5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Machine
Installed this in my 95 Ford F-150, Sound is vastly superior to my factory radio, receives many more stations in either bands. Customize-able equalizer will suit many tastes. Built-in amp is more then sufficent for my pickup. Blue display looks great on my dash, plus has many more features you can discover.. Satisfied with this purchase.
Published on January 7, 2010 by Chet Morry

3.0 out of 5 stars worked great until now
I got this stereo in Feb 2011..Its worked great and now the buttons wont work...I have tried reseting it..cleaning it with alcohol..everything. The warranty time is up by now and have to either find a way to fix it..or buy another stereo..piece of crap.
Published 5 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Machine, January 7, 2010
This review is from: Sony CDXGT340 MP3/WMA Player CD Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great radio, January 9, 2010
Enthusiast (Cypress, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
You can't go wrong with a Sony. This radio does everything I wanted it to do, which was play my ipod. Least expensive one I could find on the market and it plays great. Extra bonus feature is when the ipod is playing my retractable antennae is down without needing to purchase an additional switch. Was $30 more at Best Buy, and $60 more at a car stereo place. Don't forget the harness and dash kit necessary. Easy installation. No regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars The amazing Xplod system - best car system Ive heard., November 1, 2009
Alright, first of Im not beth, Im her son, and I dont have an amazon accoutn so i used hers. Anywas, I was looking for a new stereo reciever for my 2000 Nissan Xterra. The OEM radio was absolutely crap. Bad reception and sound quality, plus it played only a few CDs. If you put in a CD with a few scratches or scuffs, or one that was just very old (I have several CDs in good condition, but they are 10+ years old) then the OEM stereo would not play them.
So I did some research, compared stereos etc and found this one. By far this has some of the best sound quality Ive ever heard in a car stereo, and that is through OEM speakers as well (will be buying Sony Xplod 6.5 inch speakers and Xplod 6x9 speakers).
The CD player plays pretty muc anythre ing that hasnt been shattered or microwaved, and it will pick up on the track yoau left off when you turn off the car/switch to radio(or auxilary). The Custom EQs are also a bonus, providing different sound combinations for your tunes. After finding your favorite Eq, you can also individually tune the sound on different levels (low, mid, high, sub, and other special EQ settings, as well as being able to switch between mono, stereo, and 2 "surround" settings). In the back there are input/output ports for extra speakers and subs, as well as auxilary ports for the HD radio and Satellight radio.
The radio also supports a Radio Data System which I find to be pretty awesom. It shows the station number, station name, song, and artist. Plus, it has a "smart tuner". Press a button and you can scroll through differnt genres of stations (rock, pop, rap, r&b, soft rock, soft r&b, news, talk, eclectic, jazz, etc.). Select which genre you want and the radio will automatically tune itself to the different available stations under the selected can genre.
On top of that it features custom settings that can further improve whatever your trying to do (such as the demo mode or whatever else you can think. It has so much stuff it took me about 5 minutes to get through the whole menu).
On top of all the kool high tech whatever-ness, it comes with a remote and beeps at you when you turn your car off to remind you to remove the detachable faceplate so no one will break into your car to steal your new amazing Sony Xplod stereo.

The only downside I find is that you cannot actively turn the thing off. To make it stop plying music when your driving is to either turn the volume down all the way or remove the faceplate. However Im sure this isnt the case (come on its a Sony), however I am still figuring it out. Also, Im not sure how to make it tell the time when your driving with it on. Im sure this is simple operator error, however Im llisting this as a bit of a downside since it doesnt come programmed to have the clock automatically display itself. imsure I will figure it out though. Also, as I said above the menu is very very very big. It has alot of stuff to scroll through, and it is easy to get lost. Not something you want to mess with when driving.
The stereo here is a serious competition system. The basic interface (finding a station, putting a CD in, scrolling through songs, etc.) is simple, but the menu can be a bit hard to navigate as it is so big and has soooo many options. Overall if you want a very high quality competition sound, this is the system you want. Its very good (better than other more expensive systems) and it has a very nice price tag. if your technilogically challenged then you may be turned off by the large menus and extremely versatile sound settings, but overall if you want an AMAZING system this is it! Dont look anywhere else.

*Tip: if you want to keep a uninterrupted sound coming from the system when driving with passengers, do not leave the remote in the backseat. My friend has fun with it. A little too much fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Instructions wrong for CD and Aux, November 13, 2010
William Overman (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Installed easily with well-marked wires. The radio sounds great.

However, the CD and Aux input didn't work at all. The EQ3 display showed it was receiving a signal, but no sound appeared. I returned the unit and got a replacement. Same problem.

I called Sony tech support and they said I needed to connect another wire.

