Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on August 20, 2010
Yes, it's a corny title, I know; what's not corny is this sweet little boombox from Sony. It was little difficult to find a unit like this with all of the features I was in the market for, since boomboxes seem to be on the way out -- at least in their old configurations.

Pretty much gone are days of tape, but I guess that there are some folks out there who still like cassettes; these are the people who will be happy with the CFDS05's built-in tape deck - I will probably never use it. The other features, such as digital AM/FM tuner with numerous presets, CD-R/RW capable compact-disc player, and AUX-in jack for portable music players, are just what I was looking for!

+ The sound, while not audiophile quality, is pleasantly full and crisp; the longstanding Sony Mega Bass feature helps the lower end a little, but don't expect miracles. All in all, it's a very nice sound from a not-too-huge footprint.

+ The digital tuner works well, picking up the new somewhat-hard-to-lock-onto local public music radio station with no difficulties at all. The presets take a little practice -- I actually had to break down and look at the instructions.

+ The CD player seems to have no problems reading my CD-R discs (I always play copies, never original discs); my previous RCA stereo clock radio would conk out in the middle of a CD-R playback.

+ The aux-in feature also works very well with my MP3 player, though it's necessary to crank the volume up a bit in relation to the radio or CD player - don't forget to turn it back down before switching sources!

- About the only minus I can come up with, and it's a minor one, is a lack of some "snazzy" features; there's no remote, no "sleep" feature, and the CD doesn't play back mp3 discs. I'm sure Sony could have included some of these features, but likely not at this price point.

The CFDS05's construction is pretty solid, though perhaps not quite as heavy-duty as the three other Sony boomboxes we own (that are all 3-6 years old, and we haven't had a lick of trouble from any of them). I am hopeful this one will be just as reliable as its predecessors.

Overall, I would say that if you're in the market for what I think is becoming a scarce product offering, pick one of these up while you can! I am very pleased that I found yet another quality Sony boombox to meet my listening needs - I've tried many, many others, and I always end up coming back to Sony.
1818 comments| 638 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2011
This is a great machine for its size and price.

My wife and I are semi-professional musicians (wife has several choral compositions that have been published), so I'd like to think we're good judges of music quality.

We bought two of these for our kids for Christmas. When we put in the CDs and listened, we were very pleased with the sound quality from the machines. Don't get me wrong, it's not like listening to a home theater system, but the technology for these machines has increased greatly in the past few years.

Portability is fine -- the kids carry these things all over the house. One of our kids also plays some of our old cassette tapes (with a bunch of songs from the 80s) and even though the tapes are old, the music comes out very clear (much better than some of our older tape players).

Price -- Amazon's price is a little high. I was able to find these at Target, on sale, for just under $40, so I would keep an eye on that, or do a shopping trip before deciding to buy.

Overall, very pleased with the quality, case is hard plastic, but appears to be durable, and the receiver has no trouble picking up local radio stations.
on November 9, 2010
PROS:
1. buttons (except cassette) are located right on the front in one place, and are clearly labeled and easy to use

2. sound can be turned up WAY WAY louder than I would probably use it with no distortion

3. CD player features these modes: program, shuffle, repeat disc, repeat track
4. plays both cd-R AND cd-RW (copies you made and professionally made ones)
5. very light weight
6. big handle for carrying
7. audio line in for iPod or other device is located right on the front
8. headphone jack
9. GOOD RELIABLE BRAND
10. cassette recorder and DIGITAL radio too, with memory presets for radio

CONS:
1. SHORT power cord (about 5 feet long at the most) which cannot be replaced with my generic longer ones because of the shape of the opening for it
2. so-called "BASS BOOST" makes so little difference that you can't tell it's on except by looking at the display!!!! NEEDS EQUALIZER!!!
3. can't see through cassette door so have to open it to see how much tape you have left to play
4. doesn't play MP3 discs, but I don't have those anyway
5. NO REMOTE CONTROL when Sony's website says it has one

It does what I need it to do. The sound is not that great compared to my computer's or car stereo's sound, but it's ok for the size of the unit, and sounds way way way better than the cd clock radio that I WAS using as my cd player! I haven't used the radio or cassette yet and likely won't. I just got it to put by my bed, for playing my iPod through the audio in jack and playing cd's. For me, the cassette deck is just a bonus and nice to have if I need it sometime, since I already threw away or gave away most of my cassettes.
55 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 28, 2010
I purchased one of these for my 10x6 kitchenette. It's great for listening to the news, or popping in a cd/cassette, or even feeding in my mp3 player. Don't expect super high quality sound from speakers this size (in general). The speakers are brignt with lots of treble, which sounds better listening to classical or jazz music because the strings/horns are very clear. Plus older recordings from the 1950's/60's/70's (such as the classic jazz of the Miles Davis Quintet) were made with small transistor radios in mind. The Mega-Bass feature mainly helps you shore up the low end when you have headphones on, but can't overcome the small, low-wattage speaker system.

