Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Black|Change

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2010
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well it almost seems like everything is now like an iPad! Operating this little device is definately one touch and not multi touch. IT was fully charged when you switch on the device (that was a plus). The packaging was beautiful and I thought I was getting a nice of piece of jewelry!

This little camcorder/camera has a glass face that provides most of the functions with the exception of an one/off button, camera button and another button for start/stop video recording. There is an initial set up prompt menu when you first start the device and a demo video that gets you all excited that you immediately want to play with it!
Pros of this device
1) camera provides photo size of 12megap, 8m, or 2m
2) movie size 1080 (30p), 720 (60p), 720 (30p)
3) camera self timer (2 or 10 minutes)
4) zoom touch
5) camera has a single face recognition
6) delete and view of saved items very easy to navigate
7) mini hdmi to allow view to television
8) auto focus , not fastest response, but if panning slowly, it works great
9) a USB that is neatly stored in body of camera
10) allows for a mini tripod to be attached
11) for each of the saved photo/movie youncan tag it to you tube, facebook, flickr, and prelabeled email addresses.
12) the picture will rotate likemit is an iPhone/touch!
13) volume adjust on playback is great and picks up voices very well.
14) weighs less than iphone4

Con: you have to buy a separate pouch! Does get warm after using for half an hour continuously. This can only be used with windows and is not compatible to Mac! Hmm, not good.( update as of February 2011, software is now available to Mac users to allow download to a MAC! Yeah)
Also, wish there were some rubber gribs around the edge as it can get a little slippery to hold, but you do get use to it and adjust your grip to accomodate it.

Results: even in low lighting, both the camera and camcorder recorded pretty good results. The auto zoom will adjust from a moderate panning speed to avoid blurs. We were quite impressed with how well the auto focus adjusted.
Setting up the software was easy and detected the device immediately. The picture is a little grainy whe using less than 12 megapixel, and the playback on the hd1080 (I, which is what we suspect) was actually not bad on our 46 inch tv!
It is simple to use and I am usually the one that needs the manual and get over whelmed with the numerous functionalities. It was very intuitive and really simple to use for the market it is aimed at: shooting fun footages to share with family and friends.

Update: December 12th: in low light and indoor shoorting: the picture/video can come out with a tinge of yellow. This result will happen if you shoot too quickly without allowing the camera to 'accumulate' a little more light. The results are great for outdoors and very sharp finish (then again this is more for outdoor than indoor! We are still loving how light it is and that with the touch screen you can move the focus and hold the Touch with one hand!
44 comments| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2010
I tried this out at a concert and I was disappointed to find out that what I thought was recording was not recording because the camera will just stop if it's reached about 30 minutes -- don't know if the flip does this or other cameras but found this to be very annoying. Also, like everyone else said, it sometimes takes forever to adjust and of course it's not good for long distance rendering the zoom pretty much useless. Also, I guess the default is 720p -- not sure how to change it. There is no power cord with this, but the way to charge it is through a usb charger which is included. The drawback unlike the flip is that you can't just switch batteries, so you are kinda stuck after 4 hours. I just got it, so still trying to see how it goes. I like the 1080p and the 12 megapixel camera -- seems like a great combination which is the reason I chose this over the flip.

*******Here is the response from sony:

Depending on the camera, the recording time for each movie is limited to approximately 25-29 minutes and the maximum size of one movie file is 2 GB. Therefore, recording is automatically stopped when the file size reaches 2 GB or if 25-29 minutes of uninterrupted recording occurs. This is normal operation.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 29, 2010
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sony has introduced an interesting twist to the saturated pocket camcorder market with the new Bloggie Touch (MHS-TS20). Unlike the touch controls of the Flip MinoHD, the Bloggie Touch has a large 3.0 inch widescreen touch screen. Anything to add to the already stale stable of current pocket camcorders is a welcome change. Ultimately though, two main requirements need to be met for this style of video recording device; they must be easy to use and have good video quality. On both counts, the Sony Bloggie delivers.

