1,231 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the Sandisk Ultra class-10 card by a huge margin
Over the past decade I have purchased dozens of memory cards. My two favorite brands are Sandisk and Transcend since they always give consistent (though maybe unexceptional) performances. Recently I bought this Sony 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC R40 Memory Card (SR32UYA/TQMN) during a Gold Box deal, and it turns out to be my best microSDHC card.

I tested this Sony...
Published 14 months ago by NLee the Engineer

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the Sandisk Ultra class-10 card by a huge margin, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Sony 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC R40 Memory Card (SR32UYA/TQMN) (Personal Computers)

I tested this Sony card using several benchmark programs, including CrystalDiskMark v3.01, Flash Memory Toolkit v2.0, and H2testw v1.4. See the pictures I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section for benchmark details. Here is a summary of my results:

- The Sony UHS-1 card delivered an amazing Sequential Write speed of 20.75MB/s. In comparison, the SanDisk Ultra UHS-1 microSDHC Card SDSDQUA-032G-U46A only delivered 12.6MB/s in the same test. So although both cards are marketed as 'class-10', the Sony card is 65% faster than the Sandisk one.

- The sequential Read speed was measured at 35MB/s, which is actually limited by the USB2.0 port I used. With a USB3.0 port I expect it to read much faster. (The card is advertised as '40MB/s') <-- [See update below]

- The Random Write speed of smaller files (1MB-15MB each) is equally impressive at around 20MB/s. In contrast, most other cards give much slower Random Write speed than Sequential Write speed. Random Write speed is especially important when the card is used in a digital camera, for example.

The Sony UHS1 card is faster than all my other microSDHC cards except for the Lexar microSDHC 300x UHS-I Card LSDMI32GBBNL300R. The two are actually neck-and-neck in performance, but the Lexar costs over twice as much. Currently both Sony and Sandisk UHS1 microSDHC cards are available at nearly identical prices, so the Sony card is definitely the best value.

[Side Notes]
- The capacity of this '32GB' card, as reported by my computer, is just 29.5GB. This is actually normal because computer people count one 'Gig' as "2 to the power 30", which is 7.3% larger than one billion. So 29.5GB come to about 31.7 billion bytes, which is rounded up to '32GB' by marketing people.
- The card comes formated in 'FAT32'. If you want to store video file greater than 4GB, you need to reformat it to 'exFET'.
- The actual microSDHC card is made in Taiwan, but on the SD-adapter it says "Made in China" which may be confusing.
- On the package there is an offer to download a free "Memory Card File Rescue" program from Sony web site. I don't see it as very useful since it allegedly does not work with non-Sony memory cards.

[Update on Dec 26, 2013]
I re-tested this Sony microSDHC card on an USB 3.0 port. The sequential Read speed jumped from 34.8MB/s to 47.3MB/s, which is better than the advertised '40MB/s'. The Sequential Write speed remains virtually uncharged at 20.6MB/s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fast microSD card, May 7, 2013
Lenny (FREMONT, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I couldn't get this card during the lightning deal a couple of days ago, but it turned out that a local B&M store was selling it for slightly less, so I picked it up there. I bought this card for about 10% above the market price for a decent microSD card of the same size, and the rating takes that price into account. At $30 (the Amazon price as I'm writing this) I'd rate it 4 stars.

It comes with a SD adapter and no plastic clamshell case. It has a 1 year limited warranty (only the memory card is covered, not your equipment or data - pretty standard). The microSD says "Made in Taiwan" but the packaging says "Made in China". Card comes formatted in FAT32 and doesn't contain anything - a URL is given on the packaging if you want to download x-Pict Story slideshow creator or File Rescue.

I tested this card using a Transcend USB 3.0 Super Speed Multi-Card Reader for SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/CF Cards (TS-RDF8K). The Transcend reader has a slot for microSD so I used that. I used h2testw which writes a series of large files with pseudo-random data, testing speed and data integrity at the same time.

Write speed is quite decent at 18.2 MB/s. Read speed, as advertised, is 40.7 MB/s. No errors were encountered.

This card tested significantly faster than my SanDisk Ultra MicroSD 32GB. I will be using this in my GoPro Hero3 Black and I don't expect any issues (I will definitely update this review if I encounter any). Note that to take full advantage of the read speed, you'll want to remove the card from whatever device you're using it in and read it with a USB 3.0 or Firewire 800 card reader.

Edit to add : I had no issues using this in my Hero 3 Black Edition. I tested at 720p 120 fps with ProTune enabled, which seems to be the setting that gives trouble with some memory cards. I've also tested 1080p-60 without problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked fine, and then suddenly stopped, and Sony replaced it...replacement died, July 24, 2013
This card worked beautifully for 9 weeks, during which I accessed the card about once every couple of days. I had purchased it for my phone to store photos and music. This morning when I woke up the phone requested that I put in a card, and claimed the current one was unmounted. Seemed odd. I rebooted the phone twice, and it still couldn't read the card. I took the card out and put it back in, still no luck. I put in a different card that we had in the house for something else and sure enough the phone read it just fine. I put the Sony card back in since I know the device was working fine and it still wouldn't read it. I tried to read the card on my computer and the computer will not identify that there is a card.

I understand that it is rare for a card to die like this. I've had many SD and micro SD cards over the years and this is the only one it has happened to. I would normally think I just happened to get a random flawed card but another reviewer seems to have had the same problem I have had. Maybe it is a fluke that the same thing happened to two people. I would encourage any buyer to read the reviews to see if this is a trend with phones and this card.