This unit is full of great features, with perfect dimensions for a kitchen counter-top, office desktop, workbench or dresser. The sound is appropriate for a small room-but sounds better with headphones on. The audio-in feature means that this unit can be used with any number of mp3 players, rather than just the Apple iPod. Many audio books at the library are still (and always will be) on cassette, so having the cassette option is nice. I'm buying a 2nd unit for my 8-year-old daughter who has a small bedroom, a limited budget and reasonable sound expectations.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 1, 2012
Initially I ordered another CD Player that was somewhat smaller and lighter than the Sony. Unfortunately, that player was defective (not created during shipping) as it was unable to play the last track of any CD! Also, the other unit had volume issues. I returned that initial purchase and went with the Sony.....great choice too.

The Sony, while a bit larger and heavier, is still pretty compact. Best of all the sound quality (at least to my ear) is that of a much more expensive player! Really sounds top notch.

Finally, there is the various kind of media it can play from.

I have a vast collection of CDs, but my sons are always trying to interest me in using MP3 technology, and with my new Sony, I may just branch-out and explore these "new music frontiers".

Great buy!
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2010
I bought this because I didn't have good all-around (radio and CD) sound source while working in the garden. I was surprised to find I could set it inside my patio door and clearly hear music and commentary about 50 feet away at three quarters volume. The sound does not suffer much when you crank it up all the way. The sound is strong on battery power too.
My wife is already planning to use it inside the house and on trips when she exercises, to provide audible, good quality workout music.
The front controls are logical and easy to use, and look like they would hold up to outdoor/casual use. This boombox is a very handy size and weight, considering the features and good sound. The antenna is effective, sturdy, and tucks away under the flush handle for some protection. (The handle does have a squared off edge, and might not be comfortable for carrying for miles.) A very well thought out design overall.
I chose the Sony brand because other manufacturer's boomboxes and undercabinet systems we tried earlier had poor reception or reliability. One of those even ruined any disk you put in it. No problems with our Sony kitchen unit, and we are hoping for the same with this boombox.
I shop by price, and paid $50, about $20 more than some other brands. Those had poor reviews for sound or reliability, or lacked features like audio input. Mostly, I was put off by the bulky designs and strange protruberances. I would have liked this Sony better if it came in a more attractive color than matte gray for the case (the front is more attractive, but still basic). It's already showing fingerprints on top (the cassette and CD compartment covers). I also don't care for the markings on the cassette buttons, which are mono-color stampings, nearly impossible to see in dim light. My final gripe is the lack of storage for the power cord, which must be removed to run on battery power. I found a small drawstring mesh bag around the house, and looped the cord over the boombox handle. Otherwise someone in this household would lose that cord in a heartbeat. It would have been nice if the audio-in cable was supplied, instead of just a jack, but I suppose they had to economize somewhere.
I'm hoping for many years of clear music and radio entertainment from this player.
on August 26, 2012
This player is so so. The radio and CD player work well, and the sound is pretty good. BUT, the audio cassette player leaves something to be desired. Once the tape finishes playing, OR you get done rewinding or FF a tape, the player doesn't click off. I think it just keeps running. This mangled one of my IRREPLACEABLE tapes. Luckily the tape didn't break and I was able to manually wind it back up, but I will NEVER use the audio tape player ever again. Beware of this machine if you plan to play audio tapes on it.
77 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2012
The product has worked very well. The CD and Tape player were the reason the system was purchase. Am very pleased with the CD. The picture of the system indicates that a remote control is included. The system does not come with a remote control.
55 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2010
A gift replacement for my 20-year old boombox. FM station come in surprising well by comparison in my not-so-great location vis-a-vis area broadcast tower. Excellent sound for such a small unit. Diagram and instructions for "automatic" presetting of stations is confusing to say the least but an alternative is offered "If station cannot be preset automatically" works fine as described.
33 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2012
I have had the SONY CFD-S05 for several weeks now, and it does exactly what I need it to. I have it sitting on my desk so that I can listen to a CD, tape (use Type I normal tape only) or the radio while I am working or moving around. I have used all three media and I love it. The sound is good, and all of the controls are on the front and are at my fingertips. I particularly like being able to set my CDs to repeat so that I don't need to be bothered pressing the "start" button unnecessarily. Since I am in a small space I don't play the unit loudly so am not concerned with the volume that it will crank out. The specifications sheet states that the CD player produces sound in the 20HZ to 20,000KHz range, but I am sure that the small speakers don't produce that range. However, you might get it from good headphones. Still, it is pleasant and more than acceptable. I have played classical music (Sinfonias by Waldo de los Rios remains a real treat), Gerry Rafferty, Emmylou Harris, Judy Collins and Eva Cassidy, and I just listened to two hours of Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion on tape. I initially tried to play a decades-old cassette tape on it and found it difficult to close the tape player lid. However, I had no such problem with new tapes. A couple of things that could be improved include having the headphone input on the front of the unit, and having a larger indicator for the CD play mode (such as repeat, shuffle or random play) -- I need to use a magnifying glass to read the setting. However, I find this to be a good unit and heartily recommend it.