5.0 out of 5 stars A great 5" monitor
I've had the CLM-V55 for only a few hours but I'm totally impressed.

Published on March 12, 2011 by Kirk Candlish

3.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work well with the Canon 5d!
Published on April 9, 2011 by Jerry

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 5" monitor, March 12, 2011
Kirk Candlish (Santa Barbara, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony CLM-V55 5-Inch Portable LCD Monitor for DSLR cameras (Camera)
I've had the CLM-V55 for only a few hours but I'm totally impressed.

I was able to visually calibrate and get good color and contrast quickly. The presets of 9300K, 7200K and 6500K are readily tweeked with the Color tone (Phase), brightness, contrast and backlight adjustments. Popping in and out of the menu for these is quick and deliberate. There were no surprises reviewing footage on a fully calibrated editing monitor.

Peaking works like it should and if your res is 800X480 or higher you can go 1:1 and check focus at the center of the image quite effectively.

The preset 16:9 or 4:3 guides can be set at 80% or 90% to allow plenty of safety.

The pop up hood is sweet. It gives good shading in the full sun while never limiting a quick glance from off center. It snaps back down easily and becomes a good travel protection. The included soft cloth drawstring bag can easily hold the CLM-V55 with the hood and a battery attached.

The Auto-Lock shoe mount swivels and tilts easily with a good amount of resistance to keep it right where you put it, no creeping or sagging after you take your hand off. It's light and easy to work handheld with the CLM-V55 on top of the 5DII and 7D.

Battery life is very good. I ran it for a couple of hours and popped the battery back in the charger where it fully recharged in about an hour. Batteries are light and cheap so I don't feel a need to tether it to another battery system.

The included mini-HDMI to HDMI cable feels very solid and has a just the right amount of flexibility so that it stays put.

SONY has brought a great little 5" display to the market at a competitive price.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is useful, May 31, 2011
Martin Phillips "Tigger" (Dublin, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this display to use with my Nikon D300s, hooking it up to the HDMI output on the camera. The intention is to view still photos on the larger 5" screen immediately after capture instead of the 3" static display on the back of the camera. Why? because it is easier and quicker to assess the quality of a still photograph on a larger screen than it is on a smaller screen. I wanted 7" but decided to try the 5" Sony.

For hand held still photography, the display can be rotated to lie parallel to the lens. It does not have to stand vertically as in the photos of the gear. However, with it vertical or flat and parallel to the lens, it did not get in the way of shooting. I soon got used to it. One drawback, to fill the 5" screen when mounted on Nikon D300s, I have to press the the D300s enlarge button once. You can use the D300s enlarge button to full extent if you wish (13x) but to fill the screen you need to push it once.

Anything you can display on the D300s rear screen is displayed on the Sony 5" screen but not as the same time. It is one or the other. The 5" screen improves using live view on the D300s.

Was I able to assess photos more easily and quicker than on the 3" screen? Definitely!

I also used the 5" screen with the D300s on a tripod. I am pleased with how it works in both the landscape and portrait mode on a tripod. I do a lot of portrait shots using a tripod, much more than landscape.

Construction is Sony quality.

I am happy with the purchase. Any questions, just ask, I will see if I can answer them.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best choice for Videographer, May 30, 2011
I shoot video for weddings.
I use two cameras, Canon EOS7D.
Very beautiful picture with these cameras. Very cool pictures, like to a CINEMA !
I already have a monitor Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI. He worked six months already.
And when I buy a second camera 7D, I decide to buy a new monitor from SONY.
I like its design. It's convenient! It is compact.
And it is important to monitor has excellent protection LCD!!!!
I lift four weddings already.
Monitor from SONY is very beautiful!
I use one QM91D battery for full day!!!
Russian wedding is 12-14 hours of work!
Monitor SONY CLM-V55 is a better choice for wedding videography!
I recommend it to anyone who used the camera VDSLR Canon 7D!
my fotos with tihis monitor!:
[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Does NOT work well with the Canon 5d!, April 9, 2011
This monitor is fantastic and very clear ... BUT it does not upscale the image with the 5d when you hit record. This problem is obviously well known since Marshall and SmallHD have products out with that feature. So if you plan on using it with the Canon 5D, don't but this product. It shrinks down to the same size screen as the camera LCD! Defeats the whole point! Sony decided not to add the most important feature for us Canon 5D users. Pretty stupid. I was going to rave about this monitor too.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Power at all! Batteries not included!!, June 10, 2013
Ali Nasseh (BOSTON, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Ok. I just received this today but had to make this review because I had ordered this monitor with expedited shipping so I could use it on a shoot tomorrow... it arrives and it has no means of power out of the box! No battery! no power cord! No nothing! In turns out that both the battery and the AC adaptor are accessories that are optional!! Uh, yes, I pay around $400 for something that cant' be turned on?! It says on the manual that they only recommend Sony brand batteries but they don't include it. Did they actually think people buy these for decoration? What's the excuse for not including any means to power?!!! I'm very disappointed. The product description should read, in bold print, batteries not included!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked on Nikon D800 DSLR and Sony NX30U Cam, November 22, 2012
Chris (California) - See all my reviews
I Purchased to use on a Nikon D800 DSLR and the a Sony NX30U Camcorder to help with manual focusing on a larger screen (5 inches vs 3). Below are my personal feedback.

