!! Because it doesn't come with a printed manual like the stuff we had in the olden days. Once you plug it into your PC to download, you find the software quickly installed and a PDF of the manual available via PC. Which makes sense, after all--this is intended for quick filming and downloading for your blog, Facebook page, etc.

The digital quality and sound quality both are pretty nice. I know this has already been upgraded since the time I got it to try--but the sense of usability and intuitivity should be rather transparent to the newer version(s). Definitely like this and have been pleased with the amount of time I can keep it running and the quality of the downloaded digital video. Definitely a keeper!
on January 5, 2012
Color Name: Violet
I got this bloggie for Christmas and I love it. Its so much fun to use. Its quality is def up to Sony standards. The videos are clear and easy to make. Im not technologically savy and I was able to figure out how to use it pretty quickly. I recommend this product to all. The software makes it so easy to send videos to family and friends.
on August 18, 2011
Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This camera is typical of many of this type; convienent and decent picutre quality outdoors and otherwise when there is good lighting. The lack of zooming, accidental button presses, and ease with which the lens is obscured with ones thumb seems par for the course. I download the pictures and video to a 64 bit version of Windows 7 Enterprise.

We found the picture quality to be very good in most cases. For some reason, taking pictures is inconsistent. Sometime you press the button and you get a picture, sometimes not. I think it has to do with the ability of the camera to focus, but it seems random. Don't count on being able to take stills.

The camera is just a rectangle, which isn't ergonomic. As a result I find I am always slightly changing my grasp, often causing my finger to cover the lense. The controls are a bit sensative so sometimes I find I've got the LED light on or the front camera on. It usually doesn't matter except that it effects the battery life.

The camera holds two hours of video but the battery is only rated to last one hour. It seems to be enough as I've never run into the limit, but it seemed a bit inconsistent. For the record, there is no removable storage, so the 2GB is all you get before you have to download.

One thing that was unexpected was that the camera will take video in portrain or landscape mode. If you hold it horizontally you get what you'd expect, a 16:9 picture. But if you hold it vertically, the video screen is completely filled. But instead of seeing the video sideways, it downloads it so the video shows as it was taken (the correct orientation) but with wide black bars on either side. Only about 1/3 of the picture area exists. This makes some sense as you'd like to see the video as you take them, but there is a tremendous loss of resolution. I would have perfered it letterbox the display and keep the 16:9 resolution (although you'd still lose some resolution because of the sensor orientation, but not as much.) Holding it vertical is more natural and keeps one's fingers from in front of the lense.

The bloggie software has an overall nice look and feel but is not suitable for large libraries of pictures and video, so you'll spend time in whatever you normally use and in the bloggie software. The software loads video onto your computer in a directory other than "videos" and puts a shortcut in the video directory to the bloggie directory. This seems unnecessary as you suddenly have a higher-level directory (under the user name) just for this plus these videos aren't automatically catelogued by your media software (for exmaple, windows media player, windows media center). Each time you download, the files are put into folders with cryptic names. Within these, the file names are numbered sequentially starting at 1, so it is difficult to combine folders and your videos are arbitrarily segregated by download event. You can bypass the software and download videos and pictures using the file manager/windows explorer, but this does not solve the problem about file names, so you are constantly having to rename videos. It is surprising that this doesn't use the simple systems cameras use of just incremening the file number. Also frustrating about the software is that after you transfer items from the bloggie to the software, you manually delete them from the bloggie, but it isn't clear that you won't be deleting them from the computer as well.

Overall a good camera, but not perfect.
Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a serious photo-hobbyist, I have some interest in using video cameras. The Bloggie duo, unlike other available vid-cams, has two screens for capturing an image/video which comes in handy for self portraits. 4 GB of memory records approximtely 2 hours of 1280x720 video. In addition to the Bloggie, the box includes a USB extention cable, wrist strap, and documentation.

I began by plugging the Bloggie Duo into my PC to install the software. I followed the instructions and browsed to the folder where I clicked the install file, which resulted in an error. I researched the error online and found I needed to edit the registry files. As an IT guy this doesn't bother me, but editing the registry can cause major problems if you don't know what you're doing. Fortunately, this fixed the problem and I was able to install the Bloggie software.