PROS:
- Great video quality
- Easy to use
- 12.8MP still camera
- 1080p supported (as well as 720p)
- Built-in USB port
- Built-in mini-HDMI port
- Attractive appearance
- SteadyShot image stabilization (not optical)

CONS:
- Middling still photo quality
- No optical stabilization
- Hard to grip
- No pouch or case included
- Goofy name
- Only digital zoom

A couple of years ago, I bought one of the original Flip pocket camcorders from Costco. It was somewhat bulky, took standard definition video and ran on AA batteries. But we loved it as a family for being super simple, fairly cheap, and allowing us to capture spontaneous memories. We then upgraded to a Flip MinoHD but never had the same affection for it the way we did with our original Flip. I also had experience using the Creative Labs Vado and so I had a good sampling of what the pocket camcorder market offered. When I initially ordered the Sony Bloggie through Amazon's Vine Program, I was expecting a toy-like camcorder-- a My First Sony camcorder. I was wrong. The cutesy, youth-oriented name disguised the fact that the Bloggie Touch was a very capable, easy, and fun to use pocket camcorder.

USABILITY
Even if you haven't used a touch screen device before, the Bloggie Touch will be very easy to figure out. Once you get past the initial demo video, you'll be prompted to set the language, date, and time and then you'll be ready to shoot your first video. The large 3.0" widescreen touch screen is fun to use and responsive. The itty bitty screens of the Flip or Vado were a bit of a chore to preview videos with but not so with the Bloggie Touch. There are just three physical buttons on the Bloggie- Power ON/OFF, Movie Button, and the still image shutter. That's it. All other functions and settings are are accessed through the touch screen. Though you can hold and record the Bloggie Touch in portrait or landscape orientations, keep in mind that it will be recorded in those orientations. Unlike the Flip or Vado, the Bloggie Touch is really meant to be used in landscape. The only problem I had with the Bloggie Touch was holding it correctly without it slipping out of my hands. The Bloggie Touch is very svelte and made out of slippery plastic. The front has a brushed finish while the side and back are a matte finish. Since you're supposed to hold it in landscape mode, it can be challenging to hold it with two hands without covering the lens with a finger from your left hand. It can be used with a single hand but since it's so slick, I felt the need to use both hands. Luckily, a wrist strap is provided.

VIDEO QUALITY
The Bloggie Touch has three video recording settings-- 1080/30p, 720/60p, and 720/30p. I found that the 720/60p had the best balance of video quality and size. FYI, there is a 29 minute limit for continuous recording and a 2GB file size limit. The Bloggie Touch uses Variable Bit Rate (VBR) format for video so the size and times of the video can differ depending on the type of video being recorded. Below is the estimated recording times for each recording setting:

1080/30p 1h20m
720/60p 2h40m
720/30p 4h00m

It performed very well outside in daylight. The autofocus actually worked really well. I should note that I immediately upgraded the firmware to v1.05 before I recorded a single video or took a single still. Firmware v1.05 is supposed to improve the format function, touch panel operation, and focusing. As I mentioned, I had no problems with focusing so perhaps some of the focus issues that the Bloggie Touch had initially were addressed in this upgrade. Indoors, it worked well for the most part, but as with most pocket camcorders, it struggled to keep up in low light. I did not expect any different.

PHOTO QUALITY
Outdoors, during daylight, the still shots that I took with the Bloggie Touch were rather good. Indoors, in good light, it was just ok and pretty awful in low light. The problem with still photos is that the Bloggie Touch does not have a flash so it's pretty useless indoors unless you have very good lighting. Except for the shots outdoors, I thought that my Droid X smartphone took as good a photo, if not better, than the Bloggie Touch. I was disappointed overall with the still pictures but still happy to at least have the option. In fact, you can take a still picture while recording a video.

SOFTWARE
I was never a big fan of the FlipShare software for Flip camcorders but did like it for it's ability to export videos and rename the files automatically by date. It was ok. The Sony software however seems to have no real added benefit other than organization and importing the videos from the Bloggie Touch to your computer. Yes, you can tag your videos and photos for automatic uploading but I don't personally find uploading my files to Facebook, Picasa, and others to be troubling to begin with. I suppose it would be decent for the super newbie. One feature I did like was the ability to trim videos, but that was about it.