The instructions pretty clearly state that the blue/white wire SHOULD NOT be connected, except to an external amp, which I don't have. It turns out that the blue/white wire MUST be connected to the blue wire (power) to get the CD and Aux input to work.

I would give it a 5 but for the pain I went through due to bad instructions. Sony phone support was surprisingly quick and accurate in solving the problem (probably not the first call they've fielded on this issue).

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic Review of this Sony CDXGT340, April 2, 2010
Following instructions included to set up display, you can pretty much get what you desire, mine is set to display the clock now without the factory "demo" display. EQ displays too with station displayed. EQ settings can be customized besides having the described default settings and saved on a custom setting. On the Xplod factory EQ setting, this unit will blast you out with bass thump if you have a decent amped sub without adding +db. Max the +db out and your rattling screws loose and awaking the natives to a restless state from miles away. Yep, you read right, EQ settings are infinately adjustable to taste. The display is plenty bright for daytime viewing and dimable for night time. The FM gain pulls in the weakest channels with ease. The clarity of the sound is without any noticable distortion of any kind. The CD is skip free on wash board dirt roads and clear as a bell. The unit is backward compatible with the older XPlod series units, this one plugged right into the harness of the '94 unit that finally bit the dust in my '93 Civic. How simple is that? You can get a pre-wired factory harness extra to simplify installation for a true plug and play install to your factory wiring. You couldn't get a better bang for your buck if you wanted to. Not to mention being digital ready??? For less than a C note???
Get it. You'll love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, March 6, 2010
I needed a stereo unit to replace my old one in my 2002 Accord because the CD player had broke. Installation is as expected, you obviously need to know what you're doing.

My only complaint is that the unit has an anti-theft reminder function. The unit will play a series of three beeps about three different times through the cars speakers after the car is turned off. While this is useful for some people, there does not seem to be any option to disable this feature. Even though this is well-intentioned, it is pretty annoying. What I do now is just press the release button anytime I turn off the car, but leave the face plate alone. The plate will then stay in place but be disconnected (and I'm confident it won't fall off and break).

5.0 out of 5 stars MP3 cd playback goodness, September 11, 2010
J. Beck (Waldorf, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I have only had this stereo a short time, but so far it's been fantastic (I will add to my review if this changes in any way).

I mounted this stereo in my 2007 Ford Focus and it brought the factory speakers to life. I tinkered with the built in equalizer presets and added a whole new realm to the sound I had experienced in this car. Then I stumbled across the "loudness" setting, BASS goodness reverberated from all around me! Freaking fantastic.

I then looked on the floor and found an mp3 cd that wouldn't play in the factory Ford cd/mp3 player. This cd is by no means prestine, it is scratched and scuffed, but I tossed it in anyway. The Sony loaded this disc and played it with no problems, even reading the id3 tags encoded into the file.

The aux in plug makes playing mp3s from my Droid phone simple and easy too, adding hours and hours to my mobile music listening enjoyment.

I love this stereo and will be purchasing one for my wife's Kia Sedona!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Sony AM/FM car receiver, September 3, 2010
Thomas G. Livingstone (Shingle Springs, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I had no trouble replacing the 3 year old Pioneer AM/FM receive in my old Toyota PU. It has superior sound and I really appreciate the ability to control the volume while driving, without being an added hazzard to other drivers during the operation. At age 85, I am learning that I no longer possess the mechanical talents of yore but the switch went without a problem. I really recommend this product - especially considering the well-under $100 price tag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Radio, June 30, 2010
Nothing extremely special about this radio. Very good price, and does just what it needs to do. Just the right amount of options on radio, not too much not too few. Very happy so far.

DEAR SONY:
My buddy bought the same product and his failed, he is having a lot of trouble getting his refund/new product. Sony is screwing around trying to get him to give up by asking for repeats on paperwork and a lot of BS that is making it hard for him. SONY not AMAZON!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stereo!, August 6, 2010
This was definitely a good upgrade for my 2000 mustang. My tape adapter wasn't cutting it and I am always listening to my ipod in the car. This radio is perfect. I get a nice clear sound through the auxiliary input and after adjusting the tones and bass, it sounds great! You can adjust the input volume on the stereo so you do not have to turn the volume up real high, so when you switch back to the radio, it's not blasting in your face. I also noticed a clearer sound to the radio stations.
The ease of installing depends on your car really. I would suggest taking the stock radio out and taking a look at the wires before you purchase the wire harness needed. I ended up having to buy another harness when I pulled out the radio and discovered I have the ford premium sound system.
Only thing that bothers me is that it is a little lose on the right side of the stereo but not so much that it moves around when I am driving. There are these little cutouts on the locking-case that you can push down to fit it in better but it still moves a little bit for me on the right side. Depending on your car you may have a different result.
Overall it is a great stereo, especially if you want to use your ipod or just want better sound out of your speakers.

Rate and Discover Movies