Then when I opened the installed software program, I received an "assertion error", making the software completely useless. This time online research provided no solution, so I gave up. A few days later, I opened up the software again. As expected, I received the "assertion error". Unlike the previous attempt, when I closed the welcome screen the software indicated there was an update. Thankfully, installing the update eliminated the "assertion error" problem.

I played around with the Bloggie before deciding to put it to the test at a bat mitzvah party. We were at a country club, in a decently lit room with a wall of windows facing the golf course on a clear sunny day. When taking pictures, I experienced delays between the time I clicked the button and the camera took the photo. Many photos showed motion blur even when using the weak flash.

The video capabilities seemed to work much better than the snapshots. With video, motion blur ceased to be seen on the small screen. I even posted a couple to Facebook where they showed with seemingly good quality. Then I watched them at the correct resolution on our 58" screen HDTV by using an HDMI to mini HDMI cord with the Bloggie for viewing from the camera. The image on the screen was soft and full of noise. In another video I recorded outside on a bright day, trees and other large items looked like they were painted in watercolor. I find this to be a cool effect, but I wasn't creating a special effects video.

I really wanted to like the Bloggie Duo, and expected more from Sony. However, the software installation issues quickly soured my expectations. I still gave the Bloggie Duo a chance, and it continued to disappoint. When it comes down to it, I don't see any reason to use the Bloggie Duo instead of my smartphone with the same basic capabilities. Plus my smartphone, can share images as I create them without needing access to a computer. Perhaps the Bloggie Duo would make an expensive toy for a teen, but I wouldn't waste my money purchasing it.
on February 23, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
I read the reviews regarding this device on many sites and I think a lot of people were expecting more than what they paid for. My biggest concern were the reviews pertaining to the Bloggie working with a Mac. I'm happy to say that Sony had the software available at their site. All I did was download it, plug in the device and there it was. No hassles whatsoever. Also, you can drag and drop your video to Facebook and other social websites as well within the program you download from Sony.

The Bloggie feels sturdy and it's small enough to put it in my pocket when I'm not using it. I have a Canon HD that works great for capturing great HD video, but just wanted something that I could easily record video and that was slim in design for those moments that I'm not carrying around my Canon gear. The auto-focu does have some lag in it, but it's not that bothersome.

You get what you paid for with the Bloggie. If you're looking for something more than this then you would be better suited to add about $400+ to the total of the Bloggie and move onto a more advanced device.
on January 16, 2012
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
I love my bloggie! I'm really happy I purchased it. I use it to make youtube videos. Mostly reviews and vlogging. It's great because it has the outer camera so I can record myself easily. There are a few things that I'm not a fan of.
There is a slight buzzing sound when video is played. It's not horrible, but if you're not talking you can hear it. There is no cover over the lens. I put it in a case so it won't get scratched. I also don't like that the screw for the tripod is on the bottom. It distorts the video when you record on that side (I think). Now that I say that. I'll have to try it.

If you're planning on shooting in low light, this probably isn't a good fit for you. You have to have a good amount of light or it will come out dark.

Overall, it's a great camera for blogging and looking at yourself! It focuses easily as well. :)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon December 4, 2011
Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This cute machine which has the option of front and back viewing, I found the camera itself easy to use, great for travel; although, not being very computer literate, the downloading, blogging, burning took me awhile to do.

The unit holds few controls, on/off, menu, light(which is fairly bright), port for the computer which pops out from the side(they also include a short, extension wire to help), the front/back viewing.

It states about 30 minutes of contiuous filming; one can, of course, can shoot photos. There are 3 pixel settings for various situations. I think the images are quite sharp, and the playback and volume fine.

One needs to load an outside social site or use Sony's to do the blogging.

There's lot of instruction which can be downloaded. I struggled with them. I'm more of a follow the dots, go from 1-10, outlined kind of learner. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I had to review the instruction frequently.