CONCLUSION
Of all the pocket camcorders I have owned and used, the Sony Bloggie Touch is probably the most fun and versatile. It's a little more challenging to hold because you have to hold it in landscape mode and is a bit slippery, but the nice 3.0" touch screen makes up for it. If you already have a good HD pocket camcorder, I wouldn't say that the Bloggie Touch is worth switching to, but if don't already own one, the Sony Bloggie Touch is definitely worth a look.
55 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2010
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
3" touchscreen is probably the biggest selling point of this very capable Sony mini cam / still cam combo, making controls, interaction and options as simple as a touch, on the very well lit and easy to use rear screen.
Quick shoot capability with the "hit the big button" simplicity is also a plus when grappling for that perfect shot, still, or movie of often fleeting "kodak moments" that are harder to capture with high end, complicated equipment.
8GB is pretty good internal memory as well, 2-4 hours of video, with up to 1080p resolution, in web friendly MP4 format. It even has included software for Facebook, and YouTube integration. It has a nice built in microphone with surprisingly good audio on the video takes
Nice and discreet, easily fits into any jacket or shirt pocket at just over 4" x 2" in size, and 0.6" thick.
The still camera is amazing, up to 12.8MP with great clarity, with a F/2.8 aperture range, it also tilts automatically when turning the camera between landscape and portrait, I like this personally, but agree with other reviews that an override would have been nice. I also noticed, as others have mentioned the auto focus can be a bit of a bear at times, but I didn't consider it a deal breaker.
No viewfinder (obviously) as everything is done through the touchscreen, which is pretty easy to see, even in direct sunlight.
Unfortunately no flash, so low lighting shots and video are grainy. Why no flash? You ask, well I would imagine that this would eat the battery life at such a rate, it would spend more time on charge, than in your pocket. I did knock off a star for this, as there were times when a flash would have been great for still images, but you can't have everything I suppose.
Prior to this I owned one of the cheaper Flip Video's, which although it was adequate, was a world removed from this for picture quality, video resolution, and build quality. Something I am pleased to see seems to still be reliable with the SONY brand.
Overall 4 stars. A great multi function camera.
on April 19, 2012
I purchased this camcorder to replace my 2 year old Flip camcorder. The Flip was so easy to use and the pictures were good but sharing them and transferring them to DVD was a pain. The screen finally cracked and I was having a hard time uploading to my computer so it was time for a new camcorder.I checked out different camcorders on line and then went to Best Buy to look at them physically. The Kodak camcorder was very nice and easy to use but I know they are no longer manufacturing camcorders and I didn't want to get into the same problem I had with the Flip, the manufacturer is out of the business, so I checked out the Bloggie. Amazon had the best pricing and with my Prime membership I was able to get it quickly. Out of the box it is charged partially which was good. The bad news, there is no owners manual that comes with the unit, you need to get it from the camcorder itself, which to me is not great. The pictures come out great and the sound is ok. Once I figured out how to share privately I was up and running. And unlike the Flip which had it's own clumsy software for playing the movie, these can be stored in your regular windows files which will make them much easier to convert to DVDs.
I did get an AC adapter because I am not sure how long the battery will last and I may not have my computer with to charge it up. But otherwise, you really don't need to purchase anything. I thought I would like a camcorder with an SC card but with 4gb memory this should be fine.
Really like this camcorder. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it again.
on December 31, 2010
Things that I liked:
True high definition MP4 recording! Most cameras today boast "HD" recording without really following through. I'm happy to say that is not the case with the Sony Bloggie Touch! What you get is a truly stunning HD video with a resolution 1920x1080. Another plus is the fact that this camera records in the format friendly files of "mp4," which is easily recognized by both Mac's and PC's.
12.8MP still images. I still can't get over the breathtaking pictures that this little guy is capable of producing! The photos taken by my Boggie Touch are comparable to that of my $300 digital still camera!!!

Another feature that I like about this particular camera is the fact that it has built in memory. Something that is rare for cameras at this price point! The 8GB of memory allows for a total of 4 hours of HD video recording! This also means that I don't have to fool around with SD cards, or worse, MICRO SD cards! LOL

Last but not least, I love the simplicity! I really love the simple ease of use when operating this camera. The menus are very easy to navigate and the touchscreen is very responsive.

Things that I didn't like:
The only real con that I found with this camera is it's poor automatic focusing ability. But for $149.99 it hard to go wrong at that price point. It's like buying a digital still camera and HD video camera in one small clean package!

Overall, I'm very happy with my selection and don't regret it for second. In fact, I bought a second Boggie Touch as a gift for my parents for Christmas.
on July 25, 2011
I use this as a video camcorder/camera I can easily keep in my pocket to capture the unexpected. Its small size makes this ideal. If I know I will need a camera, I go with another bulkier model.

In perfect condition (well lit room) the video is unrivaled. Darker conditions degrade quality.

Software for Sony Bloggie is not good, not even adequate. I imagine most people spend 2-3 hours frustrated before going back to iPhoto or Picasa. It is Mac compatible.