*UPDATE 1* I called Sony's customer service and got a very helpful associate. The associate is having me ship the card to Sony's repair department to see what is wrong with the card. I will post an update once the repair department gets back to me.

*UPDATE 2* I have increased the rating from 1 star to 4 stars because of Sony's response to the defective card. This afternoon I received a replacement card from Sony. It's a new card in its original packaging. I will see how this one holds up and change the rating accordingly. Sony's customer service was very good for this product. I was told it would take 10 to 14 days after they receive it to find out what the next course of action was. A new one was shipped out 13 days after they had received the defective one.

*UPDATE 3* 8/20/14 The replacement card which was not used in a phone this time died. It was used a handful of times. This evening I put the card in the card adapter and the card wouldn't read. The card also go very hot in a span of 2 minutes. We tried a different adapter and the same thing happened. I've reduced the rating back down to a 1 because I have now had 2 cards that have failed after minimal use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, November 11, 2014
I bought a Sony MicroSD card in March from Amazon. When it went bad a few months later, I tried going through Sony's support. They don't have any support for their memory cards. I asked what was the point of a warranty and nobody could help me. Simply put, they don't have a department that deals with the memory cards. I spent an hour with their online support only to be told that they can't do anything and to call their support phone number. I spent another 3 hours on the phone getting transferred around and getting disconnected. Each and every time I would have to explain the situation again, go through the same troubleshooting script they have, and be told that they don't handle this type of problem and would transfer me (or try to transfer me and then I'd get disconnected) to someone else. Do yourself a favor, try to contact them about a failed memory card and spend the next few hours seeing how bad their support it, and then spend your money on a different brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebadged Samsung?, March 14, 2014
I bought this card last week during the gold box sale. I'm altogether pretty impressed. Can't compare it to a SanDisk Ultra card because I don't have one to compare, but I ran a few benchmarks with the card.

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 Shizuku Edition X64:
Seq Read speed ~ 86.48MB/s
Seq Write speed ~ 22.55MB/s

H2testw:
Seq Read ~ 62.3MB/s
Seq Write ~ 19.4MB/s

The difference between these two tests was with CrystalDisk I choose test file size of 1000MB, the default setting. In H2testw I choose one 4GB file. Write speed seems consistent across the two benchmarks, read speeds seem to differ a bit I'm guessing due to file size. This card seems blazing fast to me, a lot faster than advertised. Although I did test this on my laptop that came with a RealTek PCIe media card reader, so that might explain why I got faster numbers than a few other reviews as the other reviews used an external card reader.

The card doesn't come with much, just the card and the adapter, no plastic case or any documentation. Although I'd like to have the plastic case, I'm not losing sleep over it. At $36 for 64GB, it's a steal. There's one caveat, if you're getting this card for your phone, don't expect to be seeing speeds posted above. As I understand it (after having bought the card), the only phones that take advantage of the UHS-1 speeds are Galaxy S4/Note 3 running the Exynos processors, not even the ones running the Snapdragon 800 are capable of UHS-1 speeds. It's kind of disappointing as I got this card for my Note 3, but this is not the fault of the card.

That said, this card has surpassed all my expectations of it. I would have been happy if it just met the 40MB/s read speed advertised, beating the SanDisk Ultra card. This card may also hold another surprise, although I'm not quite sure if I can confirm this. I wasn't able to find any programs or utilities in Windows that can read the info on the card and give me the manufacturer of the card, but on my phone I downloaded an app called SD Insight in the Play Store, the app said the manufacturer of this card is Samsung, kind of make sense as the card is made in Korea. But that was the only app that I could find that would give me manufacturer information, so I've got nothing else to confirm it with. But regardless if it was Samsung or not, this card deserves 5 stars.

I've also uploaded 2 pictures to the pictures section of this card showing the 2 benchmarks that I ran so you can see for yourself. I like the card so much I'm trying to think of other needs I might have for it so that I can pick up a few more the next time it goes on sale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, fast card at a good price - ~1GB/min, April 11, 2013
Benchmarks are below. Copying large 1+GB files from the laptop (Z580) through the built-in SD card reader copies at a rate of about 1GB per minute. 3-4x faster than my Class 4 Kingston MicroSD card on the same, so definitely noticable speed increase.
Just got it, so no issues encountered yet. Will report back if there are any.

CrystalDiskMark 3.0.2 Shizuku Edition x64 (C) 2007-2013 hiyohiyo
Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 2.806 MB/s [ 685.1 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.473 MB/s [ 115.5 IOPS]
Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.026 MB/s [ 738.9 IOPS]
Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.480 MB/s [117.2]

Test : 100 MB [G: 88.0% (13.0/14.7 GB)] (x1)
Date : 2013/04/11 22:59:33
OS : Windows 7 Home Premium Edition SP1 [6.1 Build 7601] (x64)

5.0 out of 5 stars great memory card for gopro hero3, July 18, 2013
bought this memory card to use with my gopro hero3
it works right out of the box i can take videos at 1080 at 30fps with no problems

5.0 out of 5 stars Great micro card at an amazing price, February 4, 2014
Great micro card for smartphone...holds tons of data plus the class 10's transfer rate is pretty fast. Also the adapter is included. Even better price than you can find on Ebay. You won't be disappointed here...even with the great price Amazon offers...I managed to snag it for less than $9

5.0 out of 5 stars Gopro, February 5, 2014
I use this for skydiving with my go pro. It works great and was a deal to buy. Happy here....

5.0 out of 5 stars Memory cards, February 28, 2014
The only reason that I purchased this item is because it went on sale. I've never owned a SONY memory card before but I can say that I'm happy with the results. It does what it's supposed to do and I haven't had any issues