4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound
Published on February 28, 2011 by Gary

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Stereo System
This is a great little stereo for the money, can't go wrong.

PROS:
-Great sound quality: music is clear and the bass is good for having no sub.
-Has iPod dock, Audio-In port, CD player, and radio.

CONS:
Published on July 20, 2011 by martin864

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, February 28, 2011
This review is from: Sony CMTMX500i Desktop Micro System (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
After comparing several models from different manufacturers, I told myself I would not get this Sony micro system. It has no USB and the output power is only 60W. Other models like JVC and Sharp have more value as they priced lower. However, to my surprise, this unit gives me the best sound quality amount other models available on today's market. Having USB input and WMA playing ability is good, but the whole purpose for buying a stereo is to listen to music with good sound quality. MP3 and WMA files, as being compressed, reduced the music quality comparing to CD. This unit gives me all the fine details of music notes. Micro system does not design to use in a large area like living room, so 60W is more than enough for my master bedroom. I am very glad to pick this one up. I just cannot settle for other models.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Stereo System, July 20, 2011
This is a great little stereo for the money, can't go wrong.

PROS:
-Great sound quality: music is clear and the bass is good for having no sub.
-Has iPod dock, Audio-In port, CD player, and radio.

CONS:
-Radio tuning is extremely slow since there is no turn knob, just a button. However, you can set favorite stations for faster tuning.
-The receiver doesn't have all the controls for the stereo (all of the controls are on the clicker)
-Lack of EQ controls (only bass and treble)

If you're willing to spend a little more money, then I would skip this stereo system. However, for this price it's a great system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound, February 27, 2012
I'm a 20 year old college student and I was looking for a shelf stereo to play my iPhone. I'm an iPhone 4S user and it works perfectly with the shelf unit. I can use Spotify, scroll thru my iPod list with the Sony remote. It's very easy to use and the SOUND IS AMAZING. Sound level on 20 is extremely loud for me. I would recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars No USB, February 8, 2011
James Wilson (New Jersey (USA)) - See all my reviews
I guess I got fooled like the others did; while the title states USB port, and the picture clearly shows one, there isn't any. As already mentioned, it's only on the "European" version of the product. How asinine is that? Guess the folks in the USA haven't caught up their European counterparts and have any USB devices. There's not even a headphone jack, which coincidentally is also only offered in the European version. What was Sony thinking?

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not last 4 months before it started skipping my CD's, April 20, 2012
I bought this item in December to replace a small sony stereo system that the speakers gave out on. I like this one because it looked old school with the big knob on the front. I only use this of CD's so I can't report on the rest of the features. But it lasted about 4 months before it started to skip my CD's. My CD's play in all my other devies and never skip,even new CD's right out of the package skip now also. I even cleaned the inside of the CD player to see if that would help but did not. Sony is not what it used to be. My old Sony still plays great and it is 6 years old it just needs new speakers which is what I should of done now that I know this CD player is junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted this for years, February 1, 2013
I have wanted a 'proper hifi' for years and this is it. What is not shown is that the iPod dock actualy closes up behind a door giving a sleek appearance. Especially is like me you do not have an iPod! I wanted something for my CD's (excellent) and FM Radio (outstanding). I also use the front input jack to stream Tune-In Radio from my PC. Smart case and tidy speakers. Very quick set up. Very hghly recommended, quality item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony CMT-MX 550i, December 27, 2011
I found this on Amazon's website and decided to go searching for it at a store in my area. I found the price to be reasonable compared to other systems and after setting it up, (Which was very simple)I absolutely love it. I like the style, the sound is excellent compared to my old JVC shelf system. I primarily bought this shelf system to replace a worn out CD player and for the I pod docking capabilities. I found it to be simple to use and I really like being able to change the song on my i pod from across the room. It is an excellent buy as an additional system or as a primary system. I purchased this system for my home office/den. I have seen some negative reviews regarding the lack of a USB port but I was not really looking for that specific feature so it is an excellent buy for someone just looking for quality sound and an easy to use system without a huge price tag.

3.0 out of 5 stars A MIXED BAG, January 12, 2014
The sound is great. Sony nailed that, but I cannot get any radio reception and I have tried everything...yes that too.
I finally solved the problem of sending this, ( really somewhat large micro system) back by just hooking up my Sansa and using the radio through a connecting line.
Which brings me to another problem: This units' contact points regarding the line you run from the mp3 player to the main units audio in is demanding. It needs a gold tipped male to female opening both from the mp3 and to the unit or it crackles.
Why did I keep this? It was the Holidays and shipping this back would have been a nightmare. Besides it really sounds great; it just needed more than I expected, to enjoy all the available functions.
I would have given 5 stars if I didn't have to use a dedicated Sansa for the radio function or buy gold platted connecting wires.
Yet I am finally pleased and enjoying it.
No I would not suggest this to a friend...maybe an enemy but not a friend

4.0 out of 5 stars 7 out of 10, February 11, 2013
I use this as an alarm clock and to drive speakers that I have set up on the patio, garage, master bath, etc. It works as advertised and comes in a nice small form factor. It's probably best suited for an office or dorm room.

It might just be me, but the controls are not very intuitive. If you want to use some of the functions available (e.g., timing functions for the alarm mode), you'll have to read the manual. The iPod doc works, but it's not very user friendly. You'll have to remove any covers from your phone to properly seat the phone on to the dock. The iPhone charging mode only appears to work when the stereo is "ON" (i.e., you can't really just use it to charge your phone). I suppose you could turn the stereo ON, turn the volume down, and then use it to charge your phone, but that seems odd to me.

If you were looking for a reasonably inexpensive stereo in a small form factor, this is a reasonable choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Use in an Office Setting, February 7, 2013
I purchased this Sony shelf system two months ago for use in my wellness center. The stereo is attractive and takes up very little space. The sound quality is superb and the system plays both regular CDs and MP3 CDs. It also has an iPod port, though I have yet to use it. The remote is easy to use and comes with batteries. The only thing that I would change about the product is the digital clock as the time only displays for a few seconds after you call it up using the remote. I would have preferred that the current time be constantly displayed. Minor issue. The product is well worth the money, especially if you are using it in an office setting.

Rate and Discover Movies