Overall, I like it, and have travelled, hiked, shot from home, indoors and outdoors, and the machine has held up. Now the question is, is it worth the price and now with our I-phones doing so much, is it still pertinent. Either way, I'm going to make use of it.
on July 18, 2011
Color Name: WhiteVerified Purchase
Overall I love this camera. It's easy to use. Easy to set up. Easy to get my pics and videos off of it. The picture quality itself is excellent. While I admit I AM a big fan of Sony (am typing this on my Vaoi Laptop), that's only because they keep delivering value. For the price you can't beat this video / camera combo.

Only one thing I would request - a stronger light and / or a flash option. That is the reason for the 4 star rating under feature set.

Also, my technophobe husband was able to pick this up and use it with no instruction from me. Priceless.
VINE VOICEon June 2, 2011
Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Sony Bloggie is a very good camera for casual use, things like making short video clips when your dog does something YouTube worthy, creating party videos, and the like. It also takes very good still images.

It's extremely easy to set up and to learn to use. I played around with it for about an hour, and that was enough time to get a very good grip on its operation. It would be a good idea to go to the Bloggie site and download the "Bloggie Handbook" because the so-called documentation in the box is nothing more than a quick-start guide. Really, though, the camera's operation is very intuitive; it's actually pretty hard to fail to operate it correctly.

The camera is attractive, very light, and easy to carry and hold on to. It's very small, about the size of a deck of cards, though half again as long. There is an attachable wrist strap, which is a good idea, since the camera is pretty slippery and could be fumbled easily.

It connects to your computer via a nifty pop-out USB connector. When you plug it in for the first time, it immediately loads the correct Windows drivers, and it becomes visible as a removable drive. I didn't install the software; rather, I just drag and drop the image and video files to my computer. The software is really designed to allow you to upload video directly to YouTube or other social media sites.

Now, it's important to understand something: This camera is designed to make taking short video clips easy and convenient. It does exactly that very, very well. However, this camera absolutely is not designed to be a substitute for a more fully-featured video camera. It records clips of limited duration, there's no zoom, and the settings are mostly non-adjustable. In short, like all technology, you need to understand its limits and be willing to work within them.

That raises a final issue for me: This camera currently costs about $170 here on Amazon. It's possible to get a pretty good basic "real" video camera in the $200-$250 range. This means you need to think a little about whether you want to, in effect, settle for a limited camera like this Bloggie, or, for around $100 more, go to a full-featured camera. That will, of course, be an individual decision. But it is important to make the decision before you put your money down.

Bottom line: I really like this little camera. It works just as it'[s supposed to work. However, it is limited in functionality, and potential buyers need to think carefully about that.
Color Name: WhiteVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used a Flip video camera for years, but Sony's got the competition beat with its Sony Duo Bloggie. This handy-cam has all kinds of helpful features.

The camera features a front and rear display that allows the user to put the camera in mirror-mode, so that you can see what you're shooting from the front side (helpful for self-portraits). It also allows you and a companion (sitting face to face) to look at the same image or video.

The Bloggie allows you to take photos or videos with little resolution all the way up to high definition video for playback on your TV. A HDMI port allows you to connect an HDMI cable to your HD device for playback.

The Bloggie software, which is preloaded onto the camera, uploads onto your computer easily. The software utilizes drag and drop to allow you to easily create sets of photos or videos, to add tags, and to share. It's fully integrated so that you can easily upload photos and video to social media sites such as Flickr, Facebook, YouTube, and Picasa, as well as sharing media with family or friends.

The Bloggie also features a light, for low-light situations and a self-timer. It also comes with a USB connection support cable and a wrist strap. Unlike the Flip, it does not come with a carrying case.

While Sony is proud of the fact that the camera can hold up to 2 hours of video (1280x720 / 30P), one caveat that users should be aware of is that the camera is only capable of recording 29 minutes continuously. The camera has 4 GB of memory and is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems.

I was extremely pleased with the still picture and video quality capability of the Bloggie, even in lower light situations. One weakness I encountered was a difficulty in downloading a software update, but I suspect that was a compatibility problem between my computer and Sony. Once I figured out the buttons (which were slightly confusing at first), I was able to easily use the camera and the accompanying software. This is a great product with many nice features not found on similar cameras.

See 1 answered question