Pro:
* 5 inches monitor - D800 and NX30U Camcorder can leverage the full screen.
* light weight/slim size even with battery
* included with two adjustable flash mounts (standard and sony DSLR mount)- monitor can also be using any mini/or other ball tripod mount.
* It use the standard sony battery - which can be easy obtain from a third party maker (can be pretty cheap)
* HDMI cable is included (Mini HDMI to HDMI)
* Support head phone connector
* ease of setting
* Foldable Hood (sun shade) is included, when folded its protect the screen.
* Monitor pouch is included

Cons:
* No battery or charger are included
* Not a very high resolution monitor
* Does not have HDMI output (no issue for me)
* Hood (Sun Shade) does not work well to see clear in the sun.
* slow turn on (startup)
* Out of the box the colors is not match with the camera - Adjust the monitor to match with you camera monitor before recording (this is not really a cons - most monitor you will have to do this)

Since i can live with the slow startup and have the spares batteries/charges available without the addtional purchase and the 5 inches really help with video im happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for VDSLR or even general photography - Very Light!, November 7, 2012
Shawn C. (Columbus Ohio) - See all my reviews
I love this thing - I use it all the time for shooting video with the A77 + A99 cameras. It really helps manual focusing so much because it has a 1x zoom you can use ALL the time.
Really REALLY loving it on the a99 - since now you can look at the on-body LCD for all your shooting parameters and simultaneously use this monitor in video mode (only).

Light as a feather and comes with not only the Sony/Minolta mount but also a standard ISO shoe mount. I've used this for hours and hours and not run down the battery. The built-in hood/loupe is just a bonus.

On a side note - I haven't found the peaking function to really work that well.

BUT...and this is key - you can use focus peaking AND zoom at the same time! It's not an "either or" scenario.

Get one if you shoot video. It's also great after a day of shooting stills to review pictures back on - my kids can see the pics in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for amateurs and professionals., August 30, 2012
I bought this monitor a while back this year to go with my Sony HDR-CX560v camcorder. I was looking for a field monitor not only for recording footage at a better angle for a more professional touch, but also for reviewing footage instantly and getting to see a bigger and clearer image in detail. So far, this monitor has not disapointed with a high quality finish Sony always delivers, and supports full 1080P resolution for recording and playback. Very impressive for such a small monitor, hence the expensive price tag on this, but for all it can do, i'm very impressed by it.

It offers "Peaking" support for both DSLR and compatible Camcorder models(mostly a feature for DSLRs really), it features both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios with variable viewing ratios if you want smaller viewing angles such as(4:3,90%,80% 16:9,90%,80%). It also features color temp control for 9300k, 7200k, and 6500k depending upon your settings to match the brightness and color ratio of whats displayed on the camcorders LCD screen. You can also zoom into scenes and objects on the monitor via the click wheel without having to manually zoom in from the camera.

It has a handy, folding hood shade that can be removed from the monitor that offers a view in bright sunlight. Much easier when the monitor has the shade on than looking at the LCD screen on the camera which can be washed out by sunlight and make you lose your shot. Place it onto a shooting grip and filming with the monitor is a dream when compared to viewing the LCD. It just feels more natural and you take out that struggle of dealing with shooting in bright sunlight.

It also has two interchangable screw mounts. One designed for DSLR docking slots, and one flat shoe mount for shooting grips or camera brackets. It comes with a small mini HDMI cable, has a headphone jack for audio monitoring, and does support a DC in port if your recording in a studio setting without having to rely on a battery.

Overall, I really like it. Its perfect for either photographers or videographers, DSRL's or Camcorder. If you want to add a little more stability and are going for a professional flaire, a monitor is a must. It really does change the dynamic of your filming when you have an increased view and closer detail of whats in front of you. Ive filmed a few things with it, and I pay much more attentions to what im doing rather than relying on the camcorder LCD, and sometimes I miss stuff that I wish I could have gone back and gotten into frame. The monitor definately takes care of that issue for me now. I really suggest it if you have the money, it is expensive since its pretty much a condensed HDTV monitor you can back away in your camera bag. But for all it can do, I have not regretted purchasing it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, October 14, 2011
This is perfect for what we do, very sharp quality and easy to use. Everything is great on it, the only complaint I would have it that it doesn't fill the whole screen when using a canon 7D but that's the cameras fault, other than that I would totally recommend this. We shoot on a daily basis and it comes in very handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agreed - Excellent Monitor, March 15, 2011
I'm using this on a Nikon D7000 and it works really well. Great image quality, flexible mounting and good battery life, even with the small NPFM500H.