If there is background noise this camera will pick it up.

Autofocus is not perfect, it will go in and out.

Also, this could be a plus or minus. Close ups are great with this bloggie but you need distance to record a whole person top to bottom.

I bought a refurb for $87 and I am happy. If I paid $180 for new, I would be disappointed.
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm very pleased with the bloggie overall.

There are 3 basic parts of this review:
1) hardware - of course, thats what you see in the picture
2) software - we increasingly get software with the hardware which affects our experience, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.
3) Accessories - With this product you could use some

I have used the Flip Mino and this unit is superior. While the name "bloggie" is somewhat whimsical and even a bit lame, this product has several hints of luxury. The first one is evident when you get the bloggie and open the box. Its reminiscent of iPhone packaging. In fact, as you can see by the picture it arrives in a "presentation style" box, suitable for gifting. Whether you buy this for yourself or for someone else you will feel that it is a bit of a treat to open.

Picture quality: outdoors the picture quality is extremely good. I have owned many Sony cameras, as well as Canon and Fuji. this one takes excellent pictures FOR WHAT IT IS. Don't expect DSLR results. The outdoor shots are excellent. Indoors is another matter. I found that the camera had difficulty with the auto-white balance. I found myself wishing I could just hold up a piece of white paper and white balance it manually (the old way). For those of you who aren't camera buffs, white balancing is when you tell a video camera what "white" is so all the colors will be natural. Anyway, the point is that indoor pictures are often off-color and a bit grainy. There IS NO FLASH. Thats not abnormal for this kind of camera. Certainly a flash would help significantly, but if you are comparing it to similar pocket video cameras you will not be surprised by this omission.

Controls are incredibly simple. Sony seems to have gone to great effort to keep it simple.

To charge the camera, you simply plug it in to a USB port. USB ports are ubiquitous these days, and so you can charge it many places. In fact, you can buy a cheap generic car charger to charge it in your automobile, like this one: Apple iPod USB Travel Kit with Car Charger/ Travel Adapter/ Cable - WhiteI haven't used this particular one, but the one I have is similar quality and is no longer available on Amazon. There are actually many of these to choose from. This one gives you a wall charger and a car charger for cheap. So I'm very happy that you can have multiple charge options cheaply. If you are buying this as a gift for someone consider including a car/wall USB charger.

Another nice feature this product has is the HDMI out, however, it is a mini HDMI. I purchased this adapter: HDmi Cable Adapter Hdmi To Mini Hdmi Cable Adapter for m. Its easy to put in a sock with the camera, and you can probably find an HDMI cable you can use at any of your friend's houses.

The software is a bit of a downer. I downloaded the software from the camera. The software was slow. The benefit of being able to upload to facebook easily was lost on me because it took me a long time to weed through all the videos I took. I don't want to share lots of videos on facebook, just a couple of the best ones. Another thing I noticed is that video playback was choppy in the Bloggie software. it was also choppy in Picasa. But the videos played back perfectly on the camera, in Windows Media Player, and through the TV. it was irritating to not have the movies play correctly on some software. I wonder if this could be fixed somehow, or perhaps I didn't have a setting correct, but the camera should work "out of the box" with its own software.

Overall, i have to say I really love the camera. It is best for people who like to take a lot of outdoors footage. its not so good for indoor use but the small size of the camera means that I would take the camera more places and use it more often and capture more of life's joys. Even without a flash.

It has a lot of elegance and simplicity which are things that I prize in a device. I would be happy to give or receive this device, mostly because you don't HAVE to use the bloggie software that is included. As long as you ahve reasonable expectations you will not be disappointed.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon January 12, 2011
Color: Black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The bloggie device quickly has replaced both my camera and video camera for normal day-to-day picture taking. The coolest thing about this device is how small it is considering the quality of the pictures and video recorded. Previously I'd have had to pack my larger camera in my pants in order to have a chance of catching anything. This device is about the size of a small cell phone so is easily usable on the go.

The quality of the video was remarkable as well. I didn't expect the size of the recording to be as large as it was considering the device's size and cost.

Other have complained about the ergonomics of the device but I have to disagree. Who holds a camera vertically to take a photo? That just seems a bit backwards...
on December 25, 2010
Works great for quick, simple videos. It is ready to take video very quickly, and it does work with Mac (though the included software may not)--just use the iLife suite.